Spartans Home

BF3 Beta - pro n cons

Batwing~SPARTA~

Ok, I have never had to do this yet as a moderator but I must say, "Be careful Rooster90" This is a thread on our forum, not EA and is for people to list their Pro n Cons. Which up to now they have done amicably.

It almost sounds like people went into this ready to hate on it, ready to give any excuse to not like it. It sounds like a bunch of noobs trying to find an excuse as to why they're bad at an FPS.

This is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned and is bordering on a personal attack.

One more thing I will say though: I don't expect wholly this game to be fully bug-free and "finished" on release day.

Why? After an 'Alpha' and 'Beta' I 'always' expect to spend my money on a finished product. Agreed nothing is ever "Bug Free" but Finished? Excuse me for expecting that.

I personally expressed my pleasure at the 'Alpha' to many of our members here as they can verify and went into the 'Beta' expecting more progress than appears apparent. (this is my opinion and I am entitled to it, as you are to yours).

You say the things listed here are inconsequential but I don't remember anyone saying they were 'Deal Breakers', just things we noticed.

You obviously love the game, a few of us are reticent about certain issues, fine, we all spent our hard earned so are entitled to our opinions but please keep the comments less inflammatory.

Cheers.

Dai

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It almost sounds like people went into this ready to hate on it, ready to give any excuse to not like it.

This is a bit of a simplistic manner to archive people comments or concerns.

I honestly do not believe anyone of us jumped on this boat ready to 'hate" it or not like it or just whiny about it. I mean, I personally pre-ordered this thing, allocating 60 bucks for this game. My serious expectation is to like it, and like it a lot!

It would be quite stupid buying a game just to be entitled to say "oh, i don t like it" .. I hope there is not much of people like that out there :)

It sounds like a bunch of noobs trying to find an excuse as to why they're bad at an FPS.

And this is a comment I can get from a 12 y.o. but I am surprised is coming from you :) The "I Pawnd you" aspect of this game.. is something I thought was belonging to the age of Quake.. I think many Spartans here are playing games for the pleasure to enjoy the game, doesn t matter how much they "pawnd" or "get pawnd".

When someone reports frustration because of game settings, controls or other game behaviors are not "at par" with the expectations, just as such they have to be respected.

Let's be aware of strong language in describing our opinions of a game. Yes, they are opinions, and they all stink, but the harsher opinion on something/anything, the more it's going to piss off someone here. That being said, if you're offended by a harsh opinion, there's no sense in contributing to the lowering of the conversation by responding.

For instance, here's my opinion on pre-ordering and why it's brought gaming, esp PC gaming down so much: "Would you give a roofer or any contractor the full payment before he's even driven a nail? If you did, would you expect a finished roof? Would you be ok with a few shingles missing here and there? If there were a few shingles missing, would you trust the roofer to come back later and fix it?" (Do you Brits still use thatch? I dunno...we use shingles here :) )

I think you guys took my noob comment a bit too seriously/personally. I was just stating, in general, that's how those arguments come across to me. It certainly isn't exclusive to anything said here, it's all over the Battlelog and EA forums too. Complaining about menu options (in a Beta, mind you) is just a really trivial issue that doesn't really relate to the actual gameplay at all, which is far more important imo. If you wish to discuss actual flaws in the gameplay, that's one thing. But getting hot and bothered about how the menu is set up or that the stock key binds aren't what you're used to? I almost never change my key bind for any game, i just learn how it's mapped. Only key I've ever mapped differently is my push-to-talk button in Valve games. But I digress, I'll drop it. To each his own.

I just don't have the unreasonable expectation that the game will be flawless on release. I've yet to ever see an online-based game have a strong release in the first month for years. It is absolutely impossible. Thing of it is, the bigger and more ambitious the game, the bigger and more ambitious the bugs. I fully expect the first week of this game to be a nightmare. Hell, maybe even the first month or two. It's just the way things are in the days of highly complex and technical software. I pay for it ahead of time anyway because I have confidence that by the end of the year, the game will be amazing. DICE has shown great initiative in getting things fixed in the past. With each new game comes new problems. BC2 was absolute garbage in it's first 3-4 months. For different reasons than BF3, obviously. Black Ops... don't even get me started on how much of a hassle that game was for the first months. BF3 however shows promise. There aren't really any awful game-breaking bugs that I've experienced (CTDs, stuttering, freezing etc). The worst culprits are server crashes hindering unlock progress, occasional screen flicker, and rubber-banding in large servers.

Feature-wise, I will hold my tongue until release day. I will admit, there are a lot of things missing this late on that should be obvious to have in (joystick support, key binding, squad selection, etc) but until I see the final release, that's not anything I'm going to lose sleep over. I'll be right with you guys if those are still not implemented on Oct 25. Clearly we all went into this with very different expectations. I'm just glad to be a part of the process of making BF3 the best FPS experience out there.

Wow. I just read Dai's summary as I am downloading the game now, should be up and running in 10 minutes... but WTF? The game sounds like it is 6 months away from BETA!

I really REALLY expected DICE to put this out in a far more polished state than all these inconveniences it has. BF2 was awesome, how cold they make so many basic FUBARS with BF£, even IF this is *just* a beta, it sounds really bad. More frustration than fun, reading the above posts anyway.

I can just imagine how buzzing their forums are....

I'm not going to even ask how I find you guys online... I'll just jump in and see what happens.

ps... I'll grab the PS3 version too, maybe it's more ready to go.

Edited by Rocky

So far it runs very well and plays just like a Battlefeild game my only problem is the current key binds drive me nuts

I have always used right mouse for move forward and left control for zoom/raise weapon beyound that I think it is fine using a Q9505 (game uses 75% of 4 cores)

and I have a GTX 465.

SO Back to the game..................:gun:

I really think there has been a bit of too much excitement on these comments

Somewhat the bottom line has been misunderstood. However, to understand the concept of "expectation" one need to look outside the box and put together the Marketing effect.

EA managed to overwhelm gamers public opinion with a massive amount of communication,videos, awards as "the best game ever" (and the game was not even out) and so on and so forth.

Facebook community, IGN, CES and so forth. Now, can we say the "average", honest gamer, may have an high expectation? We saw amazing game footage... I mean, we saw all of this.

So, then we get the Beta Event and we get a product on Beta 4 weeks away from release that just objectively is missing Key features that should make this game the King of Games, based on expectations (and no, Rooster, I m not talking about menus or controls) . So I think is understandable a bitter flavor in our mouth

Is a good game, hell yes but is not what is advertised. Not yet. Art of Marketing.

Rocky stick your ingame name in this thread mate

http://www.legionofspartans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8881&st=0

Unfortunately the Origin friends list does not port directlly into game but it is very easy to add ppl when you get in anyway

Yeah, I've noticed pretty much everything negative people have to say gameplay-wise disappears after their first experience on Caspian. A true BF experience, and a spectacular wonder to behold.

Main beef with it atm though: 64 players = not enough vehicles. 48 players = not enough action. Hopefully they will give us more vehicles on release, or at least a server option to increase vehicle count. Or even better, a map that scales down to accommodate 48 players better. Keep in mind that even though this is a "medium" sized map, it is massive. I'd say it's about the size of Heavy Metal, if not bigger.

Everything about the browser, finding friends, joining servers etc is a pain in the arse. Having said that, they will all hopefully be sorted for the release.

As for gameplay, after a couple of hours I can't fault it. I like it and can't wait for the full release.

My N52te, mapped for BF2142 is working perfectly, no key issues at all.

Not experienced any kit beyond the standard plus the 870, only level 3 so far but I'm happy with the hit registry and impressed with my own accuracy over distance.

Biggest plus for me is that with my 4870 the graphics are silky smooth. I know there are a number of features switched off but it looks like my fears over card capability may be short lived. :thumbsup_anim:

Definately looking forward to release day.

I decided I am unistalling BF3 Beta.

I am very confident the vast majority of the issues I found on the beta will be addressed on final. Friends management, Platoons etc etc will be working and implemented on final. In fact, makes no sense to implement all of this on Beta when all of these data will be deleted anyway.

With that said, playing on Metro is repetitive and boring. Not having a chance to set my controls is frustrating. I can survive till release date and I will enjoy the game.

I played 30 mins and it looks awesome I've never seen a fps look so good with great frame rates (not that I count it just looked smooth). I'm not playing the beta anymore cos I don't want to be pissed off with the negatives so eloquently put by Viii and Dai. Looking forward to some games when it goes retail and the probs are fixed ROFLMAO.

Yeah, I'm not trying to focus on the Beta as much. I'm looking forward to playing the game with all the optional maps, not grinding a monotonous map.

HOWEVER - I thought, what the heck I'd play today. I tried to log into Origin, and it popped up saying my password wasn't correct. So I went through the steps on forgotten password to set a new one. Origin gives you a new UID to validate who you are in email, gives you option to change the password, and then immediately tries to log in with your new password. What ensued was a crazy series of Origin trying to log in, error out, and try to log in again.. an endless loop that I couldn't get out of without CTRL-ALT-DELETE.

Once out of the loop, I was able to log in finally.

So far so good.

My Cpu uses 80%

My Gpu uses 80-90% first time a game has used that and I must say the graphics look just as well using medium settings as they did on Ultra.

It is Battlefield and of course the same mode and map is used with the Beta. Wait till the real game is out and we will have plenty to gripe about....:gun:

I am ready for the full game and hope we have a great time.