Spartans Home

BF3 Beta - pro n cons

Batwing~SPARTA~

So guys,talk to me!

I have a few comments, some good some not so good. I really wanna like this game after all of this Buzz, but for a Beta at this stage so close to release, I m a bit scared.

Let s start with the good stuff:

- Great graphic, beutiful light effects, amazing sound

Stuff "good enough":

- This map is weird. Although it seems Big, it seems to me the routs are quite repetitive and I have a feeling like there is no choice, you have to go in very predictable directions. It is my feeling and is only one map, but is far from being an "Epic" experience.

- Animations and character graphics seems to me a bit "cartoonish". I was looking at another soldier running in front of me and movement where unnaturally fast. It is not evident, but is something I felt.

Stuff that is really bad at this stage:

- Keybinds and Settings only "in game". You gotta be kidding me. It is ridicoulos choice. However the bad part is that is severely bugged.

I cant find a way to set my preferences on my mouse bottons. This is unacceptable.

- Cannot choose what Squad join. Speachless.

- Managing the game from browser to me sucks. Or may be it sucks because is actually bugged. It is lagged. Friends in game are presented with large delay, in fact I was tryimg to join Mh6 but ghe server he was supposed to be on was crashed at least since 3 minutes.

I have high expectations for this game but honestly I m a bit deluded.

I mean, is a good game but after all of these buzzing, good is not enough. It needs to be Exvellent otherwise sucks... Unfortunally is not excellent... Yet.

I wanna stay positive. It s a Beta, possibly release will be what the Beta is not: Amazing

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you're playing an infantry-only Rush, a BC2 mode, so you're not really getting the "real" BF3 experience. Just BC2 with better gfx and sound. After playing this map for about 14 hours straight, it's not nearly as linear as some of BC2's Rush maps, but Rush is designed to be a series of funnels and chokepoints. Not going to get that big, epic feel from this game mode, regardless of map.

I personally love the browser. There's about a 5-10 second delay after somebody joins a server that it shows their in, but other than that it's worked flawlessly. Super easy and fast to get in a server. And all the stat tracking, profiles, and platoons are really cool too.

Lack of squad picking is still a big annoyance. This was in Alpha as well, but at least squad spawning works. And it generally puts you in the same squad as your friends. Having to be in-game to choose settings is a minor annoyance for me. Doesn't bother me that much. They keys are already mapped perfectly for me, so I don't have the need to bind to my mouse. Maybe knife to middle mouse, but F works just fine.

Animations... idk, subjective. I don't see how they're cartoonish, but this isn't ArmA either. It's an arcade shooter. However, players falling into the map is getting pretty old/silly, lol. Hopefully that's fixed soon.

Also keep in mind, all of this is still just beta. DICE is more worried about balance, map design, bugs, and stress testing. Not every feature is implemented yet. I have very high hopes. B-Team is loving it so far. The game is fast, brutal, and unrelenting. Weapons have power and your character has weight. Everything just plays right. Can't wait for the competitive scene to start up!

EDIT: Also, judging a game in beta after only playing about 5 games and barely ranking up or getting to really know the map is hardly enough time to start forming an educated opinion on the game. Play for a few hours more, it'll grow on you. :)

Edited by Rooster90

Also keep in mind, all of this is still just beta. DICE is more worried about balance, map design, bugs, and stress testing. Not every feature is implemented yet. I have very high hopes. B-Team is loving it so far. The game is fast, brutal, and unrelenting. Weapons have power and your character has weight. Everything just plays right. Can't wait for the competitive scene to start up!

EDIT: Also, judging a game in beta after only playing about 5 games and barely ranking up or getting to really know the map is hardly enough time to start forming an educated opinion on the game. Play for a few hours more, it'll grow on you.

As I posted above, I do agree is a Beta and I do keep my expectations high.

My comments are related to aspects of the game you can see from minute one. It can be definetely subjective, but for the most part of my comments I don t need to become a Veteran.

Not having keybinding on Mouse is annoying, but I am quite sure is just a Beta issue (it cannot be a for real on a retail copy)

The weird Squad management is a fact.

Animation is very subjective I do agree. I do not even wanna compatre to Arma about it. Fortunately is not Arma. Animations in Arma are awful.

Of course I will play more or maybe I will not play at all, because not having keys the way I have been used to have for long time is really annoying. However Beta is there to give an idea and stress testing.

It s a very good game but as I said above, after all of this buzzing.. good is not enough. I expect excellence, which is made of particulars.

We will see with the final release :)

I think the animations are fine, though there are some cases where the animation gets bugged and a soldier will look like they're running bow-legged (ankles spread waaaay too far out, compared to the knee joints)

I've also seen some cases with soldiers sinking into the terrain.

I just wish they'd open up Caspian Border already. Metro is great, but repetitive. I also don't like the beginning portion of Metro, but once the subway opens it gets better, and the city portion is amazing.

Don't have the beta yet, as my amazon pre-order wasn't worthy, so this is specific to the key binding issue at least the mouse aspect.

Not sure what mouse you're using but most if not all (even my simple MS Laser 6000) allows me to bind keys to buttons. So rather than trying to bind an action to a mouse button in game, bind the default in-game key to your mouse button. Again most mouse software allows a number of versions, I currently have 4 set-ups on the MS 6000.

As for the rest of the key commands, buy a Nostromo N52 and follow the same logic as for the mouse. never lets ne down and allows me to have the exact same keystrokes for any game, regardless of their respective defaults! :thumbsup_anim:

You would've hated the alpha, lol. There was basically nothing in the settings you could change. I'm sure key-binding for mice just hasn't been implemented yet.

And yes, Squad management is awful. That's honestly the biggest point of contention for me. I would be very upset if they released the game without being able to pick your own squads.

What a pile of shit, but it is a little bit fun to play but all the new concept ideas just will drive you crazy.

Makes BC2 look like a master stroke.

My blog @ EA

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/blogs/574118-xviiiper/3304-ea-dice-banned-who-right-mind-designed.html

Who ever says this is good, needs a shrink....

You would've hated the alpha, lol. There was basically nothing in the settings you could change. I'm sure key-binding for mice just hasn't been implemented yet.

And yes, Squad management is awful. That's honestly the biggest point of contention for me. I would be very upset if they released the game without being able to pick your own squads.

I have to disagree Rooster90, I actually preffered the Alpha, this feels like a step backwards.

First impressions:

Origin - So, we HAVE to install Origin (Steam clone), fair enough. I have no problems with that. So we all set up our friends and are ready to rock and roll. Ohh no. Will the Com Centre load your friends from Origin (even though the option is there, along with frikkin Twitter, Facebook, Mrs Jones down the roads Outlook Contact Lists)... Will it F*&% !!!!!!

Controls - Which retarded monkey decided that not only can you not configure your controls or Video/Audio options from the Browser (seeing as your forced to use it), but you actually have to SPAWN onto the battlefield itself before you can then hit ESC and make changes (all while being at the mercy of the enemy and absolutely no use to your team whatsoever)... Well ain't that dandy !!!!!!!!

Controls II - So... anyone else notice that when you do eventually find how to bind your keys that the first time you can use the mouse to select which key to bind but then the Cursor disappears and you have to save it first then go back in to do another key ad infinitum!!!!!!!!!!

Controls III - Binding Mouse buttons... We should not HAVE to use external software to remap our mouse buttons for the game to recognise a middle mouse button. That's b*&%$*x... I have an MX1000 and a Nostromo N52, neither will map the defaults without me having to use the supplied software to first remap (ie Thumb Button 1 = ; in the logitech software). Other games manage to recognise my MMB but not this one !!!!!!!!!!

Server Browser - So someone please tell me this... WHO exactly decides which 100 servers it is I see? Will it be the same 100 servers Xviiiper sees, or Carter sees... probably not because it doesn't seem to be selectable. I should see ALL the servers, but that brings me on to another browser problem... Filters... I think the same retarded Monkey from one of my previous points was employed to do this too as the filter options are so limited as to be next to useless to be honest!!!!!!!!

Gameplay - OK, so all of the above could be forgiven if this was the game to end all games and played like a dream. Unfortunately it doesn't. There are all the graphical glitches that have been mentioned by others already (ok it's a beta, these can be forgiven) but it doesn't even feel as polished as the Alpha version I played. I enjoyed that a lot more and it 'felt' better. The 'lag' in some games severely effect your enjoyment (I hit someone 7 times with the AK... I know I hit him from my PC's point of view because the 'hit' cursor flashed, I was on single shot so each hit was registered, but he then single shot me) the only thing I can think of was 'lag'. Ping wise I was fine to the server. This happened on multiple servers so was not an isolated incident.

Squad Management - Awful... Just bloody awful... The Monkey is back... How can you not pick a squad to join or create a squad, or even SEE other squads. It DOES NOT put you in squads with your Friends, it doesn't even necessarily put you on the same SIDE as your friend if you join on them. The worst indicator for me that this option will NOT be fixed in the released version is that you can't even SEE other squads in the 'TAB' screen. We will see... fingers crossed!!!!!

Platoon Management - Is there any point? I created a Platoon (whoopee). I can design (very limited) an emblem (gasp). I decided on a 'Tag' (4 letters only so ~SPARTA~ is a no go, went for LOS instead). I can invite friends to join (please see Origin section above) or they can search for the platoon and request to join. Hmmm, so how the F&*% would anyone know to search for Our platoon because the LOS 'Tag' doesn't even show up in game or on the 'Tab' screen. I say again, What's the point?

It's a shame really because I REALLY enjoyed the 'Alpha' and had high hopes for the release but to be honest I don't see any progress. I really want this to be good, but THIS feels more like an 'Alpha' than a 'Beta' and how long till release... 4 Weeks... does anyone here feel this is ready?

I enjoyed it. I think once they open up Caspian Border (passworded at the moment, but can sometimes get in with leaked passwords) it will be a whole new experience.

Most of my issues with it will most likely be resolved before release so I'm not terribly concerned.

They also have a hardcore mode, it just isn't in beta. I'm sure that will alleviate the "I shot him 10 times in the chest and he just shrugged it off, sprinted over and knifed me" problem.

I enjoyed it. I think once they open up Caspian Border (passworded at the moment, but can sometimes get in with leaked passwords) it will be a whole new experience.

Most of my issues with it will most likely be resolved before release so I'm not terribly concerned.

They also have a hardcore mode, it just isn't in beta. I'm sure that will alleviate the "I shot him 10 times in the chest and he just shrugged it off, sprinted over and knifed me" problem.

ohh please hardcore. its just bullshit, the shotgun isnt effective at all. Shooting someone at pointblank at the chest and not killing him? come on.

u mad bros?

lol, I honestly don't understand why people are so upset over not being able to change settings until you spawn. Seems like such a minor inconvenience to be so mad about. Oh no, you have to click one extra button and wait a second or two! The horror! It's not like you have to restart the game for them to take effect. Nobody seems to mention that at all. Key binding is another annoyance, but seriously, it's Beta. What do you expect? The full damn game? It's not a demo that was released a week before release. I guarantee DICE have a version of the game being tested on their systems that is far ahead of the Beta version. The only point of this Beta is to spot bugs/crashes/glitches that they can't do internally and stress-test their servers. Joystick support isn't even in the Beta version yet, but it will be in the full game (and possibly in a later version of the Beta, due to demand on Caspian Border jet pilots).

Battlelog is already being updated. Though the main reason you can't sync friends from Origin/Facebook/etc atm is because everything will be reset after the beta is done. No point, though it may sync later on down the line. Minor issue. Server browser showing 100 sucks, but honestly, how far do you even have to scroll to find one? Just filter to an empty server or one with 5+ slots and join. Then your friends/platoon join off of you. Servers fill up within 5 minutes. Not like you ever need to know the name of the server or anything. However, I do wish you could filter location for the Quick Match. Don't want to be put in some random EU server when I'm in the US. Not all the filter options have been implemented yet either. I've seen images of the final filter and there's quite a few more options. And it does show ping btw, does it not for you?

Also, tap-firing in single shot mode is actually less accurate that firing quick bursts in auto. I have yet to experience what you're experiencing, so I guess chalk that up to shite servers. BF3 has some of the best hit registration I've ever experienced, next to CS:S. And shotguns are amazing, Skaz! That's pretty much my primary weapon at all times, especially now that i have slug ammo and an acog for it. So lulzy but fun, lol. All of the issues with players going under the map I haven't seen for nearly 12 hours, so I know that got fixed. Diving to prone on certain surfaces is still a little odd sometimes though.

Remember, this is a Beta. This is not supposed to represent the final product at all. This isn't a demo of a finished product. There are so many features and settings that were not implemented for various reasons, but mainly because they weren't important to the primary goal of the beta: bug spotting and stress testing. Amazing how diametrically opposed our experiences have been. I've seen massive improvement over the Alpha, Metro is far better balanced now and Destruction is nearly finished being implemented. Weapons feel great and kill fast, idk what you guys are talking about, lol.

You guys just need to play with us some time and have some fun. We play Caspian a lot now.

Our platoon: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2826550451850589652/

Our livestream: http://bf3stream.com/ (Replays going when we aren't playing live)

We're officially the most popular stream and soon the most popular BF3 team out there. Come join the fun and play with us in Mumble!

EDIT: proof of shotgun pwnage, look at my top weapon, lol. http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/Thronewolf/stats/185130883/

Edited by Rooster90

ohh please hardcore. its just bullshit, the shotgun isnt effective at all. Shooting someone at pointblank at the chest and not killing him? come on.

Didn't you play BC2? Same shit. Just play hardcore and use a better shotgun, and you'll be a lot happier.

So guys,

I really like the positive attitude from Rooster, I really do.

He is good to remind us this is a Beta. I decided to cool down my feelings a lot about this "experience". I guess I mistake the concept of Beta with Demo. Beta is supposed to be bad or not working.

I do feel DaiSan frustration tho. And I didn t test the Alpha, so I have no comparison to bring on the table.

I highlighted my concerns already, so I am not gonna repeat them. I am not even sure I will play this thing that much till the Retail version because in my Noobiness, control issue is a major issue to me.

On the side, very weird I was not even able to have the Mouse software (razer) able to work on game. Mouse software binds my keys perfectly (tested on a text editor) but once in game, they do not work anymore. I can t sort this out so before getting to mad I just archived it as total failure :)

I got a "taste" of this thing with this Beta. My only concern is being 4 weeks to delivery, things were supposed to be stellar are not so stellar.

After all of this Ad messages, buzzing, smashing player balls with BF3 Winner here and there.. honestly, the Marketing around this product is MASSIVE, I do not settle down for a good game (which actually is), I want a fuc**&^%@g stellar game, attention to particulars, team management (a bit) and all of the other nicities we were supposed to get.. so I am a bit concerned :)

I will follow Rooster, I will stay positive!! Not much I can do, I already ordered the game :) I already spent my money, so better be good at release ;)

u mad bros?

lol, I honestly don't understand why people are so upset over not being able to change settings until you spawn. Seems like such a minor inconvenience to be so mad about. Oh no, you have to click one extra button and wait a second or two! The horror! It's not like you have to restart the game for them to take effect. Nobody seems to mention that at all. Key binding is another annoyance, but seriously, it's Beta. What do you expect? The full damn game? It's not a demo that was released a week before release. I guarantee DICE have a version of the game being tested on their systems that is far ahead of the Beta version. The only point of this Beta is to spot bugs/crashes/glitches that they can't do internally and stress-test their servers. Joystick support isn't even in the Beta version yet, but it will be in the full game (and possibly in a later version of the Beta, due to demand on Caspian Border jet pilots).

Battlelog is already being updated. Though the main reason you can't sync friends from Origin/Facebook/etc atm is because everything will be reset after the beta is done. No point, though it may sync later on down the line. Minor issue. Server browser showing 100 sucks, but honestly, how far do you even have to scroll to find one? Just filter to an empty server or one with 5+ slots and join. Then your friends/platoon join off of you. Servers fill up within 5 minutes. Not like you ever need to know the name of the server or anything. However, I do wish you could filter location for the Quick Match. Don't want to be put in some random EU server when I'm in the US. Not all the filter options have been implemented yet either. I've seen images of the final filter and there's quite a few more options. And it does show ping btw, does it not for you?

Also, tap-firing in single shot mode is actually less accurate that firing quick bursts in auto. I have yet to experience what you're experiencing, so I guess chalk that up to shite servers. BF3 has some of the best hit registration I've ever experienced, next to CS:S. And shotguns are amazing, Skaz! That's pretty much my primary weapon at all times, especially now that i have slug ammo and an acog for it. So lulzy but fun, lol. All of the issues with players going under the map I haven't seen for nearly 12 hours, so I know that got fixed. Diving to prone on certain surfaces is still a little odd sometimes though.

Remember, this is a Beta. This is not supposed to represent the final product at all. This isn't a demo of a finished product. There are so many features and settings that were not implemented for various reasons, but mainly because they weren't important to the primary goal of the beta: bug spotting and stress testing. Amazing how diametrically opposed our experiences have been. I've seen massive improvement over the Alpha, Metro is far better balanced now and Destruction is nearly finished being implemented. Weapons feel great and kill fast, idk what you guys are talking about, lol.

You guys just need to play with us some time and have some fun. We play Caspian a lot now.

Our platoon: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2826550451850589652/

Our livestream: http://bf3stream.com/ (Replays going when we aren't playing live)

We're officially the most popular stream and soon the most popular BF3 team out there. Come join the fun and play with us in Mumble!

EDIT: proof of shotgun pwnage, look at my top weapon, lol. http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/Thronewolf/stats/185130883/

Because, IT'S DUMB,

DUMB DUMB DUMB, it's SHIT,

SHIT SHIT SHIT,

IT's COD

IT's CRAP

It's so shit, I pulled out of server rental !!

And no one is really upset, they are disappointed.

p.s. the 580 GTX will play ULTRA 1920x1200 50+ Frames per second DUAL monitors.

MONSTER card.

I wonder if you ever played BF2?

BF2 v BF3 beta, two totally different games, I mean beta....

There is 4 WEEKS to go to final,m this beta is practically FINAL.

IF you love kiddie shooters, your going to love/hate this....

bitchin over,

My blog:

NO EXCUSES DICE. (Beta) DAY 1

Are we stupid? no but DICE is making us look stupid.

Options? there is none, till you waste 30mins of your life looking, giving up and then going into game and getting pis-sed off and then pressing ESC to see, Hey, there's the OPTIONS menu.

Someone @ DICE needs an Infraction.

Infraction 1.

Next Server list, Who in their right mind thought this format up? I is so disjointed, a multi limbed freak would make more sense. There are so many flaws in the system that the old BC2 server list could be said to of been faultless in comparison. Tick several boxes (with restricted values), see only 100 servers & join with no control over ping? I'm speechless (except for this rant).

Infraction 2 for DICE.

Now for the fun of ORIGIN, Why give use the ability to add friends and then when the game installs, all those friends in your ORIGINS list are not imported & you have to add them all over again? Brain wave from DICE, Who ever thought that one up should work for FACEBOOK & I'll be surprised if they last a day.

Infraction 3 (3 day Ban)

The joy of KEY BINDING, why is a simple function (four weeks from release) not fully tested & working? The first key bind and you loose the mouse pointer, all you have are the direction keys to navigate from then on, or press ESC & save, then come back for key bind 2. Why can't I key bind Melee to my mouse button?

Infraction 4.

When in game what master mind thought it be fun to lock the user in so they can not leave during the map swap, the end game screens or the waiting to deploy screen?. You can only leave when you have deployed? worth an infraction on it's own.

Infraction 5.

Squads? or the lack of, in a normal world, your team is made up of squads and all of your team can see all squads, in DICE world, your team is made up of squads but your only allowed to see your squad, you can't see which squad your friend is on & there is no way to join them in game (while your both in that server). Is this a bug or a feature, if it's a feature, then you get another infraction.

Infraction 6.

I love to say I've enjoyed the BETA so far, but I dread to think if there were no BETA what DICE would of released? To this end I come to, Hit detection, although this is a game, the bullets don't seem to represent anything close to reality, shooting an enemy with a AK seven times (having the hit confirmed by the onscreen symbol) and having them not go down it like going to the party, drinking several pints (alcoholic drinks) and not feeling the effects of the alcohol. Lag? maybe sometimes but when you can not select the sever for 'ping' (lag) then it's an issue.

Warning to DICE

Battlefield 3 beta v Battlefield 2 beta? Battlefield 2 beta gave you a real taste, tanks, jets, big big map, here in the successor we have the exact opposite, worth an infraction on this point alone.

Infraction 7 (10 day Ban)

T.B.C......

What I will say is the vaulting the animation is great....

Honestly, what else are you going to be playing? Battlefield 3 is the most fun I can have at the moment, at least until ArmA3 comes out.

But hey if Beta tarnished it so much for you, then I'm sure ya'll will find something better to play. Go try out COD5. Or is it 6? 7? I don't know, they're all the same.

A BETA: What's the point of a beta?

The single point of a beta, is to test & list all problems/ faults, it's not to sing the praises of the title/ item and mention all the good stuff, all the bits done to perfection, what would the point of that be, licking the developers feet.

So all the bad things have to be listed or the developer is not going to know what really sucks. Listing the good stuff is pointless, fortunately BF3 has good stuff and shit stuff, DICE address shit stuff then it's all good, if they don't then it sucks, it's fun what sucks.

But the majority of the negatives you've listed have more to do with menu options and the UI that weren't implemented into Beta for one reason or another, most of which will be in the final product. Not that they aren't important, but really? Is that what's going to make you hate a game, is it's menu system? Trust me, I've reported the actual gameplay-killing issues to them. Players sinking into the ground (fixed now), unfinished animations ("Jesus" pose, happening less often now), player parties not always working, SQUAD PICKING (huge bummer for me), screen flickers (more to do with Nvidia's beta drivers), sound glitches, magazine models floating in front of your weapon, shotgun's occasional "misfires", rubber-banding on Caspian Border, occasional mouse/input lag. The list goes on. The game isn't perfect, but the things people are complaining about the most are the things I find the least significant. They aren't game-killer issues. It almost sounds like people went into this ready to hate on it, ready to give any excuse to not like it. It sounds like a bunch of noobs trying to find an excuse as to why they're bad at an FPS.

I will say this though, because it's worth mentioning for those who haven't played it yet: It's not BF2. But, it's also not BC2. It's a bit of a hybrid, which is more or less what I was expecting. I played BF2 a lot back in the day, and recently played it again last month for a couple weeks. It was nostalgic, but I wouldn't trade BF3 for BF2. Ever. There were definitely some cool things about BF2, like 6 man squads, better minimaps, better squad control (forth-coming with a Commo-Rose in the PC version of BF3), Commanders (though, these abilities will be brought down to squad leaders now). But there are some real game-killers about BF2, shoddy graphics aside. Mainly being: the gunplay and the nade spam. As a shooter, BF2 is friggen awful. If you don't recall, it doesn't really matter if somebody is directly in your sights, since there's a random dispersion of bullets. Thus, tap-firing at a rate of about 1-2 rounds per second is the only way to effectively kill people no matter what weapon. Pretty boring if you ask me, and a pretty crucial part of an FPS. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of classes you had to switch between in order to do some pretty basic things.

BF3 feels like a natural progression. It takes all the good parts learned from the BC games (better accessibility, fast-paced, condensed classes, new gameplay, graphics, sound, gunplay) and makes them better, while improving upon old standbys of the series in general (big maps, big battles, epic feel, LOTS of vehicles and weapons, and fun teamplay). If you were expecting BF2 with better graphics... where have you been the last 6 months? Because that was not the expectation I had. I wanted a newer, fresh, better BF. And BF3 is looking to fulfill that expectation.

EDIT: One more thing I will say though: I don't expect wholly this game to be fully bug-free and "finished" on release day. But EA never delays a game, so it will be pushed out anyway. But I have confidence in DICE to fix the big issues in a timely matter, as they always have. They've always had really good post-launch support (though the server browser/friends system didn't work for a good 4-6 months of BC2's life, lol. At least Battlelog works great.) In due time folks, in due time.

Edited by Rooster90