Spartans Home

PC Gamer needs our help

Howdy folks,

I am simply going to copy & paste the contents of the e-mail message that Evan Lahti, PC Gamer Magazine Senior Editoe, sent to me:

"Hope all?s well! I?m writing because I?ve got an Arma video project I?d like to involve you and the LoS crew. Here?s the gist: for an upcoming secret project (to be revealed in the next month), I?m doing a video how-to titled ?How To Kill A Helicopter? in Arma. The focus is on educating players in a playful way on how they, as an infantryman in Arma, can take down a helicopter. What I?d want your help with is three-fold:

"* We?ll be capturing video from multiple perspectives. It?d be handy to have access to the spectating mod you?re using to film so that we can have multiple free cameras. Are you able to share what you use to capture? (We?ve got Xbox 360 controllers)

"* We?d need to choreograph some segments of short gameplay, and do a few takes of the footage we need to capture.

"* It?s possible that I?d need a little help with mission scripting to create specific effects/situations to capture the best footage possible. Sorry if this is hyper-general at this point, but I?d really love to utilize what you guys do best and have your help creating some awesome video content. Let me know what you think! Evan Lahti, Senior Editor, PC Gamer Magazine"

I am pressing Evan for more details as you read this, but one of the things we may need to pull this off is more than one cameraman. If such is the case, this is an open invitation to Dai-San, Rooster, and Hajimoto, all of whom I know have captured high-quality footage from Arma2 before. Anyone else that thinks they can record good footage is welcome to apply as well, but keep in mind that we'll also need "feet on the ground" to accomplish everything. I will continue to update this thread as I get more info from Evan.

Please respond if you are interested in participating. As with Zeno's Air Assault Project?, we will probably do most of the filming (and possible practice sessions) on the weekends. Please also feel free to submit your ideas for actions sequences that are in the vein of what Evan is asking for. For example, I'm picturing a scene where a soldier launched from a rooftop on an ATV at high-speed, crashing into a passing helicopter. The crazier, the better. If you can script some of the events that you had in mind, that would be awesomenicity.

I'll keep everyone posted.

I'm down for filming and/or participating. What would you recommend I use for video editing/conversion? I'm assuming you will be doing the majority of the editing, so how do you plan on sharing our captured video files with you? YouSendIt (or something similar)?

I am in. Question is are they wanting to bring down an attack helo shooting you or a transport helo dropping off troops? Will it be with any weapon or only M16? I can take a helo out with stuff from an AT4 to an M16 you just need to state what they are looking for. I could also toss together something real quick for the video unless someone else is wanting to.

The other night we took down a chopper with small arms fire.

Also Bigworm and I take down choppers with the Apache and Cobra gunships.

I have been known to play Wack a Chopper (played similar to wack a kitten except that I use a d30)

Smaws can be effective against choppers too.

I bet that Big Worm and I could take an enemy chopper down with a Chinook.

Edited by Steel~Sparta~

a Chopper doing a roof top insertion.....Pilot gets taken out b4 he can set down on the roof and the troops are left to jump out or die with the chopper. no rockets no stingers no AT it would be done with a sniper shot No not the 50. cal. :) but a single shot m4a1.

Id like to participate.

I am TOTALLY in for this :)

I also feel like:

I'm smelling something fishy here or maybe FOWL, as in exploding chickens!?!?

but I wanna trust you once again :)

I had successful dogfights using the LittleBird with MG and Rockets vs Mi8s and Huyes. Would not engage an Mi24 with that tho :)

Like most of us, I shot down choppers with several dumb rocket launchers and with the Metis.

I also used special weaponry called "Fucking Poles" to destroy choppers, but that is another story...

I am ready to support on the ground for whatever duty !!

Sounds good.

"Squad advances to zone only to be held back by multiple chopper attacks, Squad leader instructs troops before advancing to take out stinger munition and drop on

ground so one rear Air guard can cover troops. (This is one way that happens alot)"

Thanks for everyone's support. To address a few of your questions and concerns:

@Rooster: After rereading Evan's request, it sounds like he and/or his staff/friends/minions may be the ones doing the video capture. You'll notice that he says, "We?ll be capturing video from multiple perspectives. It?d be handy to have access to the spectating mod you?re using to film so that we can have multiple free cameras. Are you able to share what you use to capture? (We?ve got Xbox 360 controllers)." Sounds to me like this has already been taken care of. If we need to do some of our own recording, we'll have to figure out some way to share the video files.

@Hajimoto: No poultry will be harmed during the making of this video. If this is a prank, I'm not the one behind it. I'm wondering if this video will have any relation to the upcoming title from Bohemia, Take On Helicopters. Just a theory.

@Gunthar: It sounds as if Evan is asking us to find creative, humorous methods for infantry to take down helicopters. The crazier, the better. I think we'll have creative license to use methods that aren't strictly ground-based, so long as they are entertaining.

@Zeno: I can't believe I didn't think of using the Battlebus.

@Everyone else: there are other great ideas here--RPGs, manning weapons on a vehicle being airlifted, etc. One thing that I haven't heard back from Evan about--but that I am going to assume--is that everything we do will have to be done with an unmodified version of the game: no ACE, no custom maps, etc. We want to be certain that everything we want to pull off can be accomplished with nothing more than custom scripting included in a mission .pbo file.

As soon as I get more specific info from Evan, I'll post it here. In the meantime, keep coming up with ideas.

Thanks,

F_P

Thanks for everyone's support. To address a few of your questions and concerns:

@Rooster: After rereading Evan's request, it sounds like he and/or his staff/friends/minions may be the ones doing the video capture. You'll notice that he says, "We?ll be capturing video from multiple perspectives. It?d be handy to have access to the spectating mod you?re using to film so that we can have multiple free cameras. Are you able to share what you use to capture? (We?ve got Xbox 360 controllers)." Sounds to me like this has already been taken care of. If we need to do some of our own recording, we'll have to figure out some way to share the video files.

@Hajimoto: No poultry will be harmed during the making of this video. If this is a prank, I'm not the one behind it. I'm wondering if this video will have any relation to the upcoming title from Bohemia, Take On Helicopters. Just a theory.

@Gunthar: It sounds as if Evan is asking us to find creative, humorous methods for infantry to take down helicopters. The crazier, the better. I think we'll have creative license to use methods that aren't strictly ground-based, so long as they are entertaining.

@Zeno: I can't believe I didn't think of using the Battlebus.

@Everyone else: there are other great ideas here--RPGs, manning weapons on a vehicle being airlifted, etc. One thing that I haven't heard back from Evan about--but that I am going to assume--is that everything we do will have to be done with an unmodified version of the game: no ACE, no custom maps, etc. We want to be certain that everything we want to pull off can be accomplished with nothing more than custom scripting included in a mission .pbo file.

As soon as I get more specific info from Evan, I'll post it here. In the meantime, keep coming up with ideas.

Thanks,

F_P

How about ramping a HUMVEE off a cliff into the hovering helo as its shooting at a town?

Or parking below one with an ATV full of explosives.

Or blowing up a gas station with one hovering over it all action hero style.

OH laser guided bomb onto the helo.

Could do a grenade take down.

arty strike on the helo.