Spartans Home

My car

Zeno~SPARTA~

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep it in an air tight clean room with the air pumped out...

Makes driving it a little difficult but....

lol

nice motor mate

How to keep a black car clean. I would say the most important part of this is buying and USING a very good wax. Using a good wax will protect the paint and make it easier to wash. Also keep it under cover and stay off of dirt/gravel roads.

Sweet ride!

I had a black 72 chevy 1/2 ton short bed pick up with towing package front , rear anti sway bars and costom interror with 350 / 350 small block. With alumnuim intake, Rv cam and headers with 3" duel pipes, turbo 400 tranny 308 positrack 12 bolt diff and I used to kill datsun 260Zs and 280Zs with it, She wouldent come out of 2nd gear untill 85mph. had her up to 145 mph I just had to wash it all the time and towel it off and wax it. But what a truck! It was FAST ! I called it the Z car killer. But to much work keeping it clean.

Keep her in the garage!

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

DO not wax the car for several months as the paint is still in a drying mode and silicone can damage it although you will not notice. It will last much longer (Shine) if you use only mild car detergent and h2o if they wanted it waxed they would have done this at the factory. (of course after many months no prob)

It's sweet.

I will not be polishing it soon, but I want to keep it clean without getting the swirl marks.

American muscle cars are great for the traffic light Grand Prix, but very scary on bendy European tracks. Lately though they have been tuning the chassis of their cars. The Cadillac STR and the Corvette Z06 both handle very well on tracks (not ovals). The STR was setup on the Nurburgring.

The Audis 4 cylinder engine is very powerful when the Turbo kicks in, but economical when off boost , frankly with fuel prices at these levels that duality is attractive.

A cool car you got there.

Ya, can't blame you on the fuel thing. The paint on it, depends on what they put on it, is useally a Acyrlic enamal base coat clear coat, probley 2 mills thick each for a total of 4 mills if your lucky, I havent heard of any regular car mfger useing urthane yet. The worst thing you can do is buff it with a power buffer, that would put swearl marks in the clear coat. Most paint is fully cured after 90 days. You can get a car cover to keep her clean wile at work. But if it ever gets dull or bleached out from the sun, It can be recleared again or compound polished. Clear coat is the regular paint with no tints added in it so its clear. On the bumper area, they mix in a flex agent in the paint to make it flexible so the paint won't crack if you get a little bump. Urthane base paints are better. But they are very dangerious isocyonate like super glue. They use a actvatior and once mixed it will harden regaurdless if its sprayed or not and withstand the sun better and won't fade as bad as enamal or lacquer base automotive paints. Its so good they use it on jet fighters, it won't peel off up to 800mph.

Very Nice Zeno,

Black is a pain-in-the-ass to keep clean without swirl marks. There are some new car cleaning products that claim

they will clean without leaving drip marks as long as you use their multi step products. this eliminates the need for any type of cloth. I have not used them.

I have some understanding of car paint as I had a team in our paint department monitoring our paint & finish lines at the Subaru manufacturing plant. We also monitored paint repairs.

I have owned 3 black cars over the past 20 years.

For Black Paint: I had the best luck with these "3m" products for my car washing/waxing:

http://www.3m.com/product/information/Car-Care-Products.html

I used good quality shammy cloths after washing with no pressure (drag it accross the area your drying). It helps eliminate the drip marks. However, they also can produce those annoying swirl marks (and drag marks) eventually over time.

I used the "3m Imperial hand glaze" as my final step whenever I began to detect swirl marks in bright sunlight.

I know this product was used by people who prepare cars for the big car shows in the late 90's and early 2000's years.

**Important note, it's usage also required a very careful application for good results. If my memory is correct,

it also warned that excessive usage can shorten the life of the clear coat. Never use it before the recommended wax waiting period specified by your dealer/manufacturer. In addition, Audi might specify the products they prefer you to use on their clear-coat.

In any case, great looking car, hope this helps a bit.

Can you get one of your friends over there to follow you and film the deployment of that rear wing? I am sure it is cool. :MSNWINK:

well i got a nice idea its a lil out there but itll protect ur car paint

cover the car in cling film and when the cling film gets dirty pull it off and bug on some new ones

hmmmm i may have to do that with my car seems easyer than washing it. hmmmmmmmmmm. to tescos lol (large chain of super markets in the UK for our cross-contenital friends)

When you wash it make sure everything you use is clean No sand or dirt in the bucket. and wrince the sponge often if you use one. And do the tires last with a different sponge. it can scrach the crap out of it if theres any dirt in the bucket or sponge.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~