Spartans Home

London 2012

Really surprised we haven't had a topic posted up yet. So how's it going over in London?!

I'm a bigger fan of the Winter Olympics, but I still love the Olympics either way, and I plan on enjoying the next two weeks if greedy US broadcasters let me. Right now, I'm looking forward most to:

1. Archery. Love it. Watched the team events today and it was really exciting. I haven't seen the final round, though, so don't spoil it! (dissapointed that the country who perfected the Bow and Arrow didn't do so well) :)

2. BMX. Latvia won it in Beijing and we're still rooting for Maris Strombergs this year, although he's going to have some pretty stiff competition.

3. Women's Beach Volleyball. Do I need to explain?

london-2012-olympic-games.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really surprised we haven't had a topic posted up yet. So how's it going over in London?!

I'm a bigger fan of the Winter Olympics, but I still love the Olympics either way, and I plan on enjoying the next two weeks if greedy US broadcasters let me. Right now, I'm looking forward most to:

1. Archery. Love it. Watched the team events today and it was really exciting. I haven't seen the final round, though, so don't spoil it! (dissapointed that the country who perfected the Bow and Arrow didn't do so well) :)

2. BMX. Latvia won it in Beijing and we're still rooting for Maris Strombergs this year, although he's going to have some pretty stiff competition.

3. Women's Beach Volleyball. Do I need to explain?

london-2012-olympic-games.jpg

The 23-old Yi Silin

on saturday won the first medal for belgium in shooting (10m)

I was reading an article the other day about all the insane security measures they've taken to protect and prepare the city for the games. Some of the stuff the article was claiming seemed a bit over the top (ie: emplacing ground-to-air missiles on top of apartment buildings).

I took a quick look through my history to find the article again, but didn't see it. If anyone is interested, I can try and dig it back up again.

Any of our friends over in the UK seen anything interesting like that?

- JHunter

The view from the equestrian venue is amazing!

I just switched to all kinds of events,it all looks sweeet! near perfect locations,sailing has cliffs on the backdrop,equestrian has the skyline of London on the background.....im loving it..if the weather stays clear its gonna be an awesome olympic games!

Edited by EL_n00biachi

Confused

"The 23 year-old world No 1 beat Poland?s Sylwia Bogacka by 0.7 points in a nerve-racking Olympic Final at the Royal Artillery Barracks in Greenwich, London. She has had gold in her crosshairs for years and admitted to feeling the pressure to put China on the medal table less than 11 hours after Sir Paul McCartney closed the Opening Ceremony. Fellow Chinese shooter Yu Dan took the bronze medal.

Yi said: ?I am very grateful to China and to my mother and father who I love very much. I am pleased, not nervous like I was in the competition. There was a lot of pressure on me.?

Did she shoot for China or Belgium, sorry if this is obvious.

No cable just air TV all I seen was Bicycles and some swimming

I want to watch Judo and local streaming is not working reckon there is always Youtube post game.

Yeah NBC has really clamped down this year on online streaming. I can't seem to find an overseas feed that isn't blocked. For those who do have cable, though, the full events are live and recorded online here. You might want to try it out and see if they will pick up your provider. I'm watching individual archery right now without all the commentary and it's glorious.

I was reading an article the other day about all the insane security measures they've taken to protect and prepare the city for the games. Some of the stuff the article was claiming seemed a bit over the top (ie: emplacing ground-to-air missiles on top of apartment buildings).

I took a quick look through my history to find the article again, but didn't see it. If anyone is interested, I can try and dig it back up again.

Any of our friends over in the UK seen anything interesting like that?

- JHunter

i know that they have parked an aircraft carrier in london as a center of operations for the royal marines. they will eat sleep and watch over the olympics from this location.

england is no stranger to terrorism and they wont take any chances with terrorists trying to create a publicity stunt and embarassing the UK on the world stage. plus it gives the public a chance to view the uk's military might.

United States' Missy Franklin, United States' Dana Vollmer, United States' Shannon Vreeland and United States' Allison Schmitt pose with their gold medals for the women's 4x200-meter freestyle relay swimming final at the Aquatics Centre in the Olympic Park during the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, Wednesday, Aug. 1, 2012. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

276965498ae10d15170f6a70670050cc.jpg

United States' Michael Phelps, United States' Conor Dwyer, United States' Ricky Berens and United States' Ryan Lochte pose with their gold medals for the men's 4x200-meter freestyle relay swimming final at the Aquatics Centre in the Olympic Park during the 2012 Summer Olympics in London

37233327714df515160f6a7067003813.jpg

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

We got 4 tickets, 3 at £20 & 1 at £15, for my youngest who's 15. So £75 all together.

Those were the cheapest, they had £30 & £50 also, so we won't have the best seats but I'm a frequent visitor to OT and the view is great from anywhere.

From what I can see the prices increase as you move through the heats into knockout stages and medal events, which I personally think is out of order.

Interesting. The prices aren't as bad as I thought they would be, but that's the individual events, not something huge like the opening/closing ceremony and stuff. I'm really surprised how, from what it looks like to me, close to the center of town everything is.

I got to see some short snippets of the biking events and thought it was really cool to see the transition from the city to the countryside of Britian.