Spartans Home

VIDEO - Fallujah Air Assault

Fatal_Papercut~SPARTA~

Howdy folks,

After all of those hours that so many of you put into Zeno's Air Assault training, we now have a video to document our efforts. For those of you that participated in practice sessions but could not be present for the final recording sessions, you're efforts are equally appreciated.

Random editing fact: the video is 10 seconds longer than it needs to be, solely because I wanted to capture a laugh that Zeno made at the end. It just sounds funny to me, so I wanted to include it.

As usual, watch the video on YouTube. I will begin uploading a hi-def version to my DropBox account for those that wish to download copy that is better than YouTube compressed video (it is 579MB). I will edit this post with the link as soon as it is available.

*** EDIT *** Here is the download link.

Edited by Fatal_Papercut~SPARTA~

You made us look too good Fatal good job mate.

You should make people aware that we do this on a regular basis now on the ACE server. For all the AO's last time I played we did hot LZ helo inserts for every one. Just so people know they can do this on regular nights not just special ones.

Are there any plans to do more Spartan practice nights for different assault techniques etc? Although I couldn't make it for the last couple of sessions, the ones I did attend were really quite fun and i'd happily do them again.

P.s the video was excellent Fatal :allgood:

Are there any plans to do more Spartan practice nights for different assault techniques etc? Although I couldn't make it for the last couple of sessions, the ones I did attend were really quite fun and i'd happily do them again.

P.s the video was excellent Fatal :allgood:

The intention is to do Air Assault every Saturday. However, I'm sure if someone drafts up another solid assault technique, we can get some people to try it out.

- JHunter

The intention is to do Air Assault every Saturday. However, I'm sure if someone drafts up another solid assault technique, we can get some people to try it out.

- JHunter

How about a VIP extraction,everyone as PMC rush in with SUV's with the miniguns,get the VIP who's being held up in a compound ...defended ofcourse...etc...not as easy as it sounds......too bad Lightspeeds never on anymore cause i suck dick at scripting\trigger placing ...well basically...overall mission making.

How about a VIP extraction,everyone as PMC rush in with SUV's with the miniguns,get the VIP who's being held up in a compound ...defended ofcourse...etc...not as easy as it sounds......too bad Lightspeeds never on anymore cause i suck dick at scripting\trigger placing ...well basically...overall mission making.

"Howdy folks, Fatal_Papercut here,..." :thumbsup_anim:

I like the idea and have done some real world training in a personal protection detail/class I went to. I'd be willing to give it a go. I really didn't pay too much attention to the Air Assault thing, and I really wish I had. It seemed like a bad ass time and I am glad everyone enjoyed playing together. That's the part of ArmA that I like the most.

You would have loved it Medic mate.

I've done plenty of CP (Close Protection) and PSD (Personal Security Detail) training courses too and I'm pretty sure I could knock something up if there was the interest.

Great Vid as always Fatal, your post production is great and you manage (with clever editing) to almost make us look like we know what we're doing :thumbsup_anim:

Wow that was awesome. Was this mission recorded and then you worked in the fancy camera angles later, or did you have to do it on the fly while the game was running?

Maybe Sparta can do different types of missions in the future like:

1. Air Assault (already done)

2. VIP Detail

3. Airborne Assault (looks awesome if done well)

4. Beach head Assault

That would show off all the potential coolness of Arma and maybe catch the eye of BI at some point who would give us all free copies of Arma3 and have us do cinematics for ads haha. (ok it's a dream lol)

I have a Zargabad mission that can be quickly modified for an airborne assault if need be just let me know if you want the mission file so you can use it and just change what you don't need.

Great Vid as always Fatal, your post production is great and you manage (with clever editing) to almost make us look like we know what we're doing :thumbsup_anim:

Wow that was awesome. Was this mission recorded and then you worked in the fancy camera angles later, or did you have to do it on the fly while the game was running?

Thanks to Dai and everyone for your kind words regarding the production.

@Durka: All of the footage was recorded on-the-fly as the game was being played. To my knowledge, there is no way to record the game's "telemetry" data (for lack of a better word) so that I can replay the mission events at a later time to get optimal camera angles and the like.

Along that line of thought: one of the projects that I had in mind was doing a scripted mission/video. Most of the video footage--at least 50%--would simply be done by recording AI-scripted action. This would provide me with optimal framerates and it would also eliminate rubber-banding. However, there would be certain shots that would require human participants. The entire video would be story-boarded first. Filming the clips that require human players could probably be done in a total of four hours or less, and that could be broken down into two or more recording sessions (consecutive weekends, for example). Regardless of whether a clip requires human players or is completely AI-driven, I would have the luxury of doing multiple takes for each scene until I feel that everything looks just right.

There would probably be a great amount of time spent creating a scenario to film and doing all of the story-boarding before any mission scripting and recording even began. I think coming up with good ideas is going to be the toughest part; once that part is done, the rest is all just technicalities. :)

It will probably be some time before I'm ready to start shooting this; I'm guessing August at the moment. Until then, any suggestions for the story are welcome.

Excellent presentation of the "Dip Drop, Body Mop" of an AO. I can't wait until you do a full length feature presentation so I slouch with a bucket of buttered popcorn and enjoy for hours!

Yeah.. I am up for an Air Assault too :)

Yesterday i had a friend here home, he is a gamer too.. and I had a chance to explain Arma2.. and then.. I said.. why too many words?? watch this mission we filmed the other day and tell me what do you think...

We watched the video together, the great part was for me looking at his face, while slowly his jaw was dropping open while the action progressed :)

So, now, we know also what s the effect on viewers! Such a great job Fatal, because now I can guarrantee you, the way you storytell the action and edit these shorts, are capturing audience! Really great job :)

@ Rizzla

hey man, do something for those caps, you might get a fine for "keyboard under the influence" !

Edited by Batwing~SPARTA~

• 4 weeks later...