Zeno~SPARTA~

If we have enough people this is what we will do

1 Choose an intersection.

2. knock down lamp posts

3 board choppers

4 deploy

5 call choppers back in order

6 board choppers and start over.

I am not convinced we will have sufficient to practice but we shall see.

Z

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For training we will knock them down with a land vehicle, so the choppers have less collisions with these objects.

If this moves forward to actual missions a 2 man recon team is envisaged carrying explosives and SD weapons. They will recon and find a suitable LZ, if there are none and the only possible LZs have lamp posts (which proved troublesome in training), they will be tasked to destroy them moments prior to the first choppers arrival.

So for rehearsals we will practice without recon just to get the deployment down pat.

Then make a film

Then if people like we will try to implement this procedure in AOs and missions built around this approach.

Just a random thought process here.

Could we not use the WIT defense mission for this and have a couple of undercover SF soldiers dressed as Taki's move in clear the LZ and setup the markers for the incoming helo's to land at.

This will allow the practice of this style mission on an existing mission before perfecting a mission built just for it. It can also be used on missions requiring a hot LZ drop during say an attack mission.

Durka we tried some night training but the way the city lights work is that they are triggered when you approach, because the chopper is fast it trigger very close to you and with nvg you are blinded, we will try to find a night with more natural illumination to see if the pilots can fly without NVG.

Reminder Air Assault training is on today 9pm UK time (10pm Euro time, 4pm EST)

Here is the graphic for tonights rehearsal

Alpha Squad

Prone

insert1.jpg

Bravo Squad

Prone

brawoe.jpg

Charlie Squad

On a Knee

insert1.jpg

Delta Squad

On a Knee

brawoe.jpg

As we found out last night you can get 4 people off the chopper pretty quick, the only danger is landing on top of the person who jumped before you.

Also Zeno/Dai, as we're only deploying 4 people from each L/B can a non playable AI be put in the front passenger seat so that all four Crash Test Dummies infantry are on the benches at the side?

I'm going to try and make this one tonight hopefully!

The way I remember the diagram is to memorize the positions of the troops in the Alpha and Charlie squads by noting that the numbers increase in a clockwise direction starting from the top left hand corner. If you're in Bravo or Delta you just shift yourself one position again in a clockwise direction.

Once you've got the positions sorted then you've got to figure out which direction to face at your corner. For alpha and charlie you position yourself optimally with regards to your shooting hand in game so that if there was cover at each corner then most of your body will be behind that. If you're in Bravo or Delta then the reverse is true and you don't optimise your direction with regards to your shooting hand. Obviously you make best use of what cover there is regardless but this technique just helps you remember your assigned direction.

That means if you're Alpha no.3 then you position yourself at the SE facing south as this direction affords you the most cover (if there is any). If you're Delta no. 2 then you position yourself at the SE corner again but face East as this direction provides you with the least cover.

Remembering if you go prone or crouch should be easy enough.

Having said all this I'm going to print off the diagram anyway just in case I completely mess things up tonight!

Edited by Rolf

Sorry guys, I know I've been itching to do this but minor family issue means I have to head back south & unlikely to get back here tonight. Have fun & if by some miracle I get home in time I'll jump into te server.

Thankyou for your patience everyone. The training/rehearsal went really well with 3 choppers full at one point. All the pilots did well and the infantry acted very professionally (if I can use that word in the context of a game) with excellent comms discipline.

Worked well, the transition from the runway to the actual streets was seemless.

Although this "wish" to be coming in under fire still bemuses me :wtf: :help:

I'd have thought the whole point was to get on the ground before people started shooting at you. I don't fancy the chances of survival much hanging off a sheet of plywood glued to the side of a helicopter made of reasonably thin aluminium.

Good work all the same.