Spartans Home

Air Assault - Papercut production version

Zeno~SPARTA~

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats not best way for practice landing in urban environment. At some point chopper either will not loose enough speed to land and you overshoot or stall dropping some alt. If you are unlucky stall will be deadly.

I think with little bird slowing down is not a issue, you just have to remember its not UFO and will not freeze in a second

Im sure we all saw starwars and death star attack. This should be same kind of flying otherwise we are too exposed for enemy fire. Even that not give you guarantee you will survive

Which is why I said....

Only problem is that you can't really do it in a straight street, unless you are flying just above the rooftops.

I'd rather look at the positive side and think of ways this can be accomplished, and think Zeno's first desert practice is the best, or even doing it on an air strip, then moving to the field, then to the streets. Individuals can practice in the editor easy enough, but we can't practice together, unless you mean just loading the island up, placing a few helos, then putting it on the server. That's just as easy.

...the infantry can focus on their task with worrying about the pilot embedding them in a tree. ...

Why did I immediately think of Luggage :hysterical:

No offence mate :thumbsup:

True, but I have been told that the flight characteristics on server are slightly different so in the end there has to be a training mission.

Oh i agree though,i was just stating the obvious :) .......just as an idea if you make a training mission try to put in some opfor AI but without AA infantry...so you can actually train and see\feel what will happen....it doesn't matter if you die when you have landed or how often....but it gives you more immersion and a better feel of what might happen.

Even without AA lilbirds are pretty soft when engaged by small arms,i think the best training will be done with some minimum small arms opposition.....just an idea.

Thats not best way for practice landing in urban environment. At some point chopper either will not loose enough speed to land and you overshoot or stall dropping some alt. If you are unlucky stall will be deadly.

I think with little bird slowing down is not a issue, you just have to remember its not UFO and will not freeze in a second

Im sure we all saw starwars and death star attack. This should be same kind of flying otherwise we are too exposed for enemy fire. Even that not give you guarantee you will survive

I am with Peter here.

From my flying experience i can say, especially now the LB is way faster, it is a pro and cons at the same time.

In a urban flight if you wanna be almost at road level you will have steep 90 degrees curves. High speed is absolutely not suggested. 80 Km/h should be a sort of limit to curve in safe.

If you fly just above the roofs then faster is better offering less target profile, however the AI will have no problems to shoot us dow in a snap.

LB are very light and too much manouverable, meaning their lateral shifting at slow speed is very sensitive. Approaching at very high speed and suddenly slow down in a safely manner is a really tough action to achieve with the limited flight model sim. here to slow down you have either pull up or on right / left (not like a normal flight sim).

This means 2 things:

1 - you cannot pull up exposing yourself on altitude and being 100% shot down

2 - you cannot pull right or left at high speed in between buildings and also if you could, as soon as the LB get close to stalling speed it will badly derive left or right possibly crashing by the side into a building.

As result, as opposit to think, it would be better using the standard (non ACE) LB version which is slower and can be better controlled during such G-limit manouvers.

Edited by Batwing~SPARTA~

i'm handy to fly. probably should spend some time landing LB's now.

if better pilots are found, i'll snatch my 240L and hang around on a bench till i get told to die suicidally getting off the bird!

btw, the ACE LB's should do ok. they really don't climb that much before they slow down.

Jeff

ACE and Fallujah will be fine for now, we can use the desert part to practice and the city for more advanced practice. We practiced in the city yesterday under fire from both the side mission and the main AO. The only damage was from hard landings and from a collision. We did have a blackhawk drawing fire (little birds dont have flares).

Durka, the guys pointed out a weakness of arma to me, people only leave the vehicles one at a time (which you can hear as a car door sound). The more people you have the greater the time taken to disembark.

Durka is right we dont need to worry about the impossibilities, we will strive for the impossible and with luck we will achieve the improbable.

Durka, the guys pointed out a weakness of arma to me, people only leave the vehicles one at a time (which you can hear as a car door sound). The more people you have the greater the time taken to disembark.

Is that a strictly ACE feature, or something inherent in Arma? In a littlebird, with 5 aboard, it shouldn't take too long to get out. It's just getting the timing right and hoping the pilot doesn't take off before the last man has to jump from 50ft :thumbsup_anim:

If your looking at doing a true air assault landing into a hot LZ there should be no helo touching the ground. All you have to do is have the helo get within a foot of the ground and either hover or slow to a crawl while everyone bails out then full power and he is gone. Should be able to unload a full troop load in about 2 sec and if your not out your going back to base. I have found that if your not comfortable in pulling that type of manuver just slow down hit the auto hover when your close to the ground and turn it off once you have stopped by that time everyone should be out and gone then your off to get an AA round in the butt.