Spartans Home

Air Assault - Papercut production version

Zeno~SPARTA~

We had an impromptu training today, it was just going to be a couple of us, but it filled out so we could practice with 4 choppers and two full squads, we practiced on a runway and it worked really well(surprisingly). We will practice again but with a custom training map.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notes from this practice

Pilots need there own ts channel cos they need constant coms to get job done quick as poss.

As pilot I need speed of chopper I am following, direction and height updated every second.

I found infantry dispertion that was practised too complicated, IMO you get out of chopper you make a perimeter prescribed positions aren't needed. This may be cos I have listened to being shouted at lol.

Need landing marshal/coordinator or LZ sorted by pilots.

This is training, so for now we are all in one channel. Comms were tight yesterday I didnt here a peep out of the ground guys, we had a ground coordinator and an air coordinator. We will set up comms later

In a couple of stages we will have an infiltration team and they will be ground coordination. The marks were good for the first attempts to get things clear in our head, obviously we will not be doing this in future, we will use cardinal points or some thing equally simple. The key (if I followed the logic properly) is to get an MG and AT into position covering each road at the intersection.

When you fly fast through the trees you will not be calling out height and speed, thats why we are training. Training will be runway based initially for warm up (Dai can we have a bunch of hescow barriers to simulate an intersection), then it will move to the streets of Fallujah.

We will keep practicing the manouevre until its second nature. For the pilots there will probably be as many as ten, 8 MH6 pilots and 2 Blackhawk (running interference) pilots. There will be Euro time pilots and US time pilots but at first we will all train together, there is no deadline so it can take as long as it takes. I need a list of people who want to try out for the pilot roles. Unusually for Sparta I will be the sole judge of who gets to fly, if you are not chosen please dont be upset.

Durka made a great suggestion, in training the choppers will return to the start point and upon being called will fly back to the LZ this time landing together in sequence, we could even try picking up the teams the same way we dropped them as well.

We will practice for this and if it turns out we can do it then we will use it in game and maybe someone will build a specific mission for it.

Everyone is welcome to try out for the pilots and everyone is welcome to be part of the ground assault team.

At the end of the day this is about the ground guys and their training will take on more importance as we progress. The biggest mistake made on the ground is abandoning your arc because the shooting is behind you. Unless an arc loses its cover NOONE is to abandon their arc, the ground coordinator may reassign you but it will be his call.

We will not be writing books about how to get it done here, we will figure it out on the fly (excuse the pun) during practice. Remember this is about getting a meaningful force on the ground to own an intersection quickly.

Just notes from Pilots POV Z

On exiting LZ should choppers all go in same direction (unless targeted)to head back to start point?

Should all chopper pilots be engineers or should they have an engineer passenger (first onboard then all four infrantry are on outside)?

I hear you Cus, but on the day we will have squad comms like we have in tac, so it will be ok. Training will probably split between pilots and ground with the ground guys simulating choppers using fast suvs, so again comms will be a non issue.

I am confident pilots will not be calling out speed and height.

The problem is lack of infantry there are always plenty of pilots.

For runway training the pilots should fly a loop, well agree the direction on the day.

When Pilots do seperate training they may as well be engineers.

Guys, Am I missing something here?

I would love to be part of this, either as pilot or prferebly as ground troops (specialized Metis).

I do not see any training schedule, you are talking about past training, but where is a calendar to know when and who is training?

You are more than welcome, but there is no schedule for now. I just wanted to check out a couple pilots yesterday and a lot joined in. We are waiting on a training mission that Dai san is working on , then I will post a training schedule.

Z

went well today

one or two hiccups but ok

any chance of reducing the impact damage from trees as one touch seems fatal .

other than that a good all round session.

went well today

one or two hiccups but ok

any chance of reducing the impact damage from trees as one touch seems fatal .

other than that a good all round session.

If you think trees are fatal, wait till you clip a building ;)

Ill go ahead and predict that if Bohemia in 10 years is still making these sims,APC's and ATV's are still bouncing up 50ft in the air!

Seriously though,if you look at the progress when it comes to visual realism over the last decade its very disappointing,i dont see a Chernarus with trees that sway with the wind and leafs blowing off etc.

I am up for practicing this every day.

I will work with pilots to rate them and will be a groundpounder myself.

I would like to see more ground practice, which we will do without choppers.

I will do a session for the ground guys at 20:30 UK time and try to do another one in US hours, if you guys can agree on a reasonable time. Otherwise we will practice on the weekends.

If you think trees are fatal, wait till you clip a building ;)

to be fair id expect a bad reasult from hitting a building or lamp post but trees do tend to bend a litle bit. or atleast they should lol.

Yea, true. Although Durka makes a good point. I remember playing GR when it first came out and stood looking at the trees because they were swaying (virtually) as if effected by wind.

I practiced more last night using the training mission. I assumed this is what dai san created for us. I practiced top speeds into the city to gauge how far pilots can push it. Using a flare at the last 400-500 meters I was averaging a speed of 200 m/s at a height of 15m maximum. I would say the most important aspect of all this is selecting a good landing spot. If there are trees all over the landing zone it can prove quite difficult to land and take off quickly and efficiently. I should be around tonight after 20:00 to do some more flying runs. I am more than willing to give other pilots tips.

I am up for practicing this every day.

I will work with pilots to rate them and will be a groundpounder myself.

I would like to see more ground practice, which we will do without choppers.

I will do a session for the ground guys at 20:30 UK time and try to do another one in US hours, if you guys can agree on a reasonable time. Otherwise we will practice on the weekends.

Weekdays I can be available for training around 7 pm EST. I think the only option is to connect and see if there is anyone "Training".

Can you at least be all together on a specific TS channel (maybe named Training) so that a new joiner knows what s going on ?

Thank you :)

Weekdays I can be available for training around 7 pm EST. I think the only option is to connect and see if there is anyone "Training".

Can you at least be all together on a specific TS channel (maybe named Training) so that a new joiner knows what s going on ?

Thank you :)

There is an air assault TS channel under the TAC channels. I am always in there if I am flying.

What mods would I need to make up the numbers for the ground assault. Not saying I can, but if I've got the mods ready then at least I can draw some fire :dog:

What mods would I need to make up the numbers for the ground assault. Not saying I can, but if I've got the mods ready then at least I can draw some fire :dog:

ACE2 1.10 required.

http://www.legionofsparta.net/downloads/Games/ArmA%202/Operation%20Arrowhead/mods/@SPARTAACEv1.10.rar

Fallujah1_1 required.

http://www.legionofsparta.net/downloads/Games/ArmA%202/Operation%20Arrowhead/mods/Islands/@fallujah1_1.rar

Digital compass and sthud would help :thumbsup_anim: