Spartans Home

Zath's new ride.

Zathrus~SPARTA~

Looking good Zath...nice ride!

I didn't realize they had discontinued the venerable 258 I-6 until you filled me in and glad you could find one in such grand condition.

Now go that thing dirty.. :)

• 7 months later...

Wacth the track bar bushings, on ours it has worn out twice so far. I got a energy suspension replacement bushing for it and put it in, but still getting sloppy feel to the steering. I checked the control arm bushings and they are showing some disstress as well so going to replace all the bushings in the front end with urathane bushings. They are a real soft rubber and with age they get softer. Its a 4.0 232ci.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Zath just got rid of his new ride... 12 to 15 mpg was killing me. I am driving alot more so I have purchased a vehicle that gets 32 mpg

Quick question, out of professional curiousity but what do you guys in the US see as being good MPG performance?

Zath's comment about getting a new ride that gets 32mpg, tallys with most of the reports I see in auto news releases, when they are referring to new cars being released Stateside. Most of these newer models are versions of what you would see as Euro cars.

My interest is that for these same vehicle platforms we would be looking at 40 even 50 plus mpg. I'm guessing that the difference is fuel choice, as to make better efficiencies most UK, if not European drivers are choosing to go with diesel.

So does that mean you are still biased toward petrolin the US?

Quick question, out of professional curiousity but what do you guys in the US see as being good MPG performance?

Anything above 30 mpg is typically considered "good". Getting above 35 isn't really heard of too often. At least for me, personally, but I am by no means a big car person.

So does that mean you are still biased toward petrolin the US?

That is correct. Many gas stations don't even offer Diesel. They offer 3 different "grades" of gasoline, however. The majority of our diesel consumption comes from larger "work" trucks, but predominantly from our semi-truck drivers.

- JHunter

SUV driver can range in the 10-20 MPG range and be happy about it.

Lighter SUV driver and general auto driver can be in the 20 mpg range and not to bad.

Small car driver can go into the 30s

Fanatical small car driver can go into the 40s.

Hippy college professor types driving deathtrap autos can get into the 50s.

Diesel is meant for Mercedes, huge SUVs, and occasional VW, and commercial vehicles. Not available everywhere, but fairly common.

Harder to find fuels: Pure ethanol. natural gas.

Not to many electric vehicles on the road anymore.

30 miles per US gallon is 36 miles per imperial gallon.

Diesel used by cars in europe is a more heavily refined product than available in the US. The US move to diesel in passenger cars was delayed/postponed by the destruction of the refinaries in Louisiana by Hurricane Katrina.

What is the new car Zath.

I do 20 kilometres for 1 litre of diesel can anyone tell me how many miles per gallon that is?

its 47,04 ...... and I've done 52,57 back in 1998 with a previous car (seat cordoba vario 1.9 tdi)

my current ride is a Volvo V50 1.6 diesel

well...

The general conversion is:

1 kpl = 2.84 mpg (imperial)

1 mpg = 0.35 kpl

so using this, 20 kpl = 56.8 mpg (Imp)

56.8 mpg (Imp) = 47 mpg (US)

Calculations:

1 liter = 0.264172052 US gallons

1 gal(US) = 3.78541 L

1 km = 0.621371 mi.

20 km = 12.4274 mi.

12.4274 mi. * 3.78541 L = 47.0428 = 47 mpg US

***The easy way:

US MPG to IMPERIAL MPG= Multiply by 1.201

IMPERIAL MPG to US MPG= Multiply by .833

Ya they are not known for the best fuel ecnonomy. With the stock tires they do not get the best if your on the highway alot 4 cyc rear end ratio 411-6 cyc 373 I went to 30" tires on mine and its better.

Sorry to hear you sold her bud.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~