Spartans Home

Battlefield 3 LOSC Server (US)

MH6~SPARTA~

I have to agree with Halli. I spent most of the time I played being frustrated. Either with the game itself or with manner in which we were playing the game.

The game itself has quite a few problems of its own that frustrate me to no end. Hopefully patches will eventually fix these.

However, patches won't fix how we conduct ourselves. I understand that, to an extent, it is a "run and gun" game. I also understand that with such games there will always be a certain level of trash talk between teams.

That being said, I think we as a community can do much better on both counts. There was very minimal teamwork or team communication going on. For the most part goals were not being set, targets not being called out consistently, and not much support was being provided. There was more cross-team chatter than there was team coordination communication, but I suppose that was mostly due to everyone staying in the same TS channel. Which, in my opinion, is the wrong answer.

Bottom line: Respect each other, remember who we are, and what we're about.

- JHunter

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with Halli. I spent most of the time I played being frustrated. Either with the game itself or with manner in which we were playing the game.

The game itself has quite a few problems of its own that frustrate me to no end. Hopefully patches will eventually fix these.

However, patches won't fix how we conduct ourselves. I understand that, to an extent, it is a "run and gun" game. I also understand that with such games there will always be a certain level of trash talk between teams.

That being said, I think we as a community can do much better on both counts. There was very minimal teamwork or team communication going on. For the most part goals were not being set, targets not being called out consistently, and not much support was being provided. There was more cross-team chatter than there was team coordination communication, but I suppose that was mostly due to everyone staying in the same TS channel. Which, in my opinion, is the wrong answer.

Bottom line: Respect each other, remember who we are, and what we're about.

- JHunter

On the topic of team work, I totally agree. There wasn't much going on with it. I think that this is mostly because we are all in the same damn TS channel. I caught myself getting ready to say, "hey guys we are losing Charlie," or "we should focus on Bravo." These are things that we should not say when others are in the same channel. This is not a new concept.

The team channels are already setup in TS. I would encourage our visitors and members to create keyboard shortcuts for each channel so they can move to them accordingly. I know that the game is new and we are still trying to figure out what weapons and kit to select, especially as we unlock new goodies. Most of the pre-game count down is taken up by kit selection. This is also a good time to select your TS channel.

In order for teamwork to work, we must separate the teams on comms. I think it is cool that we get to chill in channel and rank up and get some game time in with everyone in the channel, but we can;t complain about a lack of teamwork and desire some type of formal game play when the most basic of TS codes is not being followed. You can have one or the other, but not both.

I move, that we set a date to when it is mandatory for players to be in their respective team channels. Until that date, no whining about lack of team play and shit talking over TS. The date could be today or two weeks from now once everyone is rank 20 or so, I really don't care. It is up to the admins and mods to decide and enforce this.

Until then, we can;t have it both ways.

Yarr.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

I do agree till some extent to the last comments. First of all I am all for coordination (a bit) and team work, but what is happening right now I guess is mostly the excitement of the "new toy".

Of course we can and we should use the 2 TS channels (which I would rename in Team 1 and 2, due to the rotation and usually Teams stay the same).

Besides that, I guess we are still "testing" and "comment" the game, most importantly "learning" how it works.

I enjoyed the session I had last nite. Working with Ebden and Phisher as a Team. We didn t talk too much to each other, but I noticed we were moving together, sticking together and somewhat offering cover and support and most importantly, moving together toward the same objectives.

What I loved about this game is that IS NOT Run 'n Gun, or at least not as much as all the other Siblings out there. The more you run here, the more you die. Surprisingly I found myslef surviving quite a lot using the environemnt and covers. Sprinting from one cover to another and diving to the ground. Most of the ppl I killed were "running", a sort of confirmation you should really move cover to cover and there is Plenty of it.

I didn t play the 64 ppl version, but I find the 32 very balanced. I have a feeling the 64 vers. becomes a real carnage with ppl behind every corner, where an attempt of tacticism goes straight to the trash.

This game gave me a strong feeling it can offer WAY MORE than a barely "Conquest" or "Carnage". It gives the right feeling, between sound and graphic.

As JHunter says, "how to play is up to us". When the first excitement will be over, we should approach this game to make it better and get more of its potential. :)

Edited by Batwing~SPARTA~

I've been thinking about this as well. I think there a number of things we could do to kind of slow the gameplay down and get more of a tactical feel to the game and less of a Call of Duty one.

For instance:

On Tac. Nights (or all nights?), implement the following server settings:

• Increase spawning times--stops rampant running and gunning, as you won't be respawning so quickly when you die
  • Increase vehicle spawn times--same as above, facilitates better use of assets
  • Turning off minimap--promotes team coordination
  • Turning off cross-hairs--prevents shooting from the hip, increases usage of sights
  • Increasing revival time, so that medics have a chance of actually getting to and reviving someone before they can no longer be revived
  • Maybe also enable Squad-leader Only spawning?

Then we could stick everyone in TS in their respective team channels.

I've been thinking about this as well. I think there a number of things we could do to kind of slow the gameplay down and get more of a tactical feel to the game and less of a Call of Duty one.

For instance:

• Increase spawning times--stops rampant running and gunning, as you won't be respawning so quickly when you die
  • Turning off cross-hairs--prevents shooting from the hip, increases usage of sights
  • Increasing revival time, so that medics have a chance of actually getting to and reviving someone before they can no longer be revived

Sounds good. I wonder, though, is there a way to enable SL spawn by default? Unless I've gone daft, during the beta I'd just hit respawn after the countdown and I would go to my SL automatically. Now, it sends me way back to base. Ideas?

Sounds good. I wonder, though, is there a way to enable SL spawn by default? Unless I've gone daft, during the beta I'd just hit respawn after the countdown and I would go to my SL automatically. Now, it sends me way back to base. Ideas?

Not that I know of, I also don't recall Beta working that way (I always had to click someone to spawn on them), but maybe you played on a server with Squad-Leader Only spawning enabled? That would do what you want I think.

I have created new TS channels to help separate people into their respective team or server, and also created a specific BF3 Lobby. Lobby should be for those who just want general play and senseless chatter. If you want teamwork, use the team channels and be respectful.

+1 for teamwork and communication.

For instance:

I have created new TS channels to help separate people into their respective team or server, and also created a specific BF3 Lobby. Lobby should be for those who just want general play and senseless chatter. If you want teamwork, use the team channels and be respectful.

tumblr_lkjxc3zFsF1qi7eg5o1_500.jpg

Thoughts:

Only increase spawning times if the timer for Rush is changed, or if the # of tickets can be adjusted. Otherwise, you just totally threw the balance off in the attackers favor.

Vehicle spawn - depends on the map. We played last night with no vehicles at all, and that helped. But too large of a map, and I'm tired of running. Many of the maps were meant to be played with vehicles.

Mini-map - I have mixed feelings. Maybe its just cuz I don't know all these maps yet. I'd rather be able to see my friendlies, but limit being able to see enemy.

Cross Hairs - I thought this was off already. Or does this turn off your iron sights as well?

Revival - Make sense to me.

We could also theoretically tie in-game teams to the teamspeak channels, i.e. you join a certain channel on TS, and then TS will automatically put you in whatever channel belongs to your current in-game team. So you join the Russian side in-game, you are automatically put in the Russian-side TS3 channel for that server. Don't even have to minimize to switch teams! Just saying. biggrin.gif

Yeah I know, just another hair-brained idea of mine--I just really want to write a TS3 plugin.

Thoughts:

Only increase spawning times if the timer for Rush is changed, or if the # of tickets can be adjusted. Otherwise, you just totally threw the balance off in the attackers favor.

Vehicle spawn - depends on the map. We played last night with no vehicles at all, and that helped. But too large of a map, and I'm tired of running. Many of the maps were meant to be played with vehicles.

Mini-map - I have mixed feelings. Maybe its just cuz I don't know all these maps yet. I'd rather be able to see my friendlies, but limit being able to see enemy.

Cross Hairs - I thought this was off already. Or does this turn off your iron sights as well?

Revival - Make sense to me.

Wouldn't really affect Rush, I don't think Rush tickets decrease except for when people die. So you'd lose tickets slower as attackers. Could be wrong though.

True, but vehicle spawns are absurdly fast at the moment. Jets alone respawn in about 15 seconds it seems like.

We can leave minimap on--though it's pretty worthless regardless.

We can also turn minimap spotting off if desired (only friendlies show up then)Crosshairs are currently on (...I think), meaning you see a reticule when not using iron sights. Does not apply to sniper rifles however.

The Sparta Community is a tactical oriented group which employs coordinated communication, attack plans and contingencies to take, hold and exploit the initiative. That being said, I humbly request that a 'Server Rules for BF3' page be formulated so all of us cogs out here do not muss up the machine.

I will respectfully be side lining my interaction on the LOSC servers until there is a defined plan in place so as not to exacerbate frustrations of other players. I do not want this post to be used as a flame war or interpreted as passive aggressive, I am simply communicating that until you have things figured out, you will continue to be frustrated.

PEACE!United_States.gif

We could also theoretically tie in-game teams to the teamspeak channels, i.e. you join a certain channel on TS, and then TS will automatically put you in whatever channel belongs to your current in-game team. So you join the Russian side in-game, you are automatically put in the Russian-side TS3 channel for that server. Don't even have to minimize to switch teams! Just saying. biggrin.gif

Yeah I know, just another hair-brained idea of mine--I just really want to write a TS3 plugin.

Wouldn't really affect Rush, I don't think Rush tickets decrease except for when people die. So you'd lose tickets slower as attackers. Could be wrong though.

True, but vehicle spawns are absurdly fast at the moment. Jets alone respawn in about 15 seconds it seems like.

We can leave minimap on--though it's pretty worthless regardless.

We can also turn minimap spotting off if desired (only friendlies show up then)Crosshairs are currently on (...I think), meaning you see a reticule when not using iron sights. Does not apply to sniper rifles however.

Definitely agree about vehicle respawn times. Maybe there is a way to specify the timer on the class of vehicle. So tanks, ifv's, and aircraft take a couple minutes while jeeps and light vehicles are where the are now. I think the problem is that when you get 6 vs 6 type matches like most of the day yesterday - one tank is too dominant and forces everyone on the opposing team to go engineer.

I am 100% sure crosshairs were not on yesterday for me.

Without rehashing tons of discussions to this point, every time we get into a new game we have to redefine what "tactical" play means given the bells/knobs we can tinker with. The challenge with this game is that "getting it right" to fit our style may take a while.

If we wanted to, this thread could of been put into a moderator only area if we didn't want the overall community input. But we want your input from what you've experienced. That is much more valuable than sitting on the sidelines.

I would kindly suggest to keep the Minimap.

Considering is quite useless anyway, I actually used as a sort STHUD as Situational Awareness and see where my friends are in the close range.

Being a game with mostly fron vision, having a way to be aware of friendly positions is somethng I would have using my 5 senses and the Minimap can work for that.

I would kindly suggest to keep the Minimap.

Considering is quite useless anyway, I actually used as a sort STHUD as Situational Awareness and see where my friends are in the close range.

Being a game with mostly fron vision, having a way to be aware of friendly positions is somethng I would have using my 5 senses and the Minimap can work for that.

I agree with keeping the minimap on in terms of orienting yourself in the map, but I think we should turn off the minimap spotting as it reveals enemies also when they make a lot of noise like shooting. I've noticed that I know exactly where people are sometimes before I ever hear them and without anyone spotting them.

The Sparta Community is a tactical oriented group which employs coordinated communication, attack plans and contingencies to take, hold and exploit the initiative. That being said, I humbly request that a 'Server Rules for BF3' page be formulated so all of us cogs out here do not muss up the machine.

I will respectfully be side lining my interaction on the LOSC servers until there is a defined plan in place so as not to exacerbate frustrations of other players. I do not want this post to be used as a flame war or interpreted as passive aggressive, I am simply communicating that until you have things figured out, you will continue to be frustrated.

PEACE!United_States.gif

Without rehashing tons of discussions to this point, every time we get into a new game we have to redefine what "tactical" play means given the bells/knobs we can tinker with. The challenge with this game is that "getting it right" to fit our style may take a while.

If we wanted to, this thread could of been put into a moderator only area if we didn't want the overall community input. But we want your input from what you've experienced. That is much more valuable than sitting on the sidelines.

Agreed. You have opinions. They are valued. Share them.

Amazon Mutha #*@~*rs!!! :ranting2:

Just spent 20 minutes on a live chat to their customer service teams asking why my delivery with a guaranteed 'day-of-release' shipping option, still hasn't been despatched and has an estimate of the 29th???

Apparently, because I changed my delivery option 4 days before release (2 days before they ship out) it doesn't give them enough time. I only changed the fecking delivery method because on my tracker it had, in extra visible text, "Want it on day of release, change to First-class".

If I wanted to change my delivery option to "Expedited", they could ship it for tomorrow delivery.

They had no answer when I said "so I can change now to a +£5 option and you will guarantee tomorrow but a change 4 days ago couldn't achieve that??? :wallbash: FML!

So, Amazon order cancelled, will now order from Origin when I get home. Aaaaaarghh!

They had no answer when I said "so I can change now to a +£5 option and you will guarantee tomorrow but a change 4 days ago couldn't achieve that??? :wallbash: FML!

So, Amazon order cancelled, will now order from Origin when I get home. Aaaaaarghh!

Complete crap! The power of the all mighty Dollar, Euro, Franc, Kroner, Peso, Pound or Yen (listed alphabetically not by value, for those sensitive to the subject)

I hope you have bandwidth to guarantee a speedy download...... Almost there Watchy, hang in there!

Complete crap! The power of the all mighty Dollar, Euro, Franc, Kroner, Peso, Pound or Yen (listed alphabetically not by value, for those sensitive to the subject)

I hope you have bandwidth to guarantee a speedy download...... Almost there Watchy, hang in there!

Minor result, wifey still at home following Doc's appointment. Talked her through Origin start-up and got the game ordered (still get the bonus content :thumbsup_anim: ). It's downloading as we speak and this time of day I usually get stable downloads speeds close to my max of 1mb.

She found it funny when reading through the order and got to part of the bonus content which was a beret & Gun. She assumed it meant toys that would be sent out, now she has visions of me sitting in front of the PC all camo'd up! :gun:

Fingers crossed it will be finished for when I get home! :banana: :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Watchman~SPARTA~

As far as the 3d spotting you guys are aware that if your spotted then move behind cover you dissappear from view unless someone can actually see you. I spot people all the time on other servers and when they dissapear from my view they vanish on my 3d spotting until they come back into view.

In regards to the restriction of play styles in order to conform to the hardcore tactical player. We as a community cannot keep that server populated at all hours of the day, if we want a populated server that we can log onto and play at any time then restricting the heck out of it may be to our detriment.

I am all for more tactical play and seperating comms into teams and even as far as into individual squads with squad leaders on whisper to each other. That being said, this is not ARMA this is BF3 and a more tactical setup in this game, at least to me, limits the game and reduces the fun level of the overall experience. If we limited this to a tactical game play then maps would take 3 hours to complete with half the team playing recon and snipeing from a hill, just like what happens in Arma. The balance we need is to dicipline up the comms and set the server up in a more tactical manner then pick some of the more annoying habits (C-4 on a vehicle then drive it into something and boom)and spawn camping illegal then let people play the game.

There was talk of a crouch only rule on our servers which is a great idea on the small maps but walking 2 km crouched will kill the experience instead just limit the sprit upgrade or something like that where you limit people to a normal attainable speed instead of outright killing their ability to fire and manuver. BF3 is a very realistic game already and restricting it excessivly will not help the experince for everyone in our community.

The balance is finding that point where the hardcore and run and gun crowd meet. Last night we had a great time after a minor issue with a map setup allowing defenders to kill people right at the spawn. All it took was one quick word about it and the practice ceased. We are a community and we all care about each others play experience instead of creating these all binding rules and bannable offenses just speak up and say something then we will discuss it as a community and decide the action. We are Sparta not I am a Spartan.

Edited by Gunthar~SPARTA~

As far as the 3d spotting you guys are aware that if your spotted then move behind cover you dissappear from view unless someone can actually see you. I spot people all the time on other servers and when they dissapear from my view they vanish on my 3d spotting until they come back into view.

But you'd still know the area about where they were. Here's why I don't like 3D spotting:

[YT]7e_cLfMjsQk[/YT]

As you know, I play mostly as Recon. I do it for the challenge of locating targets from a distance and then actually hitting them from that distance. This immature shit pisses me off.

In regards to the restriction of play styles in order to conform to the hardcore tactical player. We as a community cannot keep that server populated at all hours of the day, if we want a populated server that we can log onto and play at any time then restricting the heck out of it may be to our detriment.

I am all for more tactical play and seperating comms into teams and even as far as into individual squads with squad leaders on whisper to each other. That being said, this is not ARMA this is BF3 and a more tactical setup in this game, at least to me, limits the game and reduces the fun level of the overall experience. If we limited this to a tactical game play then maps would take 3 hours to complete with half the team playing recon and snipeing from a hill, just like what happens in Arma. The balance we need is to dicipline up the comms and set the server up in a more tactical manner then pick some of the more annoying habits (C-4 on a vehicle then drive it into something and boom)and spawn camping illegal then let people play the game.

Agreed on the "annoying habits".

There was talk of a crouch only rule on our servers which is a great idea on the small maps but walking 2 km crouched will kill the experience instead just limit the sprit upgrade or something like that where you limit people to a normal attainable speed instead of outright killing their ability to fire and manuver. BF3 is a very realistic game already and restricting it excessivly will not help the experince for everyone in our community.

I'm thinking (hoping?) the crouch-only suggestion was a "special event" sort of deal, not a persistent server mandate.

The balance is finding that point where the hardcore and run and gun crowd meet. Last night we had a great time after a minor issue with a map setup allowing defenders to kill people right at the spawn. All it took was one quick word about it and the practice ceased. We are a community and we all care about each others play experience instead of creating these all binding rules and bannable offenses just speak up and say something then we will discuss it as a community and decide the action. We are Sparta not I am a Spartan.

Well said, Sir.

"Crouch Only" worked very well in COD MW, the maps suited it and it brought a calmer & more structured gameplay.

The same can be done here, I'm sure, all we need to do is define the right elements for BF3, in particular the larger maps: Maybe a run/walk/run approach or simply implement crouch movement as soon as you come under fire. As for frequency, I think the same logic as the MW games, one night a week.