Spartans Home

Multi Session Operations

DaiSan

The idea is great! its only a toolkit tho,you still have to make the missions yourself.....but the idea of playing this on a fixed day every week is awesome!

Yeah I have to agree this sounds really really cool. The idea of only 3 or 4 people being able to play one day and getting on the server and doing some recon or something along those lines helping the next combat strengthed session with valuable intel gets me excited.

I wish I could script because I would love to work on or help someone work on missions for this.

I have uploaded a copy to the Ace server but need to speak to Zeno regarding some server options before we use it. I have had a play about on my own server and am rather impressed so far though it would require player discipline to get the most out of it (after action reports and JIP markers need to be used).

If we can get it sorted does anyone fancy giving it a test over a period of a week?

Yes!

Just a question tho,what is the danger of a person accidentally starting the entire mission from the beginning.........fe lets say the start was on Monday and on a Thursday i decide to do some recon all alone since no one is online and i start up the mission and it fugggs everything up.....how does that work....or do you have to keep that server running the entire week 24h a day?

As usual with anything that looks half decent for ArmA, there may be some issues.

I uploaded the Ace Takistan MSO to the Server and created the Vehicle rights file and tested it (I had only done local testing before this). I immediately came across several issues.

1: The Vehicle rights file I created doesn't seem to have any effect, even though I have Pilot, Crew and Admin rights I still cannot Pilot or Crew or Drive any vehicle larger than a truck.

2: I could not leave any After Action Reports, it said I needed a Radio even though I had one in my gear screen. Also I could add JIP markers (or at least go through the process) on the map but when I transmit them they do not appear, no error just nothing on the map. Both of these things worked fine when hosting a server myself.

3: Most importantly, It ran like a dog at times dropping to under 5 fps with huge lag spikes. Upon investigation this can be an issue on anything but a high end server so I will leave a post on the MSO forums and see if there are any fixes for these issues.

1 & 2 sorted, 3 still needs testing. Server is up and running at the moment for anyone to jump in, password is Here.

I would suggest everyone read This before joining the server or else you will probably have no idea what to do.

Please leave feedback on how the server is running and general bugs etc.

Played a little last night and had one issue, how can you increase the amount of enemies and objectives because it seemed as if we spent most of the time driving from point to point instead of actually accomplishing things. I think it may be just a setting however I am not sure.

One major hurdle I could see for this being a normal mode on our servers will be the use of hardcore ACE wounds. Maybe the use of anouther revive like the one we have in DOM might be better suited to our playerbase. Just a though.

Edited by Gunthar~SPARTA~

There is a setting right at the bottom called "enemy spawn rate" or something like that,by default it is set at 33% if im not mistaken....but even at 100% it is not that impressive.....perhaps you need to open up all the factions below that setting to have some kind of opposition because as Gunthar said...there just wasnt much to do in terms of fighting.

The "build yourself a fob" is awesome tho,Iron and i spend a few hours setting up a FOB and its actually fun to do so.....tho we are the crappiest artillery operators EVER!

I guess i still dont know enough about this but it looks promising,but again....last night everyone was just kind of lost traveling the map for hours not knowing what to do and people were looking for a fight but there just wasnt much to shoot at....

Edit: server got a bit slow and the chatspam is more than anoying,so is the time syncing that just stops your entire game as if its about to crash...it almost looks like the more people are on the server the more time syncing there is.

@Dai san that password link doesnt work for non members :(

Edited by EL_n00biachi

Pass is same as yesterday. Ill be hanging in TS, if you need it ask me.

As for enemy.

As i notice yesterday you guys bring run and gun altitude in to this map yesterday. Its same problem as with insurgency.

Its fine for me since we are learning here, but remember it's not domination.

I hardly ever bring run and gun attitude to any map,and i was speaking in general...listening to TS there just wasnt much to shoot at and after the euro's left and the Americans came online it was the same thing;driving around nothing to do with lotsa disconnects and an empty server as a result.

Guess we just need a weekend session with Dai San showing us what to do,otherwise its in danger of being chopped to pieces without giving it a real chance just because we dont know what to do.....which is kinda silly.

Again in terms of "bugs" server gets kinda slow,chatspam is annoying and the time syncing is dangerous....you definitely dont want to be in a firefight while thats happening.

Had no scroll menu on first join. After rejoin my scroll menu appeared but my action menu disappeared. Last one turned out to be my keyboard that had disconnected, though. ^^

Didn't like that I always have to join as the same character, though. I only have BAF-Lite, so I get irritated after while with the low-res textures on my character... :rolleyes:

^^Didn't like that I always have to join as the same character, though. I only have BAF-Lite, so I get irritated after while with the low-res textures on my character... :rolleyes:

LOL join as the yanks then mate. very good game enjoyed that a lot.Stick in a few pilot slots n ill stick in one of them dai. I think resupin the convoy with gas n spare tyres was great. just the kind of job i like doing.

we need a chopper support station at the main base and is there a way to lift base supplys with the chopper, maybe load em in a truck n lift ??

Great mission cant wait to play tommorow n see how we progresed.

Unfortunately, Cent, if I've once joined as a BAF I have to continue joining as that character until the mission is reset.

Dai, as for jotting down roles, I'd like to have the German Spec Ops TL, you know the guy with the shemagh around his head? Do you want preferred kit also?

Bugs/things that need fixing:

- Need to get some earplugs, goggles, glasses and stuff into the ammo crates

- Weapons are very limited ATM

- I had a rucksack set as "on back" when I left the server the other day. When I rejoined yesterday the ruck was gone. It was the larger PRC ruck. Couldn't find a new one in the ammocrates either, so something went fishy there. Or is this because the mission only allows a certain amount of radios, so it respawns them and lets other people pick them up?

Hi guy's,

I'm glad people seem to be enjoying MSO and I'm happy to edit the original mission to a certain degree, but I feel I must clarify things a bit.

This is not domination.

Or Insurgency.

Almost everything is random.

And I want to leave a lot of things as they are.

You may well join on a particular evening and NOT have hundreds of enemies to shoot, or large engagements of vehicles. This does not mean it needs tweaking to make it harder because at any time it could spawn a larger force, or decide to attack a FOB or an area you have already secured.

Also, I am not going to keep adding hundreds of this, or loads of that when it comes to weapons or equipment. The idea is that TEAMWORK will prevail. You are not Arnie or Rambo, if you join the server and there are only a few people around, or you are alone, do some Recon, or some building. If kit is not readily available then someone else has used it. It WILL respawn, but the default time is about 4 hours.

As to character selection, there are 3 choices.

1: BAF.

2: US Army.

3: US Marine Corp.

And there are 3 roles.

1: Team Leader.

2: Soldier.

3: Pilot.

The choice of kit is yours, I have included Goggles, Earplugs and GPS as standard when you spawn.

Unfortunately it is a restriction in the way ArmA works that the only way to keep the Server/Mission Persistent is for you to select, then KEEP the same slot. There is no way (that I know of) of reserving slots so when you leave someone could always join in your slot and this would cause you to not be able to join again until that slot was free. To counteract this I have named each slot as a person who wants to play. Again, this will NOT stop (as an example) Me jumping in Zeno's slot and then Zeno not being able to play while I occupy it, but we're all adults and I'm hoping people act sensibly.

On this note I also want to touch on a few things.

This MSO server will only be worth using if people do the following.

Leave After Action Reports when ANYTHING of significance happens. There are full instructions on how to do this in the User Manual.

Leave JIP Markers. Again, how will people who join when you have left know what you have seen, killed, built etc.

Also, equipment. I have manually reduced the time it takes for weapon crates at spawn to reappear when loaded into a vehicle. By default it was 4 hours. I have left everything else as standard and don't want to change them.

People need to realise that in this gametype you need to think of resources and consequences.

It IS possible to load the medical facility into a vehicle and take it with you, same goes for almost anything (weapon crates, supplies etc). But should you?

If you load the Medical Facility into a chopper, and the Ruck crate, and the Medical Crate, and the Launcher Crate for instance. Then fly off to a Recon point you have established... Great, you are well kitted out for whatever may happen. 45mins later you have to go out and walk the dog... Great, you are going to respawn exactly where you were when you left with all your lovely stuff around you. BUT... 10mins after you have left, someone else joins, and they cant get any Medical supplies, or Rucks, or Launchers etc because some thoughtless bugger has flown them half way across the map.

There are empty crates supplied at spawn, fill em up with what you think you might need and take that instead, or manually place individual items in the chopper/vehicle but PLEASE don't take the whole crate, you are just being selfish and spoiling someone else's enjoyment.

Now, I realise that this isn't MY server, and I AM NOT the MSO police. As SPARTANS we can play how we want on the servers (within reason). But this also applies to ME and whether I keep on adjusting the default MSO mission for the Server or not.

So far everyone seems to be enjoying themselves and willing to learn how the gametype works (me included). TBH I have spent more time modding the thing than playing it so you guy's probably know how it actually plays better than I do. But if we, as a community decide it's worth developing, then great. If not then I can stop editing and get on with playing :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Dai-San~SPARTA~