Spartans Home

VIDEO - GR:IT Hidden Spectre for PC Gamer

Fatal_Papercut~SPARTA~

The reason Kav is not able to watch this youtube vid might be because you're using John Powell's music wich might be blocked in certain countries.

Oh my, thanks for the head's up. I just wish YouTube had informed me that this is the case, but then again, I knew when I made the video that it might be a problem. The previous video for Angel Rage used some of the same music, but then again, the music wasn't as prominent due to all of the background noise. If nothing else, the end credits music for the recent vid is very prominent, which may have triggered YouTube's algorithm that sniffs out such things.

So, from now on, videos will take longer, because I will compose my own score, with the exception of the use of the GR:IT Theme music for the opening sequence (and only for GR:IT missions).

** EDIT ** In fact, since Evan Lahti is out-of-office for SXSW and may not put a link on PC Gamer until he gets back, I'm going to start composing and recording right now. I may have to re-render and re-post if PC Gamer is going to have an issue with the video being blocked in some countries.

Edited by Fatal_Papercut~SPARTA~

Finally watched the video. Just awesome. It is getting better and better. Looks like Lightys missions are going to become an interactive movie set. :thumbsup_anim:

And yes since I moved from greece to germany I realized that a lot of the youtube videos I watched in greece are now not available in germany.

Looking at the comments there seem to be alot of people looking for the gameplay we love and use here at SPARTA but usually end up in the cesspool of public servers....wich gave me an idea to have some sort of "Open house"....perhaps this Sunday evening.

Open up a central download topic with all the patches,mods,islands needed to play with us and howto set it up...wich is really needed.

After everyone is set....play a couple of AO's on the Taki,Lingor,Ovaron and Chernarus islands! and show the people interested how ARMA2 should be played!...people are just dying to play with me..us...uhh...i mean us lol...and SPARTA has more than enough slots on the server...

Anyway just an idea, im not part of SPARTA so its not up to me and im sure not everyone would like to open pandora's box and have all kinds of random people strolling around the servers and forum...but you can filter out the "good" people with ease...your thoughts...??

I agree with El_n00biachi, people are just dying to play with me....err...umm...us I mean. The thing is, I think SPARTA is already an open house, there are ALWAYS kind helpful people on server and comms, willing to assist the dusty shoed wanderer who finds his/her way to the LOSC community.

They will come, and it will be good, for I have closed my eyes and dreamed the dream that is SPARTA!

Howdy Folks,

Evan Lahti has said that he is more than willing and excited to join us for another TAC mission. I expect to hear from him soon as to what date & time will work best for his schedule, but odds are very likely that it will be Saturday the 26th or Sunday the 27th, and the time is likely to be similar to what it was before.

Furthermore, while I have agreed to remain silent regarding specific details for the time being, I can tell you that we will be participating in something special. :)

As with the previous mission featuring Evan, I am hoping to be able to record the event, and I will create a new thread for sign-ups as soon as the date & time are set. I can also tell you that we will have a few more slots for this event (Evan says he thinks the mission will support up to 12 players), so there is an even greater opportunity for more people to get in this time around.

Noobiachi to be honest I am not excited about an explosion in growth, we had that when we first started our Arma 2 public servers, we had around 60 people on 2 servers, at one point we were 3rd by population Globally and 1st in the US. Even with multiple server admins putting many hours a day in and even more game moderators we could barely keep the servers under control.

I, personally, do not have the energy to manage a hectic server and I am sure that all of us who did, feel the same.

I have no idea where we are now but at least I can play the game when I want, without having to worry about keeping the server from going out of control.

People will drift in, if they like it here they will stay a while. We are not recruiting, people are welcome to join if they want, but we are a pretty open group and many non members enjoy the same privileges as though they were, we pay as much attention to our friends as we do to our members.

Fatal, another great job and thanks to Evan for the kind words about our community. I hope his future visits are as Evan and not as the senior editor of PC Gamer.

The video has now hit the front page of PC Gamer Magazine's website.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/17/hardcore-war-watch-me-play-arma-2-with-proper-tactics/

Check out Frank's post, apparently we're all 45 year old virgins who fail at life and are ruining what ARMA is all about.

I take offence at that.......... I'm only 43!

Noobiachi to be honest I am not excited about an explosion in growth, we had that when we first started our Arma 2 public servers, we had around 60 people on 2 servers, at one point we were 3rd by population Globally and 1st in the US. Even with multiple server admins putting many hours a day in and even more game moderators we could barely keep the servers under control.

I, personally, do not have the energy to manage a hectic server and I am sure that all of us who did, feel the same.

I have no idea where we are now but at least I can play the game when I want, without having to worry about keeping the server from going out of control.

People will drift in, if they like it here they will stay a while. We are not recruiting, people are welcome to join if they want, but we are a pretty open group and many non members enjoy the same privileges as though they were, we pay as much attention to our friends as we do to our members.

Fatal, another great job and thanks to Evan for the kind words about our community. I hope his future visits are as Evan and not as the senior editor of PC Gamer.

One of our requirements that really weeded a lot of people out was the necessity to be on TS with us and on top of that, the age requirement (although I seriously doubt that many minors can handle ArmA2 anyways). Our general rule is that we will make room for those on Teamspeak as it betters the environment and leads towards the team-based atmosphere we look for in all games.

This being said, I think Zeno has the right approach here. If people want to play, that's fine, but keep in mind that we have rules that are designed to protect our current community from many negative internal and external influences such as harassment, for example. These are designed to keep the LOSC Ethos the primary reason to stay and play. Those who don't play by the rules are either asked to leave, if they refuse... booted, or they leave on their own accord when they realize LOSC isn't what they are looking for.

All in all, it creates and environment with flexibility and yet retains a tight focus on the important aspects.

Well..

I had to reply to Frank.. i couldn t keep it inside.. I am sorry :)

EDIT:

And as I already expressed on another thread, my apologies for that reply.

I tried to go back and delete it but it was too late. I shouldn t have posted that with a tag, being exclusively my personal opinion.

Edited by Batwing~SPARTA~

I feel zeno's right. It was the community spirit of SPARTA that made me want to be a part of it. the thought of every tom dick and harry (no offence to any current SPARTA members with above names :)) ) jumping on the servers worries me no end.

That said sign me up for the next GR:IT round fatal and great job on that vid.

@Batwing

I dont think you did any thing wrong - I would have flamed him a lot harder - the fact is, that kid is a dickhead and why hold back on him - it wont tarnish the Sparta name. Everyone who reads that thread knows that he likes to suck Richard in his spare time and deserves those comments.

I may not be a virgin, but I sure do act like one now that I've been married for a few years!

:lol:

Brilliant quote Durka.

I remember "back in the day", I believe the saying is, when the mods spent more time policing the servers than actually playing the game. It killed it for me for a long time.

As long as we're talking about videos, I hope this is not too OT, but check out this:

http://www.theduogroup.com/shorts/operation-bigeye/

I cant imagine they get all these players to actually play these choreographed moves.

The BIS forums have a thread dedicated to user-made videos, and some of them are amazingly well-done. The thread currently has 232 pages (!), but you'll probably find something interesting just by clicking through the thread at random.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=75962

This one in particular makes me laugh...

Edited by Fatal_Papercut~SPARTA~