Spartans Home

WOW! Job offer

Wow I just recieceved a job offer with Dyna corp in afganastan for a EVT technition for a 12 month contract for $128,000 a year and hazardus duty pay as well. WOW I don't know, sure is tempting! Sure beats the crap out of these pissant jobs that are on now. What do you guys think?

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

That's awesome, I'd take it if you don't have many ties. Is it a mechanic job? You won't have many days off, but you'll be treated really well and you won't be spending much, so you'll probably come home with $100k saved up if you do it right. That could get me through life for about 3yrs, lol.

Its at Kandahar international airport, crash truck mechanic. Air fair included and houseing, food, and 30 days paid vacation. WOW!

7 days a week 12 hour days.

The fact that you haven't immediately binned the idea says that you would regret missing out on this opportunity in the future. The airport, one has to presume, will be one of the most heavily guarded areas as it is so important, so it will probably be as safe as you can get in a civilian/mixed environment.

I wish you luck.

Wow I just recieceved a job offer with Dyna corp in afganastan for a EVT technition for a 12 month contract for $128,000 a year and hazardus duty pay as well. WOW I don't know, sure is tempting! Sure beats the crap out of these pissant jobs that are on now. What do you guys think?

Afghanistan = What's your life worth? ... worth alot more than 128K

White/ Black people/ Americans/ Europeans stand out in a country with more GUNS than People, in a country with one of the highest recorded kidnapping & killing of western personnel in the world.

The only place I can think of that is worse... Somalia (Black hawk down)

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/afghanistan

:exclaim:

http://www.claytonconsultants.com/en/assets/pdf/articles/Clayton-Afghanistan-Dec2007.pdf

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/6197931/Al-Qaeda-plots-to-kidnap-civilian-workers-in-Afghanistan.html

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18916656

http://edition.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/anderson.cooper.360/blog/2007/04/kidnapping-threat-grows-in-afghanistan.html

I'za thinks you've been playing too much ARMA2 / AO which is nothing like reality...

Good luck.

when i had just started my current job (5 years ago) the training company i had been working with emailed out info about IT jobs, think it was somehting to do with NATO or somehting i cant remember who specifically but they were looking for ppl to take 12 month contract in places like Boznia £60,000 tax free and all accomodation and living costs paid, Iraq £100,000 same deal and Afghanistan £whatever-you-want.

dismissed it all because of my circumstances then but would seriously consider it now if i had the offer. would love to be mortage free at my age. as long i wasnt beheaded then it would be an interesting experience also :)

My buddy went over there last year and worked the same schedule as a fire protection engineer on a heavily attacked forward base. He said they weren't allowed to drink, smoke, or even consider traveling off base. He made out in money though. He got to see the world in a controversial area and would give his left n*t to go back. He said the closest thing that happened was a few mortar shells hit outside the base, immediately followed by mortar targeting artillery. Yeah, no more mortars after that.

My advice is to take it. Yes it dangerous; its Afghanistan. But take it, you may never get the chance to again. Just make sure you don't do any travel back to the states while you are there. If you do, uncle sam will send you a nice bill for back taxes in the several 10's of thousands range.

I know if I was offered 250,000 GBP (350,000 dollars US) I'd say fcuk you. I can earn that in less than 10 years

of living in the west & seeing my family & friends.

If your stuck for work, look for something different in the USA & fly to that STATE & live there for a year.

'Zath' did just that.

Afghanistan is classified as EXTREME RICK.

http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/afghanistan/introduction.aspx

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/afghanistan

I would maybe consider it if I didn't have to leave the airport LIKE EVER, it is a lot of money but like Viii says it's an awfully dangerous place.

Wow some of the links that viii put up is enough for me, the only way Ide go was as soon as the plane landed they hand me flak jacket and a fully outfitted m4 with a 203 on the bottom and be able to shoot anything that looked threating. Not being able to smoke or drink booze is enough for me not going.

Wow some of the links that viii put up is enough for me, the only way Ide go was as soon as the plane landed they hand me flak jacket and a fully outfitted m4 with a 203 on the bottom and be able to shoot anything that looked threating. Not being able to smoke or drink booze is enough for me not going.

It's not that dangerous, especially for contractors. Is there the remote possibility for a mortar to come close? Sure, like anything, but there are places in America that are more dangerous. And, if you're going to be working on the Kandahar airfield, you don't need to worry about a thing. It's extremely rare that you'd even leave the base, and you're more likely to die of boredom. Not being able to smoke is ridiculous. Not being able to drink is a good possibility, but there are always sources for booze. The most dangerous thing is dealing with crashing airplanes, which is your job if I understand it correctly. I don't know if you're rich, but I'm definately not, and if I didn't have a wife and 3yr old, I'd jump at the chance to spend 12mo earning 128k. Actually, I'd probably do it even with a wife/3yr old!

Ask yourself if there's anywhere else you can make that amount of money, visit exotic lands, and hang out with the best people this world has to offer.

Athlon, to set your mind at rest, and this is a view from 2010, my top 10 advice.

1. You will not ever be allowed to leave the base.

2. Bagram, Kabul and Kandahar are very well set-up with force protection, the only likely threat is from IDF, which is infrequent and light.

3. The bases are very well set up with recreational facilities, you will only get bored during your downtime if you want to be.

4. You will be doing a job that is worthwhile, is part of the NATO effort, and is an opportunity of a lifetime.

5. Communications are getting better there are WiFi hotspots and telephone cards [AT&T isn't great].

6. You will spend nothing, the food is great with many choices.

7. You will be issued with all the equipment required for personal safety and will be trained to cope with the dangers associated with the location.

8. You will work with a great team, there is nothing like a little adversity to bring out the best in people.

9. The airports are some of the busiest, and OMG you see and play with some fantastic equipment.

10. 12 months of life enrichment

I second what Andrewman and Durka says.

Right now i am considering going there as part as the international policeforce in Afghanistan. Off curse we recieve aditional military training and we don´t move an inch without personal military protection and we get equipped with personal defence weapons so it´s a little different but still. With a wife and kid i wouldn´t even consider it if it was remotely dangerous for me. I do have faith in what i have heard from eople going htere before me.

There a daily intelligence updates in these areas and if they know of any attacks or hostillity in the area you just don´t go to work that day. Simple as that!

Off curse u hear about kidnappings ect but it only happen to people that don´t follow the simple rules and move beoynd the secure areas.

As a civil contractor u will be so well protected and its probably more save than crossing the street in your home town.

If i were u i would really consider the offer. It´s a opertunity to do something good in this world and u will remember it for the rest of your life

Edited by usthomsen~SPARTA~

Well it is a tempting offer. I had an offer a few years back to go to Saudi Arabia as an Aircraft Mechanic with the same perks (free housing,food,etc.)

I eventually turned it down because of numerous personal reasons, and because of massive restrictions on what you could and could not do.

As far as going to Afganistan, I dunno. It is a matter of what you want from life. Money isnt everything.

But it will give you a perspective on some other parts of the world.

I have no idea how dangerous it is, my guess is in an airport your as safe as it is possible to be in that country.

I doubt they will let you have a gun, but probably a flak jacket.

Just remember not to make the decision soley based on the money. It should be a decision based on what you want to experience in life.

That's good advice Zath, it needs to be discussed with your family Athlon, ignore what we say as it is worth squat when compared to your family views. Just don't be put off by what you see in the media - they wouldn't be runnung it if it wasn't sensational and normal days - which the majority are - just aren't newsworthy.

http://www.njatc.org/

Become a lineman if your in a position to make a life altering career change. You don't have to know someone to get into the trade either, just a good attitude, be a hard worker, mechanically inclined helps, have common sense and good judgement. Check it out. You will definetly make good $$$, theres a high demand for lineman especially in the near future, job security, good benefits and retirement. You can always check out the local utilities to see if they are hiring, if you don't want to travel. There are vocational schools around the country that have classes to introduce you into the trade to help get your foot into the door as well. Once you become a Journeyman Lineman there will be many other doors and jobs that will open up to you if you seek that. Im a 6th step apprentice and have been in the trade for about 4 years(about 1 1/2 years from topping out into Journeyman Lineman). I enjoy it a lot. I couldn't imagine doing antyhing else because I learn something everyday, I get to see and do new things here and there, climbing poles is awesome, if your not afraid of heights, from 25' to 110'. If you see me in teamspeak come and talk to me anytime you want if you got questions, I will be glad to help.

Every job with a high salary has its backside..... I like to live a normal life, be able to go on holiday every now and then, and just watch my kids grow.... Being lucky depends on where you set the bar..... most people are happy with their wealth for a short time, and when the swimming pool gets boring they want more.... Thats one of the things that make people do stupid things or go into crime.

I go on holiday abroad every 2 years, not enough money for a yearly trip, but I still consider myself lucky, with a nice job, a nice wife and 3 wonderfull kids. Taking a high payd job abroad would only enter my mind If my kids are grown-up. and only to get my pension payd up as it seems that we lose money on that every day with our penison companies risking too much on wall street....

Remember that about 95% of all people are way poorer than you, and still most of them feel lucky....