Spartans Home

Custard in NY

For my wifes 40th birthday the mother in law is paying for us to go to NY ( I like the M in L), going today back Wednesday very much looking forward to it as we've never been to the US before.

Fantastic! Have a great time Custard! I think you will like it. New york city. If you like the theater theres lots of good shows on Broadway, like the lion king and I don't know if Phantom is still playing, and Cats And stomp is good to. Theres tons of really fabulious places to eat at. You have to try some thick pizza, and a Philly cheese steak sub. Go to the statue of liberty and check out the trade towers memorial, and the empire state building and the crysler bulding as well. Have fun bud!

Aw that's awesome Cuss! Have a good time and it's a good thing you're married because I'd tell you to stay away from the Latvians there. They'll snatch ya up before you knew what happened. :lol:

I'd echo what Ath said, but I think my favorite time was drinking with the locals in some of the Irish pubs on the south side. (I think it was the south side?)

Yep, the shows on Broadway are pretty damn good.

Also make sure to visit the Intrepid Museum. Nothing beats going up on a carrier and looking at all the helicopters/planes from the past 40 or so years. They may have WWII stuff as well, I can't remember. (The Intrepid itself is a WWII carrier)

Oh, and be prepared to do a shit load of walking.

If you have the time, do two touristy things as early on as you can. Go on the ferry tour that goes around manhattan island (near the Intrepid), and get on the red/blue bus circuit around midtown/uptown. It helps you get your bearings, see a bunch of things outside that you really couldn't find time to do with a taxi, and opens up the door for what you might want to sepdn more time on. One warning though; the red/blue buses can be very busy so if you get an early start on them for the south side of manhattan, the north side will be manageable for the afternoon.

Breeze lives just across the river see if ya'll can meet and borrow alot of money from him..... :rolleyes:

Haha Elvis call ICE.................. :o :D

Be safe and have a great time.

p.s. put wallet in front pocket not rear.

New Yorkers can be a mixed bag. Please don't lump the rest of us Americans in with any New Yorkers you run across that you have a bad experience with. There are always exceptions, but especially in the Manhatten, New Yorkers tend toward being ruder than the average American. I think it is only natural that when you lump that many people into one small piece of real estate, you tend to have people that withdraw from social courtesies.

My all time favorite quote from a New Yawker...

"Hey guys, do you know what the greatest nation on Earth is? You don't know? It's the DO-Nation!"

To which my buddy replied...

"Dude, we JUST came out of a strip club, and you're asking for money? You are definately working the wrong street" lol

I take offense to all of these NY comments!

Custard, heres my tips if you want to enjoy NY:

1. Spend all of 10 minutes in times square; long enough to walk from one end to to the other preferably.

2. If you walk off the square a bit and find a little pizza shop you will have the best pizza ever made.

3. If a man asks you to take a listen to his cd, make sure you listen, say he's the greatest artist alive and promptly return it.

4. The bus tours are cool if you're into seeing things like one of the first theaters in the city. Which is actually a strip club now...no joke.

5. The best things about the city happen after 10PM.

6. Lastly, don't plan on making plans and actually sticking to them.

Enjoy! Make sure you stop by the World trade center grounds and pay your respects to the fallen firefighters. I do believe the iron cross is still standing.

Edited by Yankee~SPARTA~

• 1 month later...

Been back a while now just sorted a few photos so I'm finely getting around to replying.

To say we had a good time is some understatement.

Zeno we walked from 7th Avenue all along 42nd St to about 2nd Avenue and didn't see Sparks so we found somewhere else I got a steak but no glass of red, maybe next time.

Yankee I'm the proud owner of one of those CD's I got you're warning too late bro :wallbash:

Cy we came accross one rude person the whole time, we all thought the people were really friendly.

The scale of NY is draw dropping I didn't stop looking up for two days we also didn't get off Manhattan except to go to see Liberty. We did get to see a show, West Side Story, the America number blew my socks off I'm not a big theater fan but it was wicked.

The best time I had was on the aircraft carrier Intrepid with all the aircraft on the deck a Concorde parked up beside AND the Growler nuclear missile sub it was a great day.

After our walk down 42nd we went to the Empire state as you can see from my expression I don't do heights

NY014069.jpg

Harry inside Growler

NY013052.jpg

On topotherock

NY009053.jpg

I made the family cross the road for a pic in front of the truck, the driver got out and let the kids in to have a look

NY001023.jpg