Spartans Home

Working the Oil Slick - Not sure when I will be on.

Greetings from the EPA Region 4 Command Center. I left Philadelphia before the Liberty Rad Ex was over to come down to the worst ecological disaster in US history.

Doing 15 hr days with all the over time I can handle.

Things are looking pretty bad right now. Current rate of flow is 25k per day. It will be at least 1 to 2 weeks before the dome will be in place. As of right now their is a possibility that the well heads might collapse and this will start a 250k per day flow if this happens it is game over.

Anyway, It might be a few weeks possible months before I am on line.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is worse than the Exxon spill? Good luck buddy and take care of yourself!

This makes Exxon look like an oil-change. Good luck man, I wish I could help from NL.

So much for the Gulf's ecosystem, and once that shit reaches the Gulf Stream?!

What a fuck'n scar on the planet.

Data check:

Exxon spill 40.9M litres/8.998M Gal total

BP leak 5000 barrels/day=0.8M litres/0.176M Gal day (Source, 1 oil barrel =159 lit)

Basic figure to reach equivalent volume-51 days of leaking at constant disch. If majestic's estimate of 250k comes true with further failure, then .

Exxon was closer to shore, hypothetically more devastating to a region in the Gulf of Alaska than the BP spill, but oil ultimately impacting a much smaller area due to the openness of the Gulf of AK. The Gulf of Mexico is much tighter, the ecosystem equally fragile, and the economy and people impacted much, much larger. This one's scary.

Edited by Ebden~SPARTA~

This makes Exxon look like an oil-change. Good luck man, I wish I could help from NL.

So much for the Gulf's ecosystem, and once that shit reaches the Gulf Stream?!

What a fuck'n scar on the planet.

Data check:

BP leak 5000 barrels/day=0.8M litres/0.176M Gal day (Source, 1 oil barrel =159 lit)

Basic figure to reach equivalent volume-51 days of leaking at constant disch. If majestic's estimate of 250k comes true with further failure, then .

Exxon was closer to shore, hypothetically more devastating to a region in the Gulf of Alaska than the BP spill, but oil ultimately impacting a much smaller area due to the openness of the Gulf of AK. The Gulf of Mexico is much tighter, the ecosystem equally fragile, and the economy and people impacted much, much larger. This one's scary.

The Gulf of Mexico has over 3000+ drilling rigs....

User posted image

it's only a question of time till it happens again, in July 1988, 167 people died when Occidental Petroleum's Piper Alpha offshore production platform, on the Piper field in the UK sector of the North Sea exploded.

Transocean Oil-Drilling Rig

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=aJrVzEIS9Uys

Deepwater Horizon

User posted image

IPB Image

Data check:

Not sure how to interperate that, Ebden. How many millions of litres is the BP leak having? Barrels don't help my math-challenged brain.

Math isn't my strong point, either, Durka. But if I read Ebden's figures correctly, then...

Exxon total spill was 8,998,000 gallons.

BP is leaking 176,000 gallons per day.

Therefore, if the BP leak stays consistent at its current rate, it will take 51 days to leak as much as the Exxon spill did.

- JHunter

I fear this leak will be felt in the gulf for years to come.

Good luck Majestic, hope you guys can minimize the damage.

Think decades.

The salmon haven't recovered in Prince William Sound since '89 (not to mention any number of non-commercial species, general undersea flora & fauna, etc). You can still walk the beaches in that area, which look dandy and clean, and kick over a rock to find a scum of crude oil.

The worst chapter in that spill is the Exxon win (they lost, but hardly) against a long-drawn suit for damages.

It hasn't reached the Florida coast has it?

I wanted to go scalloping in the Gulf flats this summer :/

It hasn't, but it will; how much of an impact is anybody's guess. Pay attention to NOAA announcements about contamination, they're people are working closely with the industry, EPA, and FDA to make sure people don't harvest bad shellfish. (I was one of those regulators @ NOAA for a spell).

Haha the local ABC affiliate was offering free vactions to Panama Beach......... :o

Good thing will be there that the sun bathers don't have to pay for getting oiled up. :rolleyes:

Hey that could turn out to be a fun vacation! I hope the local affiliate wasn't talking about plenty of water in their advertisement!

Florida coastline is free from any oil so far. That Panama City trip would be good, but you'd still need to rent a car to get to some better beaches. PC is a great town with a great bay, but not the best beaches. Good beaches aren't that far from there though.

Florida coastline is free from any oil so far. That Panama City trip would be good, but you'd still need to rent a car to get to some better beaches. PC is a great town with a great bay, but not the best beaches. Good beaches aren't that far from there though.

When you live in the hills, beggers can't be choosers when it comes to beaches :)