Spartans Home

Working the Oil Slick - Not sure when I will be on.

I live in Florida and I know plenty of people that are freaking out down here. People are getting in as much work as possible before the oil hits.

If it gets to the 250 thing like maj said... then no more lobster fishing...no more Bradenton dives... no more pretty beaches...no more anything I do around here!!! I'm keeping a close eye on this thing.

From the looks of it, BP is going to take it up the butt for this

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a serious matter, requiring serious work to clean up and is quite frankly disastrous and BP needs to pay. ALL THAT SAID HOWEVER, I heard an Oceanographer from University of South Florida on the radio this morning and the Gulf side of Florida, below the panhandle, has a continental shelf the width of the Florida peninsula that will keep the oil out to the deep water and away from the shore along the west coast.

The bigger problem may be the Loop Current in the Gulf. If it gets caught in that (and it hasn't yet) then it could be to the straights of Florida within a week or so. If that occurs, Key West will be in greater jeopardy, but this guy said it should still miss Key West, though no guarantee. After passing through the Florida straights, then it would hit the Gulf Stream (the loop current and the Florida straights Current and the Gulf Stream are all part of the same current, but are named differently depending on geography) and be a real f*** job for the east close of Florida. The Gulf Stream comes closest to Florida at 1 mile due east of Palm Beach. If it get's to the east coast of Florida, the most damage to Florida is likely to occur there.

Therefore, it is a big potential disaster, but the experts don't think the West Coast of Florida is in jeopardy. The Panhandle Coast of Florida is in danger now, but so far, currents and winds are helping keep the spill to the west and hopefully the attempt to cap the leak will work.

Also, until a couple of days ago the US Government wasn't even following its own plan to use a Hydro-Fireboom to clean up the spill within the first day. The only Hydro-Fireboom available was delivered by the Illinois based manufacturer from their Cocoa, Florida headquarters and had to be shipped to the Gulf, not getting there until Wednesday the 28th of April. See, Hydro-Fire Boom. If it had been in place as plans called for, then it is estimated that 95% of this spill could potentially have been burned off already.

Both. BP didn't insist on a piece of equipment to be used by the contractor and the contractor didn't use it on their own. That piece of equipment is about $500,000.00 and is designed to prevent a blow-out, which is what appears to have occurred here. Other companies use that piece of safety equipment.

Both. BP didn't insist on a piece of equipment to be used by the contractor and the contractor didn't use it on their own. That piece of equipment is about $500,000.00 and is designed to prevent a blow-out, which is what appears to have occurred here. Other companies use that piece of safety equipment.

We can all see that the gov will probably (eventually, when the dust has settled) require at least an inspection of those blow-out valves on other rigs, if they haven't already.

I wonder if we can liken this ordeal to the kid who gets caught the one time without his bike helmet on "No Ma, this is my first time, I promise!"

BP hired Transocean to do a job, drill a hole with their drilling rig, do you expect BP to certify the Transocean drilling rig? and do you expect BP to enforce a procedure for drilling? Tranocean is a drilling company certified by the U.S.A. BP contracted them to do some work.

Transocean's website

http://www.deepwater.com/fw/main/Home-1.html

Transocean's Video promo (watch it)

http://www.deepwater.com/fw/main/View-Company-Video-499.html

Transocean is an Swiss reg. company (will principle offices in the US) hired by BP to drill a oil well.

http://www.deepwater.com/fw/main/Contact_Info-42.html

BP will pick up the tab as it is the company in-charge of the total operation but TransOcean (and their insurers) will be billed by BP

"The Zug-based oil drilling company Transocean said on Wednesday it faced a number of lawsuits in connection with the Gulf of Mexico oil leak."

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/news_digest/Tr...tml?cid=8826208

IPB Image

HALLI to be sued.....

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2917899720100429

The suit names as defendants BP, which holds the lease to the offshore well; Swiss-based Transocean Ltd (RIGN.S) (RIG.N), owner of the Deepwater Horizon drilling platform that exploded in flames on April 20 and collapsed two days later; and Halliburton Energy Services Inc (HAL.N), which the suit says was engaging in cementing operations of the well and well cap.

The complaint says Halliburton "improperly and negligently performed these duties, increasing the pressure at the well and contributing to the fire, explosion and resulting oil spill."

I heard that the blowout device doesn't even work at that depth, begs the question why drilling at that depth in the first place?

I heard that the blowout device doesn't even work at that depth, begs the question why drilling at that depth in the first place?

Jezus man, you know the answer to that, look in your driveway. Otherwise I'd ask why GM dropped the EV1, or why the midwest isn't riddled with Atmospheric Vortex Engines.

Edited by Ebden~SPARTA~

I'll be in Pensacola, FL in about a month, and the spill has actually impacted the Parachute Water Survival school there. I don't know if I'll be in a pool for training or if everything will be cleaned up by then.

I sure hope majestic gets his A$$ on here sometime and updates us about what is happening... Cause I would rather hear it from him than FOX news...

:rolleyes:

Read a few newspapers and blogs and other news sites so you can get a clearer picture then. I'd like to hear from Majestic as well, but highly doubt he'll be back for a while. Lots of work to do. He might send somebody an email, though.

• 2 weeks later...