Spartans Home

Announcing: Sparta Tactical Domination Nights: UPDATED

Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

It was a lot better tonight from my point of view, yes we did get bogged down a few times when we should have been moving but everyone has an off night T.

I think I have finally got to grips with ranging and marking the map, both targets I marked tonight were pretty close.

We still have a bit of a problem with people joining. Not meaning to be funny but people should know what they need to have installed by now and it delays the start when people need advice on game night.

Please get stuff sorted and tested BEFORE the event guys.

All in all a very enjoyable evening. Good job everyone involved.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was good last night.

in a good way IMO things didn't get over planned before we started, so things started more quickly than i remember from past weeks.

only downside for me personally is that the mortar really seems overkill. it just seems that you could have just have 2 ppl on blufor, one spotting and one on the tube, after 40 mins the spotter could walk into town and blow up the radio mast to finish off the mission. neither of those guys need to be within a KM of 2 of the AO either.

i don't know what the opfor commander can do to counter it? should be a counter measure for balance?

sorry i just feel bad for the opfor team who are just destined to lose the AO, it's just a matter of time :D i guess if it was fair then it would be TDM heh ;)

/edit, oh yeah i thought being on the opfor team was great :D i was going mental for 30 mins running around the edge of the AO so frustrating hearing the shooting but not able to run over :D couldn't see where my bullets hit with the SVD can anyone else? was shooting 1000m or so and saw maybe 1 in 20 bullets ricochet off a tree, but it was impossible to hit anyone.

opfor commander could see zeno back at base when he went for ammo/chopper, than a glitch?

Edited by PANiC

lol, there are probably more than a hundred AI units versus a dozen or so. They may be dumb AI but they often have a crafty leader. Plus in veteran you have to properly mark the map and call the corrections. Plus the mortar is a primary target for any roving AI aircraft. The opfor commander was not meant to change the outcome just make it more dynamic, which I think it does. But give me 2 full squads and a couple of sniper/spotters and I could probably do without the mortar.

My favourite mission would be as the assassin, whose mission is to find the opfor commander and kill him without engaging anything else (just noting positions on the way). But I would need the suppressed m110 and a lot of practice on the range with silent weapons.

i don't know what the opfor commander can do to counter it? should be a counter measure for balance?

If there was a way to indicate on the map when the mortar was deployed/fired that would mean the mortar team would have to keep moving all the time.

Maybe the mortar should only be used <500m from the edge of the AO, that way they do become susceptible to attack. Or give the OpFor Commander some artillery capability.

If there was a way to indicate on the map when the mortar was deployed/fired that would mean the mortar team would have to keep moving all the time.

Maybe the mortar should only be used <500m from the edge of the AO, that way they do become susceptible to attack. Or give the OpFor Commander some artillery capability.

I was thinking about this. On the first map I could see your mortar on the top of the hill, but had no good way to get to it. I think that I ought to be able to call my own counter battery fire down or something. I think the ideal would be if I could call arty missions myself as long as my D30s hadn't been taken out. Most of the time the opfor commanders view of the attacking forces is extremely limited, so the only way it would be effective would be if you sat still too long in a place I could see you, or if it was obvious I was taking fire from a particular location. This might also focus the mind of the overall commander to not get bogged down.

Of course, I'd have to be able to send scout units out to locate the mortar units, which would mean a slight relaxation of the AO limit rules, perhaps for the opfor non-ai scouts. What do you guys think?

Edited by Sneaky~SPARTA~

Damn, I didn't think you guys would play last night...

Guess I have to jump on tonight and see what's going on. BTW, I simply downloaded the @sparta add-on .rar and it has everything I need, highly suggested. (Sorry, don't have the link handy.) It does tell me I am missing one file, but it doesn't effect the gameplay so I'm not going to worry about it. (I am using Steam, that may be the problem.)

Damn, I didn't think you guys would play last night...

Guess I have to jump on tonight and see what's going on. BTW, I simply downloaded the @sparta add-on .rar and it has everything I need, highly suggested. (Sorry, don't have the link handy.) It does tell me I am missing one file, but it doesn't effect the gameplay so I'm not going to worry about it. (I am using Steam, that may be the problem.)

the file that you probably missing is gmj file for sight adjus ,if you need help let me know.

yestoday was my first time on tac dom and i did realy enjoy it, admitly we did spend a lot of time siting around motoring stuff but that was cool, maybe instead of using motors so hevely we could have one fixed wing with laser guided bombs and people could mark targets on the map (please dont bite my head off its only a segustion) plus could do fly bys to gather recon

just my 1 penny

Adder, many of the people here are VERY wary of airplanes, even some of the LGB-only ones. We may need to switch the name of Tactical Fridays to Squad Fridays.

We are not changing the name of anything. I would have no problem using the planes and the the choppers, However its a bit unfair on the opfor commander. Also if you use the LGB bomber to spot, it will most likely get shot down by the anti air.

So to sum up if we use the cobra, its not fair to the opfor commander, if we use the jets early on we will probably lose them. Later on, when there are less AI left, we wont need them.

See no heads bitten off, just logical arguments for not using them.

He's an idea to possibly balance the fairness of aircraft vs. the OPFOR. Give the BLUFOR a set number of attack aircraft at the beginning of the mission (I would suggest one for every AO). Change the properties of the aircraft so that the wreck cannot be repaired, thus stressing proper and limited use of the aircraft, as they are now unable to be recovered.

Only one may be used at a time, so only a single soldier will be pulled from the battle. If an attack aircraft is shot down over an AO, no more attack aircraft will be permitted to go airborne until the next AO (to give each AO one chance with an attack aircraft).

Logical counter-point! In all sense though, the Friday TacDom really is more about squad-play, so I would say apply something like this for the Sunday Dom.

I really don't see why everyone has such an itch to use airborne assets in Tac Dom night.

Go play on the damn Air Dom server if you really NEED to fly and leave us alone to play the way we want to play it.

Sorry to sound so negative but this damn argument goes around and around, dies down for a while and then up it comes again like a bad smell.

Seriously, rename it from TacDom Fridays to Squad Fridays. That's the main issue. People think that "Tactical" can include aircraft, used in a "Tactical" manner. Plus, as said in the AirDom thread, the one thing pilots want most is interaction with non-AI ground units, and where better to get that ultimate thrill (which it is for most, if not all, pilots) than TacDom Fridays?

And for those that don't know yet (or don't want to admit it), TacDom is geared towards infantry and squad maneuvers. It's not about using all the available assets, or having an A-10 to deal with the tanks you don't want to deal with. All the other servers still run while TacDom is on, so if you have issues, you can go play normally instead.

Edited by AJsarge

Seriously, rename it from TacDom Fridays to Squad Fridays. That's the main issue. People think that "Tactical" can include aircraft, used in a "Tactical" manner. Plus, as said in the AirDom thread, the one thing pilots want most is interaction with non-AI ground units, and where better to get that ultimate thrill (which it is for most, if not all, pilots) than TacDom Fridays?

And for those that don't know yet (or don't want to admit it), TacDom is geared towards infantry and squad maneuvers. It's not about using all the available assets, or having an A-10 to deal with the tanks you don't want to deal with. All the other servers still run while TacDom is on, so if you have issues, you can go play normally instead.

We are not changing the name.

We have never hidden what Tac Dom is about

Announcement!

Here are the rules:

4. Air assets are not allowed, rotary wing vehicles are ok, but pilots are only to ferry troops/vehicles back and forth. We're going to keep this a mission for grunts.

So please if you want especially to fly do NOT join our Tac Dom nights.

Personally, when ive played as the op-for commander i would have loved to have control over the red air assets. This could maybe be used to counter blue's mortars and such. Also allow the commander to control when and where the re-enforcement drops occur(i.e he sees blue moving in and re-enforces ahead of them to counter). This could potentially make the missions for Tac night more difficult and require good AA coordination on the part of Blue. This might also have the effect of requiring blue to stay more mobile and not bog down for fear of getting blown up by the op-for Mi-24 or some such.

Just suggestions btw...

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a sunday TacDom???

its the 1st time i hear of it lols

Dont think there is much need fot Air Sup but i would like to see the use of more heavy Arm. Used 3 Tusk in formation on 8th/jan to great effect. like to see that again ???

My favourite mission would be as the assassin, whose mission is to find the opfor commander and kill him without engaging anything else (just noting positions on the way). But I would need the suppressed m110 and a lot of practice on the range with silent weapons.

Zeno this is a good idea......seaside town, water insertion, sneak and destroy and escape unseen ;)

Is there a sunday TacDom???

its the 1st time i hear of it lols

Dont think there is much need fot Air Sup but i would like to see the use of more heavy Arm. Used 3 Tusk in formation on 8th/jan to great effect. like to see that again ???

TacDom is available 24/7, its passworded just ask most regulars have password but seem to prefer US public server if you are in TS and join the TacDom server you will get company :D

• 2 weeks later...