Spartans Home

COD MW2 (NO DEDICATED SERVER EVER) P2P only !

NoScream~SPARTA~

Honestly they should just do away with the notion of "consoles" entirely. Things have changed since the days of old.

Consoles, for all intents and purposes, are computers. You can just as easily check your mail, surf the web, play games, etc. on a console as you can on a PC. Hell, if I was so inclined, I could plug in a USB k/b and mouse into my PS3 and boot up Linux and it wouldn't be any different than me running Linux on my PC. The only drawbacks are manufacturer limitations. If manufacturers get their heads out of their ass and stop limiting components for sake of monetary gain, consoles will flourish even more than they are already. For instance, Sony disables 3D hardware acceleration for any non-PS3 O/S, but allows you to install Linux. So while you can use the CPU for number crunching, you can't make games. At least, not without paying thousand and thousands of dollars for a developer's license...

I would personally love to see console manufacturers stop producing proprietary crap, and start introducing industry standards that mesh well with current PC development. For instance, I would love if I could develop a game for Linux and it would run on PS3. Then I could write a game for both general computers and a specialized computer (PS3) with little effort managing the differences. Microsoft is doing this...somewhat...with XNA. But again, it's proprietary. It's great if I want to release my game on Windows and Xbox, but not if I want to support PS3, Wii, Linux, or (dare I say) Mac OSX.

Console makers just need to support the major operating systems. That's all it'll take. I'm sure Xbox will one day be able to run Windows (if it can't already?), and it's sleek gaming interface will just be a Windows program. Sony is already on the right path. Nintendo is the only developer I could see having trouble with this, as their tech is highly customized for certain tasks.

But anyway, PC gaming won't die. The computers may have a variety of new names, with fancy and sleek designs, but they're still PCs, no matter how much the manufacturers try to limit their capabilities. Essentially, the console and PC markets will, in time, merge entirely. Whether you are gaming on a custom built gaming rig running Windows or on Xbox720 running Windows won't really matter. The choice will no longer be developing for PC or consoles. The choice will be developing for Windows or Linux.

Meanwhile Apple will continue to produce Macs for them "artsy" types.

This is of course assuming the console makers can make strides to further the industry, instead of trying to make more and more money. This is Microsoft we're talking about, after all--so don't count on it.

P.S.- Sorry to derail topic even more.

P.S.S.-I'm bored as hell.

Edit: I'll add a sentence or two to get back on topic.

This no dedicated server crap is asinine. I'll most likely just download the game, beat the campaign in a day, then delete it entirely.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the world coming to.

It is clear there has been a paradigm shift in online gaming to the detriment of the community.

We can only hope that the other games we are waiting for are not similarly affected, but we should expect the worst.

I wonder if the community as a whole has the resources to create a game and go its own way (probably fantasizing)

Try www.blackfootstudios.com they are trying to build a GR worthy game but cannot find a publisher that wants to invest. All it takes are say 10.000 game enthusiasts to pay 30$ and you'll see.....

Maybe we should ask Jstonedecker to advertise a bit around this hype and see if people are willing to fund his game....

the economic crysis has seen millions of people lose more than 30$ so why not....

Ground Branch is, in realistic terms, dead in the water. The lead dev has taken work in another studio and only works on GB in his spare time, if I recall correctly. The staffers are leaving/left to take on real jobs because they couldn't find money to make the studio work.

Don't except GB in the next 4-5 years if you ask me.

The petition is up at 72,000 - that is a lot of missed revenue if everyone who says they aren't going to purchase, doesn't.

I am watching with baited breath to see if the power of population can change the minds of the board-room, their own forums stack an incredible number of flames and boasts it's own petition of 34,000 players, some of whom represent sizeable clans.

no dedi server - no mods - no choosing which maps to rotate - no thank you

They will not change it ! 100% guaranteed, why? because they've invested a bucket full of money into IWnet....... thier little baby that will go online on 10th Nov (infact it's up now).

MW2 direction is good for other titles wanting a part of the COD community pennies.

Can anyone put a finger on what's changed in the past 5yrs to make the PC gaming industry put out unfinished games, difficult to mod games, games that disregard community wishes, ect ect? And another thing, what was the last game you bought that had an expansion pack? Remember those? The only game I see with expansion packs now are the SIMS games, and there's about 50 of those at $20 a pop. Crazy.

I would say it's the porting over of games as the console market has paid 75% of the revenue of a game so inturn the focus has been on the demanding market share of which they would be fools to not focus on.

Think about the CoDMW they came out with map packs that the console users HAD to purchase but did not have a way

to make the pc Multiplayer pay for those, So if the petition is at 122000 and that would not even be close to how many

PC players bought the game and downloaded the map pack lets say 500000 at $10.00 that's 5 million of lost revenue that they could have gained so Now they are working a way to get those lost sales.

They do not make this game for fun but 100% profit and are looking for ways to gain sales.

The thing they seem to be missing is that if they did produce a game like CodMW which was a winner for the run and gun crowd, all they needed to do was add some new maps, new weapons, new acheivements and improve the hardcore mode, say slow it right down then maybe release a co-op mode and bingo they have the whole of the Gaming market, surley someone realizes that by making a game that we want will benifit them in the long term, i mean look at OPFP2 if they had released server files and spent a more time on MP then they would of had a decent game, they could of then built on that with an expansion and extra things.

I just dont get them??

Edited by TuGJJUK

I just dont get them??

My theory is this: In this day and age, hype means soooo much more than substance. It seems like companies probably have marketing budgets equal to/greater than the actual overhead for the game. It seems like it's all about the pre-order, and I think the concept of pre-ordering games is a big part of what's killing the industry.

I cancelled my pre-order from Amazon yesterday. I'd still like to play the SP but I am happy to wait for the prices to hit basement level (as they soon will without a decent MP infrastructure)

I haven't really gotten into ARMA2 for various reasons, mostly as I like to play in smaller chunks of time than that game demands, so I was really looking forward to MW2. Looks like I'll be sticking with COD4 for a while yet.

Totally stupid, utter failure, this game will go down faster than what Wolfenstein did.

IF anyone is interested you can freely express your opinion here...

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?dedis4mw

Seriously though, i just wonder if these guys running IW were ever online gamers to begin with :star-wars:

:-)

Edited by xere

• 2 weeks later...
i guess we can expect a large portion of pc community to drop this off there want list. WHY IW why did you have to throw the pc comm out the window!!! also charging $60 for it WTF is that all about.

I thought it was cheaper than that. Seriously? I'm really surprised by this one, since I thought they did really well with COD4. Strange...

This is cut from the official site.......

Source: Modern Warfare 2 on PC

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is actually the biggest investment Infinity Ward has ever made into the PC version of our games. It?s also the most feature-rich PC version we?ve ever made. IWNET takes the benefits of dedicated servers and allows them to be utilized and accessed by every player, out of the box, while removing the barrier to entry for players unaware of how to maintain a server on their own.

How does it do this?

Matchmaking & Smoother Gameplay: When you want to player a multiplayer game on PC, in the past. You?d have to scroll through a Server Browser which listed every available server which was hosted by individual server admins. Each had their own private rules, mods, or ways of playing the game. Most players would also use the server browser to find just the best quality game (based on PING). With IWNET matchmaking, it takes all that into account for you. All you have to do is select the playlist (pre-set gametypes with custom rules) that fits the style of play you are in the mood for. When you do, it will automatically find you a game with the best performance, ping, and preferences based on your location and individual connection as well as matching you with players of your same SKILL. So you?re always guaranteed the best game performance for where you are and what connection you?re playing on as well as an equal game with other players of your same skill level, not rank, but skill level. It doesn?t mean you?ll just be thrown into a random game! It will put you in the game that will give you the smoothest gameplay possible without you having to manually find a server with the best ping.

Playlists and Private Matches: As I described above, Playlists are pre-set game modes and gametypes for public games. If you just want to jump into a public game of Search and Destroy or Hardcore Search and Destroy and you don?t care about fully customizing it, then you can utilize playlists to do that quickly for you. However, say you?re in a clan and you want to play a Clan match with another team, or you want to practice for an upcoming tournament that has specific rules in a private game. Then you can start a Private Match (which is essentially like running your own private server) where you have complete control over the rules, who can join, boot players you don?t want, and essentially control the entire game or tweak it to your liking. Once the rules are set, you can invite the other team in or just start it up with your clan to practice with the custom rules before the match. This now allows you to play custom games out of the box without the need to install mods, find a modded server with the rules you like, or worry about not being in control of the match.

Party System and Friendslist: Modern Warfare 2 on PC also makes it much easier if you want to party up with your friends, or again, with your clan for a match. You can utilize the friendslist to see when your friends are online, and invite them to your Party. A Party allows you to move from game to game as a group. It?s great for clan matches, because you can party of with your clan and move from public game to public game together. Or if you?re doing a scrim, party up and invite the other clan (who is in a party) and they?ll all join at once. Set up a private match together and play. It makes setting up scrims or games with friends easier and hassle free.

Cheat / Hack Free Games: The biggest benefit of using IWnet by far is the fact that you don?t have to worry about joining a server full of aim-bots, wallhacks, or cheaters. Or relying on the server admin of the server to constantly be monitoring, banning, and policing it. Modern Warfare 2 on PC allows us to control the quality of the game much more than ever before as well as utilizing the VAC (Valve-Anti-Cheat) system to keep games clean of hackers and cheaters.

All in all, IWNET adds a load of new features that the PC version of our games have never had before and allows us an infrastructure to continue to update and improve on the game post-launch.

They totally missed the point in that article. Here's a link from an NVIDIA interview, late 08. Not good news, however optimistic that guy sounds.

No future for PC-exclusive games, says Nvidia

Nvidia's VP of content business development, Roy Taylor, has said he believes the value of consoles means "no-one is going to make PC-exclusive games in the future".

Speaking exclusively to Eurogamer, he said he wasn't threatened by the machines from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo; instead he sees an "exciting future" of co-existence.

"I think we have to face the facts - the value of consoles is such that no-one is going to make a PC-exclusive game in the future. Why would they? Why would they ignore consoles?" said Taylor.

"That said, PC gaming is changing - and consoles don't threaten PC gaming. They're just different. Adapting to that and understanding that is what I think is really, really important.

"Most PC gamers also own consoles - not all of them, but a lot of them. What we're seeing happen is that, yes, people are developing for Xbox 360, for PS3 - but they're also developing for PC," he added.

The reason Taylor is excited is that PC versions of games, which he says are generally "better", use console code as a baseline, and the better the baseline then the better the desktop conversion.

"The console is now a baseline. If you look at Gears of War or Assassin's Creed, they came out on console and they were great experiences - but the PC versions had additional aspects to them that also made them attractive, whether you owned the console version or not," continued Taylor.

"The PC version was better. That's something that people need to get their heads around - the console is a baseline, the PC is going to be an improved version. That's an exciting future, and that's why I don't see anything threatening about console at all.

Read Eurogamer's interview with Nvidia's VP of content business development, Roy Taylor to see what he has to say about the future of graphics, why integrated solutions are ruining everything, and how the PC installed-base means it will never disappear as a gaming platform.

They totally missed the point in that article. Here's a link from an NVIDIA interview, late 08. Not good news, however optimistic that guy sounds.

No future for PC-exclusive games, says Nvidia

Nvidia's VP of content business development, Roy Taylor, has said he believes the value of consoles means "no-one is going to make PC-exclusive games in the future".

Speaking exclusively to Eurogamer, he said he wasn't threatened by the machines from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo; instead he sees an "exciting future" of co-existence.

"I think we have to face the facts - the value of consoles is such that no-one is going to make a PC-exclusive game in the future. Why would they? Why would they ignore consoles?" said Taylor.

"That said, PC gaming is changing - and consoles don't threaten PC gaming. They're just different. Adapting to that and understanding that is what I think is really, really important.

"Most PC gamers also own consoles - not all of them, but a lot of them. What we're seeing happen is that, yes, people are developing for Xbox 360, for PS3 - but they're also developing for PC," he added.

The reason Taylor is excited is that PC versions of games, which he says are generally "better", use console code as a baseline, and the better the baseline then the better the desktop conversion.

"The console is now a baseline. If you look at Gears of War or Assassin's Creed, they came out on console and they were great experiences - but the PC versions had additional aspects to them that also made them attractive, whether you owned the console version or not," continued Taylor.

"The PC version was better. That's something that people need to get their heads around - the console is a baseline, the PC is going to be an improved version. That's an exciting future, and that's why I don't see anything threatening about console at all.

Read Eurogamer's interview with Nvidia's VP of content business development, Roy Taylor to see what he has to say about the future of graphics, why integrated solutions are ruining everything, and how the PC installed-base means it will never disappear as a gaming platform.

This coming from a guy whom works for nVidia which has a contract with M$ XBOX for video cards...

Who's hand is in his pocket??

What he fails to mention is that consoles have key limitations to which modern PCs do not. When you design a game on this new 'baseline' on a console, you have directly impacted and limited the abilities on a larger system with far more capabilities.

Just because it is easier to crate games for a standardized platform, doesn't necessarily make it a better choice to do so.

chatlog with IW staff http://www.fpsadmin.com/forum/showthread.p...ted=1#post78352

hmpf it just gets worse for PC. this is my favourite

02:54 Moriarte

Ignoring IW.net, is the PC version a direct port of the console version?

02:55 Mackey-IW

No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.

lol!

other rubbish:

02:56 LaGgY_42o

What kinds of pings did you get during your IWNet testing and what do you say is an acceptable ping?

02:56 Mackey-IW

I've been playing mainly with around 100ms ping and it was great.

01:13 mon3ymak3r4812

can u get support powers after 25 killstreak?

01:13 Mackey-IW: To mon3ymak3r4812

Mon3ymak3r4812: After you use the 25 kill streak, the game ends.

01:32 Josh111

PC Question... What will the max amount of players per map be for PC multiplayer on IW.net

01:32 Vince-IW

9v9

02:03 TheNinthAxis

Is there lean in PC multiplayer.

02:03 Vince-IW

No.

read the rest yourself

@TP( toilet paper :D :P ) I'll play cod 5 with you if you feel left out.

this ones my fing favorite

01:53 maniac1969

How are PC gaming clans going to uphold their clan rules in the IW-net system? Are you going to give admin rights to gaming rooms so that admins can Kick or Ban players who refuse to follow clan rules? For example, {MRoA} servers prohibit racial comments from guest and/or clan members...

01:55 Mackey-IW

In response to the PC clan question: Private matches are a way for players to easily play with their friends and apply whatever House Rules they want. You can not kick players from Ranked matches. If language is a problem you can easily mute players.

Edited by Haloelite~SPARTA~

Here's a classy line

02:26 frzg

Was the decision to create IWNet for PC a profit based decision or a 'genuine improvement of the game'?

02:26 Vince-IW

To improve the game, it actually cost us money to develop it so the there isn't a profit motive.

Business without profit is called and NGO. IW must have some hardcore philantrophists on their marketing team.

Thank goodness I was never sucked into COD4, so I can't really share the dissapointment. (my counter-anti-pc anger went toward EA and dice for delaying PC-1943 and BC2, and pandering BFheroes instead).

From their perspective though, what do they care about alienating the PC market?

Another snippet:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6232123.html

Infinity Ward's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will be available for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC on November 10, and according to Activision, as of August the game was already the most preordered title in the publisher's history.
(emphasis added)

I found the following table in Activision-Blizzard's quarterly rep from Aug 7 this year (10-Q) 'PC and other' games make up between not-quite-4 to not-quite-5% of the overall revenue for the company (MMORPGs aside), where console games earlier this year brought in about more than HALF the revenue. The table below is in millions, so add six zeros to the end of each number on the table.

post-516-1257338404_thumb.jpg

No wonder PC gamers get the shaft, our $ doesn't buy squat compared to the rest of Activision's market. If they dropped the entire product makeup of the 'PC and other' category, the investor's report would only show a minor blip in returns. It's all about perspective. I'm suprised, given those figures, that they even bothered to port the game to PC, unless all it took was a weekend's programming and an additional day on the production line to spit out the dvd's at minimal cost.