Spartans Home

The better headset?

Is there a significant advantage for a usb headset over a standard co-axial jack headset??

I am getting ready to replace my current plantronics headset and have noticed that the majority are now usb but some good deals on the old jack style.

Thank-you in advance for your input

USB with my mic actually gives me grief from time to time, I would stick with co-axial as USB doesn't have an advantage I can see.

They are a lot of money but the Speedlink Medusa 5.1 set a lot of us use is very good. With a game like GRAW that had very good sound you could pick up directional sound easily.

Honestly, I like a nice pair of over-the-ears studio headphones. I use a pair of Sony's that I got a good deal on. They are regular stereo jack. I do however need a new desktop mic and I may go by the store to get one tonight if they have any good ones.

Best Headset ever...

IPB Image

But seriously, here's a decent headset that doesn't cost a lot of money that is USB. I use it and it seems fine for my needs.

I've used both types of connectors and it seems that the higher-end headsets all use USB. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the surround sound issues. Other things to consider would be what side of your head the wire is on, as well as the mic.

I used to use a set of Medusa 5.1 that ran off USB. Had no end of isues with TeamSpeak.

Bought a set of Medusa 5.1 with standard jacks from Ebay....issues went away.

My advice, stay clear of USB if you going for 5.1, ordinary USB headsets seem fine...

Standard Jacks it is... Durka I really really need that one you have, where did you get it ;)

Ahh, any college fan store will have one, if it's not a Christian school :) This one uses the standard left/right beer can jacks that fit into your mouth. If you really want to go classy, you will get the permanent jack attachment that allows you true hands-free operation.

There's a fundamental problem using USB headsets. Unfortunately I cannot recall the exact issue, so I'm not being much help, but I had to stop using my USB set and use the standard jack headset a while back.

It'll come to me.....

Oh yeh, that was it, a USB headset will bypass your soundcard!

Here's the comments I sent a supplier after testing a set of USBs.

The problem, is that the hard core gamer is desuaded from a USB headset knowing that it will bypass his purposely installed soundcard. The only reason a gamer installs a soundcard apart from movies, is to play games, so I can see their point of view and reluctance to effectively make their investment in a soundcard redundant.
Edited by Rocky

Do you really rely on in-game sound that much, Rocky? I'm somewhat surprised, I must say! I can see how directional cues are important, but most basic headsets will handle that easily.

What would you say is the important part of high quality sound for your gameplay?

I just switched from my 4 year faithfull service Creative HS 600 to the crative HS fatality which sounds different (as far as I have experienced yet 5 min...) but a very good mic so now you can hear me man again when I get shot....lol

oh and yes I don't wanna use usb as I have a soundblaster that I also use for recording my old LP records (my parents 60's and 70's music)

Edited by Forrester

can't really say having aUSB headset is a problem because it bypasses the sound card, that's it's whole purpose.

you simply would not buy a USB headset if you wanted to use your sound card as the output.

however as i said earlier, i found the sound quality comming from the usb sound card much better than some onboard sound devices (realtec HD audio on Ausus and DFi boards) and great for laptops and pcs like dell's or hp's.

There the ones Me & Floyd use. Out of about 5 different headsets, they've been the best ones I've had.

I too use Medusa 5.1 Gamer Pro set, the most important thing is the sound field definition and Medusa does a good job, std 3.5 jacks to the sound card. I bought a Razor card a while back but could not get use to it, headband was not comfortable.

I would look and see if the market has made any new sets.

I had a Cyborg 5.1 Headset (PC) utter crap, plastic fantastic & USB, sound field was poor.

also a copy of the Medusa USB CyberSnipa Sonar 5.1 Headset

not recommended

This is fairly new on the game scene

Logitech G35 7.1 Surround Sound Headset (981-000117)

- 7.1 surround sound powered by Dolby technology delivers a detailed soundfield - hear your enemies before they see you.

- Three swappable headband pads let you choose the best fit, for long-lasting comfort.

- Three customizable G keys give you one-touch command over music, voice morphing, and more.

- On-ear audio controls provide quick access to volume, microphone mute, and surround sound adjustments.

- Adjustable, noise-canceling microphone focuses on your voice and reduces background noise.

£81

ITEM

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....&subcat=692

Manu: website

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/p...95&cl=us,en

REVIEWS: USB !!

There the ones Me & Floyd use. Out of about 5 different headsets, they've been the best ones I've had.

Sounds good to me, checked a youtube review, looks good - removable mic? I like that idea.

Ordered from Amazon. :D

Okay I got my headset today but now I am confused about the connections.

With my medusa 5.1 set there was a breakout box, so the wires from the 5.1 speakers went into the breakoutbox, then out again into the back of the soundcard, plus a cable to the headset.

Now without that, my speakers are plugged Green/Black/Yellow into the rear of the soundcard, so where do I put the green headset cable? Right now it's looking like I have to choose whether to have the headset OR the speakers plugged in, can't I have both anymore?

How do you guys/gals have your headsets wired up?

You need a switch box or choose at startup which you want speakers or headset. Do you not still have the Medusa switchbox?