Spartans Home

Admin support needed pretty please

Gunthar~SPARTA~

I don't know if anyone has noticed but the ACE server has been active lately with newcomers to Arma 2 and to our community. In keeping the activity high I was hoping to enlist the help of the server admins for the ACE server in correcting some issues that are limiting the overall experience for those new comers and us old timers.

1. Dispersion mod is spotty or blatantly not working on any of the ACE dom maps. Every so often I can duck around a corner or manage to hit the deck when being engaged but 90% of the time its one round to the brain pan for me and many of the other players. It seems that either the new dom or the latest ACE version has nullified the dispersion mod we have been using for ages. I was hoping that someone could look into using one of the new versions to attempt to lengthen firefights a little. Possibly we might be able to us a complete overhaul of the AI that some servers are using but I am not sure if this will cause issue dom.

2. AO's seem to have less infantry in them now, I am not sure if this is a result of the changes to Dom or is a setting that can be modified but if you move in and pop the tower without alerting the AO then it gets so easy for 3 or more people to wipe an AO.

3. Maps: I know it is a massive pain in Zeno's backside to port dom to other maps but we can only conquer Taki so often before we want to para drop with a sack of rocks. If I may make a suggestion, in so far as the maps that would be popular, Lingor, Dingor, Fallujah, Duala. These maps have been favorites of our community with the exception of Dingor which is a desert version of Lingor. There are new versions of these maps out now which improve performance to reduce the sheer amount of lag. I will provide links for you once I get home so you don't have to search. I will also see if there are any new maps which could provide some variety to our insanity.

4. Since the majority of the admin's that have access to the servers are either not playing ARMA or rarely do could we have one of the moderators who are playing often gain access to the ability to handle Arma servers to ensure people who are not enjoying ARMA do not have to deal with all of our evil demands :).

5. Someone for the love of god teach me how to mod the dom files so I can do this all myself and stop bugging you guys. I know it?s a script side modification I just need a walk through once and I should be able to pick it all up and do it instead of pestering others.

5. Someone for the love of god teach me how to mod the dom files so I can do this all myself and stop bugging you guys. I know it?s a script side modification I just need a walk through once and I should be able to pick it all up and do it instead of pestering others.

What is it you're struggling with, exactly? I don't have any of the BIS tool installed on my laptop here, but if you post up some code or decompressed files and point out what you're having trouble with understanding, I'll do my best to translate the code for you.

- JHunter

I don't know if anyone has noticed but the ACE server has been active lately with newcomers to Arma 2 and to our community. In keeping the activity high I was hoping to enlist the help of the server admins for the ACE server in correcting some issues that are limiting the overall experience for those new comers and us old timers.

1. Dispersion mod is spotty or blatantly not working on any of the ACE dom maps. Every so often I can duck around a corner or manage to hit the deck when being engaged but 90% of the time its one round to the brain pan for me and many of the other players. It seems that either the new dom or the latest ACE version has nullified the dispersion mod we have been using for ages. I was hoping that someone could look into using one of the new versions to attempt to lengthen firefights a little. Possibly we might be able to us a complete overhaul of the AI that some servers are using but I am not sure if this will cause issue dom.

2. AO's seem to have less infantry in them now, I am not sure if this is a result of the changes to Dom or is a setting that can be modified but if you move in and pop the tower without alerting the AO then it gets so easy for 3 or more people to wipe an AO.

3. Maps: I know it is a massive pain in Zeno's backside to port dom to other maps but we can only conquer Taki so often before we want to para drop with a sack of rocks. If I may make a suggestion, in so far as the maps that would be popular, Lingor, Dingor, Fallujah, Duala. These maps have been favorites of our community with the exception of Dingor which is a desert version of Lingor. There are new versions of these maps out now which improve performance to reduce the sheer amount of lag. I will provide links for you once I get home so you don't have to search. I will also see if there are any new maps which could provide some variety to our insanity.

4. Since the majority of the admin's that have access to the servers are either not playing ARMA or rarely do could we have one of the moderators who are playing often gain access to the ability to handle Arma servers to ensure people who are not enjoying ARMA do not have to deal with all of our evil demands :).

I am Super Jedi and I approve this message. :star-wars:

We've been batting ideas around like this for a bit. I think it was summed up nicely and you even added a few things I never thought of. Here's to hoping we can get some fresh ACE out there.

Panthera is awesome but,i think it was me and Hajimoto found out that it was Chernarus x2 when it comes to ai shooting you through the trees etc, but it is a good looking map and can be lots of fun if you get over the usual bs ai.

Panthera is awesome but,i think it was me and Hajimoto found out that it was Chernarus x2 when it comes to ai shooting you through the trees etc, but it is a good looking map and can be lots of fun if you get over the usual bs ai.

wooop woop panther rrrrrr

5. Someone for the love of god teach me how to mod the dom files so I can do this all myself and stop bugging you guys. I know it's a script side modification I just need a walk through once and I should be able to pick it all up and do it instead of pestering others.

1 I played with Jeff and co just after they complained about the dispersion mod, it worked fine in hours of play I was rarely taken out with one shot.

2 In the past we always added infantry to the stock version, in the latest iteration I did not., but it can be done

3 I find this confusing there are dom missions for almost every map on the server, the only thing they do not have is version 2.6x, I think they are all 2.57

4 I do enjoy arma and have never stopped supporting it, Jeff usually sends me a pm and I sort it out and if I cant I get help from someone who can.

5 Honestly the best thing to do is open the mission and start ferreting around. Once you look at it for a while you will quickly get a sense of where everything is. Whilst there are hundred of files and folders, most things can be dealt with in less than 10.

1 I played with Jeff and co just after they complained about the dispersion mod, it worked fine in hours of play I was rarely taken out with one shot.

2 In the past we always added infantry to the stock version, in the latest iteration I did not., but it can be done

3 I find this confusing there are dom missions for almost every map on the server, the only thing they do not have is version 2.6x, I think they are all 2.57

4 I do enjoy arma and have never stopped supporting it, Jeff usually sends me a pm and I sort it out and if I cant I get help from someone who can.

5 Honestly the best thing to do is open the mission and start ferreting around. Once you look at it for a while you will quickly get a sense of where everything is. Whilst there are hundred of files and folders, most things can be dealt with in less than 10.

1. I am not sure what the issue is then because there are times where we get into a firefight and actually survive and then there are maps where you hear two shots and you?re dead from across the AO. I am not sure if it is a peculiar thing in relation to individual units such as the FN FAL guys almost routinely capping people at 1000m in one or two shots while the PKM soldiers can either fire two rounds or fire a belt to kill you, it?s completely random in terms of which map and which version your playing. I know there have been a few AI upgrade modifications that have come out recently I was just wondering if it would be possible to try some of these out and see if they can solve the issue. Like I said there are nights where I get into good firefights like last night but this is mostly on the older DOM maps while the newer versions are just killing us right and left constantly with one or two shots.

2. The addition of infantry would defiantly make life more interesting, thank you sir.

3. I thought the Dom versions for Lingor ,Cherno, and Duala were much older than 2.57, maybe I missed the update post. I have played 2.6 and the concept is awesome however it has been hindered by the issue in #1 where you catching two and three rounds then dying before you can return fire. That one seems to be the one almost no one plays so if all the other dom?s are 2.57 then we are golden I just was not aware they had all been upgraded.

4. Trust me Zeno I am not directing anything toward you I know that 99% of the time you?re the one carrying the load on keeping the ACE server moving I just don?t want you to be the only person available to take care of issues as they pop up, that way you can enjoy Arma as a player not a problem solver. I just think with Arma 3 coming soon we should get more people involved so that we have coverage across all time zones to handle issues as they arise and not burden one or two individuals with all the work.

5. My main issue is the placement of the AO?s and side missions I don?t understand if it is a simple marker script to move the marker and determine where the AO?s are placed or if it is a grid location or what. If its something similar to the mission objective marker system that denotes the location of a mission objective during coop missions then I am familiar with it however I have not dealt with dom. I will break it down this week and take a look at it.

Loves you long time!

This may take some time.

1. Please get J hunter the info he asked for and post it up.

2. Hunter is in the sandbox but may be able to guide you.

3. we will get back to you on this.

I understand the code I just was not sure how you go about porting Dom to other maps in terms of side mission and AO location movements.

I understand the code I just was not sure how you go about porting Dom to other maps in terms of side mission and AO location movements.

Map reference in mission.sqm, the static objects in the mission.sqm, the coordinates of the side missions and AO, coordinate of side mission bonus spawn in i_server.sqf, the center marker for map in x_setupserver.sqf, and you have to also double check all of the unit and vehicle types called out are supported by the map or Arma of version required to play.

It's been awhile and I don't have the greatest memory, but I am fairly certain that Zeno and I modified the Dom files so it will all run off of map markers for AO locations, side mission locations, base defense locations, all that good stuff.

I don't have a clue what Domination version that we did that for, perhaps Zeno could tell you and point you in the right direction for a pbo with our work in it. If it was for an older version of Domination, I would say just take a look at the changes we made and then port that over to the new version. It takes a little bit of time to get the code changed to look for markers instead of coordinates, but if you're going to port to more than one map, its definitely worth it.

- JHunter

It's been awhile and I don't have the greatest memory, but I am fairly certain that Zeno and I modified the Dom files so it will all run off of map markers for AO locations, side mission locations, base defense locations, all that good stuff.

I don't have a clue what Domination version that we did that for, perhaps Zeno could tell you and point you in the right direction for a pbo with our work in it. If it was for an older version of Domination, I would say just take a look at the changes we made and then port that over to the new version. It takes a little bit of time to get the code changed to look for markers instead of coordinates, but if you're going to port to more than one map, its definitely worth it.

- JHunter

I remember one of you two mentioning that at one point that was why I was asking because at one point it was a script change when you changed maps but I had thought someone had solved it.

Also if anyone has experience porting Insurgency to different maps hit me up because I had an idea but have never done that port before.

I believe the "One Shot" death is coming from the AI skill. If set at 0.3, they have a high chance of killing you within the first 10 shots. While at 0.1, they are just shooting in your general direction.

Haven't tried 0.2...

Gunthar

You can change the number of ai

look for i_server.sqf in the root of the mission, drop down to line 609 onwards and you will see where to change the range of infantry. There are 3 cases (allowing the user to change the amount of armour), so make sure you change them all. Also remember they are squads not individuals.

Dont add too many as this will lag the server.

J is right on all the maps we worked on J used markers for the AO so porting our missions to other islands is not too difficult.

I am entertaining at the moment so cant help.

Played on the vanilla dom server last night & it was insane.

As i was on my own I had to think as tactical as possible, choosing an arty role to give me support.

I approached the AO and keeping out of sight I softened the target, taking out 2 light vehicles and around a dozen infantry.

I figured my best approach to the radio mast was from the west but the road was under regular shilka / T34 patrol. So I snuck down, planted mines and took myself back up the hill, under cover around 80m from the road. First mine takes out an M113 then bullets rain down on me from everywhere.

I don't remember dom being this impossible.

I played on my own on the ace server and killed 40 infantry with the m110 for no loss of life. I moved around a lot. I just havent experienced the constant headshot others have mentioned. The AI are better at flanking than before.

Which version were you playing?