Spartans Home

Go Bags, Face eating and Silo Homes

We live in weird times, when a bunch of you guys started talking about go bags I thought you were a bunch of Burt Gummers. But lately I have been reading of bizarre activities which have given me pause for thought. Then I read this about some dude trying to eat the face of another guy in Miami and luxury homes being built in old missile silos and now I am not so sure that I shouldnt sort out a go bag and other contingency plans. Oh dear!!

According to the link he did more than try to eat it....scary stuff.

But you know how it is,other than Austrians and Belgians abducting kids and keeping them in the basement,German cannibals..Rostov stranglers....stuff like this really only happens in the US......so uhm...a "go bag" huh?....

Those old silo's are awesome btw!

Regardless of any kind of apocalypse, it'd be fucking sweet to own one of those Silo Mansions. One of em even has its own damn airstrip (and an underground swimming pool!). And they are actually not that expensive, all things considered.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

There are even more affordable options in Western Nebraska and some group housing options too.

All I need to complete my lair is around 100 Alice clones. Now taking applications! :ogle: :hi_sexy: (someone had to use this one)

resident-evil-9.jpg

Edited by AlarmedBread

Hey that is two of us in Nebraska already...

Do I hear a SPARTA retreat in the future? Underground Silo, Armed Buggies?

In all seriousness if the apocolypse were to begin I think being surrounded by SPARTA members would be the best possible outcome.

I did just get a new Bug Out Bag (BOB) yesterday. (Bag)

e693c68c27.jpg

Will post pic's soon. It doubles for hiking/backpacking. I used to have a MOLLE pack, but the woodland camo shouts that I have stuff worth taking.

Edited by Phisher~SPARTA~

You know, Zeno, I was about to come on here and ask you and the other Europeans what you thought about the situation in Greece/Spain/Europe in general. Here, half the people ignore it, a quarter are screaming that things are gonna get bad, and another quarter are wishing for Greece to fall into anarchy.

Knowing the history of Europe, I would think it mandatory to have some sort of plan to get out of Dodge. And Burt Gummer was a great man. :gun:

EDIT, not seeing what you thought, but what others are hearing, or what's being said on the news.

Edited by Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

Regardless of any kind of apocalypse, it'd be fucking sweet to own one of those Silo Mansions. One of em even has its own damn airstrip (and an underground swimming pool!). And they are actually not that expensive, all things considered.

That's the silo home in upper New York Adirondack I think, and its been for sale for yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears. Yep, priced down!

The House Advertisement

Love the countertops..

whats the lesson here..

Stay away from drugS (that originaly NOT come out of ya back yard .. get it)

weird story glad i did not see this ..

(but if you ROACH buy the condo i am inn )

Edited by EBE

That's the silo home in upper New York Adirondack I think, and its been for sale for yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears. Yep, priced down!

The House Advertisement

Love the countertops..

Hell yeah, who wouldn't wanna live in a place like that?

No one. That's who.

You could become a damn super-villain with a place like that.

The Euro problem is complex and the following is a gross simplification. News today is poorly disseminated, so even if this is over simplified its probably clearer than what you might see on TV

In 2008/2009 I thought we were on the brink of economic collapse, but governments acted quickly to shore up their banks. The cost of this was vast amounts of national debt. As a result the problem transferred from the banks to the countries themselves. In those bleak months I thought there would have to be a paradigm shift away from all the economic models we have tried so far. Such a revolution seems unlikely now, having said that the problem is worse today than it was then, almost every western power is indebted up to its eyeballs so there is no more wriggle room.

Soon Greece will rerun their elections, if they vote for the extreme left guy he may prompt Greece to default on its debt, possibly withdraw from the Euro and reintroduce the Drachma. If they do that Greece will withdraw in to the dark ages for a long time, I am not sure how this will work out for the average Greek person.

Take a look at this interactive chart

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-15748696

Greece owes €41.4 bn to France (its biggest lender) and €15.9 bn to Germany. If Greece defaults it will hurt France but nothing more. The problem is that greece is not alone, there are the famous PIIGS (Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain). If Greece goes down market forces will put pressure on Ireland and Portugal, the next 2 weakest countries, Ireland owes €104.5 bn to the UK, not to mention €39.8bn to the US. Although Britain is not in the Euro it is heavily indebted and its fortunes are to a large extent tied to the eurozone. Using this chart you can see the extent to which all our fortunes are tied to each other and although Greece is like a butterfly fart globally, the impact could be far reaching.

But believe me no country is beyond the reach of the potential economic Tsunami.

That is a bleak picture, and a few years ago I believed there was no escaping this outcome. Today I am not so sure. Greece will either fold and exit the Euro or stick with the tough austerity program they agreed to. If they fold they will no longer be a consideration and the rest of europe will shore up and devise a solution, the easiest solution is the issuance of Eurobonds issued by the ECB which would be the joint and several obligation of every country in the euro, if countries can embrace some fiscal responsibility and Germany can be convinced to accept this, the Euro may survive. If not there may be another solution.

Another problem is confidence in the financial sector, again this is a global phenomenon. A while back I was chatting with a private banker in Switzerland charged with safely investing peoples money, I asked him where in the world could he invest and be safe from the aforementioned shit storm, the answer was nowhere.

In the past, war regulated the various economic pressures, but the only real potential for war on a massive scale is in the south china seas over some contested islands. I dont see a potential for that in europe. Having said that Spain wants Gibraltar back, so if they are desperate enough they could invade, I just dont see it though.

I have painted a terrible economic picture, but the one thing I know is that the worlds economists understand the dire straits we are in and will most likely devise a solution.

My solution is to look on the bright side, diversify and like our plumed friends, bury my noggin in the sand and not think about this anymore.

The Euro problem is complex and the following is a gross simplification. News today is poorly disseminated, so even if this is over simplified its probably clearer than what you might see on TV

In 2008/2009 I thought we were on the brink of economic collapse, but governments acted quickly to shore up their banks. The cost of this was vast amounts of national debt. As a result the problem transferred from the banks to the countries themselves. In those bleak months I thought there would have to be a paradigm shift away from all the economic models we have tried so far. Such a revolution seems unlikely now, having said that the problem is worse today than it was then, almost every western power is indebted up to its eyeballs so there is no more wriggle room.

Soon Greece will rerun their elections, if they vote for the extreme left guy he may prompt Greece to default on its debt, possibly withdraw from the Euro and reintroduce the Drachma. If they do that Greece will withdraw in to the dark ages for a long time, I am not sure how this will work out for the average Greek person.

Greece owes €41.4 bn to France (its biggest lender) and €15.9 bn to Germany. If Greece defaults it will hurt France but nothing more. The problem is that greece is not alone, there are the famous PIIGS (Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain). If Greece goes down market forces will put pressure on Ireland and Portugal, the next 2 weakest countries, Ireland owes €104.5 bn to the UK, not to mention €39.8bn to the US. Although Britain is not in the Euro it is heavily indebted and its fortunes are to a large extent tied to the eurozone. Using this chart you can see the extent to which all our fortunes are tied to each other and although Greece is like a butterfly fart globally, the impact could be far reaching.

But believe me no country is beyond the reach of the potential economic Tsunami.

I've been hearing the domino/butterfly effect for a while now. I'm surprised Greece/Spain/Ireland have held on this long. I'm also surprised China's bubble hasn't burst yet. I remember studying how large and unsustainable their GDP growth was in 2010.

In the past, war regulated the various economic pressures, but the only real potential for war on a massive scale is in the south china seas over some contested islands. I dont see a potential for that in europe. Having said that Spain wants Gibraltar back, so if they are desperate enough they could invade, I just dont see it though.

I have painted a terrible economic picture, but the one thing I know is that the worlds economists understand the dire straits we are in and will most likely devise a solution.

My solution is to look on the bright side, diversify and like our plumed friends, bury my noggin in the sand and not think about this anymore.

You know, there's always the option of a Crusade. Just sayin' :allgood:

That is a bleak picture, and a few years ago I believed there was no escaping this outcome. Today I am not so sure. Greece will either fold and exit the Euro or stick with the tough austerity program they agreed to. If they fold they will no longer be a consideration and the rest of europe will shore up and devise a solution, the easiest solution is the issuance of Eurobonds issued by the ECB which would be the joint and several obligation of every country in the euro, if countries can embrace some fiscal responsibility and Germany can be convinced to accept this, the Euro may survive. If not there may be another solution.

Another problem is confidence in the financial sector, again this is a global phenomenon. A while back I was chatting with a private banker in Switzerland charged with safely investing peoples money, I asked him where in the world could he invest and be safe from the aforementioned shit storm, the answer was nowhere.

Thanks for the explanation Zeno, I've unfortunately paid far too little attention to the financial crisis overseas so I had only the vaguest idea of what was going on.

It almost looks like Americans forget their debt per capita is higher than that of the Greek,it is almost the same size as the Irish...still higher than the Irish,twice that of Portugal and Spain.....and this is with out the individual states debts.

At least in Europe we are trying to clean house and it has cost the countries north of the alps many billions of Euro's,Europe looks weak because it is opening the books for everyone to see...but it is doing something about it.

As a nation the US is in even deeper shit,http://www.usdebtclock.org.

Here in Holland people are starting to get enough of the billions we have to give Greece or the European bailout programs,especially because the Greek arent to fond of tightening things up....it angers me because we all stepped into this 1 Europe thing and to kick Greece or any other nation out should be a great disgrace for every European walking around; the Dutch economy is going crap....but with only 16million people being the 15th or so economy of the world this nations wealth and freedom is next to nowhere to be found on this world.....whenever i watch the news and i see people nag about Greece i feel ashamed....on the other hand it is being fed by Greek political stubbornness.

edit: To add a lil info,the Dutch government cutbacks are 18b Euro a year....in worse case the Dutch have to give the EU 48b to help the Mediterranean countries...it is something the Dutch dont take lightly :X

Edited by EL_n00biachi

"The cases are similar minus a man eating another. People taking off their clothes. People suddenly have super human strength," says Aguilar. "They become violent and they are burning up for the inside. Their organs are reaching a level that most would die. By the time police approach them they are a walking dead person."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/face-eating-attack-possibly-linked-bath-salts-miami/story?id=16451452#.T8aKzMWHV0Q

WTF?!zombies!!

The thing is the US has the economy to cover there debt and tools to deal with it, Greece because of the rules of being a member of the Euro has it's hands tied and it does not have the economy to deal with it's debt. The UK is in a similar place in some ways as Greece but because they are not in the Euro and can use financial tools Greece cannot.

I freakin love that silo home, if I had a list of things to buy if I won the lottery it would soooo be on it lol.

In the past I have said that the market focus will shift depending on where bad news emanates. The Euro zone has several weak countries, every time they announce bad employment, poor growth, weak bank capitalization or rating agency downgrades for one of the countries, the Euro takes a hit. For the US and the UK its just the news of one country as a result they suffer less often. The US is a hyper indebted economy, but it has a big economic engine. However its fortunes are funded in part by China. China has a very big economic engine but a major market for the chinese is the US. The money China makes from sales to the US funds growth and resource consumption. A big supplier of natural resources is Australia and not surprisingly their economy has done well. If the US economy slides, the chinese will falter and therefore so will the Aussies. Confidence is a factor in growth and lack of confidence promotes recession. Weakness in Europe, breeds fear globally, which is why the US stock market suffers when european problems come into focus. The banks are still an area for concern. JP Morgan/Chase recently lost $2-3 billion making bets with their capital. They are a too big to fail bank, as such their losses can become a tax payer burden (not in this case though). A mistake of this magnitude at this time does not instil confidence in the financial sector.

The US has continued to try to borrow its way out of a weak situation. Europe decided to try to remedy the debt situation as a priority. Austerity budgets are tough to swallow, but the faster they are adopted the faster the economies can get back to normal. In the end the US will also try to reduce public spending, but by starting later it will take longer. I dont know which is better.

I do know that government fiscal irresponsibility is being paid for by ordinary people who had little to do with the decisions that put their countries into the predicament they now find themselves.

Like I said no country is immune.

Still the weather has been nice, lately.

The sad thing is it will be paid by ordinary people that have yet to be born....its outright theft.

The economic system needs a major overhaul,but its being covered up by borrowing money from future generations.

A global economy without credit....is that perhaps where we should go to....is it even possible,surely there must be some other economic system we can use other than this failing global pyramid scheme.

• 3 months later...

this post makes me sad... im in ireland and taxes are goin up and up and up. now we have made up taxes for shit that doesnt exist.

im almost certain there will be a fluffy underpants wearing tax in the december budget.

this post makes me sad... im in ireland and taxes are goin up and up and up. now we have made up taxes for shit that doesnt exist.

im almost certain there will be a fluffy underpants wearing tax in the december budget.

Politicians will not bring in a tax that will effect there fluffy underpants