Spartans Home

Computer Case Questions & Suggestions

Put your computer case related questions and suggestions here. I'll start

I've been looking at a case, and found one I like, but I'm not sure about mounting the PSU on the bottom. Does anyone have their PSU mounted on the bottom of their case, and if so, do you notice any difference? I'm thinking heat dissipation, since my computer is currently sitting on carpet, I'm not sure how well a bottom-mounted PSU will work. Any suggestions or experience in this?

I have a Corsair Obsidian, the PSU is installed in the bottom of the case in its own compartment. The entire bottom of the case is the air intake and has filter which slides out from the rear for cleaning. Any Carpet mounted PC is going to get clogged no matter what the configuration, at least buy some of that perspex sheet to put under it

Corsair-800D-PC-case.jpg

ello

Hot air goes up .

so PSU on the bottom is not bad at all (cooler).

and the PSu's in these days are a bit different (better)(and more silent)

(not related)

pcfancase.jpg

Edited by EBE

I have the Antec 900 Gamer, which has the PSU at the bottom. I use a metal frame "hanger", meant for PC's to hang the box of the side of my desk so the PSU is by default about 5 inches of the floor.

Temps are stable under load at around 45, never gives me any issues.

One of the things you should consider with a bottom mounted PSU styled case is that the PSU compartment should be self contained or enclosed. The heat from a high wattage PSU will travel next to the graphics card(s). Using already hot air to cool a very heat sensitive component is bad for the performance and lifetime of the component. This air should be as cool as possible to begin with. I am considering getting a new case just because of this reason. I may build some type of air redirection device to run from the top mounted 120mm PSU fan to the rear of the case.

For those that either don't know or don't remember, I have an Antec Twelve Hundred V2.

My two cents: If your on a tight budget by a case that will fit the new video cards they are getting larger as time goes on. I just built a 1155 system in a Antec 300 for a friend and the 6950 barely fit also, getting the MB in was a bit of a hassle. I bought a Antec Titan 550 server case w/o PSU from the B-stock of Antec(I paid like $90). The B-stock are slightly damaged so, they don't sell them as new but work just fine, The only things that were wrong with mine...a thumb screw in the front fan assembly and the power button needed to be crazy glued in place. I had to buy the 2 80 or 90mm fans in the front. The case has a lot of room. It's worth looking at the site most of the cases do not come with a PSU but, I figure if they do it won't be large enough for a gaming rig. Here is the link http://store.antec.com/Category/benclosure.aspx

The worst problem you will face is the stuff sucked in from the carpet. Personally I would buy the biggest case you can find volume of space inside is everything when it comes to cooling.

Thanks for all the replies guys. The biggest issue is the carpet that it's sitting on. I had a laptop once and the heat dissipation was terrible, because the fans were on the bottom and back. I'm looking at this thermaltake case right now, and it seems to be a good fit. I'll probably do something like Zeno and Adder and build something to get it off the floor. My main consederation was the space, which is 19.30" x 8.50" x 18.90" and gives me about an inch or more space in every direction compared to my current case. I'm still not sure if those docking ports on top will be useful, but the gigantic fan on top just might. I'll take a look at the other cases on the thread to see if I can find anything better :)

I've got a HAF X with psu mounted on the bottom and my pc sitting on carpet but theirs feet holding the bottom of the case off the ground so I've got no problems. Its pulling air from the bottom outside case and pushing it back out the back so no extra heat gets in the case.

2011-09-27_10-42-15_475.jpg

Edited by Slain~SPARTA~