Spartans Home

Anyone up for making a podcast?

Howdy folks,

I've always wanted to do a podcast focused on PC gaming. I was thinking of perhaps doing one every 2 weeks, with a panel of anywhere from 3 to 6 people each week (any more than that and it might devolve into chaos, but I'm willing to give it a shot if that many people want to gab about games). I think a good running time for the podcast would be 60 minutes, give or take a bit. There's also no particular reason anyone has to be present for the entire podcast; if you can only participate at the beginning or the end, the magic of editing will make the transition smooth.

So, to begin with, I need at least two other people--members or regulars--that feel up to doing this. I also need suggestions for any topic(s) that you would like to hear discussed, regardless of whether you want to participate in the recording process.

Anyone up for giving this a shot? And if so, let me know what days/times you might be available.

Edited by Fatal_Papercut~SPARTA~

Awesome! I didn't know I'd have takers so quick!

Also, please keep in mind that I want to keep this informal--our podcast will simply be a group of friends discussing games.

What I propose is this: use this thread to submit ideas for subjects that you would like to discuss. Anyone is free to submit an idea, even if you don't plan on participating in the recording session.

As far as the format for the podcast goes, I was thinking of:

1. Playlists: we discuss the games that we have been playing. If anyone has been playing a new release, we would love to hear about it (keep it spoiler-free, please). We could also discuss pending releases that we are looking forward to.

2. Discuss the latest gaming news. To keep up with what is going on in the gaming world, I would suggest reading articles on these three sites:

a. pcgamer.com

b. IGN.com (you can filter for PC-only related articles if you wish)

c. digg.com (news aggregation service, click on the tab for games)

If you see a specific news item that you fancy, suggest that it be considered for discussion. Do some follow-up on the story if possible. It only takes one person to bring a news item to the table; just be prepared to fill everyone in on the details so that we can all discuss the subject.

3. Topic 1: We discuss a selected topic.

4. Topic 2: Only if time permits. Dependent upon how much time we spend with 1-4.

5. Questions submitted by listeners (if any). I'll set up an email account (and possibly a website) where anyone that listens to the podcast can submit a question to us.

In addition to these basics, I am open to ideas for other segments. Just as an example, if you wanted to participate in the podcast, you could create a quiz of some sort that the other participants would have take.

Don't hesitate to bring up last-minute items during the podcast. Again, I'm going for a casual, informal approach.

Some ideas I've had for discussion topics are:

1. "A Banner Year for PC Gaming?" Just look at the release schedule for games due out this year, including what has already come out (March in particular has had a steady Stream of "triple-A" releases, and more are on the way).

2. "Customize Your Experience." We all know that the PC is the most flexible gaming platform. You've got mods, indie games, tons of free games, and customized/personalized hardware.

3. "Retail vs Online Distribution." Are boxed, physical copies of PC games going the way of the dodo? What are the advantages/disadvantages (for the consumer, primarily) of each distribution method?

I need to take a little time to look into getting the podcast distributed (iTunes and RSS feeds are the way to go with these things). ** EDIT ** The earliest I would want to do this is the second weekend in April. How are Fridays/Saturdays/Sundays for those that want to do this? What times will you be available?

** EDIT ** We also need a name for the podcast!

Edited by Fatal_Papercut~SPARTA~

Just a minor formality - but if this has some kind of public relations outlook on LOSC, maybe the admins should meet to discuss this first? I don't see there being an issue, but I'd assume things like this may want to be reviewed to fully understand the extent and involvement of LOSC. Haven't seen any posts from the admins on this thread conveying the direction.

Just a minor formality - but if this has some kind of public relations outlook on LOSC, maybe the admins should meet to discuss this first? I don't see there being an issue, but I'd assume things like this may want to be reviewed to fully understand the extent and involvement of LOSC. Haven't seen any posts from the admins on this thread conveying the direction.

Technically, there would be no relation between the podcast and LoS, other than the fact that some of the people doing the podcast would be Spartans; non-members are welcome to participate as well. I also plan on inviting at least a couple of friends from other communities to participate (if this actually takes off).

Unless we actually use "Sparta" in the name of the podcast, which I had not planned on doing, and unless we mention Sparta in the podcast, which I don't see a need for, I don't see how people would draw a connection between the two unless they actually know us.

Wow, how did I miss this thread? I actually had this idea in the past. No where near as formal or planned as you have taken this though, Fatal. I also don't have as deep a knowledge of sound production as you or Haji for example.

I'd be very willing to be a commentator.

Wow, how did I miss this thread? I actually had this idea in the past. No where near as formal or planned as you have taken this though, Fatal. I also don't have as deep a knowledge of sound production as you or Haji for example.

I'd be very willing to be a commentator.

Well, then, let's make this official! How about shooting for Saturday, April 9th as the date for the first recording?

I also had no idea that Hajimoto was experienced with sound engineering? Any suggestions, Haji? Is there any communications software that breaks incoming comms into separate channels to allow for individual level/mix settings?

At the very least, I was planning on recording the show using TS, but I was also going to install Skype to see how well that works. I have a good audio editing app (Sound Forge 9.0, old, but still works great!) and of course the studio equipment to create some music for the lead-in and breaks.

Well, then, let's make this official! How about shooting for Saturday, April 9th as the date for the first recording?

I also had no idea that Hajimoto was experienced with sound engineering? Any suggestions, Haji? Is there any communications software that breaks incoming comms into separate channels to allow for individual level/mix settings?

At the very least, I was planning on recording the show using TS, but I was also going to install Skype to see how well that works. I have a good audio editing app (Sound Forge 9.0, old, but still works great!) and of course the studio equipment to create some music for the lead-in and breaks.

oooh, don't take my mention of Haj too far. I know he knows about sound and sound quality, but I do not make a claim that he does sound engineering of any sort. I am also not volunteering him for anything. You will have to ask him about all of that stuff.

If you could get them to speak Viiiper and Cobol could make a podcast about games and gaming last about 2 weeks (and it would be interesting). Get Cobs to chat about the EVEfest thingy.

Well I do have some sound engineering exposure from assisting on .TV and .LIVE productions a few years ago. Typically the host uses TS3, Ventrilo or Skype as the common audio bridge. Each of these clients allow for level adjustment, and in the past i have been able to adjust the volume level of each client in Windows to achieve nominal sound levels. Some VOIP clients offer a token system where as the the holder is the only audio received eliminating over talk.

A studio quality desk microphone located at the host, while using Skype, actually produces great results as there can be open discussions that sound natural and not over talk-ish. I can offer more suggestions and assist on any level relative to production efforts. I suggest we get together one week ahead of the first production date to test run the production routine and work on the details of format and standard operating procedures.

OK, I am in the process of getting a distribution channel for a podcast. IN the meantime, we need to finalize the following:

1. A date/time to record the first podcast. How does Saturday, April 9th, at 4PM EST / 9PM GMT work for everyone?

2. We need a name for the podcast. Today, if possible, because I'll need it when I create the web site we'll use.

3. Who plans on showing up for the recording session?

4. This is the last chance to suggest topics of discussion. Otherwise, I'll pick one from the list I posted earlier.

"Sparta Cuss"

You see what I did there :hysterical:

Sparta...

Cuss

Man, sometimes I kill myself :thumbsup_anim:

Dependent on time etc I could chuck in my 2 cents. Of course, I would be shy and retiring as usual and might not speak much.

The audience for the podcast is anyone interested in PC gaming. I don't see any need to connect the podcast to Sparta in any way.

As much as I love Dai-San's idea for a name, I had to come up with something quickly because I was offered a great deal (free!) on a domain name, at least for 1 year. So the name we are going with is (drum-roll, please):

Knights of the CAT Cable

Lovely, yes, I know, you should all be proud to be involved. :)

The podcast file will be hosted by The Internet Archive, the domain will be hosted by WordPress, and I can also get the podcast linked on iTunes. I currently working to see if I can get a link in the Zune Marketplace. If anyone else knows of a place that links to podcasts, please let me know. Once I get the site up and tested, I'll do a little more research into where we might want to advertise our wares.

I will also be working my friends and contacts to get other guests to appear on the show. One person I had in mind is Erik Wolpaw, a high-school buddy of mine who currently works for Valve. I also have some former clanmates (Team RAGE) that I think might be good co-hosts from time-to-time.

The ball is now rolling on this. I will make a post no later than Friday, April 8th, outlining the format for the upcoming podcast. It will include the topic(s) of discussion, and links to news items I would like to discuss.

VERY IMPORTANT: If you plan on participating in the podcast, I need you to create a short biography (100 minimum, 200 words max) for inclusion on the website. It can be anything, really; how you got into gaming, your favorite genres, other hobbies, family, etc.

Let's do this, people!