Spartans Home

Vista 32 or Vista 64

Halli~SPARTA~

I am using an OS from a Gateway computer I bought in 2001 XP32 no SP (have sp3 software but after loading disc only reads 127gb)

this is the very first Xp so my system only reads 128gb of hard drive I have 250.

After a OS error I reloaded XP from Disc to C:/ and started from scratch....well not scratch as to my amazement I found

program files were still intact although I had to load every thing else from scratch.

Ok to my point I am going to format the hard drive and buy an OS and Have thought about

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM

Includes free Windows 7 upgrade coupon for $109.00.

Should I wait and go straight to 7 or just upgrade and if I purchase an OEM build will Microsoft still let me upgrade to seven

Thoughts...Ideas?

That's a hard one Halli, at least in some aspects. Go Windows 64 over 32 for sure, that's a no brainer. As for waiting for Windows 7, it depends on when it's going to come out I suppose.. If it's still awhile before the official release date then what I'd do is just get the 64 and the free upgrade coupon.. Hell, that's probably what I'd do anyway now that I think about it. So go with Vista 64 and then as soon as Windows 7 comes out take advantage of the Upgrade Coupon. I don't know much about Windows 7 or any of the upgrade plans but from what I've heard that's what I'd do.

Edited by DeltaSierra

I've been running Windows 7 32bit Retail for a few weeks now and it seems nice and stable. As with all new OS's and Program versions there are things you will not like, or find awkward, but you will get used to them.

No matter what anyone say's you will NOT notice a difference in speed etc when using 64bit over 32bit but if it's a straight choice between the two then you might as well go for the 64bit, you can then access more than the 3gb ram limit of 32bit and no doubt in the future things will take more advantage of the 64bit version.

It installed fine (infact I upgraded from Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate but expect a long install this way) and only one of my peripherals needed drivers downloading (everything else was detected and installed by the installer).

Overall, so far, it has been trouble free and is (slightly) quicker than Vista on certain things, (do not believe all the hype about much faster, quicker booting etc). It does shut down quicker though ;)

Any questions feel free to ask mate.

I am running Vista Ultimate 64 bot and am pretty happy with it. I will upgrade to Win7-64 probably after Christmas when all of the hype settles and I have a bit more cash laying around.

Anyone know if 32 bit versions still have the RAM cap at 3 Gb? Or have they changed them both, 32 and 64, to 6 or more?

I am running Vista Ultimate 64 bot and am pretty happy with it. I will upgrade to Win7-64 probably after Christmas when all of the hype settles and I have a bit more cash laying around.

Anyone know if 32 bit versions still have the RAM cap at 3 Gb? Or have they changed them both, 32 and 64, to 6 or more?

The cap is still there, it is a restriction of 32bit and will not be sorted afaik.

I bought Vista with the upgrade form OEM because prices will go up once windows 7 hits the shelve. Shops won't sell oem versions for some time..... and together with my 275 GTX I should do a lot better, maybe get my 4th gig of ram by christmas....

oh and by the way I get the full windows 7 version instead of only the upgrade if I'm not mistaken.... :D

Edited by Forrester

I read that all 7 versions are full not upgrade cos they are being shipped without IE (this is just in Europe) this includes the ones marked as upgrade helpfully.

I read that all 7 versions are full not upgrade cos they are being shipped without IE (this is just in Europe) this includes the ones marked as upgrade helpfully.

After my last post I checked my order on Play.com (got the pre-order £49.99 for home premium :D ) and it mentions in the blurb that it comes with 32-bit, 64-bit AND ie8. That last bit confused the hell out of me as they are supposed to ship without following the legal challenge they got hit with. Still will know for certain in around a months time....

that's a good price Watchman, my understanding is the disc ships with both 32 and 64 on it - giving you the choice

Yes, MS had a special launch deal that ran from July 15th (I think) till August 15th, or whenever stocks ran out. You could buy from 5 or 6 retailers in the UK. Amazon was my obvious choice but right from the start you couldn't place an order for the home premium version, they were only allowing orders for the Ultimate edition, at around £80. So I went to Play at got it for £49.99.

No surprise that the "stock" ran out well ahead of the planned offer close date but having said that Amazon are now selling the home premium version for £64, which is still good.

And yes, it does ship with 32-bit & 64-bit and Amazon are also saying that they will ship with ie8, so no idea how they got around that issue but who cares!

I am using an OS from a Gateway computer I bought in 2001 XP32 no SP (have sp3 software but after loading disc only reads 127gb)

this is the very first Xp so my system only reads 128gb of hard drive I have 250.

After a OS error I reloaded XP from Disc to C:/ and started from scratch....well not scratch as to my amazement I found

program files were still intact although I had to load every thing else from scratch.

Ok to my point I am going to format the hard drive and buy an OS and Have thought about

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM

Includes free Windows 7 upgrade coupon for $109.00.

Should I wait and go straight to 7 or just upgrade and if I purchase an OEM build will Microsoft still let me upgrade to seven

Thoughts...Ideas?

Wait for Windows 7.

No matter what anyone say's you will NOT notice a difference in speed etc when using 64bit over 32bit but if it's a straight choice between the two then you might as well go for the 64bit, you can then access more than the 3gb ram limit of 32bit and no doubt in the future things will take more advantage of the 64bit version.

Speed? No. Performance? Yes.

Once SP1 came out, Vista got a whole lot better. You CAN notice a performance improvement with 64 bit over 32 bit and there are numbers to prove it but this depends of course on the software (and hardware too) being run of course. ;-)

Vista is stable and doing ok at the moment. If you jump to Windows 7 now, you may have to be patient for some of the 64 bit driver support to catch up. This happened with Vista and was an annoyance at first.

If I were you, knowing October is just around the corner...for Dragon Rising...oops ( :D )...I'd hold out for Windows 7 and get on the bandwagon from the start.

My two cents

I've enjoyed the time I spent playing with the Win7 RC, but as someone else mentioned, there's no major performance difference between Win7 and Vista--especially for gaming. I'm running Vista Home Premium 64-bit (now with SP2! stays crunchy in milk!) Seeing as how I just built a new rig, I'm not keen on shelling out another $120 or more to upgrade to Win7 anytime soon. On the other hand, if I were still running XP, switching to Win7 would be a no-brainer. Which is good. Because I don't have a brain.

Oh yeah, and get 64-bits, because, you know, it's like, TWICE as many bits as 32, maybe more, I dunno, all that binary technical math stuff is 10 confusing for me. And make sure you request the disc (round) version; mine came on a trapezoid and was extremely difficult to install.

Im running 7 PRO 64 bit full version, outher then a monitor problem, runns stable as a rock. I like it. I think ile keep it. The only thing I noticed is, it boots and shutts down faster then vista, But vista ran great as well on my AMD machine. When XP 64 first came out, I installed it, to descover none of my games would run. Becouse some of the older games ran 16 bitt in the back ground. The older games work with 64 bitt 7 so its ok now.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Had to format my hard drive yesterday as the last install of Xp was over the old one and some files would show but I could not figure how to link them to operate properly.

Yep Thanks for the advice guys I will get the Round 64 bit deal when I have money (I can send self addressed stamped envelope if needed)..... :rolleyes: :)