Spartans Home

Brace yourselves for a shock

Zeno~SPARTA~

Many of us here long for more tactical, more cooperative play. Over the last couple of days there has been a growing interest in Arma2 and OFP2. In our previous incarnation many of us were forced to play Arma, and frankly this went down poorly, some completely refused to play the game (in my case I just sucked at the game).

As you know here at Sparta you will never be told you have to do anything. We only do things we enjoy here. But over the last few days the very game that we detested ( because of the pressure on many of us to play it) has become a focal point of interest. So I have reinstalled one of the 3 copies I have owned over time and patched it up to 1.14, 4 or 5 of us are doing the same and we will designate an Arma Coop evening. There will be no obligation to play and hopefully those with the knowledge will remember enough to be able to share with the rest us.

As you know I play for fun with like minded people, I wont take any game too seriously, but will follow orders to the best of my ability. The two guys in viiipers post embody my attitude to gameplay.

I like COD4 and will keep playing it on the crouch only nights, but I wouldnt mind playing a mission that takes a couple of hours, requires a plan and where players have specific roles (as Mutilator described in his post). So there you have it, against all odds ArmA is coming to Sparta.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arma still has issues if your not aware, However that said they are sort of minor compared to it's disgusting release.

A - Vegetation problem, You hide behind bushes and trees, The enemy still see you through them and this has yet to be overcome so don't think in coop you cant be seen by the enemy, Yes they will shoot you very fast as well.

B - Sound issues ... gawd the sound has improved however it's still woeful and you can't rely on sound to distinguish which direction or gauge the distance to your target whether rifle fire or a vehicle.

Apart from both of those ongoing problems the game plays smooth and at very good frame rates, Diesal who comes in here to TS still plays Arma occasionally and OFP still. If you see him on chat to him regarding Arma and setting it up to run with minimum problems. Beatty is another player you might see in TS, he is an old friend from Vet Squad (OFP) he would also give you any advice and help, so don't be scared to ask either of them.

Arma at BDA was bad news from both perspectives as it was a POS out of the box and needed lots of work, add that to being forced to play the game by the Breeze Dictatorship, You wondered why i never bothered with the game and not anyone i know bothered either, Most players i knew from before BDA left there servers after Breeze decided to kill off the game that had the best following at BDA ... Yeah OFP.

If you guys enjoy Arma ... All being fun and entertainment, I can help you out by getting some old friends to drop by and help you all get acquainted if you would like this to happen (Let me know), however I'm not interested in participating.

If you played ARMA at bda you were tagged that day. It was complete bullshit and a shocking recruitment procedure. Where as the guys who played GRAW 1 and 2 all the time took months and months to be tagged as they didnt play that game.

What a crock of shit

Great news Zeno you know you can count me in, 7 said the he would love to help us get some missions setup and he is the guy to go to if we want to play, we only need a few people to get a good mission going so once we know whose in lets set a date and get it running.. :clapping:

Just a couple of points that Mutilator made, (not contradicting you mate just giving my opinion on the same issues)

The vegetation does provide you with a certain amount of cover but you cannot open fire from behind some long grass and not expect to get killed, if you are observing a target and not actively engaging them its ok, you do need to undertsand the differenece between "cover" and "concealment", "cover" such as a wall etc will provide you with a certain amount of protection depending on the weapon calibre being fired at you and its range, whereas "concealment" will hide you for a period of time but offer little or no protection, I know its a small detail but one thats important to remember in the heat of a game.

The original ingame sound was never that good but for quite a while now most people have been using a modded soundpack that is a massive improvement I will check with 7 what version they have now and get a link sorted out, and I dont know how many guys use headsets to play their games but thats all I use and I dont have much trouble locating the direction of any enemy fire, unless of course I'm surrounded and it's coming in from everywhere.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Zebb~SPARTA~

Hi Athlon

As you know we are a multi game group and everyone is not obliged to play all the games the group does. I dont want anyone to spend money on ArmA as it is an old game that is soon to be replaced. However everyone is welcome to play.

All games have limitations but I know this game has moved forward a lot since I played and I am looking forward to trying out the latest mods.

Arma and WoW caused a lot of problems in our old group and yet here we are playing Eve and Arma, the difference is this is one group with one standard, it was never the games that caused the problems it was the manner in which the group was managed in relation to each game.

We are a group of buddies that play computer games, it doesnt matter what the games are or even if some of the games dont please some of us, hopefully there will be one game amongst the panopoly that will be what you are looking for.

All I can say is testing, testing one, two , seven, ungalie Bungalow.

I have updated the Lotus Vale's ArmA download section. Both patches are hosted as well as a Map and two cool mods, one for game play and one for sound. Also included are Photoshop plugins and some tools needed for modding.

http://www.tinarobertsstudios.com/thelotus...loads.html#arma

Also, there are many good sites for Arma. My favorite is http://www.armaholic.com. they are the ghostrecon.net for ArmA.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

If you played ARMA at bda you were tagged that day. It was complete bullshit and a shocking recruitment procedure. Where as the guys who played GRAW 1 and 2 all the time took months and months to be tagged as they didnt play that game.

What a crock of shit

I am not going into a debate regarding this but i have to say this. It´s not true Kram. It was not easier getting tagged playing ArmA than it was playing GRAW. When ArmA got on the way we had been playing GRAW for a while by then and this was roughly 6 month before the big bang. It was by that time just as easy or hard if u like to get tagged. Rember how many new players joined GRAW and that time. I was a quite a few and compared to Arma I think there was roughly a handfull people getting tagged. Remember i was playing that game A LOT and admining the server so i think that i would know how it went down. Breeze did tag a couple of people after they came to the server in a week straight but that wasn´t the procedure that the rest of the admins were following

Anyway let the past be the past and stop blaming the game for what one man did to it.

I will do my best to be there on these nights so u can almost count me in ;)

Ok I have the 1.05.5136 original with no patches armaholic has all the patches for download but what do I need to get to were you all are.

Ok I have the 1.05.5136 original with no patches armaholic has all the patches for download but what do I need to get to were you all are.

I am using the original ArmA: Combat Operations game with the patch to 1.08 then the patch to 1.14.

The 1.14 patch includes the ARMA WARFARE pack. The U.S. version of the 1.06-1.08 patch is on the Lotus Vale as well as the International version of 1.14

EDIT:

I found an International 1.08 patch download site for mirror purposes.

http://www.gotf.net/index.php?option=com_r...einfo&id=88

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

Europeans will need, 1.05, 1.08 and 1.14

Then we will need Queens Gambit.

Zeb and Mutilator will help us build a mod list.

It will take a couple of weeks to sort out but at least we will be able to get into the swing of it before the new version comes out.

Armaholic is indeed a good site for downloads here is a link

http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=official_patch

Since this game is of interest now, I propose adding a Armed Assault Thread to the games list. This way we can post information just as we do for the other games.

For the time being:

ArmA: Startup Parameters from the BIS Wiki

These parameters can be configured by creating a new shortcut on your desktop and then adding the appropriate option.

Example

"C:\...\some path\ArmedAssault.exe" -nosplash -mod=@winter

Contents [hide]

1 Available parameters

1.1 Display Options

1.2 Misc.

1.3 Modifications

1.4 Network Options

2 Closer Description

2.1 config

2.2 profiles

2.3 ranking

2.4 nosplash

Available parameters

Display Options

-x= Numeric, used to set resolution width

-y= Numeric, used to set resolution height

-window Displays ArmA windowed instead of full screen

(can be used in conjunction with -x/-y: -window -x=800 -y=600)

-nosplash Disables intro and splash screens

-benchmark Intended for automated benchmarking, but was never

finished and is not working.

Misc.

-maxmem= Limit memory allocation (in MB)

-init= Run scripting command once in the main menu (often used as "-init=playMission[,'M04Saboteur.Sara']"

-world= Select a world loaded by default, e.g. -world=Sara

-noland Starts ArmA with no world. (Used for Bulldozer)

-buldozer Start ArmA in Buldozer mode.

-generateshaders Use unknown. (Possibly for use with Buldozer)

-download Use unknown. (Possibly set auto download of missing Mod pbo's from

server.)

-disableProgramDrawing Use unknown. (Possibly for use with Buldozer)

-useProgramDrawing Use unknown. (Possibly for use with Buldozer)

-gamertag= Use unknown.

-dsound Use DirectX sound.

-openal Use OpenAl sound.

-nosound No sound output.

Modifications

-mod= Allows you to subdivide your addons into different folders,

folder names separated by semi-colons.

See modfolders for more information.

-cfg= Selects a config file like your arma.cfg.

Network Options

-port= Port to host dedicated server on.

-password= Password to join dedicated server.

-ranking= Used to generate a ranking file. -ranking=<filename>

-config= Config file for server specific stuff like admin password and mission selection.

-host Start a non-dedicated host.

-server Start a dedicated server (not needed for a special dedicated server exe).

-connect= Client-side, server to connect to.

-name= Client-side, User name.

-profiles= Alternative placement for per-user content.

-netlog Enables ArmA multiplayer network traffic logging

Closer Description

config

The option -config allows you to specify a specific server.cfg file.

profiles

-profiles is a startup option allowing you to choose an alternate location for the user profile files, such as missions and .cfg files.

The windows user account would need permissions to write to the folder of choice.

An example might be like this:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\ArmA.exe" -profiles=C:\ArmA\Profiles

Ranking

-ranking is a startup option allowing you to output ranking info or othewise know as player stats.

The windows user account would need permissions to write to the folder of choice.

An example might be like this:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\ArmA.exe" -ranking=C:\ArmA\ranking.log

nosplash

-nosplash is a startup option that allows you to bypass the splash screens on startup of Operation Flashpoint and Armed Assault.

Note: Real speed-up gained with this is likely to be negligible with Armed Assault, as the loading screens are handled in parallel with the game data being loaded, and the loading itself takes quite long thanks to the amount of data needed.

As for my setup, I use the -nosplash setting and I have tried the -window setting with the -x=/-y= parameters but even though I am running my desktop resolution at 1280x1024, and have set the startup parameters as 1024x768, the game still comes up as 800x600 in a window. I have tried other resolutions as well. Another thing that makes this difficult is that in window mode you lose the in-game video option of changing resolution. In full screen mode you have a list to choose from, in windowed mode it simply says something like "Windowed" with no option to change it.

For the record I am running Win XP Pro 32bit SP3 with DX9.0c on a eVGA 8600 GTS with latest GeForce drivers.

In addition, the splash screens run concurrent with the game loading. with the splash screens disabled, you see a screen shot of a helo silhouette and a radar "hourglass" showing activity in the bottom left. While the time is virtually the same, you don't have a bright red ATARI screen blaring at you anymore.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

Personally, I dont want Queens Gambit.

It only has a couple new maps and with some missions that end the first game. The game only has three new vehicles and they are ones that most could definitely live without. The weapons included in QG are included with the 1.08 patch.

http://www.armedassault.com/queensgambit.html

There are plenty of maps and missions on aramholic.com to tied us over till the new games come out later this year. Spending more money on a game that is past it's prime and is soon to be replaced seems a bit unwarranted. The price at the game store here is $30.00 for just QG, not the Gold version that has both which is $40.00.

I would rather play the custom content and save that money for a new game coming out soon i.e. ArmA2 or Ground Branch.

AACF: SOUNDPACK is one to look at. Also the HiFi Sound FX is looking good. There are so many mods to add whatever additional experience your looking for, from arty fire to laser designators.

Trues mod improves on most of the ironsight's and Matt's ARMA Effects for the Hollywood explosions.

Now this is just a tiny list of things that can GREATLY enhance your ArmA experience. Most of the above links provide a clip to give you a idea of how it effects gameplay. But even without all the additional eye candy and toys, ArmA hands down is the only true Battlefield Simulator out there. Closest thing to being back in the field for most of us prior military. So close that the USMC adopted a older version of the engine for its men on carrier deployment, called it VBS1. VBS2, which is currently used, was born from ArmA and will grow with ArmA 2.

This sim isnt for everyone. Fact you cant jump cleared out about 65% of your avg gamers. But if its a tactical hardcore experience your looking for, especially with some squared away mates who approach combat the same way you do, there is no substitute. 6-12 men on a mission with some of the same variable dynamics that happens in the field (random patrols, weather, etc) can be a blast, war story worthy even.....as long as no one makes a mistake lol

Btw, you can thank 7 for all this info and if anyone has any questions I'm sure he will be more than happy to help.. ;)

Edited by Zebb~SPARTA~

Well I won't be joining all you folk, I personally think it's a bad idea, prompting the old game

unless there is interest in the new one, otherwise we are going to be left with the old BDA problem.

2 Games the first is popular and the second new and no one wants to move too, but how do you kill the

old one?

Sorry I won't be in ArmA 1, only private for my own ref. till operation flashpoint DR & ArmA II arrive.

Best of luck.

I think we are talking about a handful of people playing the old game, I would'nt want anyone to spend any real money. I for my part want to get the hang of it before the new one comes out, because frankly I was low on the learning curve when I tried before.

When OFPII or ArmAII come out and you choose one I will be in it with you.

I see it as an opportunity to re-familiarize myself with the game and re-learn the controls in prep for the new version coming out. Oh yeah, and that whole shooting stuff/blowing stuff up thing too.

Mod setup can be simple or can be down right frustrating for some ppl, I suggest you all understand how to install and initialize mods before you try going down this path.

SOME MODS require Queens Gambit extension to run and also other mods installed also... be careful and make sure your command line loads the mods in the correct order or trouble can be found as well.

Until everyone is up to speed i would suggest using the original content with as few mods as needed like sound and vegi fixes only, then progress with adding one mod at a time as some mods clash as well. (Same named Pbo's with different content)

Arma is still in a league of it's own regarding game play and realism in a battlefield game, No the graphics are not Crysis and it has inherent issues ongoing, However if you can look past all the problems this game is still a very good piece of work and so far no other software company has even come close.

Use the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle when installing content for Arma and your game playing will be less frustrating and the learning curve a little less frustrating, once you advance and get acquainted move on to bigger and better additions.

Zebb,

Do you remember them wishing to add content from VBS in the first Arma ... Maybe Arma2 will have lots of cool stuff from VBS, This will set the standard apart from OFP2 > Arma2/Vbs. Considering Code Masters have never produced a FPS game prior leads me to think that OFP2 will fall short from the original as it will be produced to appeal to the masses as profit margin is going to be a factor for them also. The also are going to find it difficult to top the original without BIS helping them due to all the complex data transfering from server to client. Net code for OFP/Arma/VBS is in fact some of the best around if you take all that is happening on the field into account at any particular point in time.

Right, for now we will install up to 1.14 with no mods.

We need to figure out a strategy for queens gambit.

We need a list of participants

zeno

Floyd

Zebb

UST

Medic

Samurai

Custard

This will be a low key familiarisation project. The games will be coop on a passworded private server initially run from local pc's

We will develop a short list of add ons and identify the order in which they will be installed. Apart from zebb everyone hold on the mods.

Thanks to Zebb and Mutilator for ongoing advice.