Spartans Home

News from Hajimoto

MedicSN6

First off, Haji said Hello and that everyone is safe now, and no one was hurt during the storm.

For those that don't know, millions of people have been without electric for the past week in the North Eastern U.S. The freak snow storm downed so many trees, most parks and residential neighborhoods are fairly barren of greenery. Many trees fell on power, phone, and cable lines.

Haji has been without grid power for a week today but has had his generator running most of the week to keep the heat working. He said that all of the stores are out of pretty much everything but milk and frozen food which are nearly impossible to keep cold so not to spoil.

He said that even if they get the power back on soon, it will be days before his cable and internet are back up and running. It wasn't until mid week until phone service was available due to massive inundation of calls for help and people trying to connect to the outside world.

Please send your positive thoughts and/or prayers if you do so to Haj and his family. I know this is a simple snowy disaster and he prepared for much of it, but it still sucks to not be able to play Battlefield 3. ;)

He'll be back ASAP.

Gosh, this suck so badly.. All of my postive thoughts with Haji and family...

However, I am seriously surprised... wasn t it last year they got hit by something similar and had about 1 week no power and so on?

What the public administration is thinking overthere? If their location is subject to this kind of disasters, why don t they start to build electric and phone grid Underground???

If they rebuild aerial lines, at the next storm the trees will be down again and the loop will continue... What are they thinking???

It is like here in Florida.. they know Florida is subjected to hurrican season.. it may hit every year by one or more hurricanes, it s just a russian roulette game, however.. what they do? they buld and re-build aerial power and communication lines, constantly on the same poles that get of course destroyed by any strong wind.

Thy say they cannot go underground in FL because is swamp.. honestly, swamp my ass.. they should just use their frozen bains too take action with Prevention in mind, instead or dummily repair damages in this stupid way.

I was talking with some builders in Tampa, someone told me is a political factor. It seems every State has a sort of Federal Insurance against this kind of issues.. That Insurance will re-pay for repairs in order to re-build the infrastructures "exactly" how they were before the accident, not any improvement. So if a pole crash, they will spend their money to rebuild that pole, not to possibly make it underground.

Now, the interesting thing is that the Federal Insurance is not "pressing on the loacal State taxes", so the State governor has to file the claim to have all done, but does not has to Tax his fellow neighbors...

So the political issue is, there is NO Governors with enough BALLS to talke to the ppl and say, "Guys, we need to raise Taxes here, because we will be able to prevent this shit next time.. so .. true, you have to pay a bit more now, but finally we will imrpove infrastructures, and next year, you will have your power and phone lnes..."

No unfortunately no Balls, because no Governor would base his campaign on "Raising Taxes".. and probably some narrow-minded person would not see the major improvement...

therefore, in many US States, normally subjected to heavy Winter or hurrican seasons.. the Citizens suffer the calamity and can t do anything about it...

In front of all of this, my Prayers really go to possibly have for all of this bastard politicians a nice Stroke and feel what it means being is serious troubles.

Late to the party but glad to hear Haji & family are all okay. Sucks when this kind of thing happens, over here we rarely get serious outages, in my area anyway, so can't imagine what this is like.

Pass on my thoughts, if anyone can and tell him to get back online! :hysterical:

Reminds me of the hurricanes we had here in florida in 2004, 4 hurricanes back to back in a row. one after anouther and stronger and stronger. gusting to 110 mph wind for 7 days, power down for 7 days i think was enough. I know exactly what hes going thru, it not a fun thing. If it wasent for call of duty single player, i would have lost it.

We cooked on the grill every night and had fun anyway.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Hello Everyone!

Well it certainly has been a long and miserable nine days. We had to utilize all of our mobile resources to survive the freak storm and subsequent 17 degree nights. Long lines for gasoline and basic food supplies was a normal sight after two days.

Just for the record, we here in New England have had a really tough 12 months:

Winter of 2010 the most snowfall ever recorded in New England. Almost 5ft in the month of January 2011.

June 1 2011, Greater Springfield area hit by an EF3 Tornado. Damage Estimates over $350 million dollars.

July 7 2011, Greater Springfield area hit by a micro burst. Over $65 million dollars damage.

August 28 2011 Hurricane Irene hits New England causing substantial tree and power damage. Over $13 billion dollars.

October 29 2011 New England is hit with a fierce Nor'easter dropping 16" inches of snow and causing damage to every single tree in the region.

Here are a few photos of the October 29th storm damage to my property and power distribution in front of my property.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

Click HERE for slide show

Thank you all for the well wishes and prayers!

Edited by Hajimoto

Yeah we got the rain from that system, but it only took moving up one state to turn it into snow. I can't read the text on those pics Haji, but are you identifying ninjas creeping up on you? lol, good to know you're ok. It's strange to see all the snow and the bright fall colors still on the trees.

Everybody thinks they'll never have to wait in line for gas or food, but all it took up there was a snow storm, huh? Anyone who's interested should check out the book "One Second After." It's a pretty scary and thought-provoking book about what would happen if the power went out.