Spartans Home

Handling a Negligent Discharge like a BOSS!

MedicSN6

+1 to Panic. He was practicing firing while in close proximity to an attacker. when you're that close, you don't want to put your weapon where an attacker can grab it, so you fire it from your hip instead of going into a weaver or isosceles stance.

Not sure how he's a moron....

It was an accidental (negligent) discharge that he blamed on himself. He clearly knew exactly what happened and took full responsibility of the outcome on himself. What he was doing was nothing new or dangerous to him, and I know friends who practice the same techniques. What happened was a freak accident and a great example of an accidental discharge that happens every now and again. He seemed very well-versed in his firearms training and held great character to take the outcome of a bad situation on himself. In America, that is sometimes rare to come by, as lawsuits are as common as cheeseburgers around here.

Thanks for sharing Medic. Just goes to show how important firearm safety training is and will take my conceal and carry classes even more serious after I turn 21 this month.

The guy owned up to his mistakes and thought it might teach someone else out there to be extra careful. If anything, this video shows that the latest wizzbang tactical technological products to accessorize one's Peace might not be all that cool afterall. Sometimes simple is better.

I am actually very impressed with the guy's Weapon Handling Drills. If you watch and listen closely (30 sec mark approx) you hear him engage the safety before laying the weapon down. After shooting himself like this he stays calm and makes his weapon safe before reacting a lot less than I, and many of us (if we're honest) would have.

Shit happens to the best of us, and to post up something this potentially embarrassing says a lot about the guy.

What he was practising is a perfectly legitimate CP (Close Protection) technique and unfortunately muscle memory took over when he had switched holsters. There are many varied CP draw techniques, including several where you use the firearm as a weapon without firing and to each his own.

I really don't think he is a 'moron' or even to blame really, apart from the fact that he really shouldn't have switched gun and holster so close together.

He kept the weapon pointed at the ground and away from bystanders (camera direction?) after shooting himself with a .45, that says a lot to me about the guys quickness of thought.

I don't see the the point of that practice drill to much tho as it appears mainly for show to me, I would expect someone with a carry permit to practice keeping a threat further away I cannot see Medic allowing a threat within arms reach am I wrong about this?

Now I see Dai's post it's a technique for close protection in a crowd fair one and good to practice I guess.

Um, he shot himself in the freaking leg. He put his finger on the trigger with the gun pointing at his leg. Then he pulled the trigger with the gun pointing at his leg.

Bad Bob doesn't do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqABkG1JpHM

He did the same thing this person did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmRN00KbCr8

Props for putting this on the web so everyone can learn to blame the holster for putting your finger on the trigger and pulling it with the gun pointing at your freaking leg.

PS: Muscle memory is a myth.

Somebody's a little butthurt over nothing, lol. He never once blamed the holster. In fact if I recall, he specifically said he had only himself to blame and it had nothing to do with the holster.

Agreed. He pulled the trigger. He brought up the holster issue (it took the safety off...) but he's right, it was his fault. Yet another lesson: You can get shot with a .45, have it travel a foot or so through you, and still be very capable of doing a lot of things.

He kept the weapon pointed at the ground and away from bystanders (camera direction?) after shooting himself with a .45, that says a lot to me about the guys quickness of thought.

I don't see the the point of that practice drill to much tho as it appears mainly for show to me, I would expect someone with a carry permit to practice keeping a threat further away I cannot see Medic allowing a threat within arms reach am I wrong about this?

Now I see Dai's post it's a technique for close protection in a crowd fair one and good to practice I guess.

For one to be mentally and physically prepared for the various encounters that anyone of us could possibly face, we first need to recognize the necessity of self defense. Then, we need to identify all permutations where someone could gain the upper hand. In this case, the guy in the video is practicing a response to a close-up encounter where the subject has come within an arms length and has pulled a weapon of some sort. At this distance a knife is just as deadly as a firearm, so the possibility of this situation happening is higher than an engagement with a firearm alone or one at distance. Often, assailants will misdirect by asking for directions or a simple nonchalant question. Their goal, however, is to get within striking distance and close enough to possibly conceal a weapon from potential onlookers and be able to give verbal commands without raising their voice.

Once an assailant is within this direct kill zone, we have to realize that the chance of injury is peaking and the potential of death is also much higher. The mentality of the subject also needs to be taken in to consideration. Brazen actions, close up interaction, the ability to look a victim in the eye and still commence with a violent crime are all points that scream the assailant is willing to do anything to accomplish his crime including murder. In addition, paranoia, fear of injury to his or her self, being seen, leaving a victim as a potential witness, these motivate a criminal to react violently without even the slightest provocation from the victim. Depending on the nature of the person, whether drugs are involved, and the emotional state of the subject, the subject could be triggered by an unexpected remote external stimulus such as a near by car alarm or a car driving by.

It is a given that most criminals do not practice firearm safety, do not practice with firearms in general, and care little for the well being of their victims. The entire picture creates a deadly mix and should not be taken lightly.

The man in this particular video was practicing the particular defense technique for someone who is carrying a handgun concealed and chooses to neutralize a known threat. The ND resulted from multiple failures in equipment, his inability to see the danger of the combination of equipment, his inability to control his trigger finger while drawing from retention, as well as his inability to maintain a neutral mental bearing and focus on the task at hand instead of being mentally derailed by a video camera. Because he was so worried about his youtube video, he failed to see the potential hazard of his hardware combination which resulted in the accidental release of the primary safety on his firearm, a botched draw, and ultimately a Negligent Discharge resulting in a bodily harm.

I give the man much respect for trying to prevent failures in the future, but if he hadn't been recording, he probably would have realized the holster/safety issue and checked it out better. All in all, please pay the fuck attention.

I gotta disagree with the "muscle memory myth" thing. If that were true, then there would be no point in practicing anything, let along handling a firearm.

Muscle memory might not have been the 'correct' term. Let me explain.

My Fobus holster's retention mechanism requires you to depress the release with your trigger finger to allow you to draw. If you draw quick your finger naturally falls onto the trigger. I assumed this was what had happened, with the added action that this particular holster was not designed for this pistol and had disengaged the safety when he holstered the pistol.

This resulted in the two things coming together to cause the ND. A gun in the holster (with safety off) and as he drew (using his trigger finger to disengage the retention mechanism) his trigger finger then fell onto the trigger and caused the ND.

So not so much 'Muscle Memory' as the fact he was practising with two different types of retention systems and it caught him out.