Spartans Home

Emt's Idea for Operation arrowhead

EMT~SPARTA~

Hello y'all! So my brain has been wondering off in class again which, makes me think of arma... I've come up with another idea.

So we all know the idea of the op-for commander. Had its ups and downs, mostly ups. But i was thinking on how we could expand on that idea and change up domination a little bit.

This includes changing the role of the commander from being in the Main AO's and making him a 4 star general. Allowing him/ having the ability to make/create units. What I mean by this, is actually having an enemy line to some point.

Some of the idea's I had:

1) Being able to create units, and place triggers for small ambushes on units...such as convoys.

2) Changing the Main AO's, once captured, to FOB's. Spawning a small base with hummers for transfer to the next mission/AO. Getting rid of the parachuters that make so many of us angry.

3) Either the Blu-for can defend the now spawned FOB or move onto the next Main AO. (Also depends on how the commander wants to destroy them. With ambush while to the next AO, or attack the FOB.

4) Keep the AO's closer together, AS IN A PUSHING OUT ( Ty for the guy who helped me word that). Not 8k out. Something far enough to drive, but to far to walk...

5) No more Commander in the AO, to many pvp anger erupts.

6) Make the 4 star general's commands user friendly. Make it easy to setup ambushes. To me, making it EXTREMELY realistic by moving units all the way from a spawn point to a point on the map is a plan downer. Being able to place units in an ambush site, quickly without problems would greatly increase the quality of the game for the Blu-for.

I DO NOT MEAN SPAWNING 12 TANKS ON THE FLANK OF THE BLUE_FOR. I just mean, placing a squad or 2 on/by a road, with a trigger or I.E.D.

Now I know there are some problems that arise when thinking of this idea..

1) what stops people from just using the mountains? No road? No IED...

2) .... thats all i can think of right now...

So this is an IDEA... Please let me know if y'all want to do this. I talked to MH6 about the idea, and he said he is up to help out if allowed by the higher up's.

ANY FEEDBACK IS GREATLY APPRECIATED>>>

pretty_please_cat.jpg

Edited by EMT~SPARTA~

While im talking from limited knowledge, being that i neither script nor have played arma much, this seems like a great idea. By essentially making a dedicated "god", you allow that one person to dynamically alter maps, although at the expense of not being able to partake in the game. Perhaps having this person be both the Op-For and the players "intel officer", they can use their imagination and triggers to mix up the missions.

Example, intel officer (god) informs players that the road to the objective has several reports of IEDs, suggesting that players disembark and use dirt paths through the forest to reach the objective, after placing unknown amounts of IEDs on the road.

Expanding on EMT's ideas:

1. God being able to set generic or pre-made units and events

2. Make the player model for god be invisible, levitating, and unarmed, to observe player progress

3. Persons who play god, who are skilled enough, be able to modify terrain/buildings if possible

4. God being able to spawn player-friendly units and vehicles for specific scenarios (transports, minesweepers, ect.)

While the god would have to be dedicated to making the game fun for the people playing, i think that everyone would have fun. Like I said, i dont script or play arma, but just throwing in my ideas. I'll post any more I might have.

EMT at the risk of sounding insensitive to your education, keep on day dreaming brother, this stuff sounds GOOD!

After thinking about the variables associated with the Supreme Commender role (from this point on will be referred to as SC) and the many ways that he/she could dynamically alter the battle, I thought about a pool of points system.

The SC will have a pool of points in which directives would draw from, for example:

2 points for a Tank

3 points for a suicide bomber attack

1 point for altering the terrain

2 points for an ambush

This type of system would force the SC to be more strategic in how he/she doles out their supreme whoopassness (its a real word,Google it). It would also afford the SC to use all their points in the beginning of the conflict. The points would reset between AO's so there can be a transfer of power that would be seamless (should a disconnect or life agro happen). I am not sure if the game engine or script routines allow for this type of versatility but it would certainly reduce the "No win situation" on the battlefield as there would limits to what could be done.

Also I would like to jump on the band wagon of "Lets try it and see" , I mean what harm can come of it, lets initiate the simple changes and give it a go, see where it goes. I am sure there will always be ways to improve something but in the mean time you don't want to spend so much time designing you lose your client base.

So, lets get in there and mix it up with some of those new card board rifles. (Shameless plug)

[YT]V85N3Oj2AaI[/YT]

Edited by Hajimoto

There are many points I like here and many i think are possiby very difficult to realize froma a programming standpoint.

I am not a scripter anyway, I might be wrong.

What I know is that after one attempt to create a mission, I understood a couple of things:

1 - Scripts are powerful and add great stuff to the game

2 - Scripts are unfriendly to manage

3 - Scripts are static, meaning they are embedded in a "mission". So look at any environment we play on, from a Coop mission to a Dom, as a static theater, where things may or may not happen, but are sostantially already "written" and embedded in the mission body

So, this kind of EMT idea, supposes exist a sort of GUI for a Commander to generate "scripts on the fly" which I hardly believe is possible.

I never played the OpFor Commander role, but if I do understand correctly it has the GUI to move troops on the ground. That is ok, and of course feasable in the game, but being restricted to the GUI game, i don t think you could create a bunch of extra commands to achieve the extra requrements for the EMT ideas.

Another point I really like tho, is the possibility to manipulate the AO spawning to simulate a PUSH invasion. That is something I always wondered why it was not implemented.

Many military games implement the PUSH concept, weird Arma don t have it.

So, we have a large map as Takistan, let s put as scenario that the full map is under Insurgent control, and let's have BluFor invading from West to Est, with the classic PUSH scheme, which involves you have to capture 2 or 3 OAs on a sort of frontline, before you can continue your path. OpFor might re-gain control of some outposts, forcing a stop on the invasion till when you get the outpost back.

We saw this in many games, I am not discovering the hot water.

I think this is scriptable, all the variables can be embedded in the mission and is feaseble.

About the Spawning base concept, I am not agree on that too much. Because we "do not do" something, it does not mean we need to create some Spawning stuff.

Fact is, we enjoy the game and we enjoy killing stuff that moves. Nothing wrong with that. However, besides TacDom, I don t see any interest in creating our outposts out there. This is a player responsability, not a game ones.

What i mean is, many times we are plenty of ppl on server, about 20. We have Plenty of lifting choppers available and we have plenty of useful vehicles.

What we do is this: grab a choppper, lift an MHQ, get a LZ, deploy MHQ, spawn there, kill everything that moves and restart at point one.

We do not consider stuff like:

grab ALL THE LIFTING CHOPPERS, chose the most effective veihicles for a mission to lift, consider Vehicle Service area and plan to have Refuel, Repair, Salvage trucks, of course the MHQ, then have the MG soldiers building their Nests around this Base we built as static defenses and once all is done, take the chopper to base, respawn at MHQ and then kill everything that moves.

NOW YOU GOT YOUR BASE and now you do with your base what you want, moving it ahead with you from AO to AO.

I'm reaaly liking the God idea someone had.

I'm no scripter either, that's why I had a chat with mh6 about it before I posted. He said it could be done.

Zeno, I am going to the dentist, then ill be back. Ill chat with ya then. See if I can clear up the idea better

I'm reaaly liking the God idea someone had.

I'm no scripter either, that's why I had a chat with mh6 about it before I posted. He said it could be done.

Zeno, I am going to the dentist, then ill be back. Ill chat with ya then. See if I can clear up the idea better

By the sound of it, all this can essentially be done with some modifications to my COIN scripts, Opfor Commander scripts, and then adding some custom scripts to handle the creation of ambushes and the like. I'd also probably rework the High Command unit control scripts and make them more user friendly.

The COIN (Construction Interface) scripts allow you to purchase and place buildings in a 3d view, much like an RTS game. This would also allow the purchase of units (inf., armor, etc.), and we could even have them spawn at the necessary buildings (i.e. infantry spawn from a barracks--if Blufor destroys it, no more infantry). I even envision the infantry barracks/armor depots/etc. being minor complexes scattered within the enemy "zone" (think of a line; everything on one side of it is enemy territory, which would diminish as Blufor captured towns), not just solitary buildings in the AO. So placement is important; you don't want to place these facilities too far away from where they're needed, but you also don't want to place them too close, 'lest they be easily spotted and destroyed. I had included these scripts in a Domination map a long time ago, but we removed it due to the potential for abuse--instead opting for the pre-constructed, placeable FARPs. We'd of course need to make sure the Opfor commander could not also abuse the construction, i.e. limiting them so they can't place new buildings within a certain radius of enemy units, can only place so many buildings and only so quickly, etc.

So, essentially, the image I have in my mind is that of a true Opfor commander, playing the game as if it were an RTS. This commander would construct buildings, purchase recruits, set ambushes, control his army, and use said army to fight Blufor, which would be composed of individual soldiers. There have been a few games in a similar vein that worked very well (i.e. Zombie overlord controlling AI zombies to fight human-controlled teams of survivors)

All this is definitely possible (as I've already done most of it to some extent), but I may be complicating things. We can always keep it simple; one AO, ability to build in that AO (or no building at all), ability to purchase recruits which travel from another location or are airdropped, ability to set an ambush, etc. As opposed to what I'd personally like to do, having a more spread-out area of warfare, but still retaining the main AOs. It'd be less predictable though, as Blufor may not initially assault the AO, they may instead decide to seek out and destroy Opfor's production plants, etc. So, if we decide to pursue this, one question will be of the commander's freedom. Essentially, should we constrain absolutely everything to the AO, or rather give the Opfor a more generous amount of space for him to work in, and in essence create an enemy territory, as opposed to an enemy town?

Anyway, my 2¢. We can discuss this more in-depth on TS one day, decide if it's something the community could benefit from. Especially now that Xeno has said he was (once again) going to stop working on Domination. Though you never know with him.

now that is something i would excel at causing problems for bluefor

plus an added idea lets say instead of the inf having to run or whatever to get in place they are tele to a spot with in a certain radius on the map so that it would limit the opfor forces and the building are invul until the next AO or what not pops up and the building is in it so we dont have some jackass killing the MC and bluefors fun.

Perhaps you could even extend it to be a mercenary group commander where the big boss has provided the commander with limited assets at the beginning. As time and kills progress, the commander is given "bounty" for each human killed in the AO and bigger and better units are unlocked.

Which does the bluefor choose, swift tactical takedown of AO risking large losses and more units for the opfor? Or maybe a long well thought battle where the risk of facing more progressed units is possible?

@ Haloelite

plus an added idea lets say instead of the inf having to run or whatever to get in place they are tele to a spot with in a certain radius on the map so that it would limit the opfor forces and the building are invul until the next AO or what not pops up and the building is in it so we dont have some jackass killing the MC and bluefors fun.

what the....?

ok let me break it apart even more each AO has a certain amount of buildings that spawn opfor and if someone trys to jump ahead and destroy them they cant. when that building is in the AO when it is time for that AO to be attacked then it can be destroyed. each building has a radius of (x) on where said units can go as a AO for the opfor that those units cant leave. Does that help?

• 2 months later...

We need an Invasion map like emt said before. Also why theres no firebases for the arty it would be cool if theres a way to put and defend it like a hill assault defensive mission. The other one why theres no timers for the arty soldiers like the ones in the ammo boxes that way would be more accurate than just waiting.

Edited by Gon5

gon, you and i need to sit down at some point then, in regards to the firebase defense thing, amongst other things. myself and rebel have been throwing ideas around for new side missions for the current dom servers, but still need more input before we actually start creating them. also need to talk to zeno about the actual creation of them........

Jeff