Spartans Home

My grandfather is dying from cancer...

MedicSN6

so we are taking the opportunity to learn about his life and some of the things he has done. He has Lung and brain cancer and it wont be long till... wel you know. So my brother and I were sort of interrogating him about his military days in the Navy.

We always knew he served in both WWII and Korea on the USS Intrepid and the USS Whitehurst respectively. But the other day he started talking about when he was on the Whitehurst.

Turns out while he was being kamikazed (sp?) he was the aft gunner on the 20mm AA guns, he shot down a bomber trying to bomb a sister ship and got strafed by 20mm gun fire from another US ship trying to shoot down a second bomber. The third bomber which was headed for the Whitehurst was then focused on and shot down but it hit the Whitehurst and it's bomb exploded causing some damage as well. He made it out just fine but the funny part was that he was hit by a ricochet from the friendly strafe. It grazed his ass but didn't draw blood so he wasn't eligible for a Purple Heart. The ship didn't sink and most of his shipmates made it out alive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Whitehurst_(DE-634)

"Taking up station on the 10th, she was still steaming in that capacity early in the afternoon two days later when a low-flying enemy aircraft closed the ship only to be driven off by Whitehurst's gunfire. At 1430, four "Val" dive-bombers approached the area from the south; and one detached itself from the group and headed for Whitehurst. It circled and soon commenced a steep dive while two of its companions also commenced an attack, one from the starboard beam and one from astern. The latter two planes spun down in flames, destroyed by anti-aircraft fire, but the original attacker continued down in spite of the 20-millimeter hits that tore at the plane. This "Val" crashed into the ship's forward superstructure on the port side of the pilot house, penetrating bulkheads and starting fires that enveloped the entire bridge, while the plane's bomb continued through the ship and exploded some 50 feet off her starboard bow."

He also participated in the Philippines on the Intrepid as a Gunner's Mate and shot down some enemy planes there too. One of the planes that hit the ship finally stopped about 10 feet from where he and his gun were sitting.

http://www.acepilots.com/ships/intrepid.html

"Shortly after noon 25 November a heavy force of Japanese planes struck back at the carriers. Within 5 minutes 2 kamikazes crashed into the carrier killing 6 officers and 5 bluejackets. Intrepid never lost propulsion nor left her station in the task group; and. in less than 2 hours, had extinguished the last blaze. The next day, Intrepid headed for San Francisco, arriving 20 December for repairs."

Some pretty scary stuff compared to nowadays.

Sorry to hear this Medic, I hope he will be comfortable. Interesting tales indeed.

Yeah he is comfortable and made the decision long ago (1994) to not do any real life saving measure in the event of this situation. He'd rather have whats left of his life in good health than prolong his life by a few months and be laid up in bed, sick for the duration. He is in good spirits. This is particularly sad for my brother and I because he is our last grandparent. He is still pretty mobile and spry, but he has Alzheimer's and some dementia but other than this he is good. He can still feed and dress himself and is living independently at a very nice private home. Basically so he doesn;t burn down his house and to make sure he gets his medication appropriately.

This is all something we have to deal with and it isn't easy but we all make it through and are better because of it.

Medic, My thoughts and prayers are with you. My Grandpa served in the Navy as well during WW2 and I wish I had the chance to ask him to tell me more about his service. I know a few things but not as much as I want.

I dont need to tell you to treasure the time that you have left.

I'm 35 now, but by the age of 33 I had lost all of my grandparents and both parents. I definately agree with your approach to learn as much as you can now about his past, and even ask him about other relatives and his parents. I spent a good amount of time talking with mom before she passed, but even now I still have unanswerable questions about relatives. Good luck to you and your brother, and warmest thoughts for your grandfather during this time.

Our prayers are with you, bud. If I hadn't tied up our loose ends the day my dad died, I'd be a lost puppy today.

I don't know if you've done this already, or if it's even possible, but it would do your kids and grandkids justice to video tape him talking about his stories, or audio recorded them. Stories can always be passed down, but stories from the horse's mouth are invaluable.

Like I said, our prayers are with you.

I only have 1 grandparent alive she is 87 and she still is full of spirit, my grandfather passed 10 years ago. and all i remember are the war storys and how unforgiving it was beck then.. today we take advantage for what soldiers like him have paved for are future, and today how people always complaine about how hard life is these days..we have no idea how easy we have it compared to what they went through..my prayers go out to you and your grandfather,. Durka Durka has a good Idea make a video and record his stories ..

Edited by GySgt~SPARTA~

the last grandparent i had died when i was two. so i dont know much i know both my grandfathers served in WW2 one a Sargent in the army the other navy midshipmen. i still have the steel pots they used. sorry to hear that medic the stories i would really like to hear more about.

Again, thanks all. Video is a great idea and one that we have thought of. The problem is that it takes him 5 min to get a 10 word sentence out. Kind of sad really. He had dementia and Alzheimer's and expressive aphasia on top of it so what little he can recall, he has a lot of difficulty getting out. He knows it and it frustrates him. We can see it on his face because he knows what he wants to say and just can't get it out. So, we just let him talk about what ever he wants to talk about and let him take as much time as he needs to do so. Yes, it can be nerve-racking as he restarts a sentence over and over, but it is worth it to hear him talk.

When I was 11 years my family took a week long trip to New York City. One of the highlights and more memorable tours was of the USS Intrepid Memorial Museum. I will never forget my grandfather standing at the bow of the deck, which he made sure to point out that when he served on her it was a wooden deck and not a metal one, and the tears just rolling down his face. He didn't sob or whimper. He stood up as straight as I had ever seen and looked at the stars and stripes waving atop the command tower. I only wish that we could have done that trip when I was older so I could have understood it as I do now.

What is sad is that I know that my family is some Big Damn Heroes in it that have fought in ever war. The only male in three generations that I know of that has not been in direct combat with the enemy is my father who was Reactor Division (RL)on the USS Nimitz at the end of and after Vietnam. It's sad because the Greatest Generation is ending and the legacy that the US military man leaves nowadays is not held in even half the esteem or honor in comparison. Let's not even talk about the Vets coming home from Vietnam. The worst thing that ever happened to the U.S. were the 1960's.

Much respect though for our WWII vets including the women who served in the nurses corp and in the offices typing out death-grams. Much respect to all of our Vets.

Spend as much time as you can with him mate and ask about as much as he will tell you not just the war stories.

We should allways remember what that generation of men and women did for the following generations there sacrifices were incredible.

My Dad's dad spent a lot of time with me before he passed and like an idiot I wasted that time I regret it now.

Bud Your Grandpa is a hero to us beyond a doubt remember he has had a long life, as said the best part will be telling your kids and there kids about him.

Tell your Grandfather thanks for his Service because WE DO THANK Him.

Bud Your Grandpa is a hero to us beyond a doubt remember he has had a long life, as said the best part will be telling your kids and there kids about him.

Tell your Grandfather thanks for his Service because WE DO THANK Him.

Hear hear!