Spartans Home

New GFX card ordered

andrewman~SPARTA~

Invidia and ATI cards should have automatic fan throttleing for heat sence the 6 series for invidia, I don't know about the ATI cards, probley sence the 9800 pro, As they heat up the fan should speed automaticly up to keep it cool. Unless your room temp is 100 degrees.

At those framerates Vsync isn't an issue. Where you would notice a cap is like mine, at the aircraft carrier front screen mine is a solid 60fps and won't go higher.

Mid 20's is the norm in ArmA 2 mate, it is amazing how much the game engine effects framerates. The more AI and game logic in use (even if not visible, ie the other side of the map, out of draw distance), the lower the framerate.

A good test of this is using UTES in the editor. Place a single player (yourself) on the UTES map in the editor with no waypoints, enemies, game logic etc and check the framerates.

Then place some AI, game logic (SOM etc) and waypoint and triggers on the map (all on the other side of the island) out of draw distance, and recheck your framerates.

In a Countinuance of Hijacking Andrews Thread

I tried to SLI my 8800GTS (G92) with My 250GTS (G92) ...not gona do it not at this juncture of time no SLI but with that said no fire either.

Recon when I play a game with PhysX I'll have one.

Okay, card arrived and installed, relatively easy. Used the update option to download the latest catalyst drivers (09.9).

My setup is an E6320 C2D overclocked to 2.589, 4gig PC8500 and the HD4870 @ 1024mb. My previous card was an 8800GTS 320mb OC.

With the 8800 I was seeing average 20 - 25fps and experienced some lag. With the 4870 the graphics are much smoother but according to fraps, I'm still averageing only mid 20's. Was hopefully expecting a bigger number, what are other people seeing and does anyone have a similar setup but getting better fps?

My monitor is set at 1440 x 900 60 mhz refresh and most of my ingame settings are low or normal.

Will probably try COD4 & WAW tomorrow to see if they show improvements from the 8800.

I would advice you to have a look at the PSU My 275 GTX didn't show much improvement on arma untill I found out the bus-speed and memory speeds were reduced due to to little power in my PSU (380 watts instead of 550) Now I have 700 watts it runs like a baby.... (combined with an x48 mobo and a fresh vista 64 bit install....) I'll see you on friday guys, can't wait..... (but my wife makes me to...lol)

I would advice you to have a look at the PSU My 275 GTX didn't show much improvement on arma untill I found out the bus-speed and memory speeds were reduced due to to little power in my PSU (380 watts instead of 550) Now I have 700 watts it runs like a baby.... (combined with an x48 mobo and a fresh vista 64 bit install....) I'll see you on friday guys, can't wait..... (but my wife makes me to...lol)

Running a 580 watt Hiper PSU, so power is not an issue for me here. Gaming is much more stable now and I'm not bothered with the FPS (fraps now turned off). Only times I'm getting any lag now is when I get my broadband performance drop-off (which is a totally different other issue).

See you on Friday!

5850 is installed, maxed the resolution and turned up everything to "very high" runs smooth at 25 FPS, I too have turned of Fraps. Game looks the dogs danglies.

I was concerned about noise from the new card - no need, running quietly

I was concerned about heat - no need to be hasn't got past 65

I was concerned about swapping from Nvidia - time will tell

So, all systems are go and I will be putting it through it's paces over the next couple of days

You may want to play with the manual fan settings by putting my fan (on a 4870) to 40% I get vastly reduced temps with little added noise.