Spartans Home

New GFX card ordered

andrewman~SPARTA~

Good luck, after doing the same recently (4890) I will be switching back pretty soon. I must admit I am underwhelmed with the performance and just don't like the ATI CC.

I STILL can't get VSync switched off in ArmA <_<

well if I knew what Vsynx was, I'd be a techie, there is a couple of weeks to wait until it is delivered, estimated at 9th Oct - and I am travelling that week, but patience is a virtue honed with age and wisdom.

It will be coupled to a 24" Samsung panel, so hoping to push the detail and resolution up so I can stop being so myopic about the targets - and OFP is around the corner

[and as I have neither patience or wisdom]

SEND ME THAT CARD - NOW !!!

Almost taken the same route albeit under budget constraints. Have ordered (should recieve tomorrow) a HD4870 1024mb. At £114 delivered, it was a bargain and £40 chealer than the comparable Nvidia's.

What are the best drivers to use with Radeon's and any advice greatly recieved. :D

Almost taken the same route albeit under budget constraints. Have ordered (should recieve tomorrow) a HD4870 1024mb. At £114 delivered, it was a bargain and £40 chealer than the comparable Nvidia's.

What are the best drivers to use with Radeon's and any advice greatly recieved. :D

Try installing what comes with the card you will get an option to download the latest, working for me :D

Excellent value mate bit gutted I paid £60 more for mine LOL.

Try installing what comes with the card you will get an option to download the latest, working for me :D

Excellent value mate bit gutted I paid £60 more for mine LOL.

I've been thinking about it for well over a month as with Arma I was seeing average fps in the mid 20's. I figured with the imminent arrival of the 5xxx series prices might drop some more and it seems I was right for a change!

Personally, I've always used Nvidia cards in my own systems. I'm not a fanboy, so I have no particular disposition or reason to dislike ATI products, but I have run into one consistent problem with the four or so ATI cards I've installed for other people: fan speed management.

Any decent gaming-capable GPU is going to run hot, and for the life of me, I have not been able to get ATI's own CatalystCC or other things like RivaTuner to adequately manage fan speed. RivaTuner worked sometimes, but it would inexplicably forget the custom settings and go back to default (slow) fan speeds, thereby causing overheating issues that led to problems like missing textures or the lovely BSOD.

I'm glad ATI is out there providing competition that keeps Nvidia's prices from moving beyond the stratosphere, and one of these days there's going to be a very compelling reason to use one of their cards for one of my machines.

*** WARNING: Old Fart Nostalgia Alert ***

While I can't recall what happened to my very first 3D card--the Diamond Monster 3D II--I still have my 3Dfx Voodoo 5 around here somewhere. I remember being amazed not only by its size (it looked like a green cricket bat sawed in half) but also by the fact that it required one of the molex connectors from my PSU just to function. It ran so hot that it shut down a couple of times during a few LAN parties, but it was still awesome.

Oops Fatal has reminded me, I manually adjusted the fan to 40% it drastically reduced the running temps without too much added noise.

Okay, card arrived and installed, relatively easy. Used the update option to download the latest catalyst drivers (09.9).

My setup is an E6320 C2D overclocked to 2.589, 4gig PC8500 and the HD4870 @ 1024mb. My previous card was an 8800GTS 320mb OC.

With the 8800 I was seeing average 20 - 25fps and experienced some lag. With the 4870 the graphics are much smoother but according to fraps, I'm still averageing only mid 20's. Was hopefully expecting a bigger number, what are other people seeing and does anyone have a similar setup but getting better fps?

My monitor is set at 1440 x 900 60 mhz refresh and most of my ingame settings are low or normal.

Will probably try COD4 & WAW tomorrow to see if they show improvements from the 8800.

I hope your new card works out well.

I used to be an AMD fanboy and only built my computers with their procs and vid cards. (of course I made a bunch of money trading their stock years ago...) These days I use intel procs and only Nvidia video cards. I got really tired of the drivers for the amd cards.

Today I am running two 8800GTS 512's on a 1920x1200 28" monitor with everything on high, not a single slow down. As soon as I notice something I'll pick up a pair of 1GB cards and throw them into SLi mode, but until then these have worked great for the last year(ish).

Whatever works is a good card, I just like Nvidia at the moment when I do my builds. (of course I am also running 8GB of great memory, that probably helps)

SAR

Thanks for the letting us highjack your thread Andrew .

It appears that the 8800GTS 512 (g92) works as well if not better than the GTS 250 1 GB

I have gotten several video psychedelic crashes with the GTS250 but not one ever with the 8800 GTS.

Someone send money so I can Upgrade....... :rolleyes:

Okay, card arrived and installed, relatively easy. Used the update option to download the latest catalyst drivers (09.9).

My setup is an E6320 C2D overclocked to 2.589, 4gig PC8500 and the HD4870 @ 1024mb. My previous card was an 8800GTS 320mb OC.

With the 8800 I was seeing average 20 - 25fps and experienced some lag. With the 4870 the graphics are much smoother but according to fraps, I'm still averageing only mid 20's. Was hopefully expecting a bigger number, what are other people seeing and does anyone have a similar setup but getting better fps?

My monitor is set at 1440 x 900 60 mhz refresh and most of my ingame settings are low or normal.

Will probably try COD4 & WAW tomorrow to see if they show improvements from the 8800.

28-30 fps with 1600x1280 and some settings on high to very high only ones on low are shadows and posteffects

This is interesting for two purposes, I thought long and hard before swapping what I consider to be almost a religous following toward either Nvidia or ATi. I still have a pang of doubt about the swap - honest it becomes that ingrained - even though I know the card will provide cracking performance.

Secondly there are some great comments on other set-ups that players have tried and the results they obtained, which are invaluable first person experiences to others, without the normal "mines better than yours" sub-text.

Watchman your biggest gain wont be fps but the fact that you can run textures at highest quality without an fps hit.

You can check vsync to see if thats holding you back but i doubt it.

what is the cpu and how much ram do you have - that could be your bottleneck but to be honest at mid-20s you should see any frame lag/stutter.

CPU is an Intel CDd E6320, stock at 1.86 but has been clocked to 2.589.

RAM is 4 gig of Kingston PC8500 with a further 4gig waiting for my Windows 7 copy to turn up.

My weak point ( I believe) is the cpu but I decided on the gfx upgrade as giving me more bang for my buck, at the moment.

I'm hoping to go to a quad core in the future but that will almost certainly have to be sometime in the new year.

Wjilst I wasn't expecting massive fos improvement I though I would see something noticeable in the numbers. This will be the first time I've upgraded a card and not seen an instant fps change.

As already mentioned the gameplay was way smoother and if I hike up the graphics settings and still have the smooth play, then it's been a worthwhile purchase.