Spartans Home

Announcing: Sparta Tactical Domination Nights: UPDATED

Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

Hi Gents,

it was really nice to be part of the tactical gaming session last friday! Hopefully this kind of coordinated gaming style will become a 24/7 institution.

Thanx for the nice leading and the tactical gaming guys, gimme more.....

See ya soon gents,

*TEK*Toni

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gents,

it was really nice to be part of the tactical gaming session last friday! Hopefully this kind of coordinated gaming style will become a 24/7 institution.

Thanx for the nice leading and the tactical gaming guys, gimme more.....

See ya soon gents,

*TEK*Toni

x2

Thnx to all for playing. Even Panic. :lol:

actually while we are discussing this - one thing that i think should seriously be considered adding.

No Revive or Heal - just a Medic class.

Obviously we could swap the class roles at end of each or after a couple of village takedowns...but I think it would add an extra dimension and make the tactical more realistic and a persons life more valuable hence better teamwork and coordination.

Hi All,

Great games last night. I think we should have a 24/7 passworded Tactical Domination server and a separate TS channel obviously.

I have used the whisper keys in TS before with GR.net and it is not difficult to set up, excepting finding enough spare keys.

Domination is on the passworded UK server

liking the idea of medic only for a fixup. how many medic classes are there thought? because if we split into squads with only one medic, if the medic dies were screwed :D i'd say a lot more thought would have to go into mission planning because a couple of assaults from the other night pretty much guaranteed lots of casualties. i believe andrewman had the least casualty rate when he lead us.

i enjoyed it the other night, probably moreso than if it was 100% fully tactical, but i think some people are a lot more sensitive to noisy comms than me, but saying that even if you do give some good info out over a clear TS, it seems like you get ignored, because 30 seconds or a minute later 2 or 3 people will call out the same tank on our six as if it's just appeared.

did notice a few rambo missions, you could be in a group of 5 or 6 one minute then next minute there is 2 of ya left and the others have scattered. i dont see a problem if they dont die, but if they do dide then revive can be difficult and also drags you from your good position. i tried to work on this myself on friday, i had to sit on my hands to stop me engaging before being told to do so :D especially when durka was in command and we were all in the tree lines with AT, got that bit one one of my vids.

x2

Thnx to all for playing. Even Panic. :lol:

:Party_hat:

just checked - there are 3 medics in the current set up - thats one per squad up to 3 squads or 2 and 1.

that should be enough really if you protect the medic which should be the case - in fact you should be protecting all of your men - so no excuse really.

worth looking at removing the revive even if its just tested over a few hours to see how players manage.

OK its Friday and time for another bash at Tactical Domination.

I see there are a lot of ideas for improving the gameplay. Durka will refine this game using these ideas over time but for now,

The first step is to address comms.

We have setup an ArmA II Tactical Domination channel with 4 squad channels and a Team Assignment Room.

When you arrive wait in the Team Assignment room and we will assign you to a squad. You will stay in that squad for the duration of the Tac Dom night (if you are waiting too long jump into a squad and ask where to be assigned, dont be upset if you are asked to hold) . A squad leader will be assigned to each squad that will have channel commander. he will be able to speak to all squad leaders and his squad.

The commander will develop a plan and explain it to the squad leaders (as an alternative we can create a planning channel so everyone can be told at the same time). The squad leaders have to make sure they have the right gear for the mission objective assigned to them).

Although there is room for up to 4 squads we may only use 2 or 3. Early in the evening there may be only one.

Only call targets that affect your own squad.

Squad leaders, when using channel commander, remember to announce your squad, name and who you want to talk to. eg this is Charlie squad, Fred for Commander. Commander should acknowledge, then fred should say his piece. All commanders will hear this, but it should be manageable. Later we will refine this using established methods that Lightspeed and others have presented us, for now we will keep it simple.

Plans should be initially very simple, alpha chopper to x1 location, Bravo to y1 location, advance to x2 and y2 with instructions for weapon status, this is to keep the downtime between missions brief.

The commander will need to be a channel commander. We will see how this goes and do an ARR to identify areas we can improve on.

Lastly, move cautiously and cherish your life and do not jeapordise your squad mates by drawing unneccesary fire.

Have fun

did we scrap the Revive by any chance - just run with the Medic classes as Healers?

would be good!!

the you last sentence will happen by default -

Lastly, move cautiously and cherish your life and do not jeapordise your squad mates by drawing unneccesary fire.

Lighty

Good games tonight. Apologies to all for the wait and my weird voice, I was going hoarse towards the end, lol.

Please have patience and realize it takes time to get everyone organized, as well as get a plan of attack together, not to mention trying to put people into squads who are just now coming in. Remember the rule of respecting the squad leaders/commander. :) All-in-all, some really awesome missions we went on and I'm impressed by everyone's teamwork so far!

That's the most fun I've had in I don't know how long!

Really well structured and effective, well done to everyone.

Even enjoyed my brief stint leading the sniper squad, a CTD during the firefight didn't help but we held it all together.

Can't wait for the next one! :D :clapping:

I overheard someone in the server tonight saying that the title for this event is misleading.

It makes no mention of it being "Infantry Only" so some players thought they could use vehicles tactically.

I think this needs to be made clear.

If these folks are only reading the title, and not the rules that accompany them, then they are misleading themselves.

great games tonite joined in with charlie squad Snipers to start out with that was sweet stuff....finished the night off with the guys in alpha things got crazy in BRavo not much was left behing just the bodys for alpha to clean up lol J/K everyone did there part at keeping one another alive and pushing forward alot of props to the commanders and squad leaders .. :clapping: :United_States:

Firstly thanks again Durka for organising this event. It gets better every time.

Now that I have had some sleep, time for a no BS assessment.

I felt ineffective as a squad leader in the first assault because my squad was being hammered from 2 or 3 quarters whilst trying to advance on too many specifed coordinates. They were not clogging comms but were trying to warn me of the direction of attack. There was incessant heavy gunfire and we were being circled by 2 choppers (one of which took a bunch of us out in the trees). Because we didnt have stingers some thought to pick up enemy machine guns to try to bring them down, as they were a threat to us. We were being picked off from the right flank as we tried to move to the left as instructed which resulted in them being drawn away to remove the threat. On top of this I was receiving a lot of commands from the commander, which I focused on to the exclusion of my squad. All in all it was an unpleasant experience for me, and I am sure I made it unpleasant for my squad, apologies. It could have been simply because that town was better defended than anything I have seen before in Domination and my inexperience in sifting through so much audio input.

Luckily the next towns were better.

In the last town I worked on we only had a squad of 5, we were given few commands and left to our own devices to achieve them. This was a much better experience.

Good job Lightspeed on helping to tighten the commander comms discipline.

Things to think about and discuss.

Big squads are effective with simple fixed objectives (like the main assault force for a town to draw the enemy away), The rest should be 4-6 men with the squad leader deciding how to achieve the objective.

The commander should be in the fight as a squad leader and should not micro manage the battle. If one squad needs help, they should advise the commander, who should devise a solution at that point.

The plan needs to be simple and take no more than 5-10 minutes to sort out

A medic on your squad is a plus

A couple of stingers per town is a plus

Well said Zeno - I have been thinking about this too.

My feelings -

Commander reporting goes like this -

Commander to Squad Leaders,....... (finish with 'over' if you require a response, or 'out' if you require no response).

Squad Leader reporting -

Alpha Squad to Commander (or Bravo) (or All Units).............over (or out).

Commander issues plan of attack with his Squad Leaders - it cant be overly complex - more like a "move from waypoint A to waypoint B and call in when at this location. Weapons yellow. Report back when objective reached."

That's it - no need for Commander to check progress every 30 seconds. The Squads are competent and need the freedom to use their own skill to achieve objective/reach target.

Only if Commander requires a change of plan should he use Comms - Squad Leaders are already handling half a dozen other men on their squad.

Alternatively, if Squad Leader needs to report in some important intel or requires support they can then radio in to Command.

A waypoint should be set as a Map Marker or a Squad Leader should update map with Marker to show current position so we don't need to check in to see where a Squad is located.

Second Proposal -

When a Squad Member needs to use comms - you give your name first and who you are talking to.

"Lightspeed to Squad Leader................" (not "I see an tango", who the *&^% is I - it could be anyone in your squad!)

Do not jam up comms and think before you speak - better to be clear and concise then dribble out meaningless words.

5 well chosen words can be more effective then 20 unclear words.

Remember - if you need a response you end comms with "over" - no response then end comms with "out". Simple but worth knowing if you dont already.

Another proposal -

If you are commanding a Squad you issue this warning to your Squad to members who are not listening to orders or who are pushing out too far ahead.

If you continue to disobey commands or stray too far from your Squad you WILL NOT GET A REVIVE - we are a team.

That could be the warning prior to the mission starting so everyone knows what the penalty will be for trying to be a one man show. There were a couple of occasions today when my Squad strayed but I just took note and stayed calm. Having said that, I had to risk the lives of other members to carry out a rescue and I won't be getting into the habit of losing my men to those who can't obey orders.

'nuff said.

All in all, it's a lot of fun and on several insertions the result was outstanding. Great teamwork and good coordination.

Lighty

Edited by Lightspeed

It will only get better, we have to learn by experience.

Lighty, one of the problems is people come into the game not knowing what to expect and actually havent read anything just see a bunch of people playing domination in squads. Over time the regulars will be the majority. We (meaning I) will learn to do better, I already know to make sure that my squad has a SAW, AT and one AA (and I would swipe a medic). as people become more familiar with channel commander we can rotate the squad leaders.

The game naturally discourages people from straying too far as they spend a long time waiting for a revive. I am more concerned about the guys that run ahead and kick off the fighting before everyone is in place. having said that this didnt happen in Bravo Squad, although Party chopper did like to be the involuntary point man, it didnt cause any probs.

I tend to be very self critical, it is not my intention to criticse others. Thanks for your patience.

team BRAVO kicked some ass last night, once the PARTY CHOPPER lands in town then that's when ppl start dyin' :D

was pretty good last night guys, splitting the squads was a better idea than last week. i think it would be extremely difficult for the squad leader to concentrate, in one ear they will hear the mission commander and the other he can just hear his squad calling out targets and other things, i would think a lot of the squad would forget that just because we cant hear the other commanders that the squad leader can here everything that the team says.

i'd say there was too much info flowing on comms but as soon as you engage a town it is pretty much non stop for 15 mins, and always threats/targets to call out.

probs from last night:

the squad doesnt mean a lot to some ppl, some dont watch the team positions / formation / direction / cover teammates / dont revive. squad leader has to repeat over and over direction of travel or location to cover. plenty of rambo moments. problem is that when rambo gets shot then they expect to be revived asap.

some people do not see map markers.

i dont think we could move as quickly as the commander would like, especially when asked to move to give cover to Alpha team (because they were too weak :D ).

everything is a lot more organised than the public server but do we actually take the town quicker? or is that not really the point? it would make sense for me if it was easier/faster but doesnt really seem the case. maybe the towns are not big enough.

party chopper ran out of booze.

Domination Player List

1-1-A

1. Team Delta Engineer Leader

2. Team Delta Engineer

3. Team Delta Engineer

4. Team Delta Engineer

1-1-B

5. Second Artillery Operator and Rescue

1-1-C

6. First Artillery Operator and Rescue

1-1-D

7. Team Alpha Leader

8. Team Alpha Sniper

9. Team Alpha AT Soldier

10. Team Alpha GL Soldier

11. Team Alpha Medic

12. Team Alpha MG Gunner

13. Team Alpha AT Soldier

14. Team Alpha MG Gunner

1-1-E

15. Team Bravo Leader

16. Team Bravo FAC

17. Team Bravo MG Gunner

18. Team Bravo Sniper

19. Team Bravo Medic

20. Team Bravo Attack Grenadier

21. Team Bravo Demolitions

22. Team Bravo Grenadier

1-1-F

23. Team Charlie Leader

24. Team Charlie Sniper

25. Team Charlie AT Soldier

26. Team Charlie Soldier

27. Team Charlie Medic

28. Team Charlie MG Gunner

29. Team Charlie AT Soldier

30. Team Charlie MG Gunner

My idea of balanced squads.

Alpha Team

2 Team Delta Engineer

5 Second Artillery Operator and Rescue (limited kit)

7 Team Alpha Leader

9 Team Alpha AT Soldier

10 Team Alpha GL Soldier

11 Team Alpha Medic (limited kit)

12 Team Alpha MG Gunner

13 Team Alpha AT Soldier

FULL KIT LIMITED KIT

1x AA 1x SNIPER

2x GL 1x JAVELIN

3x AT

Bravo Team

3 Team Delta Engineer

6 First Artillery Operator and Rescue (limited kit)

15 Team Bravo Leader

16 Team Bravo FAC

17 Team Bravo MG Gunner

19 Team Bravo Medic (limited kit)

20 Team Bravo Attack Grenadier

21 Team Bravo Demolitions

FULL KIT LIMITED KIT

1x AA 1x SNIPER

2x GL 1x JAVELIN

3x AT

Charlie Team

4 Team Delta Engineer

23 Team Charlie Leader

24 Team Charlie Sniper

25 Team Charlie AT Soldier

26 Team Charlie Soldier

27 Team Charlie Medic (limited kit)

28 Team Charlie MG Gunner

30 Team Charlie MG Gunner

FULL KIT LIMITED KIT

1x AA 1x JAVELIN

2x GL

4x AT

Delta Team

1 Team Delta Engineer Leader

8 Team Alpha Sniper

14 Team Alpha MG Gunner

18 Team Bravo Sniper

22 Team Bravo Grenadier

29 Team Charlie AT Soldier

ALL FULL KIT

Individual Roles

AA ? Stinger inc 2 missiles + Personal choice of rifle

AT ? SMAW inc 6 rounds + Personal choice of rifle

GL ? Assault rifle with 203 inc rounds + Personal choice of rifle

SNIPER ? M107 + Personal choice of rifle

JAVELIN ? Javelin inc 1 round + Personal choice of rifle

It goes like this.

When peeps come in game all we have to make sure is

Alpha, Bravo and Charlie get a medic, team leader, engineer and a MG

Alpha and Bravo also get a Artillery Operator

Delta gets an Engineer and a MG

Starting from scratch I would build Alpha first then Delta then Bravo and Charlie.

keeps forgetting to post these, guess it's not exciting anyway and i apoligise if you find it dull but u can skip or whatever ur not dumb, but might give someone a little idea about how the tatical stuff goes on a friday, bare in mind that these are from the first (test?) night, so things have progressed a bit. watch the HD version of you actually want to see what's happening.

1st one shows the mission discussion and plan of attack for the next target, and then later it shows the markers and plan on the map screen.

2nd up is the actual 1st contact following the previous vid, was well planned and executed and from a good position. i tried to bring the map up a few times to show positions. you can see that there seems to be a fair ammount of confusion, and everyone moves up at different times. this has been improved due to splitting teams. however it would be a lot easier if the commander could actually draw on the map, that side of things is very clunky from the game developer.

3rd vid shows the continuing takeover of the town, think ppl were enjoying this, see the enthusiastic attack of the enemy chopper :D . check out the line we have at 5:40, the pendulum movement looked to be going pretty well until the town became clear. and no i wasnt going rambo on the artillery pieces, it was just recon ok xD :P

4th vid. i apoligise i forgot who was the commander for this one but they did another great plan for the next town. please note that if someone is planing markers on the map, they are likely to be at the NEXT target :) i missed capping most of this mission, but it just went too fast, i think because the markers were on the map, everyone seemed to just run through them all straight into the town. this meant that almost all of team bravo was dead at one point. the result of the quick attack was that there was lots of troops in the town when we got there, which provided a different experience than usual.

Edited by PANiC