Spartans Home

Announcing: Sparta Tactical Domination Nights: UPDATED

Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

only problem i have with grass is that i have to roll around the floor like an idiot for a few minutes to flatten it down so i can see anything through my scope :D

have to play a bit more cautiously, but didn't have any more problems than usual apart from the rest of the team leaving me on my own a couple of times haha. having said that i was using the DMR scope, maybe ppl with less zoom had bigger issues.

/edit - given the choice, i would probably turn grass off.

Edited by PANiC

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only problem i have with grass is that i have to roll around the floor like an idiot for a few minutes to flatten it down so i can see anything through my scope :D

have to play a bit more cautiously, but didn't have any more problems than usual apart from the rest of the team leaving me on my own a couple of times haha. having said that i was using the DMR scope, maybe ppl with less zoom had bigger issues.

/edit - given the choice, i would probably turn grass off.

Yeah, when it comes down to it, it's all personal preference really, and there are no cons with that!

lol zeno. Before I had to leave, I told Custard to tell you to use it! As for the grass, I turn it on sometimes during regular dom because it looks more real and challenging. That being said, it was really cool during one of the night missions looking for the enemy by their muzzle flashes. Very spot on. If we could get the grass to stop enemy from seeing through, it would be perfect, although I didn't notice any enemy spot me when I was buried deep last night.

We'll definately use the C-130 more often, possibly when MH get's the new version of Dom enacted. I'm looking at using the C-130 exclusively for some towns, with "pathfinders" paradropping in ahead of time to take out AA. That's a little ways out, though.

Ported over my map last night by the way, will upload it to my Dom. thread soon.

Also, I hate that I missed the C-130 drop. :(

Edited by MH6

Ported over my map last night by the way, will upload it to my Dom. thread soon.

Also, I hate that I missed the C-130 drop. :(

Oh, there will be others, definately. The hard part is just taxiing the damn thing. It's almost impossible to get it turned around and back on the runway, but I figure by the time pilots get it turned around, it'll be time to move to the next town. :)

Was certainly... interesting.

For me, and a few others COMMS is a big issue. It needs sorting out. I personally think the Channel Commander option causes more problems than it's worth. Whispers are a lot more practical.

Great that we're trying different stuff though, keep up the good work.

Have you (as a group) tried using a separate channel for the commanders. The things is using channel commander the commander is going to be hearing both the command talk and the unit chatter at the same time

I understand that the squad chatter could be reduced, but if the squad is engaging I don't think it's fair on them or the squad leader for them to stop talking because channel commander is being used.

If there was a Global text message to Squad leaders to go to the command channel, then they would just need to hole up some where and change channel on TS, then switch back when the command stuff was finished. This way the squad can still use comms if they are engagin, or are engaged.

But I remember comms being a problem even back when we were playing GR1 Dai.

Just my 2 pence.

I dont know what happened on comms this week but the week before it seemed ok.

As long as Team Leader shouts hold comms to his team or tells commander to hold if in a firefight then it should work ok.

As for grass - if I am sniper I turn it off so it is a fair fight and I can go prone.

If Im assault then I leave it on bcoz it looks better and I will tend to stay crouched over prone and use cover before assaulting.

All would be well if the server always "saw" grass, no matter what the client saw.

In other words, the AI see the grass, not through it.

Could it be a server side setting? Do we need to turn grass to max on the server?

It seems to me that when this game first came out someone was testing the AI and hiding in the grass and it seemed to work at range. That was a single player test, but shouldn't it be the same in multiplayer with AI?

The chopper system worked great. With the first mission, the insertion point was way to hot for a LZ, so having a parachute drop over it was much fun. My opinion about the coms though is that if you start separating people too much, then you lose the fun of being on teamspeak. I like being able to hear everyone. Thats where I get the most laughs out of the night. Being able to understand and hear people, while not losing the fun of talking to everyone is what I want to be the final result.

Having no revive worked like a charm. I got wounded 3-4 times and a medic (Coyote) was always there to get me. I give him a round of applause. I must of made him get into some sticky situations. I say keep with the no revives on Tac Fridays. I know people will not want to have to be flown out to BFE all the time.

This Friday though, I will already volunteer myself to be a commander for assaulting any town Friday. As long as I dont have a panic attack over exams this week.

Panic nice job on the vids. EVEN THOUGH MH6 GOT THE PARTY CHOPPER!!!! MH6 doesn't have the skill to party like I do... JK MH6

Having no revive worked like a charm. I got wounded 3-4 times and a medic (Coyote) was always there to get me. I give him a round of applause. I must of made him get into some sticky situations. I say keep with the no revives on Tac Fridays. I know people will not want to have to be flown out to BFE all the time.

Yea, he worked really hard, could have worked harder tho as I had to give him a couple of mags, which meant he was spending more time shooting that healing :MSNWINK:

Although I love commanding, it's very exhausting. I'm glad others are stepping up to work out plans. One of the first rules of TAC DOM nights is to give respect to the commander and no talking over them, no matter how bad a plan is put in place. It's not life/death, so those who choose to lead will be given the most patience.

For those wishing to command, it's easy. Kind of like coaching American Football. You pick a play, and stick with it or change it if needed. The hardest part is just organizing teams.

As for the fun and cutting up, the TAC DOM nights are designed to be more hardcore than the other nights of the week, where pure tactical play on a company-level is implemented. I don't want to sound like an ass, but there are 6 other nights of the week where we all get to cut up. This is for those who want to play in a more realistic enviornment. We're not quite there just yet, but I can see improvement every week. I'd like to hold some "practices" during the week if you'all are interested. (Don't ask/suggest what should be put into practice yet, as it's just a thought :)

Unfortunately, I won't be around the Friday of the 25th. We're closing on our first house that day, so I suspect I'll be gone for much of the weekend and the following week. During the meantime, though, I'll be working on some new things to bring to the TAC DOM nights.

Remember, tac dom is not about how fast you clear the objective, or how many kills you get. It's goal is to foster more hardcore gaming and to accomplish the mission as a part of a team.

Please all take this with a pinch of salt as I a bit drunk

TOTALLY unimpresed with the sarky comments on TS or text humour ingame this has to stop or I will end it by kicking peeps from game and TS ENDOF.

Being the commander for taking a town sucks balls, NOBODY puts there hand up when asked to be commander but more than a few want an input after somebody else has fronted up. This is BS if the commander asks for volunteers bloody well put your hand up and listen to what he says.

Otherwise shut the fuck up learn how to use comms and have some fun.

On tactical nights from now on if peeps cannot give the commander the time he thinks he needs or otherwise disrupts comms I am going to drag you outa channel and give you one warning then give a ban.

RANT OVER

btw Andrewman I would follow you into hell good job mate, the commander before Andrewman (forgot name sorry) excellent plan poorly executed by us not your fault.

First of all thanks Andrewman and StrongHarm for leading missions.

Thankyou to the spotters for being so patient in setting up the radio tower attacks.

Organising an attack is tough and requires patience from everyone. I find it rewarding to watch the game unfold, and for my part prefer to plan only one step at a time, then adapt each step based on conditions in the AO. But others prefer to set out a more complete gameplan from the outset. when its their turn and they take the initiative we all have to respect them. The pressure to complete the plan is great, the fear of fucking up is great. If we terrorise people who put their hands up to lead they wont want to in future. We all need to help each other and be supportive of the leader.

On a positive note, I found the comms more useful even with everyone in the same channel. When things got out of order it was promptly restored. I thought the use of in game text where conditions allowed it very helpful. I personally cannot deal with to lots of people talking to me simultaneously. Comms is going to be a continual issue when there are 20-30 people, its certainly easier to deal with 5 - 10.

The attacks went well but I think the Mortars are making things too easy. I think we will need to move to veteran mode so that people will cover each other more effectively. I also realise that D30s are the absolute priority for arty missions.

Its a shame the parajumps didnt work this week I was looking forward to trying it. Hopefully it will work next week if we use the domination mission.

I am enjoying not using the MHQs, it improves the game play for me.

Thanks to everyone and MH6 for your hard work in building this excellent map.

Z

i still see the same lone wolf (wolves) going ahead at times which pisses me off a little - anyone can go in on there own and be a hero (or try to be) but its not the point of this at all. My feeling - anyone who does this should not be revived.

in terms of leading i think we can still get the format sorted more quickly so instead of taking 20+ minutes to get teams organised it should only take 10 max and then be heading to next target.

i think there should be steps which everyone becomes familiar with -

1. Head to Extract and re-arm immediatley (a Team Leader to make sure an ammobox has been dropped several minutes earlier so theres no waiting around)

2. Line up together, take a knee and just wait! for the Commander to plan his attack, mark waypoints and then walkover to the line up and break the line up into the teams he wants - direct them to a chopper or whatever transport vehicle. Those ppl just move there and again - just wait and not talk.

3. Commander selects squad leaders and communicates with them.

4. Noone else should talk unless they have to - mark maps or type text - that's it. Only speak unless it's critical. And announce it by saying "Clear Comms!". This means imminent danger / situation critical!

I would say you can talk to your team in bursts if Comander or Squad Leader isnt but again only if necessary to report.

One of the frustrating aspects is how long it seems to take between completing one mission and heading to next - I'm sure we can cut this time down dramatically. Part of that comes from commanding to - you don't need to overcomplicate things - simple instruction is often best.

If you want it more complex then say Alpha head to this waypoint and await further orders, then you update plan at that stage, but not 4 different stages of the assault beforehand or players will get confused.

another thing we should lock all enemy vehicles.

i think at this stage experienced commanders should command so that newer players can see and understand how it works b4 they end up in the deep end. if we have a thread to explain the process they too will understand how to coordinate.

obviously this is still very much a learning process for us - but i know given a little time and tweaking we will have a good system in place. i played the Alpha Squad servers which would regularly have 12-20 ppl in one TS server and missions would last one hour. Comms were clear and quiet, everyone took a knee b4 mission commenced and listened to instructions. Squad leaders kept comms with their team and communicated to Commander - typing was used where ever it could be used instead of speaking and cluttering comms. And......it worked beautifully.

thats my two cents

Edited by Lightspeed

Thanks for your comments, they're more than welcome.

For my part I want to establish a fixed routine for when I command. This will keep people busy all the time. I would like to use scouts more. I look at the map and develop a plan typically involving moving through cover to a vantage point then attacking through that point. But sometimes that point is useless, poor cover, uphill or something else that weakens the attack force. Scouts would quickly identify the best entry points.

I will establish an SOP for when I lead, so that regulars will know what to expect from me. As I said I like to get people in the air and on the move for the next town asap and only establish initial LZ's, then work from there. Given that the LZ's invariably draw enemy, players will often be engaged pretty quick.

Speaking of regulars, we have to accept that people come in with varying degrees of gaming experience so we have to be loose enough to be able to accommodate them, without letting people compromise the overall game.

I have reflected on the mortars and I will not use them anymore when I command. Their ability to drop unlimited rounds onto a target reduces the infantry to mop up, which isnt the point. I think we should move to veteran.

Lightspeed, you and others have suggested allowing only medics to revive players, I am inclined to agree, whilst I am sure this can be scripted we should consider just making it a rule.

Also I like Durkas pilot rule, Pilots are rotated on the hour, so the same guys arent flying all the time. This should give everyone that likes to fly a chance.

List of Rules (to be developed)

No flying of aircraft except as transport or observation.

No MHQ

No Armour (friendly or captured)

No mortars (unless the loadout is limited)

Only medics can revive (anyone can revive a medic though)

Thanks for your comments, they're more than welcome.

For my part I want to establish a fixed routine for when I command. This will keep people busy all the time. I would like to use scouts more. I look at the map and develop a plan typically involving moving through cover to a vantage point then attacking through that point. But sometimes that point is useless, poor cover, uphill or something else that weakens the attack force. Scouts would quickly identify the best entry points.

I will establish an SOP for when I lead, so that regulars will know what to expect from me. As I said I like to get people in the air and on the move for the next town asap and only establish initial LZ's, then work from there. Given that the LZ's invariably draw enemy, players will often be engaged pretty quick.

Speaking of regulars, we have to accept that people come in with varying degrees of gaming experience so we have to be loose enough to be able to accommodate them, without letting people compromise the overall game.

I have reflected on the mortars and I will not use them anymore when I command. Their ability to drop unlimited rounds onto a target reduces the infantry to mop up, which isnt the point. I think we should move to veteran.

Lightspeed, you and others have suggested allowing only medics to revive players, I am inclined to agree, whilst I am sure this can be scripted we should consider just making it a rule.

Also I like Durkas pilot rule, Pilots are rotated on the hour, so the same guys arent flying all the time. This should give everyone that likes to fly a chance.

List of Rules (to be developed)

No flying of aircraft except as transport or observation.

No MHQ

No Armour (friendly or captured)

No mortars (unless the loadout is limited)

Only medics can revive (anyone can revive a medic though)

No mortars? Ah you're killing me. That was the most fun I've had in a while. Also, they don't have infinite ammo. They have 8xHE 8xWP and 8xIllum. That doesn't stop you from dismantling, then redeploying, however. So I think I'll set it up so that once you deploy, you only have about 20 seconds to dismantle it again. If the mortar is deployed for more than 20s, you will not be able to deploy for another 5min. This should hopefully keep people from abusing the 'redeploy to get ammo' bug (I'll admit, I did it too), but still allow you to quickly deploy and dismantle a few times to make sure you have line of sight, a good terrain slope, and can reach the intended target.

To compensate for this change, I think a few more HE rounds would be needed. 16xHE rounds would be enough to take out marked targets but not enough to saturate the entire town (or even a quarter of the town). So that would be 32xHE total for a 2-man mortar team; so equivalent to a single M119 with weak explosives. Thoughts?

Speaking of which, while we did have some good spotting last night for the mortar teams, we also had long periods where no one was communicating with us (though I suppose that's just the nature of artillery). And for those of you who do spot for artillery, please, please acknowledge that the rounds have hit and whether they are on or off target. Some people did this, some people did not. Not being able to see the impact and having no one announce them is both annoying and generally results in ineffective mortar fire.

Edit: And yes, veteran mode would help. I for one am guilty of mortaring spotted troops/emplacements/vehicles on the map without them being relayed by a FO. Generally these have been D-30s though, which I think is the target mortars should be taking out. Once D-30s and other static weapon emplacements are down, mortar teams should pack up and rally with the main squads in my opinion. They can always redeploy closer if further targets requiring artillery are revealed. After all, mortars have a minimum range of 100m.

Edited by MH6

MH6 dont get me wrong, I thought we used the mortars quite effectively yesterday. I used them with a couple of guys before I locked the server and it was great. When the server is public and there are only a few people, the mortars as you have them now are great. A mortar and four men can take a town. But when we are 20-30 there is not a lot left for the infantry to do, which is no fun. If he gets his 24 rounds and thats it, that would be ok. I especially like smoke.

I had a quick test with Luggage and he fired one round which appeared to be smoke and created a large a screen, this is perfect, but we didnt know what round it was, when I tried with Custard illum it provided ineffective cover.

MH6 dont get me wrong, I thought we used the mortars quite effectively yesterday. I used them with a couple of guys before I locked the server and it was great. When the server is public and there are only a few people, the mortars as you have them now are great. A mortar and four men can take a town. But when we are 20-30 there is not a lot left for the infantry to do, which is no fun. If he gets his 24 rounds and thats it, that would be ok. I especially like smoke.

I had a quick test with Luggage and he fired one round which appeared to be smoke and created a large a screen, this is perfect, but we didnt know what round it was, when I tried with Custard illum it provided ineffective cover.

The 'smoke' is Willie Pete a.k.a White Phosphorous. While it could theoretically provide a smoke screen, you wouldn't want to be around it when it went off. Though, I think because of the way it's modeled in the game, you can run through it after detonation and it won't kill you--just don't fire it on top of friendly players.

Edited by MH6

Hey Guys,

I came in late last night, and as a first timer I was trying to understand the "rules" as I went. I liked the tactical night a lot, and thank you for setting it up.

All good stuff; a couple thoughts I had:

-team members need a bit better radio discipline. Maybe the Commander talks, and we squaddies acknowledge by in game text. Other than Command, voice comms should be for critical stuff only such as calling out contacts/immediate threats.

- Squad designations were confusing (Alpha/Bravo). What can we do? Would designating teams by chopper number be useful?

- Can player names be used on the map? It might help the commander round up the strays. He could call them by name and order them back to formation/location.

Overall, I enjoyed it, and look forward to next time!

Hey Guys-

Dropped by for two towns last night - loved MH6s additions to the map.

Overall I think the comms have improved from the first tactical dom night, still room for improvement and I can definitely appreciate Custards concerns.

The two missions I participated in had only about 15 people max, and the comms did seem a bit busy at times...though Im not sure wht can be done, other than for everyone to button it unless they have something important to say.

Again - love what the Spartans are providing here and am happy that I can participate.

Fish

It appears that the server tends to become disorganized by the time most UK/Europe players head for bed which is about the time I get home from work or 1-2 hours after. Im' not sure if they are worn out from the length of time they have played or what.

NCO this may be what you seen last night as I know earlier in the day it runs MUCH more organized.

So what I do when I get there is to let the guys do there thing and just keep the server locked to keep out the boneheads so maybe we need a stopping time but still keep the server locked that way those that want to continue playing as before can.

I can tell ya'll without a doubt that the True Tactical Server players do not play this way and the Leader would punt those that do as it is true bound rebound talk only when needed and ect, If you guys want to play on the TRUE TACTICAL server you had better get a mindset that ANY Bovine Scat would never be tolerated........X-wind we need ya now more than ever.

One last Note: Andrewman all night all I heard was how well you directed these guys....Thank You.

Apologies if anyone thinks my post went too far.

Communicating on TS with everyone in different time zones with some able to hear better than others is hard enough as it is whilst being the commander and having to form a plan etc.

We desparatelly need to speed the transition from finishing up on one town and attacking the next and humorous banter however funny slows this up.

Personally, I had to leave last night as I found it was pure chaos on comms and people were moving about when they had CLEAR instructions of what to do and where to be.

The time I was on I felt truly sorry for the Mission Leaders, they stepped up to the plate and did what most others on the server always shy away from, put their money where their mouth is and tried leading the mission.

They were repaid for their hard efforts with people either dicking about on comms or when they where told to can it, they proceeded to do the same on in game text. In my books that is not only immature but GROSSLY disrespectful.

If anything I felt that last nights gaming, rather than moving forward, as should be the case as, was a regression even from the early days.

Obviously I can only comment on the games I was about for and not what went on before and after.

Custard, no need to apologise my friend, if anything you were rather restrained.

Thanks for your posts NCO and Fish, I can only say to everyone, Sparta and our friends, that we will strive to find a good balance between gameplay and humour, so that we can all enjoy the experience.

The main problem I have is with people moving beyond the designated areas. This happens because when they get there they cannot see anything so the shift position to be more useful. Sometimes its because people are lost. Given this fact a move to veteran would still be unwise. If you feel you need to move beyond your bounds to achieve your assignment you should let the squad leader/commander know

I followed a squad on my planned route and the visibilty was crap, this is why I want to use scouts (unless someone knows the terrain well) I am going to adopt strongharms tactics using mg nests and AT whenever I can.

If you take command you have to accept that your plan will go awry at the first step, assets wont be deployed, engagement will be initiated out of sequence. people will misunderstand their instructions, some will willfully move forward too fast. You just have to deal with it, if you are a squaddie try to move according to the plan, but let your squad leader know if you cannot perform your task, the squad leader should seek permission to redeploy.

Despite these comments I enjoyed myself, but will strive to do better

I have seen a proposal for comms which looks promising.