Spartans Home

Just got ArmA

TargetPractice

My copy of Arma has just arrived and been installed - it's VERSION 1.08.5163 and also contains Queen's Gambit.

I intend to have a nose around and try to familiarise myself a little before joining in the Sparta servers but I did want to ask if there are any essential patches or other add-ons I need to get hold of before I am good to go?

Rob

Best place to practice is on the Evo server. Amo boxes have a range of kit to play with and most of the vehicles and aircraft are usable. Don't worry about cocking anything up in there cos it's all sort outable and most peeps aren't using that server.

Evo is a take all island mission so it pretty much never ends till the reset at weekend.

No setup required jump in anytime you want if I am on TS I will join you.

The missions we do as long as you are patient there is no reason why you couldn't join those either bud as it will help you learn the game and have a lotta fun.

Well, thanks to X-Wind, Halli and the others who I joined on server 2 for a few missions yesterday, I really enjoyed it and didn't feel completely out of my depth though as soon as it kicks off I know i am gonna die pretty quickly. Love the tension and the feel of the game and look forward to more.

I just remembered that I wanted to ask what was involved in getting custom face paint for my Arma character? I can see that this helps a lot in quickly identifying team members when name tags are not available. I recall someone online saying that you should have two profiles, one with face paint, one without as some servers don't like the custom faces but wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction for getting set up with a custom face.

I just remembered that I wanted to ask what was involved in getting custom face paint for my Arma character? I can see that this helps a lot in quickly identifying team members when name tags are not available. I recall someone online saying that you should have two profiles, one with face paint, one without as some servers don't like the custom faces but wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction for getting set up with a custom face.

I was sure a how to was posted in this forum but I've searched and can't find it I will look on Armaholic

Cobol and snowshoe use custom faces it they are on ts when you are

Have enjoyed the games on server 2 this week when I have been on though Bountyhunters was a PITA last night wasn't it with the crashing and kit resets, etc? At least I managed to hit a few targets in the Liberation game. Often times when I am scoped in the enemy figures are like watching a flickbook as they jerk around the screen (is this common for those of you playing from the UK due to our dodgy pings) giving me little faith that I will hit anything that's not either static or moving directly towards me.

I need to do some reading up on scope compensation for altitude, distance, etc too or maybe find someone to give me a quick explanation in-game.

Am out tonight and tomorrow but hopefully there'll be some ARMA action on Sunday.

Have enjoyed the games on server 2 this week when I have been on though Bountyhunters was a PITA last night wasn't it with the crashing and kit resets, etc? At least I managed to hit a few targets in the Liberation game. Often times when I am scoped in the enemy figures are like watching a flickbook as they jerk around the screen (is this common for those of you playing from the UK due to our dodgy pings) giving me little faith that I will hit anything that's not either static or moving directly towards me.

I need to do some reading up on scope compensation for altitude, distance, etc too or maybe find someone to give me a quick explanation in-game.

Am out tonight and tomorrow but hopefully there'll be some ARMA action on Sunday.

Yea ArmA is such an enormously complex piece of code it certainly pushes the technology envelope and can be a bit eccentric. Certain disciplines and learned behaviors will help minimize these frustrations but sometimes things just line up against us and Murphy owns the moment....but just the moment.

Bounty Hunters has been successfully run several times and requires ONE key discipline.

- Select your kit once and leave it be.

Shuffling about in the group screen prior to mission launch guarantees a disastrous start as was witnessed yesterday. Added to that was my HDD crashing and you just have to shake it off and keep moving.

No worries though.....we all live and learn. We will be around today, tomorrow and next week trying to improve the experiences of those that enjoy this genre.

Regarding long range shooting......practice and lots of it. There are Boot Camp and Sniper Range missions that can be run on your local machine to assist in improving your skills when not in the heat of battle and there's always folks around to help out in between missions. Trying to hit a moving target is extremely difficult under the best of conditions.

I don't think the stuttering is so much tied to the absolute ping value as it is to dynamic changes in ping (eg DSL connections like mine) along with very high amounts of activity on a large map like Liberation. I have a relatively low ping and see the same stuttering that everyone else sees. Smaller maps with localized activity is the best way to manage it currently. ArmA II will support multiple core technology and we have high hopes that this phenomena will be minimized.

We have heard reports where certain combinations of rigs and connections makes it difficult for the game to sync but this is difficult if not impossible to prove and/or eliminate.

Games like ArmA are a marathon, not a sprint and sometimes the gratification isn't immediate.

Keep the faith, practice the skills you aspire to be good at and join us whenever you can.

Always good to see you.

Cheers