Spartans Home

ARMA - PLAY FORMAT (none evo)

Zebb

I know that a few of our guys are having stability issues right now which must be ruining the experience for them and it would be great to get them squared away before we try to move on.

Maybe we should try to organise our mission nights so that we agree on a day and time to begin a certain pre-arranged mission and everyone who wants to play it and can make it turn up on TS 15-30 minutes before the agreed time, then once we have started the mission there is no join in progress, only very limited revives (1-3) and we give it a good shot to get it completed.

If you want we can agree on a time limit after the mission starts ie 5 or 10 minutes during which time if one of our regular guys turns up and wants to join we can restart it just the once and after that "sorry but your too late", but you guys can decide if you want that or not, personally I would rather not but it could be done.

Because the map will be known before we go in we can agree on a basic assault plan for the insertion and who is going to do what role and assign team pairs, then in TS before we start we can organise the squads into separate channels, whispers, commanders etc so that as soon as the map starts we are good to go, that's why trying to have a JIP after we have started can be a bit disruptive.

What do you think? :cheers:

I agree, there needs to be a list of tactical ideas/ elements that can be used in part to make

the coop mode more demanding. At the moment it's a fun feast.

Ideas,

NO JIP (after announced start time) 5mins in

NO RESPAWN in any mission

NO REVIVE (or 1 only)

MANDATORY MISSION planning

TIME LIMITED GAME

SPECIAL SMALL MISSION

BRIEFING.

MY game runs fine it has only crashed once i have both Arma and Queens Gambit, from shop bought disc's. :D :allgood:

And i am not running any mods or sound packs with either games. I dont know if this is giving you guy's issues. :excl:

I have also noticed when anyone trys to join the server we all seems to get the yellow/red chain coming up. :unsure:

Edited by Snowshoe

Sounds like a great idea to get it to a challenging point for missions, Leaving the AI at regular ATM but limit the spawns or revives. Personally with team medics you don't need more than say one revive.

Now how about Coop CTI occasionally also, Place the bitch Snowflake as your commander and i tell ya ... Ya better work and pull your weight or you won't get any toys to play with, She is excellent commander and expects you all to work as a team but place the AI on Super mode. (This is what we all were playing back at BDA)

Talk to Floyd about the games there he will fill you in, as he participated previously when OFP was the biggest game at BDA with full servers regular as clockwork. Mission running is also a hit when you get the big hard ones like CO-24's + but you need a good team to beat these ones with no respawns or revives.

Reason for CTI ... You will get other players who are hardcore joining for CTI, It's no walk in the park like Evo and teamwork is a must in both defense and attack. Yeah shit, hey you have to defend as well as attack and on top of that don't kill your gear as it costs your whole team to acquire it. This can be frustrating early on in the game when expenditure is tight, as you need a lot of funding to build the Aircraft assembly buildings. Attack choppers cost a heap as well, some players are good at setting traps and can steal the enemy equipment as well.

CTI is probably the best Coop as you have to seek and destroy your enemy base to win, and as you know the map is huge. Once you have a grip on this in coop, Team vs Team CTI is the WTG.

Snowshoe, my post about the gaming issues was in reply to Medics comments in Durkas previous post, and the connection issues is one that is known about and may be corrected in the next patch if they release it ( http://www.legionofspartans.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=2448 )

What we are trying to establish now is whether enough people are interested in getting some team coordinated missions organised or are we going to divide into two factions, each playing their own preferred style of Arma?

I don't want anyone to feel that they have to play in a way that they don't feel comfortable or enjoy.

Viiiper, another server rule should be:

Dead people don't talk on TS except to announce that you have been hit, after that silence.

Personally I prefer having no time limit but maybe there should be a maximum running time for each mission unless you are about to complete it and everyone still alive agrees to finish it?

Great idea Zebb. I would love to join a nice, structured mission with one commander and a plan. Only thing is, the only times that we decide to meet at a certian time, for some reason that's the ONLY time I can't make it, lol. That, or the mission takes way too long and I have to run or something. That's my only concern. That's speaking for myself of course, but I would love to play a mission like that.

Maybe a suggestion, and I'm just thinking here, if the mission & objectives were posted a couple of days earlier, and then the 'commander' were to post a screenshot of the map with his/her strategy, things might go a little more smoothly? It's a thought at least :)

Lol, I know what you mean mate I make these posts but it doesn't mean I will be available for every mission and why I thought giving a maximum time for each mission so that we have a rough idea of when it's going to end. :)

That was my original idea when I said "pre-arranged mission" so that people could take a look at the map on their own first if they wanted to get orientated and some basic inte,l and for the mission leader to post up his initial plan and orders for what roles he thinks we will need, then people could take whichever slot they fancied and make any suggestions before we got started and save time once we are in the mission.

If you want we can agree on a time limit after the mission starts ie 5 or 10 minutes during which time if one of our regular guys turns up and wants to join we can restart it just the once and after that "sorry but your too late", but you guys can decide if you want that or not, personally I would rather not but it could be done.

I am a bit confused here and I have some questions on the ideas presented so far. I am not trying to be difficult, I am just confused.

What do we define as a regular? If it is between missions or rounds why can't a newb join?

I have joined the missions server a couple of times. As a complete newb, I had no idea what to expect. The first time I was ignored, but there was a major battle going on so maybe I wasn't heard. The no join during missions to an objective would cure that problem.

I didn't know I was not supposed to give information after being killed... I didn't see it anywhere. But alot of us were doing so I thought I was doing the right thing. I won't next time.

I tried to stay with the group so I could see the tactics being used. This became difficult at times as none were giving me any direction. I finally left.

The last time I joined a game I was with Zebb and we had a good time but little success with 2 of us against a large heavily armed enemy.. I think the smallest patrol was 10 guys. lol

I have since been playing on the EVO server which has enhanced my understanding of the tools available and how to deploy them.

I think EVO is a fantastic "introductory/training" mission map. It requires use of most assets.

In closing I have some ideas I would like to present.

If we have enought veteran players then keep it simple.

If we want to have "match" nights then post the rules, which nights, which server and what mission.

Not following the rules gets a warning first time, boot second time... we don't have to make it complicated. If all know what to expect then there will be no problem.

It is ambiguity that frustrates people. Also too many rules frustrate people. It needs to be direct and simple.

We need to just create a simple set of rules for a set group of nights on a set server.

Ok... I am off my soap box... I guess I am frustrated.

No ambiguity Zath' all we are trying to do is find out if we have enough people to organise structured mission nights where we will start pre planned maps on "veteran" level at a certain time and anyone who wants to join is welcome as long as they understand the rules we are working out right now including no join in progress once we are further than 5 minutes into the mission (one JIP only no second join) So people could join after the mission has ended but I envisage that they will have a long wait and most people will have had enough by that time and leave anyway.

This will mean that in theory everyone who joins will have read all the relevant info posted in the forum leading up to the mission, they will know what the plan is and what their role is going to be in that plan.

By the first mission all the rules will have been finalised so there will be no excuse for breaking any of them but since this was only posted today nothing has been decided so feel free to post any ideas you may have..

This thread is for NONE EVOLUTION

The idea is to make a hard core (OGR) styled game server, where you can play real military

tactics and maneuvers. The thread is about that and how to eliminate the disruption of JIP

or respawn, basically, like a battlefield DEAD is DEAD make a coffee, watch the show,

Revive to 1, if your buddy can get to you.

EVOLUTION is totally different, this is NOT for EVOLUTION

hope it's clearer.

Not giving information post-death only truly works in a no-respawn server/mission. If you are going to respawn like you can on the EVO server then I, personally, dont care. Not that my vote, by itself, counts.

As far as the Mission oriented, single respawn style goes, comms discipline is a must.

I know this NOT for evo.

Some of the idea's presented were making the server for Veteran players only.

My suggestion was using evo to help train new players on what assets are available in the game and how to use them.

Single player can show you alot, but it doesnt help you learn coordnation with other players. Evo can do that.

After that we could expand that training into tactical requirements to keep you and your unit alive on a server set to veteran.

Thank you for your clarification Zebb & Viiiper. ;)

Playing EVO solely can lead to a lot of bad habits. It's like learning to shoot a firearm from a red-neck neighbor and then going into law enforcement or the military, you have to unlearn all of those bad habits before you can begin learning the hardcore way to do things.

The same theory can be applied to this game and any other tactical game. (As well as other situations. Driving, playing sports, etc.)

The upside is, that this being so, we do have really smart and capable members who I am sure would figure out what is different and change their habits and make it good. Personally, my 'lone-wolf' style is useless in missions, but I know this and will change methods accordingly.

All in all it is a personal thing. And we are all responsible people here, so it shouldnt be a problem.

All points and observations strike me as valid.

I would humbly suggest moving this out of the abstract and onto the battle field.

Plan/Schedule a small (1-2 hour) mission that could be accomplished with 3-5 folks but can quickly/easily be adapted for many more.

Take the plan into battle and learn experientially..

Follow up with an after action briefing to objectively analyze what went right......what may need adjustment.

The word of great experiences gleaned from such missions will spread and others may like to join in the next one.

The frustration will dissipate as this evolves but lack of action...........

Let's Go...

User posted image

Edited by X-Wind~SPARTA~

To be honest, in reality, planing takes time, it's done by men that are sometimes not even there,

In game that luxury does not exist, Pre ops, mission planning with Squads, I guess around 5 - 15 minutes

Trying to aim for total mission times of 2-3Hrs tops so everyone can have a life.

Just a thought.

As long as everyone going in, is one the same page & knows their positions on objectives,

Comms is kept as clean as possible (no channel clutter) then I'd say, it's good to go.

Lets get going on this.

We need a day, a time and a map

I am thinking Friday or Saturday after GRNet crouch only winds down.

We need a map so we can study it beforehand, some of us need time to get things clear in our brains. It would be great if one of the more experienced players would lead.

Remember the rules:

NO JIP (after announced start time) 5mins in

NO RESPAWN in any mission

NO REVIVE (or 1 only)

MANDATORY MISSION planning

TIME LIMITED GAME

SPECIAL SMALL MISSION

BRIEFING.

Tight Comms no jibber jabber

No talking at all when killed

First who is interested

Viiiper

Zebb

Zeno

you know the routine copy and paste the list adding your name.

Lets get going on this.

First who is interested

Viiiper

Zebb

Zeno

X-Wind

you know the routine copy and paste the list adding your name.

Edited by X-Wind~SPARTA~

• 2 weeks later...

As you may of noticed, this is getting better (not perfect but better), regular missions FRI & SAT

Low numbers/ JIP ON High numbers JIP OFF

Thanks to Zebb, Dai-san & Seven especially (and anyone I forgot) for the military intel &

ideas. For the first time I'm starting to really love this game in comparison to what's available.

Ideas always welcome & hopefully FRI & SAY can become a very regular event.

viii

P.S. True Ranger AI is now ON & Durg's Veg fix, happy hunting :allgood: