Spartans Home

New Monitor

New Monitor

The Vizio SV47LF features a 120Hz refresh rate.

(Credit: Vizio)

Anyone who's purchased an HDTV is aware that manufacturers are always trying to persuade buyers to purchase the higher-end models. The most popular step-up feature over the past few years has been 1080p resolution--despite the fact that it's not much better than 720p--but now that 1080p has become passe, 120Hz refresh rate is one of the newest buzz terms. Not to be left out of the feature wars, Vizio has announced a new line of 1080p LCDs featuring 120Hz technology, called the "Black Tie" series, which includes the 42-inch SV42LF and the 47-inch SV47LF.

On top of just having a faster refresh rate, these new sets also include de-judder processing, which Vizio refers to as MEMC (Motion Estimation, Motion Compensation). De-judder processing has the effect of smoothing out some of the jerkiness that often occurs on slow panning shots, although not everyone likes the effect--some complain that it makes film have a "video" look. The connectivity of these sets is highlighted by four HDMI inputs, two of which are located on the side. These side HDMI inputs are considered "Game Ports," for easily connecting hi-def game consoles like the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3. Vizio did not mention if these series will include a "game mode" that bypasses video processing, which some gamers desire because it reduces lag time.

The new SV42LF and SV47LF are scheduled to be released in July 2008 with list prices of $1,500 and $1,900, respectively.

IPB Image

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Well I hope my 65" is repaired very soon. I have paid $500 and still ain't fixed. So time for new TV also if things don't straighten up.

Thanks, I have been looking at HDTV's alittle just incase. Vizio is one of the prospects. Sony is my #1 choice.

Ya Hoss I hear ya. If its a projection type, The electron gunns are Liquid cooled and once one goes out well its $$$$$ to fix it. Well big problem with big LCDs is that they will not go real high in frame rates. The one above will go as high as the 22"monitor, and do it in high deff

• 2 months later...

22" or 24" ?

Who has what and why? Thanks for your input guys!

I have my eyes on one of the Samsung 22" monitors but am considering to buy 24".

Samsung has most 22" with a response time of 2 ms (vs 5ms from other manufacturors and bigger monitors), does that really make a (significant) difference?

Inimigo out.

22" or 24" ?

Who has what and why? Thanks for your input guys!

I have my eyes on one of the Samsung 22" monitors but am considering to buy 24".

Samsung has most 22" with a response time of 2 ms (vs 5ms from other manufacturors and bigger monitors),

does that really make a (significant) difference?

Inimigo out.

I use a 24" monitor (LCD) the reason I wanted it was for the native max resolution, I wanted

1920x1200 which is native to the true 24" monitors. 22" monitors normally all have a

1650x1050 which is less.

24" is 1200 pixel down, which is equivalent to 1200 lines.

The other aspect about 24" true monitors is the pixel count is higher because it's 1920x1200.

but there are some cheaper ones that are not native 1920x1200 and use bigger pixels, be careful.

24" does look sweet. It's aspect ration is 16:10 (TV's are normally 16:9)

viii

p.s. My response time is 12mS and I have no problems playing games, but It is the top Dell.

mine is 2405, but this is the newer one.

http://www.visionaid.co.uk/product_view.php?pid=140001

I have Samsung 20", 22" and 24". The 24" is the best, followed by the 20" then the 22". I Also have a 36" Samsung HD TV.

I run the 22"and the 24" side by side in a dual monitor setup, it is there you see how wonderful the 24" is, brighter and Sharper. The price has come down so the 24" is not as ludicrously expensive as it used to be.

Mine is the Syncmaster 245B.

I was told Sony do not make their own LCD's but infact they are from Samsung anyway.

excellent, many thanks for the replies.

Since the Samsung 245B is ? 319, I may go for that one.

Still going to look up reviews and all and will let you guys know.

Zeno, do you experience any "ghosting" or lag somehow?

Response time for this monitor is 5 ms vs 2ms for all the 22" from Samsung, that's why the question.

be careful with response times, the 2 - 5 ms times are often for grey to grey and the 20+ms times are for black to black (I am not an expert though).

I am very happy with my 245b I get a nice clear and large image for gaming with no ghosting.

Good luck

I have to comment, here is where you pay your extra money,

My Dell 2405 is 12mS gray to gray and the electronics are so good, I have never experienced

any ghosting nor image disruption. These new monitors are mis describing there specs within legal

terms example:

long time ago, Music amplifiers messured their output power in RMS (Root mean squared) to the ohms of

the loading device, in effect the output power was directly related to the resistance of the speakers connected.

example 100 watts RMS into 8 ohms speakers, is not the same as 100Watts into 4 ohms

Because equipment was so expensive to create the magical 100Watts per channel into 8 ohms speakers

(the std for true HiFI buffs), the developed a new term for the public "MUSIC POWER"

Now music power is a measure of output power by the amount of sound the system makes, so they could

express they output, still in WATTS but have a higher reading because they would use speakers of low resistance.

100 Watts PMP (peak music power), but now listing it in adverts as 100 WATTS per channel !

MY POINT

Thats my point, if you do not hunt out the truth, they will sell you 2mS monitor t5hat has circuitry that can not

deliver 20mS and it then ghosts, don't be fooled, todays 2mS 5mS etc is not the reaction of the pixel from the

industry standard of BLACK to BLACK but of an adaptation, to sell cheap monitors.

viii

I actually have another small question (seen the size of my desk), how far do you guys sit away from your monitor?

I'm afraid I'll sit too close, if I buy a 24" one.

I sit about 2 to 2 1/2 feet back max when I'm on my PC. I don't regret buying the 24" I'm not sure of the differences between the 245bw and 245bw+ but I'm guessing its a great monitor still.

At work I have 2, 19" Dell LCD's and I set back about 20 inches. Not a problem at that distance either.

Edited by THS_Tritonb

I sit about 60cm away (24 inches), but the monitor is about 40cm (16inches) from the edge of my desk

I have no problems, it looks so sweet. If you get 22 or 24 makes no difference to distance, a old

glass (CRT) monitor is 10x worse than LCD. Only the size of the display changes not the light, you can turn

down the display & you can not get a sun tan, it's Light emitting Crystal. not an electron beam & glowing

phosphor like CRT (where the old wives tales comes from about sitting too near to a display).

p.s. Also they are NONE INTELACED, that was the other problem with old CRT monitors that were interlaced &

you could see the flicker. OLD DAYS , OLD WAYS, They now make monitors that fit to your glasses & are 1CM

from your EYES ! (1/2 inch).

If I could I would go 30" But I don't have the room & I'd have to set desktop to dark blue because white would

be like a sun lamp. :lol:

3000:1 dynamic contrast.

There's the clue, Dynamic contrast (FAKE shit) True contrast is 500:1, not so impressive as 3000,000,000. :P

thanks all for the comments.

I went for the 245B+ and will be able to test it this weekend only (CRAP :P) because of the move.

Will let you know what I think of it.

Took a pixel warranty (only 2 weeks) sothat even 1 dead/lazy pixel would allow me to return it and get a brand new one instantly.

About dead/lazy pixels, you have it from the beginning, or not at all right? It's not that yr monitor works fine for a couple of weeks/months and then a pixel like that can appear?