Spartans Home

World Community Grid - Lets be the best

CoBoL~SPARTA~

Ok I have created a Legion Of Sparta Community Grid Team, with all the members here's let see if we can be the best. We must have many members here that leave there computer on doing nothing for periods of time, I know I do. So why not put that spare computer power to good use. And lets earn them points, and do some good.

Grid Computing: The Basics

Grid computing joins together many individual computers, creating a large system with massive computational power that far surpasses the power of a handful of supercomputers. Because the work is split into small pieces that can be processed simultaneously, research time is reduced from years to months. The technology is also more cost-effective, enabling better use of critical funds.

spacer.gif

Changing Our World Now

Grid computing is not a futuristic technology. World Community Grid is at work right now applying this technology to exciting research projects that can benefit us all.

Our first project, Human Proteome Folding, is identifying the proteins produced by human genes. With this information, scientists can understand how defects in proteins can cause disease, making it easier to find cures.

In 2003, with grid computing, in less than three months scientists identified 44 potential treatments to fight the deadly smallpox disease. Without the grid, the work would have taken more than one year to complete.

To Join Team Sparta Just Click The Link Below, And lets get them points going.

Get The Software

Then Join The Team

Join Team Sparta

Come on guys it ill be fun, even just to say the Spartan Team Helped To Save The Planet, Or cured cancer.

No Stats yet, let get them computer buzzing and show the world the power we have at our finger tips

Capture-7.jpg

Yeah, this is neat :)

I had to figure out a couple of settings to have it to work, because my media center PC is a low wattage machine single processor, but is alwayys ON. However if you have multiple Users on your computer, the BOINC manager does not start if you do not log in with the admin account.

So, my MCPC is usually on, but no user is logged in because I just connect to it remotely from other machines, or in case I am in the living room to watch a movie, I log in as a low lwvel user (which was not starting the BOINC app).

Using Task Schedule I found a way to set a task at startup, launching the app without being logged in, and this allows the system to work completely unattended :)

@ Halli:

This program is Safe.

it is better you check the "Options" on the BOINC manager to set the program behaviour. i noticed it install by default with a setting asking the program to work while the computer is in use, which is something as a gamer we DO NOT want.

Also, you can tune up how much processor will be dedicated to the activity.

First of all I disabled the "work all the time" option, so theoretically the process get activated only during idle conditions.

test if the system works correctly for you. If you are using this on your main gaming PC, be sure it doesnt engage during your games. it will stress the CPU badly and will ruin your gaming performances.

If you feel is something you don t like, because you are losing performances on oter things you do, either you install this program on a spare PC or just don t use it.

Yeah I set it to 80% Cpu and will suspend (snooze) during gaming.

I will have to wait and see what my light bill is before I really know if I can run my system during the day while I'm at work.

On the Sparta Stats page it shows no Update on me... At 0% when it ran all day yesterday, oh well it got cold last night and this will help heat the room!!!

• 2 weeks later...

how cool !! I didn t check the stats on this in a while, and i just discovered my machine has been way lazy !!

I m gonna kick its ass when i get back from office today, tonite go to sleep without videogames and grounded for 2 weeks !!

.. and most importantly, I have to figure out why is not running in automatic :).....

• 2 years later...