Spartans Home

BEST BUY hits UK

A while back, probably early last Fall, Circuit City here in town closed down. I got some amazing deals at their 75% off sale. Anyways, Best Buy is replacing them. I have always preferred BB of CC. Looking forward to some decent PC hardware as well. BB in this area has always had a far better selection of replacement hardware. Even better than the local PC resale shop.

Congrats on moving up in the world UK.

Halli - this is progress?

Bestbuy has many things but if your looking for the Extreme Gamer components you may only find top mid range down as far as

Video card ect. but I would imagine that would depend on the market share in that area.

They have full selections of DVD's/BL movies,music and ect I bought my Samsung T220 from there.

I would say yes it's an improvment.....Now I need to go find a boat. http://www.newschannel5.com/

You all need to stop shopping at such a horrible store and switch to a good store. Like TigerDirect. Great prices and great customer service, although I'm not sure if the shipping is worth the savings when going international.

Edited by Yoshi

Bestbuy is a fine store but they do push thier warrenty to the manufacturer but that's fine as they give you at least 7 days so if it's bad then take it back but if you purchased a part and held on to it before using then it's bad it will be a pain.

My local bestbuy has everything a person would need to build a PC and is 50,000 square feet ( 4,645.152 square metres) or bigger.

Bestbuy has many things but if your looking for the Extreme Gamer components you may only find top mid range down as far as

Video card ect. but I would imagine that would depend on the market share in that area.

They have full selections of DVD's/BL movies,music and ect I bought my Samsung T220 from there.

I would say yes it's an improvment.....Now I need to go find a boat. http://www.newschannel5.com/

I was camping out in that storm. :o

I think a point has been missed:

Real Shops are real & online shops offer prices but not viewing except on a virtual site like youtube.

We like shops in the UK good & Bad as it creates competition.

Many UK electrical shops now offer reserve online & pickup which is great...

You can check stock too.... real stock not some online virtual stock that takes your money and makes you wait.

We will report back as BB spreads...

Best Buy is fine. It has its ups and downs. For a walk-in store as Viii has mentioned, it is fine. I enjoy the heck out of walking around and checking stuff out. For a fast buy, I will buy there or CompUSA (Yes, it went out of business, but has been back in business since TigerDirect's parent company bought the rights to the name and used it as an outlet store for TD until recently. Now it is a distinct entity from TD, but for awhile prices were virtually the same, as were the websites but for the Logo), so BB is not bad if you are in a hurry. Sometimes there is something to be said for instant gratification at a only slightly greater cost.

Enjoy when you can get to one Viii.

I got caught in Atlanta a few years ago needing an extra memory card for my camera. Since I needed high performance cards, and I wasn't about to pay a hundred bucks for a cheap one, I was really glad there was a BestBuy around that carried Sandisk Extreme III's. Turns out I didn't use the card, but was glad they were there when I was in a pinch. Now, I hope someone doesn't tell me that ExtremeIII's are no good :lol:

It's a fine store. No more, no less.

It started years ago as a stereo store in Minneapolis, called "The Sound of Music."

I know this because my old boss used to work there. It started growing back in the 80s, when they called my old boss back to work for him and offered him the VP of marketing job, along with being the corporate pilot.

I'd be a rich and famous BB exec if he hadn't died about 3 months into the gig due to stress in his mid 40s. Or I'd be dead for the same reasons.

Unfortunatel,y the local independent PC parts shop doesn't here have a good selection AT ALL due to online retailers like newegg and tigerdirect. They simply cannot afford to compete at their prices and they know it, which leads to a very small selection of low end gear and rarely, some mid level parts. What this particular shop excels at is connectors, wires, and some weird shit you never thought you'd need, but when you do, they probably have it. Even their HDD prices are a bit high because when they do buy stuff, such as HDDs, they buy in bulk and then have to charge the price well after the model is obsolete or old. It's good for the people in town that either don't know or they don't care and will pay whatever.

It is only large chains such as BestBuy that can compete with the online retailers because they do their own distribution from the manufacturers instead of paying for a distributor.

Personally, I'd love to open a distribution house for two major retail areas: firearms et al. and high end electronics including PC parts. It would be nice to be able to pay cost for new toys. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Tiger direct is a real store you can walk into. They have bought out comp usa and all of the entire chain has the same prices as tiger. Worst buy make me want to throw up thinking about them.

A few years ago I went in to worst buy to get a new tv. I was looking at a 32" So the wife and i chased off the little kidds that were drooling on the screen of the one we were looking at so we could see the desplay model. It had little kidd droll on it and was covered in finger prints and looked like it had been kicked around a bitt. So I called the sales clown(Person) over to buy the tv. I said we will take one of these ones. So he proceeds to unplug and slide the desplay model out with the fresh little kidd drool still on it. I said wait one minute son, what the hell you doing? Oh he says ,we don't have anymore of these in stock so you have to buy this one. And I said I don't think so there "son" If I have to buy that one, you will have to give it to me for free. Becouse it looks like its been thru ww2. He says well we don't have anymore of these and we only had 2 for the nationwide advertised sale paper that went out nation wide 2 days ago. That pritty well pist me off so off i went to never to return. Drove 5 miles over to Comp usa and got a good tv cheaper and it was in stock in the new fresh box with no little kidd drool on it.

Then a few years later after learning my first lession with WORST BUY, forgetting that bad experence from before and I went there again looking for a car stereo for my wifes jeep becouse the factory one screwed up. I saw a sales add showing massive car stereo sale at good old WORST BUY. So strolled on down there and went in to the car stereo dept. The 12 year old kidd sales clown(person) said they diden't have any of those in stock even thow the sales add in the news paper had a mega sale on the model. SO that pist me off and I left that store to really never ever to come back there again. I went to SEARS and they had more stereos in different makes and at a better price. SO lession learned again really good that time. That was 10 years ago.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~