Spartans Home

Le Sigh

Morgan

Its time... to post an apology for leaving as I did back in September. Sparta was very good to me, and you all deserved more consideration.

Everything came to a head for me when the eye doc told me I couldnt play games for a year or more and that id have to wear an eye patch on my left eye for several months after my surgery.

Fast forward a few months and I am mostly recovered with some exceptions, but I am left feeling like a complete dumbass for not handling my exit better.

You guys rock and I am delighted beyond words to see that Sparta has been doing so well.

/salute

So, I'm sorry guys, you deserved better... best of luck with everything.

EDIT: I am referring to my sudden and hasty exit without explanation. I should have been more forthcoming, but at the time I just wanted to get it over with and move onto the surgery/recovery.

Edited by Morgan

Hmm.. Frightening is a good word for it. I have about 80% vision in my left eye, but my depth perception is shot to hell. Waking up one day with little or no sight in an eye is a hell of a wake up call.

Thanks for understanding though Zeno.. very gracious of you.

Edited by Morgan

Good to see you about Morgan, not good news about your eyesite wish you some better luck with that.

Cus

BTW A good medic with bad eyes is better than a bad one with 20/20, if ACE2 sort themselves out and we get some better mission you can get my back, you allways did good with Arma.

Thanks everyone, for the kind wishes, I appreciate it more than you can imagine.

I finally got the 1.05 patch to install... my Win7 machine didnt like the original .zip file download..kept erroring out during patch installation...finally figured out the exe file inside the original .zip file was actually a self-extracting archive...once I got that open and ran the actual patch file it worked pretty well.

Did a test connect to the Sparta UK server and I even remembered most of the commands. Having some minor issues with depth perception in and around vehicles and the gear crates, but hopefully that will get better.

I can only try the slower moving tactical games but if you need an extra hand on a mission I would like to join in and see how it goes.

Good to have you back bud! You might want to do some AW2 med as well. Glad the eye worked out allmost ok. You will improve.

Sadly Ath, my JO days are done... I wish it was different. That game moves so fast I just cant keep up with what I am seeing and I'm pretty sure it contributed to the decline of my sight.

In a world full of shooters I really suck at, JO was one I was pretty damned decent at... kind like you rule in GRAW..hahah

I gave my JO discs to a neighbor and wished him well...:)

Sadly Ath, my JO days are done... I wish it was different. That game moves so fast I just cant keep up with what I am seeing and I'm pretty sure it contributed to the decline of my sight.

In a world full of shooters I really suck at, JO was one I was pretty damned decent at... kind like you rule in GRAW..hahah

I gave my JO discs to a neighbor and wished him well...:)

I remember reading the review for the original JO in Computer Gaming World (now defunct), and I was floored by the idea of such a huge game with huge maps accommodating so many players at one time. At the time, I was more invested in my PS2 than my PC, which, if I recall, was a Pentium III 866MHz with a 3Dfx Voodoo 5--a bit behind the times for what was required for JO, but still more than adequate for the PC games I loved at the time.

I'm new enough here that I don't recall your earlier departure, but I'm sorry to learn of your degenerative eyesight. Still, if it's mainly the "fast action" that causes you problems, perhaps other games like Turn-Based-Strategy would appeal to you? It's not the most popular genre, but I can assure you that there are many quality titles that you may have never heard of simply because these game don't have the huge budgets and marketing campaigns that more mainstream games do. The Civilization series is an obvious example and a good place to start, and if you are interested in further recommendations, let me know. Most of these games support multi-player, so you don't have to give up the social aspect of gaming, either.

I play a lot of RTS style games...Starcraft, Civ, Age of Empires, but they lack the social aspect as I dont play them multiplayer. Tried Civ in MP once and it was so full of 8 year olds I never bothered again...:)

If I keep the brightness turned down, and don't play for long stretches I should be good for coop arma2.... just have to be careful about not overdoing it, I hope.

Corneal transplant was it?

I had one of those about 10+ years ago - worked great for about 3 years but now its blurry as hell lol.

But my left eye does all the work for me so all good.

It is traumatic at first but in no time you will forget it happened and hopefully it will come good.

Glad ur back though brother.

Oh I was quite a scrapper in my youth. Rough housing and donny brook were my two best friends...:)

But as to a specific cause.. not really sure. The optic nerve damage was likely from plain old eye strain over years and years of heavy duty gaming and work. Lot of days I was puttin' in 20 hour days on the ol' compy.

Apparently smoking didnt help... so dont smoke Halo... and turn off the computer every now and then.

EDIT:

Check this out for more:

http://smoking.ygoy.com/2007/11/20/smoking...ive-eye-damage/

Blind Death... yay me...:)

Edited by Morgan