Spartans Home

If you were a developer....

Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

I was in another thread, and thought I'd put forth a little bit of a fun discussion. If you were a developer, what game would you make a modern sequel to, or build upon?

I remember that my two most favorite PC games a few years ago were Ghost Recon 1 and Age of Empires. One was a cool FPS, and the other a fun strategy game built upon all the castle/siege gametypes before it.

If I could re-develop Age of Empires, I'd revisit the original title and go with early Rome and early Greece. I'd make it an MMO where a massive map across the northern Medeterrenaian, where government classes have to balance themselves with the warring classes. I always liked the sense of history and learning that was present in AOE, and would like to see more like this.

In my opinion, Arma2 is Old Ghost Recon in modern times, or as close as we're going to get anyways without Ground Branch, so no more time will be spent on that.

I also think another flight sim game that could be dusted off and made much better would be X-Wing. That was my first real PC game, and I loved it. It would be fun to see what X-Wing could look like now with modern graphics and an updated engine. :o

Great thread!

I would redo the old Nintendo 8-bit game called Willow, based on the film of the same name. Simply awesome fun in a great fantasy world. I would make it an RPG such as Dragon Age: Origins, but multiplayer so you could have four or 6 party members. The player's party would interact with the characters of the film and fulfill parts of the plot that could either be made up or based on the film's original plot. Willow is one of my top ten films of all time and a game would do it great justice.

IPB Image

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

I just love my shooting games. I would like to see a sequel to " Sniper Elite " with bigger mapping including different dioramas involved, I found the higher game option on Elite especially fascinating with breathing Countrol etc more exciting. I will be dicussing this with a games developer I know and see what we can come up with putting in some more ideas etc.

An updated version of Rogue spear would be nice. I really enjoyed the mission planning in that game. You could pre plan the entire mission for multiple squads with mulitple go codes. You didnt even have to be a shooter you could just observe. To my knowledge that side of it has never been surpassed.

The first wanton violent shooter I played, which provided no real moral grounding, was Twisted Metal for Playstation. I had so much fun with that game, but I am still not decided if I would want to ruin my memories with a modern 3D sequel.

Other than that, I'd take hold of the MMORPG-style popularity and mix the gritty play of ARMA2 (or GRAW1, whichever FPS works), and add to it some more semi-freeworld elements like in EVE or WOW. This way, the game world would exist on more than one map, but in the global theatre itself.

Various controls would be incorporated to allow the in-game world to evolve with the battle too. Players would begin as military in one of 4 unsettled countries, and as the various political situations deteriorate (game developer controlled, with key moderators acting as either terrorists, victims, or propaganda machines) and war ensues, the fighting countries-seperate wars on seperate fronts, would eventually meet and find cause to ally or otherwise interact. New countries would become involved, giving players a chance to defect and new players a chance to begin from the relative peace and ease themselves into the large-scale coordination and war of the other countries.

The idea could go so many ways, creating a persistent world that would allow large TvT coordination without falling into chaos straight away, while also permitting multiple strategy-gameplay styles from FPS to high command with an enticing fantasy storyline mimicking our own world's tumultuous history.

A goal would be to incorporate real military experience at the higher levels, at least in the beginning, to provide the experienced leadership and resource-allocation needed to prevent utter failure from the start.

Like I said, that or Twisted Metal....Dammit, I just googlized and they are already making another Twisted Metal for PS3.

Hmmm...this is easy

Falcon(x) was, is and always has been the "Holy Grail" of modern combat flight simulators, that all others are judged against. It's a timeless program as the community refuses to let it die and there's always someone working on it to make it better.

What I would do is take the premise of Falcon(x) and completely re-write it from the ground up with modern code. Completely finish the dynamic engine as was never done in Falcon(x) and build in a robust multilayer engine that allows close formation flying, over massive maps. The global model would be worldwide to include conflicts both past, present and future. I would build in an initial training engine that truly lets you start out in real Air Force training, in T-6's and T-38 and then when you reach proficiency, you move on to modern combat aircraft like the F-16, A-10, F-15, F-22, F-35 etc.

The engine would be modular and allow for other modules like Naval Operations, Army Air operations, Helo Operations, Marine Operations and "Other" countries Air Forces Operations. I would start with the training program based in Laughlin Texas just like the real Air Forces does and then move on to Las Vegas Nevada (Nellis AFB - Home of the Fighter Pilot) for the fist missions. I would include an aerial demonstration module so guys could accurately fly like the Thunderbird's or Blue Angles (or anyone they choose).

I would design the initial program to be modular to allow people from all over the globe to work on it together . People who have a passion to make it the very best and the new Holy Grail and do it right, no matter where they live. I would insure the program has a through and complete SDK so that developers could MOD and grow it and give it a timeless life span too...like that of Falcon(x)

And finally, I would give it a cool name, something that tells you it's professional, the best and that there is more coming.

....something like Fighter Ops

.....WAIT a minute...I've already done that.

If you didn't already know, I'm the founding father of Fighter Ops and one of the origional owners of Xtreme Simulation International (XSI) Fighter Ops

more HERE

Edited by Stang~SPARTA~

Mine would be a PC redo of Rock & Roll Racing by Sega. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_N'_Roll_Racing

YOu start off with a simple buggy to race with and as you gain pionts you would gain things like better shocks and land mines to drop, as you gained you would have missles to shoot the guy in front and a form of cluster bomb dropped for those closing in on ya.

I used to make custom maps when I had the time. My favorite was one for Battlefield Vietnam, it was meant to be a flight trainer but became quite a favorite for people.

Mosquito Coast

You can see by the Google results it was a pretty popular map. (I sure liked it, lol) I had a MUCH larger map in the works but only got to the beta stage with it before I moved back from Vegas and got busy with real life again. That was a serious map.)

I would just HAVE to remake warzone 2100, with new graphics, units, maps, the entire works :) There is an open source for it....but that just isnt the same :lol:

This would include much more versatility in the designing of your tanks etc, more factions to play as, with perhaps a global campaign with, say, attack that province type stuff then you go to the rts mode, like with games such as Total war series, or Dawn of War dark crusade/soulstorm.

Another game would have to be freelancer, not that it isnt great already :D Just perhaps new campaign, ships, official extended galaxy area, instead of mods :) New graphics, new physics. Perhaps incorperate stuff from games such as the X series, to allow station building and empire running :) Or even, make a cross over between freelancer and the X series, including Multiplayer !! :D

I would just HAVE to remake warzone 2100, with new graphics, units, maps, the entire works :) There is an open source for it....but that just isnt the same :lol:

This would include much more versatility in the designing of your tanks etc, more factions to play as, with perhaps a global campaign with, say, attack that province type stuff then you go to the rts mode, like with games such as Total war series, or Dawn of War dark crusade/soulstorm.

Amen...

A game I've always wanted to make but lacked the manpower and time to do so would be a simulator that involves the entire battlefield. Realistic flight controls, realistic ground combat, realistic weapons, expansive terrains, etc. Think ArmA2 but on steroids (with proper systems in place for air and vehicular combat, because I'm afraid ArmA2 leaves much to be desired). Great care would be taken to make everything as close to their real-life counterparts as possible, and the AI would have to be extremely advanced (you can't simulate a real battlefield without hundreds or thousands of troops).

Now if I can just get some grants from the military, and hire a few hundred programmers...

Barring that, I've longed for, and experimented some, with seamless planet-side-to-space transitions. I would love to see a space game where you can actually enter the atmosphere of a planet, land at a station, and get out and walk around. I'm not the only one either; some people are trying to make this a reality:

I'm probably just too old-fashioned, but I've always enjoyed the luxury of time that turn-based strategy games provide.

For a remake/sequel, I would choose X-COM: UFO Defense (aka X-COM: Enemy Unknown in Europe), which to this day, in my heart, was the pinnacle of turn-based, squad-based gameplay. I was very disappointed when the planned sequel, Dreamland Chronicles, was cancelled. As recently as 18 months ago, I picked up a DOS-Boxed version somewhere for $5 and gave it another spin, and despite the fact that the game runs at 640X480, it was still one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've ever had. It is a crime against humanity that this game has not been given a modern facelift.

For a semi-original game, I would just want a game starts with the Dawn of Man (a la the Civilization series), and carries through and beyond extraterrestrial and intergalactic colonization (Alpha Centauri, Galactic Civilizations 2), with everything in-between (The Settlers, Europa Universalis, Pirates!, Railroads!, SimCity, etc, to fill out the details). That's not asking too much, is it?