Spartans Home

ArmA 2 Players

Halli~SPARTA~

It appears that Domination game play etiquette has just gone out the window.

Players are rushing to the next objective in a Run and gun style and not worring about regrouping and moving in as a company but just to get the first kill.

I don't want to be a part of this game play.

This is not the Tactical Night but standard Domination.....I was under the impression that the team work is why all you guys came to Sparta's server but it looks as though this may not be the reason.

I could of course put my foot down and be aggressive but I would like to see the regular players help control this.

Everyone wants to fly something or use Mk119 or Mortar's but we don't need all that shit unless the ground troops can't handle the situation at hand. The Extra equipment should be used as a reserve and Reserve only.

What happened? Why have we gone in a direction of this Bovine Scat?

Agreed - do we still have the paradrops in all the towns?

If so remove.

Agreed fully. Doesn't have to be total tactical, but there does need to be a LOT more organization on regular DOM. And like lightspeed said there, either remove the para poles from the completed AO's, or put a 10 minute time limit to be able to use them once the AO has been cleared. TOO many people are jumping right to the new AO for the first and most kills. This isn't about who has the most kills. And I know us regulars know that already. It's about teamwork, and that aspect alone to me, is the most fun. While the rest of us are waiting for evac, the guys that dropped to the new main already have it pretty much cleared up by the time the patient folk get there. Very frustrating.

Agreed fully. Doesn't have to be total tactical, but there does need to be a LOT more organization on regular DOM. And like lightspeed said there, either remove the para poles from the completed AO's, or put a 10 minute time limit to be able to use them once the AO has been cleared. TOO many people are jumping right to the new AO for the first and most kills. This isn't about who has the most kills. And I know us regulars know that already. It's about teamwork, and that aspect alone to me, is the most fun. While the rest of us are waiting for evac, the guys that dropped to the new main already have it pretty much cleared up by the time the patient folk get there. Very frustrating.

Parajump pole spawning can be delayed for 1,3,5,10,13,15,20,25 minutes, or disabled entirely. Admin just has to set the map parameter.

Let us get our collective "shit" together folks.

Untagged regulars, as you hear me say time and time again, we count on you to help yourselves and us by encouraging appropriate play from newcomers and by keeping your play within what has made this server THE place to be for ARMA 2.

Tagged members, you know what you need to do. Keep in mind that sometimes admins and moderators may not be in game, but may be in teamspeak and most will help out in any way possible if things get beyond your ability to control through peer pressure. Do not hesitate to use Admins and moderators that are in other teamspeak channels.

yeah the TS thing sounds good, atleast you know you will eliminate most of the asshats from the server. the pole thing soudns good as well. and another part is a gamestyle i use to play on the 1st ID server. instead of using helos to transport everywhere use humvee/lav25/mtvr's convoys to get around. it is actually alot more fun have everyone loaded into 5 or 6 vehicles all rolling down the road instead of 1 helo. the teamwork aspect works great, and can also encourage players to use vehicles like the hummers, and mtvr varieties.

we have those messages that appear about not flying aircraft.

can we get one about you must join TS to play in server and...

Sparta is not a lone wolf server - if you cant play as a team dont play here.

parajumps set to 15 minutes plz - the ppl who want to be heros will not wait around 15 minutes and will find another server. the parajumps should only be there for those who may be afk and miss the extract by vehicle. if we could make it a teleport instead of a paradrop to base of mhq even better.

another thing which is simple too - if ppl want to run off like heros and not be part of a team then do not revive them ever. make them respawn at mhq. and just advise them again in a server message if necessary so they will know the deal.

Edited by Lightspeed~SPARTA~

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think you'll get this level of game play whilst "non-regular" players are on the server.

TS is a definate minimum requirement, that way first-timers can be told mimimum expectations and the run & gunners can make the choice to stay or go.

I'd be happy to see the parajumps go completely. I do feel they have a use, for 1 or 2 to forward scout but that needs them to be there immediately, which brings with it the grief we have already all seen.

Things to think about:

A teamspeak only server will probably end up as a private or even empty server. How many of you came into TS immediately. Many are shy and some of us are a bit aggressive on TS, I have seen a few enter and leave promptly, many wont even take that step.

Parajumps, if you delay parajumps and noone is on TS or if those that are, are busy on side missions or flying their harriers/A10s/Cobras, the people are stuck in the old town. When the server is busy there is usually someone to take them to the next mission, but when there are 10 to 15 people there isnt always someone. Plus sometime those on TS need the parajump to get to a chopper to take everyone else to the next target.

The messages are either not read or ignored. It is not possible for people to not notice the 30 or so messages on their screen and yet every night there are 10 - 30 new people flying to the target in some aircraft. adding more to the message may not be effective.

Super 6-4 using convoys to move would be fun once or twice, but the map is big and the idea doesnt work for people who are joining in progress every 30 seconds.

Obviously those of you that have posted here want to play in the style Halli has set out, but many of the TS population want to get back into the fight quickly.

I sadly can offer no concrete solutions.

If you want the server to operate in a certain way you have to lead by example. Whether parajump is on or not everyone on TS hold at the Flagpole and await evac, elect someone to recover the MHQ and a chopper. Lets leave MHQ2 at base so that a player can teleport back to base to pick up a chopper. Side mission guys just use a chopper and an ammo box and dont play alone. Be patient with new people who genuinely want to learn to play better and point out people who are spoiling the game for every one. Eliminate Uber weapons especially the M119s and do not use D30's to demolish the next town.

When the MHQ is in place, those of you on TS form up and move as a group 90 degrees to the straight line appraoch from MHQ to town. Create a new approach vector on suitable terrain that is at least 90 degrees away from the MHQ straight line approach. Hold at a safe distance. Let the non TS people act a a distraction drawing the enemy towards them (dont worry there are a lot lemmings and they will keep going straight to the front, lets them). When you have found a good entry point and scoped out your targets attack as a force hopefully destroying armour and fixed position targets in a couple of volleys, maintain seperation, look after each other (you have no MHQ). Moving as a group with a good mix of AT, AA, machine guns and mortars will make you very powerful force attacking a flank that by then will be less well defended thanks to the lemmings.

This is surely a flawed solution, but in the absence of anything else lead by example and dont be a lemming.

my opinion is if you remove paradrops people will just take any means of transport from the base to get to the fight,also alot of players do rush to the next town to get kills cos some nights the fly boys are on with jets and gunships destroying the town befor people get a chance to get there,so foot soliders do get a bit fed up

Surely there is a simple solution to this.

The standard Dom server is purely there to get people in and playing ArmA II.

Those of you who are more experienced or wanting more tactical play can move on to the Passworded Dom server where Tactical play is more heavily encouraged and enforced.

This would leave the normal server to ease players into our more tactical way of playing and not annoy those already above the run and gun style.

Ok I would like to set the parajumps at 5mins to start and see what happens with this.

I also want TS open to public as It is what brought all of the guys that are Newer to our group.

This post post is about Aksing current players that read our fourms to help keep the game play in check, Not strict Tactical but not BF2 style.

As Zeno said but the transportation using trucks would be fun when possible so when MH6 fixes his current stuff we should take a truck to a farp.

I agree Halli. Maybe TS should be mandatory from now on. It's just a thought but if everyone's on TS, you know everyone's on the same page. see ya on the server...............

makes perfect sense to me skele

the map ended lasnite so when i restarted it i put flagpoles to 15 minutes and add 3 assets to game 1 UH-heuy and 2 M1A2 tusk at the time there was only 6 ppl in game not long till the sever only had 3 ppl working on the sidemission took 2 hours just to find and kill the convoy ahhaha i logged out 0643 well shit still got my 5+ hours in ahahha

my opinion is if you remove paradrops people will just take any means of transport from the base to get to the fight,also alot of players do rush to the next town to get kills cos some nights the fly boys are on with jets and gunships destroying the town befor people get a chance to get there,so foot soliders do get a bit fed up

:clapping:

Surely there is a simple solution to this.

The standard Dom server is purely there to get people in and playing ArmA II.

Those of you who are more experienced or wanting more tactical play can move on to the Passworded Dom server where Tactical play is more heavily encouraged and enforced.

:clapping:

Edited by PANiC

I agree in theory but short of making every night a tac night these are some things I have seen work well.

1. Having someone flying a helo that knows what the rules are, I don't see a problem with that person ferrying troops aslong as the helos are not used and left in random places and abandonded. Doing that offers a relativly swift response time for getting a helo in to pick up the group so you can move on to the next city.

2. Alternativly to that previously I have taken mortars when flying a helo I bring the MHQ and the everyone into a city and park outside at a reasonable mortar range. I will take out D30s or WP the radio tower only when requested and wait. When the city is taken you get spun up and when its clear you are in in 20 secs ready to lift people out. The particular reason I believe a system like that works very well is it helps to eliminate some of the people that get impatient and para. With the helo being there so swift thta they can see and hear it before they get to the flag amny will just board the helo. You might get 2-3 to para in. This method I felt worked very well when it was executed and got the bulk of the troops there early enough that every could get involved.

3. There is talk about what brought us to the server, I think it is the commraderie that brings us here. That and a relaxed enviroment to play and enjoy our game. When I first started playing you might be lucky to have 5-8 people on TS with a full server. We worked as small teams of 2-4 within the bigger masses. I think thats whats going to be more effective and fun for most on non-tac nights. Instead of trying to corral everyone into a single mass and hold them to a certain advancement progression let smaller teams for and move at their pace once everyone has landed. Trying to hold corral everyone and move in as a mass I think has 2 adverse effects these are

a. Those not on TS will run in and take care of half the town before others get a chance to enter.

b. Causes the Commander to get frustrated because people are not listening to orders, and by the time they get into town there is not alot to do.

c. so maybe there was 3 =P That not being able to go in when they are seeing everything go down but conforming because thats the thing to do will build resentment and take the fun out of the game for the player.

4. I have noticed in Side Missions people are doing things more and more tactically everyday and increasingly thats where I find myself sometimes because thats what I enjoy the small unit commraderie.

In closing I think something that might help is a post of what is expected and what the current rules or guidlines of regular dom. Personally I consider myself a regular and I thought I had a fair understanding of the Sparta rules and ideas, but I do have to be away for a week or sometimes 2-3 at a time because thats what my job calls for and some rules have changed while I was away. I also thing that thie post will help newer people even those that come on TS to have a better understanding of what is expected. I know there are snippets of this all through out the forums but they are disjointed and spread throughout many posts.

I would be happy to help compile this masive post of rules and expectations on the SPARTA server if you request it.

Thank you for your time,

Grimwolf

This post post is about Aksing current players that read our fourms to help keep the game play in check, Not strict Tactical but not BF2 style.

Heard, understood & acknowledged! I find myself immediately heading to the side mission channel, because of this kind of stuff. I appreciate and support the Sparta servers and play style!

Good post Grim, i played when you were doing that yesterday and it really worked. I would do it when youre not around because I dont mind being on the mortar, but I am not a good enough pilot to evade dangerous situations and everyone would die.

You are right about the camaraderie, we are lucky to have such a good bunch on TS

Yes I agree Grim those are fine tactics. When I myself try to get the guys grouped together it is for server calming reasons when there starts to be mayhem, when no mayhem I follow the rest of ya'll and enjoy your company.

Also noted if I start bitching about coms is to really calm only a couple of guys that are just non stop hogging the of the air not trying to be a Peckerhead. B)

As a point of context, the night Halli posted this, there was almost complete chaos on the server. This post, in effect, is the official reigning in of that chaos. In order to obtain control and stem away from the mob mentality, it was paramount that a certain amount of control be exerted over the players on that particular night. Those of you reading this that are regulars and appreciate the relaxed approach that our regular, but modified, Domination server plays, undoubtedly understand the guidelines/rules that we have in place. On top of that, you must accept that when those basic rules are not followed the enjoyment factor and camaraderie diminish extremely quickly. Unfortunately, that night was a gross exception to the normal atmosphere experienced on the server. To those of you who toed-the-line and participated in getting back to the roots of the server, we appreciate you very much. It is this help that we find comfort and tend to rely on. After all, we all want a server worth playing on and it is everyone's responsibility to make it happen.

However, In order to regain those two fundamental factors, admins and moderators will sometimes need to go beyond the normal relaxed atmosphere and control the server in a more strict way. This can be analogous with a behavior issue between a parent and child. The child does something that is against the rules and the parent reacts accordingly; not merely telling them he/she did something wrong but controlling the situation and getting the child back on track to behaving as he/she should.

In no way shape or form do we dislike anyone or would boot players for their actions as long as they follow the teamwork ethos. We enjoy our members and visitors alike and while the expectations of each may differ slightly, the friendship and camaraderie are always and persistently equal.

I, personally, thank all of our visitors, especially the regular players, for making our Domination server one of the best ArmA servers I have ever played in. The teamwork and esprit de corps within the Legion of Sparta Community never ceases to impress me.

I usually don't post very much on forums, but I thought this was an important subject, so...

First of all, thanks to the Sparta clan, for hosting a really, really well managed and organized server group for ARMA2, and being very, very patient with players, old and new. You guys make it an outstanding environment for co-op game play, despite all the potholes, roadblocks, and drunk drivers on the information superhighway.

Second, I hear you on the issue of Dom Etiquette. I will say, however, in my experience, the majority of the problems come from people who are new to the game, and the server, and from people who tend to be "MUTES"...that is non-TS capable or otherwise.

There is a steep learning curve for those people coming from games like BF2, or COD(X), and as prices for Arma2 drop over the next few months, I'm sure you'll see an influx ,now and again, of the same behaviors from new players.

I can hear the frustration over TS from the vets about gameplay and such, and it's growing daily...so, I would like to make a suggestion, if I may...

Sparta's got a few advantages when it comes to regulating gameplay -- (1) You've got a good number of mature, knowledgeable, friendly, open minded team members, who care about the group, the game, and the greater good. (2) You run more than one server, in the US, and UK.

My suggestion would be to run two levels of game play on two separate servers. Make one server the "Minor League", or Public server. Make the other the "Major League" server, by invite/password only, for Sparta members, and Friends of Sparta.

It may sound elitist to have a separate server for Sparta/Friends only, but that's the only was you're really going to be able to regulate. I think the bottom line is, if you run a Public server, you cannot expect to regulate 35 players who are there for different reasons. With a lockdown server, you can.

AND! I'm not saying you just leave the "Minor League" server to it's own devices...No, it will still need to be managed, and policed, but I think if you know, going in to the server that it will be acceptable for Mutes, Runners, Gunners, Rambos, and Skig-Skag-Skallywags to be in there, the level of frustration can be adjusted. Because that is what a Minor League is for..to make mistakes, to learn; and for those who like to instruct, a place to teach.

That being the case, you're probably asking "Well, who the hell would want to be in that server, then?"

To that I say, "Whoever wants to have a public server...." I'm assuming that Sparta wants a public server because you want to be open to new players...much like a public school would be open to all new students. And like a school, this Minor League is going to need some Teachers/Coaches..it's just a part of the territory...someone to show the new guys the ropes, and school them, be patient with them, and elevate them to the Majors, accordingly. A Public server, while a bitch to maintain, is also a good opportunity to scout and develop new guys to play a game we all really like.

Would Sparta be willing to provide that to a Minor League server? I know that there are a bunch of Spartans who have the patience, skill, and insight necessary to school the new kids in the old tricks and standards of ARMA...but in this particular scenario, this hypothetical situation I am proposing, the success of the system would squarely rest upon you, the members of Sparta. Without the willingness to continue to police and teach on the Minor League server, it would quickly degrade into the free-for-all we see sometimes -- and then what would be the point in having it at all?

That's my two cents...and if it's any consolation, if you do decide to run this "Tiered" system, I would be willing to serve time in the Minors, to help you guys corral the new guys, when I'm on-line...and I'm sure others people would be willing too...

Thanks for your time...

Jack Burton