Spartans Home

Sparta Domination 1.09

MH6~SPARTA~

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For organized play, this would be a great addition, and possibly a cool way to coordinate air/arty strikes w/o exposing infantry.

Only-please x 3, don't let it steer the same as that in the single-player. It's the strangest bastard to control, no way to know if it's in level flight, or which way is really forward since it was constantly turning (yes, part of the waypoint scheme, but still). If added, could the UAV controls mimic that of other fixed-wings, though simplified to whatever scale is appropriate for a UAV?

Also, would a UAV 'see' squad-level objectives (move/target here, etc), or even map-level markers? If not that, at least some nav marker, distance and direction, on the operator so he or she can return the UAV to their location for pickup. I assume the existing map marking ability from SP would be brought into the scaled UAV.

I was going to have it so you steer it like flying a plane, yes. Though I may add an autonomous mode were it flies a large circle so you can more easily spot targets. Maybe something like before deployment, you can set waypoints for it to follow. And yes, the UAV would see squad-level objectives. The UAV would be in the same group as the handler.

The UAV is on my wish list, but i have a question how does it spot enemies do they just appear on main map as red or do you get a video feed and then have to mark what you see on map?

If the latter this would be an awesome additon to Friday tactical, at last town takedown a small group inc UAV guys could immediately deploy to get info for commander from a safe distance keeping peeps from twidling there thumbs.

The enemies show up on the map as you fly over them, but you can also manually spot targets. So if we were to say, run veteran mode, you would still be able to use the UAV to mark targets manually for ground troops.

Giving it to team leaders sound good. Maybe only to the team leaders who can't call in air drops though (i.e. Bravo, and maybe Echo?)

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

I was going to have it so you steer it like flying a plane, yes. Though I may add an autonomous mode were it flies a large circle so you can more easily spot targets. Maybe something like before deployment, you can set waypoints for it to follow. And yes, the UAV would see squad-level objectives. The UAV would be in the same group as the handler.

You're my hero; I wanna be like you when I grow up.

Can some explain to me how the backpack works in Domination. Is it just the weapons you can put in there? I couldn't seem to get any ammo in to it. Guess I was too used to the ACE packs.

Choose a rifle fill all six slots with choice of ammo come out of ammo crate and put rifle on back, go back into ammo crate and choose secondary setup. Allways put in stuff like smoke,frags etc in with secondary this allows a full six mags to go on back with primary.

Whiskey, I have noticed that as well, where the formal 'teleport' options are not available. However, while they disappear they have eventually come back. At least for me. As far as a key stroke, I know of none that triggers this to appear.

Ah, good to know I am not completely crazy.

I'm starting to get itchy to play again, but I've got a shit-ton of stuff still to move. When I get back, I expect to have a chopper waiting with my name on it so I can do some crazy flying, lol. :)

You wont do any worse than Cy! The record is now three choppers in less than 25 minutes. Through no fault of Cy's though... ;)

See you when you get tidied up a bit around the new homestead.

I'm starting to get itchy to play again, but I've got a shit-ton of stuff still to move. When I get back, I expect to have a chopper waiting with my name on it so I can do some crazy flying, lol. :)

Haven't you heard, we're not using choppers anymore. We run to the objective, then we exfil with magic disappearing hatchbacks :P

Custard did try and match Cy's achievement last night but came up short by one :rolleyes:

Haven't you heard, we're not using choppers anymore. We run to the objective, then we exfil with magic disappearing hatchbacks :P

Custard did try and match Cy's achievement last night but came up short by one :rolleyes:

Zeno and I need to redo our magic hatchback race. I feel my win was stolen by his invisible car ray gun.

Domination offers the flexiblity of different playing styles, I also enoy taking towns in a thought out way, the towns are going down too easily though.

So we will have to up the ante in the towns.

The towns may be falling too quickly, BUT...I wonder how the stats stack up. I don't mean k/d or that foolishness, but the statistical weight of infantry and armor AI v. Human. I haven't yet seen a town attacked with more armor than is already in the town, and virtually all armor is disabled by infantry shoulder-fired weapons. In a real theatre, I imagine that approach would be far more risky (the U.S. would simply bomb/arty the crap out of the heavily fortified town, troops to clean up only). Is the armor/Inf AI scripted for each town, or is it randomized to a degree? The # of AI infantry at the start, before reinforcements, doesn't seem that high given the wealth of armor in the towns (2-3 tanks, a half-dozen BMPs & BRDMs, a handful of Daz's, etc)

My suggestion to up the ante is kit limits. I know it sounds like PR, which is an admirable mod, but kit limits are not a bad idea for the feel of Dom. (Do all soldiers carry SMAWs, really?) I don't know if it's possible to limit kits based on the character selected from the team-selection screen, but it's one way. It would also encourage more team play, calling in anti-armor units & mortar squads until their effectiveness is diminished/targets cleared. (hell, even edging on anti-armor teams w/secondaries carrying extra rounds)

That, or up the server to Vetran or Expert. I know I'd die lots more than I do normally that way.

The towns are being pulverised by arty to such an extent that the infantry only do cleanup, certainly if go to veteran arty will need to be coordinated with spotters. I am not a fan of reducing weaponry as it is one of the characteristics of Domination and we are not always 30 players.

I will search for a devious way to make the game tougher.

The towns are being pulverised by arty to such an extent that the infantry only do cleanup, certainly if go to veteran arty will need to be coordinated with spotters. I am not a fan of reducing weaponry as it is one of the characteristics of Domination and we are not always 30 players.

Zeno, No, I wouldn't want to get rid of any weapons in the game, that's a treat to try all the different bits. I was arguing from an allocative angle. Even in Vetran, if everyone had a SMAW/Javelin then it would be over very quickly. Changing the gamemode is the worst-case scenario, since it diminishes flexibility for organized play. We'd all rather see everyone on the same page about how and when to use assests (mimicking some sort of RL availability), but on the public server it won't happen without intense admin policing and an associated diminishing gameplay experience for the admins and those reporting offenders.

Actually, I just thought of one way to change it that might help. Towns as objectives are usually w/in the ~1km diameter target area. This is a major game change idea, possibly suited to another thread...

Maintain the current side mission/small town attack-n-control aspect. CHANGE the small towns to Secondary objectives and ADD a doubled attack radius (from 500m to 1km), or x4 the attack area, to one of the larger towns, to randomly occur after taking 2-3 small towns. This may mimic the U.S. push of enemy forces to the water for a last-stand event. It may introduce a use for boats; enemy boats as reinforcement avenues, and the as yet unused US boats. The small town objectives and side missions will still cycle, but the introduction of a larger objective would increase the time to play and the dynamic of both CQB and larger assests, like artillery and air support (i.e., that air support can really engage hostiles WITH FAC coordination and WITHOUT needing to evac the entire area of friendlies first). Taking Berezino is the only small town that consistently takes a while, and that gave me the idea.

The towns that look appropriate for this are:

-Berezino-encompassing the suburb area to the SW (a 2km diameter ring almost stretches from NE Berezino to the extent of the SW suburb)

-Electrozavodsk

-Chernogorsk

-Krasnostav, including the airstrip to the NE

Spawn more counterattacks on things that attack towns from outside the town redzone; add things outside the redzone that makes insertion / attack harder.

• Ie, if someone has a farp set up with an artillery and they are sending in shells, have a Mi-8 drop off a few dozen infantry on them, or have a random vehicle wander the FARP's direction.
  • Give the OPFOR mobile mortar teams outside redzone's on mountain tops
  • OPFOR roadblocks
  • OPFOR sniper teams on high altitude advantage points focused on areas used by our insertions.

nice ideas there -

be great if you could spawn in lots of reinforcements not after a town is taken but during the taking. have them work their way in from about 2 miles out on foot and armor so you could in effect be ambushed or pinned if not careful.

im very GR-school though and not a big fan of all of the other weapons although i love that Arma2 has it all. Love Arma2.

but maybe the rounds should be very limited - so you get a taste without being able to clear a village. one well placed strike - if you stuff it wait 5 to 10 minutes.

mortars - 10 rounds shoot carefully.

i dunno.

in my perfect world there would be no planes or attack choppers or tanks - just transport choppers - but everyone likes their version of Arma2 which i support.

maybe just more ai spread out outside redzone spawning in and moving in on current town so more difficult to target with artillery and airstrikes.

maybe they dont even need to spawn in - they can be based in the forests in units and when they hear the firefights they will move in to assist enemy forces.

that would be great Domination - a blend of towns and forest or rural based camps - no well-defined perimeter you just know they are in there somewhere.

Edited by Lightspeed~SPARTA~

I was actually already thinking about something along those lines. For example, having an enemy convoy roll into the town we're trying to take. The convoy would be composed of some heavy armor, light armor, UAZ/Vodniks, and a few transport trucks loaded with troops. Upon sight of the enemy/coming under fire/reaching the town, all the troops will dismount from the transport trucks and spread out, looking for contacts.

I was also thinking adding random assaults on FARPs, that would only occur if there were some people to defend. Otherwise we'd end up with a FARP that had 20 enemy infantry just sitting inside it, shooting anyone to spawn there. Or maybe the enemy could capture it, preventing us from spawning there until we took it back.

Or maybe even give the enemy their own FARPs, which we could assault, and which would give them a starting point to assault us from. So for instance they could have convoys that spawned there and moved out to assist the current town.

Regardless, I would definitely like to do something to make capturing towns a little more interesting. I want the AI to do something unexpected for once, that would force us to adapt to the situation.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

• 2 weeks later...

ok i forgot where is it located because i cant find the file i want to mess around with it in the editor or SP and whats the pbo editor to mess around with the domination script. it will keep me entertained.