Spartans Home

Sparta Domination 1.09

MH6~SPARTA~

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind, TAC nights involve no armor/air/static assets. It is the challenge of having to work with what is on your back.

Tac nights seem to be more for squad-level tactical work, right? I don't want to step on toes for Tac mission night, especially as a regular only.

Still there are probably some good larger scale coop options available for interested people to try in a coordinated match.

@Idan, and anyone else interested. Check the new thread 'Large scale coop/MP user missions.'

Me no see ??

Damn, I'm not the only one on here at work...I'm still sorting that other post in another window. It'll be up once I fix a few links.

That doesnt mean we couldnt do one tank assault

Jason must be involved in that case, so we can all learn how to do it right!

There are many reasons why air and armor assets might not be feasible for an engagement. Until the core code is refined a great deal, I don't know if large scale battles are going to be an option. I think the two squad attack force has been working well so far, but it will be a good day when the size of the engagement isn't limited. Idan, I understand what you're saying about armor/infantry coordination and it seems that this might be easily possible on tac nights through a drop request. If the team leader has the ability to call for a drop of two Tusks, that would provide the spearhead for the invasion. This would occupy a squad of 8 people, leaving another squad of 8 to provide close in support for the tanks against shoulder fired weapons, etc etc. In the case where stealth is not desired, I think this would be awesome. Idan, I'm sure that even the oldest and scruffiest xMil dogs can appreciate your experiences in Israel and what that can bring to this simulation. I look forward to seeing how Sparta uses your ideas. Cool stuff.

I think we can try it.

We can use two tanks cover it other for first wave ,they will have green light only for armor and at soldiers.

They will not shoot ground infantry so second wave will still have a job.

I think in TAC night we can try it on one of the towns for diversity.

I for one would prefer if the TAC DOM night didn't include this. I play this game for the infantry side of things and the squad movement and co-ordination. I don't play it to mop up after vehicles (be they ground or air) finish off pounding a town into submission.

Why don't we run one of the unused servers (SPARTA Tactical) as a Vehicle server and let people do whatever they want. That may also keep the idiots who join the normal DOM server away, as all they seem to want to do is grab a Helo, Tank, A10 etc and fly drive around pointlessly.

Fair Comment

On the armoured assault we can try it on another night. Dont worry Idan we have the resources.

Strongharm has come up with air version of Domination with F16s and B52s, I was going to switch the Domination East revive to that when he finishes it for exactly the reason you stated, ie people can slake their thirst for flying on that server. I have just had a wild idea, StrongHarm expect a PM.

Eventually I would like to disable all the aircraft (fixed and rotor) except those that "ONLY" have laser guided bombs like the F35, which can also fly CAP to protect against the SU's.

Xeno

1.11T Test Release

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet another Test Release available: 1.11T

Most important fix in this version: dead units and vehicles get now deleted properly (needed a lot of internal rewrites).

Download:

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/list_files/domination

You'll find a new version for a not yet released island in the mission pack.

Please report problems in the Dom bug tracker at dev-heaven (http://dev-heaven.net/projects/domination/issues/new, you need a dev-heaven account for it).

Just a warning, Dom is not made to be played hosted only dedicated!

Enjoy!

Xeno

Domination @ dev-heaven.net

I for one would prefer if the TAC DOM night didn't include this. I play this game for the infantry side of things and the squad movement and co-ordination. I don't play it to mop up after vehicles (be they ground or air) finish off pounding a town into submission.

Why don't we run one of the unused servers (SPARTA Tactical) as a Vehicle server and let people do whatever they want. That may also keep the idiots who join the normal DOM server away, as all they seem to want to do is grab a Helo, Tank, A10 etc and fly drive around pointlessly.

Best post ever. We need an award for posts like these.

• 2 weeks later...

Xeno

1.17T Test Release

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And yet another another another Test Release available: 1.17T

Changes:

- Fixed the "fall through deck" bug in the carrier version

- Fixed bonus vehicles as prizes for sidemissions, now random again (forgot to remove debug variables)

- Fixed an exploit in the AI version where it was possible to recruit more than the maximum number of 8 AI soldiers

Download:

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/list_files/domination

Please report problems in the Dom bug tracker at dev-heaven (http://dev-heaven.net/projects/domination/issues/new, you need a dev-heaven account for it).

Just a warning, Dom is not made to be played hosted only dedicated!

Enjoy!

Xeno

Domination @ dev-heaven.net

What ever happened to Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) and Less is more?

Since the additions of the C130, the Osprey, and the ability for West to fly and drive East vehicles, the game is nearly out of control every time I join the server. It is a chaotic mess. I have tried to log in and settle things down a bit but when you have comms a mess, people are talking over one another, non-TS players are flying and driving, the MHQs are at the wrong missions, TKers are everywhere... the only real solution is to make an announcement on TS that the servers will be shutdown (rebooted), and then do so. Start from scratch and get everything back on track form the beginning.

If you give people enough toys, they will lose their minds like a kid in a candy store. They want it all and they can't help themselves.

I feel we need to lessen the amount of toys and get back to the basics of ground combat, teamwork, and communication. Right now, the towns are being destroyed by three guys. One lasing targets and the others flying and gunning in a jet. The rest are left floundering and trying to get to the next AO before the jets swoop in and finish it before the helos even leave the last AO. It rushes the game play and provides ample opportunity for a CF which is the current daily situation.

It needs to be fixed. and NO, 'good' server moderation is not the only answer.

Oh and whatever happened with this??::

Best post ever. We need an award for posts like these.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

It needs to be fixed. and NO, 'good' server moderation is not the only answer.

Moderation/admin is part of the balance. I agree with issues about uncoordinated play, but simply removing options might also hurt the pleasure of dom, which is earning or taking stronger arms to dominate your opponent!

Medic is talking about two issues, a top-down or bottom-up control method. Game controls, script changes, and server admins (read:regulation) are the top-down approach. The end result can be more orderly gameplay, but flexibility will suffer. The bottom-up approach is real-time control via gameplay leaders (or an approach 'from the people'). That is the part we like, when people gather and play cooperatively.

Some regulation is good. The 30-min-to-fly rule is excellent and has prevented all kinds of crappy issues. Why not a similar time rule on driving different classes of vehicles, or something tied to player score or cooperative ability? I don't know how PR scripted its scoring method, but players earned far more points for working in a cooperative fashion than for kills alone-something like that would provide a better gauge of who is playing nice, and they could be rewarded with priviledges like running armor or air.

With leaders, it doesn't matter what's available to use since the group has agreed under the leader to do it his way, following democratic suggestion as the leader's formality permits. Leadership options will suffer if hindered by regulation (anyone tried to accomplish anything working with US Gov regs? I have...ouch). I would get tired if my only option was [take that helo, transport that MHQ, move on foot]*[8]. At present certain tools are provided, others are earned, others are taken, and leadership must determine how to best use what's available. Less options roughly equates to less leaders.

Without leaders on the pub server, and I don't mean server moderators, players will come in and treat it like a sandbox. Take away the toys, and they'll leave the sandbox empty for another server. Fine, that deals with some of the problem, but blatant violation of basic regs, (TKs, good coms, TS use) will happen in a public server. Stopping it completely means locking the server, auto-admin, or a constant Sparta admin presense, no other way around it.

If you really want to play ground-pound only on a public server, then dom isn't the right game mode. It's too big and too redundant without earning support equipment. Teamwork and communication can work at any level, and it needs to be taught by leaders, not by regulation.

How about opening up the tactical mission server with a selection of ground-pound missions, which any authorized Sparta user can join and use with like minded people at any time? I've consistently posted different user missions I'd like to try with a small group in strict tactical. I should also invest more time in leadership on the main dom server to back up my statements above.

Oh and whatever happened with this??::

Airdom happened. People can get their rocks off in that map, which will help lessen the load on the primary map. Perhaps a message to that effect should scroll with the TS information in the other pub servers, something like "If you want immense power, please join our SPARTA-Airdom map. It's got jets, no waiting, instant vehicle respawns!" (or something less rude and more advert for the other server). Not this "If you do xyz, you will be banned, if you do abc, you will also be banned, oh, and if you do this then Halli's dog will eat you."

Also, the server hasn't been running my Sparta Domination for a week or two now, so don't blame me for things getting out of control. :/

No worries bud, not blaming anyone, just trying to make it more manageable and therefore fun.

MH6 - I have been getting many requests for your version of the map.

Ebden - the team captain version of moderation requires people to plan on working as a team in agreement first, that's why it works well for Tactical night. Medic's concern are for nights like last night where I joined the server and had to kick 10 people in the first 30 minutes of play for either not reading the TS no fly rule or excessive TKs, compounded by the fact that the towns were being completed in 8 minutes each.

Re: babysitting - This is not a lose lose situation from a long shot people. A quick way I have seen to clean up the pub server is to switch to nighttime Veteran. Allllllllll the noob stuff ends in about 5 minutes, people are forced to check their targets and communicate. The regular difficulty setting just shows you exactly what your next target is and there is no need to work with others. I personally like seeing it on the map, but rather play VetMode for the teamplay. As for air assets in the normal server, either remove fixed wing

altogether or let them be laser guided only.

Another option is to limit the server to 20 players instead of 40. This will force people to use all of our servers and make each town a bit more challenging.

As for air assets in the normal server, either remove fixed wing

altogether or let them be laser guided only.

I know everyone loves their attack jets, but I just don't see the value in a public server to have two people controlling almost every armor kill in the town. I've sat in that pilot's seat and know how hard it is to stay restrained from killing every single thing on the map.

Ebden - the team captain version of moderation requires people to plan on working as a team in agreement first, that's why it works well for Tactical night. Medic's concern are for nights like last night where I joined the server and had to kick 10 people in the first 30 minutes of play for either not reading the TS no fly rule or excessive TKs, compounded by the fact that the towns were being completed in 8 minutes each.

Is there any way to increase the AI skill as well? I don't mean their ability to shoot infantry, but the skill of their armor and air defenses to knock out the renegade A-10 (meaning strike teams to disable AA/AT are more critical in the first attack). I think there are a few addons around that tweak AI skill. Gung-ho on vet or exp mode as well.

As for last night, I don't know 'cause I chickened out and joined the tacdom server. Prior experience in BF2 and PR doesn't give any better outlook for bunghole players, though. If a server is open, they'll come in and need a ban. It's just part of the deal. Don't overlook how many great players Sparta has also met in the last few months as well by running the pub server (like moi :D ).

As far as playing cooperatively, I've seen the pub server come together well with firm guidance and a few choice kicks. Halli's my personal favorite, but that's because he is the most crotchety-sounding bastard of the lot. Anybody sitting in a server as an admin has got have no fun at all. A leader without any disciplinary ability to boot bungholes out the door also sucks. I'm not asking for admin priv's as a new sparta member, but setting up a schedule to keep someone with admin rights in the server at peak times AND one or two who will take reins as commander might be better. Keep 'em rotating every hour or so to keep the burden down.

Or-I wonder...any way to create a locked player class called a supply officer? They could be the admin, but also take charge of issuing 'keys' for assets to players who aren't dickheads. Vehicles would otherwise sit locked as they do in CTI until the assigned player unlocks the vehicle. Kit limiting, to a realistic scenario (eg, the AT soldier is the only bloke who spawns with a jav or SMAW), might also be an effective reg. I think it's been discussed elsewhere.