Spartans Home

Announcing: Sparta Tactical Domination Nights: UPDATED

Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll take opfor tonight again if you are stuck for volunteers :)

What what?

Is it that time again. If you need me to move little symbols around a screen whilst laughing manically I am your man

What am I doing tonight?

Trying to take over the world, Panic....

He'd probably be deadly with them as well. TacDom may be a little delayed today, possibly by a half-hour. We are trying to get the new version up, but most importantly, we're trying to get the random troop towns fixed so that we don't play kelm at first anymore. So, as of now, we're looking at 3:30pm EST

Thanks to Durka for MC'ing (in 'da house etc) another good evening of quality gaming.

I had an excellent squad of players, some very new to the concept, so undoubtedly being with the grumpy Welshman has put them off for life.

MH6

Lightspeed

Soldierblue

EBE

Hoot

We had the southern approach, and after losing our deposits on the tanks had to hoof it towards the AO. My thanks to MH6 for laying down very effective supression from his MG position(will ACE require us to carry those sandbags around on a trolley?). Even though he knew that it would atract major RPG action he went into the fray without (transmitted!) question.

EBE was our medic, who is training to be with the Red Arrows because he knows how to utilise smoke to make effective revives and even though he was constantly running around kept on top of all our savlon needs.

Lightspeed, Hoot and Soldierblue just kept plugging away at the almost constant stream of uninvited guests and during the whole first 1.5 hours we progressed about 150 metres, however I think we achieved the required aim of keeping forces occupied and away from Delta and Alpha.

Zeno and Dai tried a special forces rapid deployment, which seemed to consist of one of them flying a Cobra into the ground at high-speed - I am sure it was all part of a massive deception programme! We queried whether we should revive them, but Durka advised us in no uncertain terms that we should leave the the feckless destroyers of his multi-million tax dollar aircraft to burn (I think that is what 'they will respawn at base' means anyway)

T1 joined us about 3/4 of the way through and then proceeded to show how a SAW should be used by racking up the top-score in the squad in under 30 mins (Bad day at the office clearly)

We need volunteers for Squad Leaders please, if no one puts themselves forward then you will continue to end up with the likes of me, and if that makes you shudder then do something about it!

Edited by BPRLuggage

Thanks Luggage for the comprehensive report, interestingly I thought during the game that the Southern Probe might have been there for distraction, as there was little movement North towards to AO.

Yoshi played really well, but left early, so I concentrated on the West after he left, catching that squad in the trees was satisfying, I only wish that I could get the artilliary on target - as I know how devastating that can be.

Kalxen was welcome relief part way through - and helped enormously to stem the tide. Kal guessed that Durka might go firm inside the castle and swept in, killing the majority of the squad, how we laughed when Scorpian shot Kal, and then Durka shot Scorpian - Priceless.

The D30's played a blinder by themselves, they were really good, I felt no need to jump on one and start pounding away.

This was the first time I took Smaws and used them against dismounts - I think they sounded better rather than being effective.

The use of the MG cannot be under-estimated I retreated twice under sustained supression - I didn't make it once and had to sit for 3 years to re-spawn.

The AO was a tough one, being a mountain crest and being surrounded by woodland. This made using the squads real easy and most of the vehicles were paper-weights. Although I got two out into the East to try and protect the radio-tower.

Enjoyed the game as Opfor Cdr, it does make a difference having two in redfor - you can have some craic along the way.

I had an excellent squad of players, some very new to the concept, so undoubtedly being with the grumpy Welshman has put them off for life.

I know your style Luggage and I am comfortable with it - you keep control of the troops and things in order. I'm much the same actually when I lead a squad although you will tend to hear more swear words when I order players back into line. :P

sorry I had to leave halfway through, I dint think the session would take so long and had another commitment.

and apologies for the "*&%$ I'm dead" or "Oh $#%^ I'm down" - for some reason I cannot stop pressing 'Push to Talk' to announce it to everyone. I have considered cutting off my little finger so I can't reach the Ctrl button.

Great work on the first AO with all teams. I had never taken Devil's Castle yet, so this one was new on me, and proved to be pretty difficult, as I had imagined. I split the teams up into Alpha - Bravo - 2man Delta team. I sent Bravo ahead to the SE of the AO with 2 tanks and told them to take position and be ready to fire on the AO as a distraction so that Alpha could land and start taking the hill. Alpha left just a little earlier than I had planned without the order to move, but we got it handled. Delta was off to the east marking targets and creating a "screen" as well.

Once everyone was in place, I had Bravo's tanks fire onto the castle with everything they had. The aim was to at least keep heads down while Alpha inserted in the valley to the north undetected. It looks like it was a success because they got almost all the way up the hill without incident. Once Alpha was on the hill, I sent bravo to the southern road to try to make an assault from that direction. Delta was laying down arty on the eastern camp and radio tower, while Alpha was making a push to the enemy HQ to the northern side of the hill. I was standing on the opposite side of the valley to the north watching it unfold. (Great landing and movement Alpha)

Once Alpha destroyed the enemy HQ, they moved to the SE to support Delta while each team took down the RT and camp. Alpha then moved back up north so they could make an assault on the castle. I moved Delta into position about 100-200m east of Castle. Bravo was still bogged down to the south, losing their tanks, but I didn't know they were taking so much fire. It was good, because the other teams could enter the castle almost without incident.

I tried to set up a 2-pronged attack on the castle, with Alpha being the "Breach" team. Their goal was to lay down a Series-2 Arty strike on one of the openings. After the first series, both teams were supposed to move in and set up along the outside wall, so that when the 2nd series ended, they could enter. Delta was tasked with taking out a BMP. This first attempt didn't go as planned, as Alpha took an enemy vehicle and started firing in Delta's position, killing one I believe. They also went in too early and killed themselves with the 2nd series. This was my fault as I should have been more clear on what we were doing. At one point, I saw an Alpha member drive by a friendly who was down without reviving him. He may have been glitched, but it didn't look that way.

Once everyone was back and revived, we tried it again and it worked really well. Bravo was still bogged down to the south so I told Alpha to keep control of the castle and help Bravo. Delta got up high into a sniping position and covered Alpha the rest of the mission.

My original plan was to make a 3-pronged attack on the castle, with all teams moving in at the same time. Alpha from the North, Delta from the East, and Bravo from the South. This didn't work out perfectly, but it worked out. One thing to keep in mind for anyone wishing to be MC or SL in the future is "Time on Target." This is where a squad has to be in a position at a certain time so that all squads can move in a more coordinated manner. (that's why i had alpha wait at the beginning) Sometimes this works in game, sometimes not. Sometimes squads get bogged down, and others don't see action, so I try to move around to help with that. It would be great if we could get an actual complicated assault going next week, though.

We need volunteers for Squad Leaders please, if no one puts themselves forward then you will continue to end up with the likes of me, and if that makes you shudder then do something about it!

im happy to voluteer for next week , if i commit now it will make me turn up!!

gutted i missed it!!

im happy to voluteer for next week , if i commit now it will make me turn up!!

gutted i missed it!!

Luggs, I tried being squadleader twice, and to be honest I lose oversight and end up with a squad all over the place (and more experienced players taking over my role in the midst of battle). Maybe with a delta squad (the scout/snipers) that could be different as I am very patient in attacking when needed....

And by no means would I be displeased to serve under sergeant luggage...... :thumbsup_anim:

@Durka excelent report!.... The problem with being squad leader is that you have your squad saying when can we go , when can we go whilst the squad leader takes orders from MC. Maybe there should be some mute option were you can only hear MC. the squads need to be patient at that time and not move! an inch without orders because that is what got us into trouble every time. Though I see a steady ascend in our squad effectiveness and obeyance or orders. That makes tha friday nighs more fun....

I had trouble getting correct orders as to when put an arty strike were, and ended up with an expected arty strike being too late (entrance of teh castle) after that we went down

As an arty officer I enjoy being more of a spotter, and calling out tagerts to the better shooters in our squad.

On the other end I would like to be tank commander next time, I can be quite effective at than and I understood lightspeed had trouble understanding the how to's at the beginning?

Anyway another quality night with good people. :)

Forrester,

Yeah, the absolute hardest part, even in real life, is to rein in the troops and keep them from moving forward/backward until told to. And any squad leader can't let the others in the group take over, or chaos will end up happening. Any regular member of a team should have respect for the SLs in tacdom, or nothing will turn out the way it's supposed to. One member can do it the way they want to do it, and screw it up for everyone else, or they can sit tight for a bit, and work as a "team" so all can have some fun.