Spartans Home

My New Car BMW 318 ES Edition

Rocky

I am curious, do they tell you change the oil at the end of the "break in" period?

Well, this is something I have to sort out. The onboard computer tells me it is 14,000 miles to the next service! The salesman said that would start counting down shortly, but it is still at 14,000 miles. Seems a long time to go without an oil change, I thought new cars got a service quite quickly before the normal routine periods kicked in... I'll need to check on that.

Well, this is something I have to sort out. The onboard computer tells me it is 14,000 miles to the next service! The salesman said that would start counting down shortly, but it is still at 14,000 miles. Seems a long time to go without an oil change, I thought new cars got a service quite quickly before the normal routine periods kicked in... I'll need to check on that.

In the old days they put in special "running in" oil that had to be changed within 1000-2000miles along with the filter but they don´t do this anymore so u hardly need any running in at all and if u just keep a lighter food for the first 500-1000 miles then u have done enough.

When building a modern engine the tollerance on the sleeves pistons and pistonrings are so low that they can be run at high revs from the start without any risk of engine damage.

Well...

It is true the new silicon - steel alloys are very forgiving. I am just having trouble losing the habit of run in.

However, as a former mechanic, I change my oil every 3000 miles with standard oil.

I have one car with synthetic in it, I change it every 7500 miles. I do so because of the following:

The problem with today's car lubrication systems is synthetic oils last a long time, but the oil filters do not.

Even the very clean burning engines will eventually begin to clog the filter. Unless they are using some kind of filter with an unusually large surface area (it would have to be really big & expensive) the filter will clog before the life of the oil is used up.

As the filter clogs, the oil bypasses the filter and your running on unfiltered oil. As far as the engine is concerned, it is happy with continued normal (unfiltered) oil pressure.

I always tell people to at least change the filter and replace the oil lost during the filter change. Using a good quality "over the counter" oil filter, I do so at 7500 miles.

Changing oil is fairly cheap insurance that extends the life of the engine.

Interesting posts about the service schedules, very interesting.

I'm going to have to slow down a bit though, covered 600 miles in the first week, that's way over my budgeted estimate of 14,000 a year LOL.

Wash it? Ha, been washed 3 times in 7 days, DAMN scottish rain!