Spartans Home

Upgrade problems

DaiSan

How typical is this, I build/rebuild/repair PC's on nearly a daily basis and usually can get most things working but whenever I touch my own friggin PC I always get problems.

I've upgraded my Mobo, Ram and CPU and cannot get the damn gfx card to initialise. I get a single post beep as normal and can tell by the sound from the HD's that I am getting to my normal login screen but no video output (screen remains in standby).

I have tried all the usual, check connections, try re-seating everything. Even tried 2 different gfx cards in various PCI-E slots, no joy. Put my old stuff back in and viola, away we go.

I'm taking the whole thing to the suppliers tomorrow to see if they have any ideas but thought I would post here first to see if anyone may have come across something similar with any of the kit.

The new stuff is:

ASUS P5Q-E motherboard.

4gb (2 x 2gb) OCZ Reaper DDR2

Intel Quad core Q6600 2.4ghz

BFG NVidia 8800GT

If anyone has any ideas please feel free to post ;)

Try setting you monitor back to default before changeing the card, could be the monitor is set weard and won't be driven, or desplay the new card thats running at default. What cable are you useing? dvi to vga? or hdmi to dvi? is the monitor lcd? tell us more.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Tried using only one stick of ram, (tried either, in all slots). No joy.

As I said, I have tried different gfx cards in all slots (now tried 3, my 8800GT, 7900GT and 6600GT) all work with old mobo)

The Mobo is brand new but I tried resetting the bios anyway. No joy.

The monitor is a Viewsonic 20.1 inch LCD running at the standard 1680 x 1050 resolution using a DVI to DVI cable.

Sorry I put some wrong info in the original post, the 8800GT is not new, it is my existing gfx card, I just put it in as information but put it under the new stuff bit ;)

Good tries, but already tested and no joy unfortunately :(

Edited by Dai-San~SPARTA~

I had a similar problem with my brother-in?law computer not so long ago, it turned out that all the ram slot?s had to be filled, so he ended up with two stick of ram & two blank stick. That solved his problem but he?s got an old mother broad.

IPB ImageYou may need to talk to someone who works in IT, those IT guys know what their doing. IPB Image

Some ideas

IPB ImageIPB Image

To me it sounds like the mobo is broke.

If the system starts running like u said then it can only be the gpu hence either the pci-e slot or the gpu itself and u have already tried another gpu so that leaves u with the slot. The system itself can start up without the gpu running cos thats running from a driver within windows but its the only piece of hardware that dosn´t need to be there for the system to run. Its not the first time that happens. I have never heard of a monitor or bios that can cause such a problem.

No picture=Broke mobo :rolleyes:

As I am not tech savy I have ran across problems of my own as when I built my current system all was ready to fire up

I pressed button and heard a beep then heard fans but no image.

Next After pulling some hair out and other panic ideas I pressed down on the processer fan and all of a sudden it came to life.

I have also heard that if the OCZ ram is not set to 2.0 volts it will not boot, mine did boot but after reading about the voltage settings many folks systems would not untill the volts were set correct.

As far as you building systems well a plumbers sink always drips.....haha good luck bud.

Bloody nightmare.

I have built 2 gaming rigs. The first rig wouldnt boot at all. It turned out to be the expensive, allegedly match tested Corsair Dominator ram. The second "gaming" rig would play any games, that turned out to be the expensive 8800GTX graphics card. Frustration is parting with your well earned dosh to build a quality rig, but finding it doesnt work. A true Hmalet moment.

I tell the storie I had with a ABITT k9sli Fatality board. NO BOOT due to the ram, The compatibilty chart on their webb sight said it was compatible with the ram I bought wicth cost more then the board. Well It turns out that board was so finicky that it could only use 2 different special types of ram. 1 was mushkin and out of stock and the outher was kingston and it was way more then the ram I had allready. So back went that board. Anouther valueible lession learned there! It seems more often these days the defective rate is steadly riseing. Then I had a MSI board, with a AMD 5000+ Put a AMD 6400+ black edition cpu on it and it burned out. Got it RMA and its in the wifes machine now. The SOYO dragon KT400 that was in there went into the trash can along with a AMD k7 3000+. That SOYO burned out 3 tiewan power supplys, one of wicth was a thermal take tough power 500 watt. Got a logisys baddog 500 and it was ok. Its a toss of the coin if its gonna work.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Supplier swapped out the Mobo today so hopefully I may be back in business tonight ;)

Thi seems to be the trouble nowadays, the more expensive the component the more prone to problems. Luckily most of our customers want middle of the road systems which we can build all day long and they last forever :D

yeah I know what you mean Dia-San when you say those middle of the road systems last a long time and cutting edge hardware has problems initially.

The system I have now I built in July of 2004. At the time it was a fairly good system and somehow... it is still performing at an acceptable level.

It is an Asus K8V SE Delux skt. 754 board with an Athlon 3400+ processor, one gig of Corsair XMS CL2 ram and

an old but reliable ATI 9800pro video card (128 meg card). I can't believe it is still running this stuff, but it is.

Granted it has frame rates in the mid 20 fps at times in Arma, but it is usually in the mid 30's.

To me this thing is like a "bumble bee"... it shouldn't fly... but it does.

(correction, now we know the bee rides horizontal vortices)

I am going to build a new system this fall. With DirectX 10 on the way I think it will be an absolute necessity.

I have concluded that I will build with hardware that has been out for at least 6 months. I believe that will be a bit less

likely to have frustrating startup problems.

BTW is that viewsonic monitor going to actually use DVI with the "work arounds" ?