Rail Buggy project

Athlon64~SPARTA~

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Excellent so far Athlon your going to have to celebrate when this is done :cheers:

Is the wife still threatening to kill you? :D or has the slide making it possible for her to drive improved

that situation?

I don't remember if your going to rivet or use fasteners for the body sheetmetal?

Either way I must :beatdeadhorse: on one suggestion.

I know the top and bottom frame assemblies assist in maintaining alignment, and you have been very careful (and skilled) at checking your build alignments but I am still concerned on one item.

They have provided you reference points for axle alignments so you might not think it is necessary, but it might be prudent to check some of the alignment points between axles and axle to frame. Could save alot of extra work at the end

if you need access to some part of the frame.

Even in the best custom assembly shops in the country have trouble in these area's. They use expensive fixtures or they check them often.

I have one idea if your concerned.

There is one system I introduced into the "Highway Truck" manufacturing lines at Mack Truck called "JOSAM". It was developed in Sweden and is mostly designed for trucks, but they have one version that is portable and can be taken to vehicle site.

I don't know if you have anyone in the area but the factory rep that provided and trained our teams was based in Orlando.

The JOSAM product site is: http://www.josam.se/

The unit I have in mind is the "speedaligner".

I don't remember the recommended minimum axle seperation is but it might be able to check these critical areas for you.

On a side note.

When I worked at Mack, we were owned by Renault Trucks. (I had to do the trip to france 2 or 3 times a year) I see they are still affiliated with Josam so they must have finally been satisfied enough to take it to france.

After proving to them that we could align the trucks while in the manuf. line, (we were using Hunter Alignment equip off line) The French are hard to please... actually they are a "pain-in-the-ass" to please.

They decided to see what happened in warranty for a year or two at Mack before they took it to france. ha-ha :D

I was offered a position at another company and left Mack Truck, Then Renault sold Mack to GM. (GM also owns Volvo Trucks) so I don't know if they have continued using it.