Spartans Home

Pun's New Rig

Ive finally decided to purchase a brand new big to replace my dieing old P4 system. Been saving for a long time to afford this so i spent as much as I could without breaking the bank. I know its a tad more then my needs but it will need to last me quite a while. I had the 8800GT and power supply since Christmas and had everything else delivered today. This will be my first build so i am hoping all goes well.

Ive done what I consider to be pretty good research, so here are the fruits of my labour:

Coolermaster CM 690 Mid Tower Black ATX Case 5X5.25 5X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound Firewire & eSATA

EVGA GeForce 8800 GT

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad 750W ATX V2.2 EPS12V 24PIN SLI Active PFC Power Supply

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3.5IN 500GB SATA2 8.5MS 7200RPM 32MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive

LG G-H20NS10 Black DVD+RW 20X8X16 DVD-RW 20X6X16 INT SATA OEM DVD Writer 1

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Quad Core Processor LGA775 2.66GHZ Yorkfield 1333FSB 12MB OEM

G.SKILL F2-8000CL5D-4GBPI Pi PC2-8000 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

Gigabyte X48-DS4 ATX LGA775 X48 DDR2 2PCI-E 2PCI SATA2 RAID Sound 2GLAN 1394 CrossFireX Motherboard

Kingwin RVT-12025 Direct Touch 3 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 LGA775 S754 S939 S940 W/ 120MM PWM Fan

User posted image

I havent built it yet. Im planning on doing either Thursday or Saturday, depending on the time. Ive never built my own rig before, so if anyone has any tips or tricks, Id appreciate it. Ill post more pics come building time.

Have fun putting it together, can't believe you've been pwning me with a P4 rig I'm getting quite scared of how good you will get with the new rig LOL.

you missed out the operating system ?

IF it's Windows XP or Vista 32 bit then you will see only 3GB approx as

32bit OS has max 4GB addresses which inc all video memory, motherboard

memory,soundcard memory etc. Infact any memory the system has to

see has to be addressed.

IF you go for 64bit OS there is no 4 GB limit to memory so your system will

show all of it be the appz for 64bit and drivers can be harder to get.

Hope your build goes well, there are loads of techies here and some system

admins to guide you through getting the most out of the build.

the build is all ways fun and dandy (unless some this doesnt work and you have to then work out what it is)

but waring the hardest and most time consuming part is the bloody oprating system. siting there loading it and stuff is the worst part but is very rewarding afterwords knowing that you put it togeather your self.

have fun.

Very nice Punisher.....very nice.....Congrats!!

Hope the build goes smoothly for ya (I'm sure it will).

Enjoy that beast bud....I know you've waited a long time for it.

Just one little thing...

Considering your historical prowess on the battle field please short CPU pins F28/G28 to ground prior to playing on our server.... :lol:

Peace

(Just kiddin' about the pin shortin' thing..... :unsure: )

good choice on processor, im jealous. I would of opted for the 4GB of Gskil ddr2-1066 thru newegg for $135

That kit was 150+ dollars for me since im up in Canada, but I got this one for something like a 102 because www.NCIX.com allows pricematching of products for Canadians. Plus I got the new PI heatspreaders even though there not going to mean much for me.

Have fun putting it together, can't believe you've been pwning me with a P4 rig I'm getting quite scared of how good you will get with the new rig LOL.

Thats the master plan. Only thing now is when people say i killed them because of my rig, Ill have no excuses <_< .

you missed out the operating system ?

IF it's Windows XP or Vista 32 bit then you will see only 3GB approx as

32bit OS has max 4GB addresses which inc all video memory, motherboard

memory,soundcard memory etc. Infact any memory the system has to

see has to be addressed.

IF you go for 64bit OS there is no 4 GB limit to memory so your system will

show all of it be the appz for 64bit and drivers can be harder to get.

Hope your build goes well, there are loads of techies here and some system

admins to guide you through getting the most out of the build.

Im just going to run XP Home 32bit thats left over from my other rig for now. Ill be getting a new OS soon, as I can get them really cheap through a friends work, but I havent decided on XP or Vista, 32bit or 64bit yet.

And I know Im only going to get around 3 GB of ram, but ddr2 is so cheap the the 4GB kits were only a tiny bit more expensive then the 2GB kits.

Keep those fingers crossed, My friend Dog face had to send his Asus board back 2 times untill he got A good one. His was a real bictoch to get going. But finely got it up and running.

Well, youve just jinxed me Athlon. If anything goes wrong, I can now solely blame it on you :P

Considering your historical prowess on the battle field please short CPU pins F28/G28 to ground prior to playing on our server.... :lol:

If you could just post a little diagram showing me which pins are which, Ill be happy to support your anti-Punisher initiative ;)

Thanks for the good luck wishes. Hopefully going to get most of it set up tomorrow so I can be ready for either GR.Net scrim.

Edited by Punisher~SPARTA~

Not sure there is much benifit yet to go for Vista, I just put Service Pack 3 on my XP machine and it runs real good.

Some guys here run both may be they could give us an opinion on the games we all play is there a reason to go for Vista?

Little update.

Went to start the building today and everything went smoothly until I got to the mounting of the heatsink. Apparently in transit, one of the feet of my pushpins was bent a little so it made mounting difficult. This being my first build, I was extremely careful with pins, as I was afraid they would break. Eventually I started using a tad more force, until I was pushing with as much pressure as I could musher on the little buggers. Eventually the suckers went in, but I still dont trust them so ill be buying a backplate kit for heatsink in the near future.

I didnt get to finish it today, since the pins took so long, but itll be done tomorrow and I should be ready for the cod scrim on saturday. Pics will come tomorrow as I havent had time to upload them.

I finished building on Saturday and got all of the software loaded up on Sunday. It was a bit of a headache in some parts of the build, just mainly because i wasnt quite sure what to do at times, or just plain not thinking. I had a huge problem with a network card not working on this machine or another one in the house after being taken from my old rig. Had to swap network cards to get everything to work properly

Everything is working and good now, so here are some pics.

All of the parts for the system pre installation.

User posted image

After installing a bunch of the fans, I realized that I had run out of screws somehow and was wondering how I was going to attach the last fan. I saw someone use zipties once so I thought Id try it. They do a nice job of holding the fan in place, but you can really here the vibrations from the fan without it mounted properly. Ill probably scavange from some screws later as the computer is almost silent without that fan running.

User posted image

Power supply and fans mounted.

User posted image

Motherboard with everything mounted. The Intel pushpins on this thing were absolute hell to install for me. Ill probably end up being a seperate mounting kit next time a buy some hardware just being I dont trust those things.

User posted image

Seperate angle with the RAM front and center.

User posted image

Heres all the bits mounted in the case.

User posted image

Just installing Windows

User posted image

A look at everything put together in the case. Ive cleaned up the case a little since the photo but its really hard to do without a modular power supply. There isnt really a lot of room to store that many cables in the CM 690, but I did my best to hide them at the back. Empty HD racks were removed for better airflow from the front fan.

User posted image

Finished product

User posted image

User posted image

Default 3dmark is around 12k if i remember right. Ill run it again tomorrow to make sure.