Spartans Home

AMD

I still believe AMD is producing some very respectable CPUs at very effordable prices.

I think it s all a matter of what you have to do with it. I built a phenomenal HTPC based on a cheap AMD dualcore and I love it.

Looking at benchmarks it seems AMD has it very straight when it comes on Media, being very competitive. When it comes on games it s still behind tho.

This is perfectly fine to me. gaming is not the only reasn PCs are out there. Raw performances are not always the only reason why you bulid a mmachine.

I actually bought a car with a turbo engine and 274hp, however I am deeply in love with the Smart car or the Fiat 500. I had the Smart car for about 1 year when i was in Italy and I loved that car, I had 2 Fiat 500 in my family, but I am talking about the original one, 1966, and those were outstanding too.

It depends what you have to do with them :)

AMD will always be a viable counterpart when it comes to whatever is not gaming, at least at this moment :)

NAA PileDriver is going to do just what it says PILE DRIVE intell back to the stone age with 26% improvment over the Bulldozer, And that will Cacth intell and more in likely pass them up.Bulldozer is right there with intell anyway. PileDriver will pass them up. Seems they stold back the hyperthreading that intell stold from AMD to begin with. And introducing a turboboost simular to intells boost and will do it useing less power then then the I7 crappy bridge and ivy bridge in the 942 socket configuration . The new resonant clock mesh, a clever feature which will also be responsible for improved thermals and higher attainable clock speeds in the new FX unlocked and still the worlds first 8 core 32nm CPU useing 1866MHz DDR3 memory controllers

So wacth for the ignorant run the motherboard at default settings reviews from the idiot test people thinking they can write a informed review done buy MEDIA REPORTERS, isent that the same as a news paper reporter? or Paparazzi Ok then, ile beleve that LOL!!!!

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Amd's best cpu cant even compete with Intels junk I3 2100......so what are you talking about with BD is right there with Intel? thats nonsense.

The 10% clock for clock over BD and 25% under "multimedia workload" wont help them much......they wont even come close to SB let alone IB.....this failing company should keep on producing cpu's on aging platforms,AMD is doing exactly what Intel was doing when they made their junk Pentium 4s....but the difference here is Intel made money at that time, AMD right now is losing 200m $ per Quarter....eventually they will go down dragging ATI with them.

Well looks to me that Ati sales are doing as good as invidia and AMD is doing a come back. Being these chips are designed in germany we will see. I don't know about the tech news in holland. But tech news in america says different. I don't follow the stock market on these companys, but im sure intell wasen't doing very well a couple of years ago when AMD was on top for years.

From what i have heard invidia vid cards are in short supply, not enough being mfgered and theres a shortage as of now. Thats the reasion why the second tier cards are so popular. So we will wacth and wait and see what happends. I don't depend on what MEDIA REPORTERS SAY. I feel sorry for the ones do.

Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.46GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7990X $1,029.99

AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8150FRGUBOX

Now: $199.99

And don't post up some review from some Media reporter default settings review. thats not a fair comparsion at all.

So if the bulldozer is not right there then the piledriver will be as its useing intells tuboboost technoligy in a 8 core, intel is only 6 core as of now..

And if your running your motherboard on automatic settings you are not getting the preformance from your machine anyway. And if you don't know how to set it then theres no argument anyway.

Athlon, you talk a lot of junk about "media reporters" and not believing what we read on the internet... so please share with us where you are getting your information that has you so convinced that AMD has the superior product.

As for the overall discussion, I am neutral. I have had both Intel and AMD products; I didn't have a negative experience with either. As for comparing these two particular chips, I really couldn't give a less of a shit. I do not (and will not, for the foreseeable future) need a six or eight core processor. The most modern day games are just starting to scratch the surface on utilizing more than a single core.

The majority of the time this Intel vs. AMD argument comes up is like watching two kids on the playground fighting about who's father is the bigger badass. You sound ridiculous.

- JHunter

Intel Core i3-2100 for a 119$ beats that FX 8150 at everything but software that takes advantage of more than 2 cores...which is only professional and hobbyists...that recode movies etc....

i find that the intel vs AMD argument is like the chevy vs ford argument...

That said I am a HUGE AMD fan.... I just rebuilt my 'puter and I went Intel I7.

i am not ashamed of this at all. I went with the i7 1155 chip. that is because it has nearly the same performance as the 1366 and at a significantly lower cost.

The performance is far better than a 8150 Bulldozer and only costs 20 bucks more.... I know I researched it for 2 months.

I think the name bulldozer fits the amd chip.... solid , reliable, and slow but able to move anything with ease.

Athlon I love you but I completely disagree with your conclustions

Lol,

All of this is something fun anyway.

We are tech guys, and we have solid believes, Some are "more solid" than others, but is an interesting discussion.

However, it is just fun for what it is and will not drive to any conclusion. There is "no better product" based on a forum discussion. There is the product that is better "for you".

With that said, all of this is like to say:

AMD vs Nvida

AMD vs Intel

Steam vs the rest of the world

... and you can continue if you like. Each one has a different opinion and is fun to read our comments :)

I am actually not loyal to anyone. I like to look around and try to find the best price/performance for what i want. then manufacturer is a secondary aspect because more or less they are all there with similar products. One day AMD is a winner, one day Nvidia is a winner, one day Intel is awinner and so forth.

This is great because keeps competition rolling and bottom line it means better prices for me ;)

I have no brand bias at all: I've had Intel, AMD, NVIDIA & ATI systems, usually driven by price.

This is a somewhat generalised commercial view but just wanted to follow up on Batwing's comment.

In simple terms if 2 products within the same commodity are similar in performance, then market cost of each would be close. If one is significantly more expensive it can be considered that it is a 'better' product. Some of the difference could be attributed to brand image but not all.

This is a very simplistic statement but the price disparities would suggest the current Intel chips are better, somehow than the perceived AND equivalents.

AMD needs to bring out a line of 'gaming' chips. Intel figured this out already. Less cores doing more to compliment their GPU line. Sure there will be people who like having an 8 core just as they like having 64gb of ram, but it's not going to sell a lot if it doesn't up your 3dmarks.

I like what i like, and run what i run, Been building computers when most of you younger fellas where in grade school. Ya its the chevy ford arguement.

as for what I mean buy Media reporter is a news paper reporter ( jimmy olson of the dayley planet) doing reviews on computers is what most of those review sights are full of, Especially toms hardwhare. These people have no credentials, are not certified test engineers. So i Don't want to hear about a review from Jimmy olson on a new vid card when they say its better then the rest.

Intell fans, like it or not AMD is cacthing up fast, And if your offended buy it, sorry. I only posted up amds new chip comming out and if you have a problem with that sorry about your luck.

I have a 426 ci hemi in a 1972 cuda with a 1 barrel carb. it will only do 14 seconds in the 1/4 mile run. Now if i change out the intake to 2) 4 barrel carbs it will now do 9 seconds in the 1/4 mile run. What have i ecomplished?

What we are talking about is a manufacturer building a car that is illegal for the current popular racing classes and basically completely impractical. Now this car might be great, but since you're outlawed from racing it against your competition no one will ever know it. It's destined to be stuck in a small niche of the racing world and never in mainstream coverage, maybe in outlaw classes or a spec racing series. Safe to say there won't be any lunch boxes with your cool car on it. You need to build and become successful with a 'homologation special' to get people who aren't already sold on your brand to even consider buying one.

Useing that as a scenario as to what kind of performance one could get if set up in bios propley.

Well theres more to the series to come out

Bulldozer

PileDriver

SteamRoller

Excavatior

And Talk of a totally new FM2 socket for the AMD's Komodo 10 core processor 22nm design AMD to improve IPC (instructions per clock) performance and reduce power consumption at the same time, which transforms into higher clock-speeds.

Processors with model number 2xh will have up to 5 modules, or up 10 cores, and support quad-channel DDR3 memory. Like Bulldozer CPUs, which are aimed at both desktop and server markets, 2xh may also target both markets. We suspect that 2xh parts will be released as "Vishera" CPUs on desktop, and "Terramar" and "Sepang" processors for servers. It is possible that server Terramar Opterons, that will integrate two dies on a chip and have up to 20 cores, will support 8 memory channels.

New technoligy in AMD chips called Cyclos

Cyclos claims that the x86 processing core design destined for Piledriver processors will include its resonant clock mesh technology. The technology, invented by Cyclos, uses on-chip inductors to create an electric pendulum known as a 'tank circuit,' formed by the large capacitance of the clock mesh in parallel with the inductors. The result is a system which 'recycles' the clock power instead of watching it dissipate on every clock cycle as with traditional systems. AMD has confirmed that Cyclos' resonant clock mesh technology will be a part of the x86 portions of Piledriver on the desktop and in the server room. Cyclos itself, meanwhile, has announced plans to target system-on-chip (SoC) companies like Texas Instruments, Nvidia, Qualcomm and Intel with the same technology in order to drive down the power draw of mobile processors. Allrighty then.

http://www.bit-tech....os-piledriver/1

AMD overclocks Bulldozer to 8.429GHz

AMD claims to have set a new Guinness world record in the category of 'Highest Frequency of a Computer Processor' with one of its forthcoming Bulldozer processors. Bulldozer is the codename for what will soon be known as the FX range of processors that AMD is due to launch later this year. A team of AMD engineers led by the charming Sami Makinen used a combination of LN2 (liquid nitrogen) and liquid helium to cool the Bulldozer CPU to below -180˚C and managed to snag a verified CPU-Z screenshot at an astounding 8.429GHz. To put this into context, the previous world record, set by the Latvian overclocker Tapakah, stood at 8.309GHz, achieved on a single-core Intel Celeron D 352. Not only is the incredible frequency achieved by AMD a great indication of the overclocking potential of Bulldozer, but it also shows that the chip doesn't necessarily suffer from the cold bugs that often plague modern CPUs. The record-breaking processor speed that resides in the AMD FX CPU clearly demonstrates performance gains for the new AMD Bulldozer multi-core architecture,' commented AMD's corporate vice president and general manager of its client group, Chris Cloran. 'Along with world-record frequencies, the AMD FX processor will enable an unrivalled enthusiast PC experience for the money. AMD has still yet to publicly announce the release date for its range of FX processors based on the Bulldozer architecture, but in the meantime you can watch the official AMD video of its overclocking record.

http://www.bit-tech....r-to-8-429ghz/1

Did I hear some laughing? I dident think so.

And don't post up some review from some Media reporter default settings review. thats not a fair comparsion at all.

yet you come up with one that switches from I5 to I7 at its leisure....woow.....ok lol

Lol,

All of this is something fun anyway.

We are tech guys, and we have solid believes, Some are "more solid" than others, but is an interesting discussion.

However, it is just fun for what it is and will not drive to any conclusion. There is "no better product" based on a forum discussion. There is the product that is better "for you".

With that said, all of this is like to say:

AMD vs Nvida

AMD vs Intel

Steam vs the rest of the world

... and you can continue if you like. Each one has a different opinion and is fun to read our comments :)

I am actually not loyal to anyone. I like to look around and try to find the best price/performance for what i want. then manufacturer is a secondary aspect because more or less they are all there with similar products. One day AMD is a winner, one day Nvidia is a winner, one day Intel is awinner and so forth.

This is great because keeps competition rolling and bottom line it means better prices for me ;)

AMEN to that Batwing......Its all about what fits your style of computing ;)

I don't know i dident make the video. Glade i dident spend a $1000 on a intell ide be really mad about now. Or really mad at the 3rd quarter anyhow.

END of Thread friends Any ferther remarks or questions email AMD. i sure they will be glade to answer them for you.

• 1 year later...

Well the FX 9590 8 core 5ghz has done it, there nay sayers, for $300.00 have done intell in, Laugh that up!

They have dropped in the 4bbl carberator.

Just go ahead and pull the blanket all the way over your head Hibachi. :stars-mind: LOL!

AMD Unleashes First-Ever 5 GHz Processor

Enthusiasts get unbelievable PC performance with new AMD FX-9000 Series Processor

Los Angeles— E3 —6/11/2013

AMD (NYSE: AMD) today unveiled its most powerful member of the legendary AMD FX family of CPUs, the world’s first commercially available 5 GHz CPU processor, the AMD FX-9590. These 8-core CPUs deliver new levels of gaming and multimedia performance for desktop enthusiasts. AMD FX-9000 Series CPUs will be available initially in PCs through system integrators.

“At E3 this week, AMD demonstrated why it is at the core of gaming,” said Bernd Lienhard, corporate vice president and general manager, Client Products Division at AMD. “The new FX 5 GHz processor is an emphatic performance statement to the most demanding gamers seeking ultra-high resolution experiences including AMD Eyefinity technology. This is another proud innovation for AMD in delivering the world’s first commercially available 5 GHz processor.”

“AMD continues to push the envelope when it comes to desktop capabilities and power performance,” said Wallace Santos, CEO and founder of MAINGEAR. “In unveiling the world’s first 5 GHz 8-core CPU, AMD continues to lead the way in innovation while providing our customers with a best-in-class experience. We are thrilled to be part of this exciting launch.”

The new 5 GHz FX-9590 and 4.7 GHz FX-9370 feature the “Piledriver” architecture, are unlocked for easy overclocking and pave the way for enthusiasts to enjoy higher CPU speeds and related performance gains1. Additionally, these processors feature AMD Turbo Core 3.0 technology to dynamically optimize performance across CPU cores and enable maximum computing for the most intensive workloads.

AMD was the first to break the 1 GHz barrier in May of 2000 and continues to set the standard in technology innovation including the first Windows compatible 64-bit PC processor and the first native dual-core and quad-core processors. AMD also introduced the first APU (unifying CPU and Radeon™ graphics on the same chip) and the first x86 quad-core SoC, continuing forward with HSA architectures and programming models.

The new AMD FX CPUs will be available from system integrators globally beginning this summer. Two models will be available:

• FX-9590: Eight “Piledriver” cores, 5 GHz Max Turbo
  • FX-9370: Eight “Piledriver” cores, 4.7 GHz Max Turbo
  • Thats race leagle! And if thats not enough theres more in the series to be released yet, Probley the first to break the 6ghz barrier at default as well. :winner_first: :banana:

The end!

at least their marketing works on someone! not really sure what you think it's so good though?

*$350 you know it dropped from $900 because no one bought one?

for an overclocked FX-8350 (which is a good buy for $200), it's still a massive rip off, (luckily noone buys one - hence marketing exercise). + no one wants a 220w cpu inside their computer warming up their whole house :hysterical:

you know it can't run 8 cores at 5Gz? clever wording by the marketeers

don't even start compairing with intel... read the reviews not the marketing!! (and see the mighty 8 cores demolished by it's poor 4 core intel competition ;) )

seriously are we being trolled here???????? :zzzzz: